Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 05:21 PM   #1
kr1stee
Earning My Ears

Best southern ca beach?

Huntington, Newport or Laguna Beach? We will be going to the Santa Monica pier. Thanks!
kr1stee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:22 AM   #2
alex881
Mouseketeer

Laguna Beach. Huntington was kind of boring compared to laguna. Laguna has tide pools and cool cliffs etc. Newport is nice too but if I had to choose one, it'd be laguna.
alex881 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-01-2013, 12:01 PM   #3
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!
I am lucky to have kids who also love Disney and a husband who loves it (and us) enough to humor my passion!

It really depends on you. Kids? Time of year? Planning to go in the ocean? What's important -- people watching, activities nearby, access?

PHXscuba
PHXscuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:52 PM   #4
kr1stee
Earning My Ears

We will be going in June and I have 3 girls ages 2, 6 and 10. We are going mainly to relax on the beach and just walk around since we are from Alaska. Nothing special. Lol
Old 05-01-2013, 04:58 PM   #5
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr1stee View Post
Huntington, Newport or Laguna Beach? We will be going to the Santa Monica pier. Thanks!
I've been to all three many times, and with kids, I'd definitely vote for Newport! I created a Newport thread a while ago - it might help a bit! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2895078
Disneyland (x many since 1975), Poly (x many since 1983), BC (x many since 1992), BWI (x3), YC, CR, WL (x2), AKL, POFQ, Dolphin, CSR (x3), CBR, POR-Riverside, All Star Sports, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, runDisney: 2013 Inaugural Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and Cinderella Family 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AKL/GF/BWI!)
pixarmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:00 PM   #6
kr1stee
Earning My Ears

Thanks so much!
Old 05-02-2013, 06:15 PM   #7
Mary Jo
Techarita
Loves the star on the mountain

DISboards Moderator

I really like Newport, also. They have shops/restaurants, places to rent boogie boards, etc., and the waves are kind of mild, which are nice when you have children.
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #8
Cheshirecatty
DIS Veteran

Does anyone know anything about Seal Beach?

Is it anywhere near Disneyland area OR worth checking out?
Cheshirecatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #9
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!
I am lucky to have kids who also love Disney and a husband who loves it (and us) enough to humor my passion!

Seal Beach is the next area north of Huntington Beach, so it's in the area. I haven't been there in years. Every beach is nice -- it's a matter of taste and what you want to do around the beach area.

PHXscuba
PHXscuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:14 PM   #10
Mary Jo
Techarita
Loves the star on the mountain

DISboards Moderator

Seal Beach is nice, and there is a street leading up to it, Main Street, that has some nice shops and places to eat.
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:19 AM   #11
ILUVALASKA
DIS Veteran

I used to live in SEal Beach!!!!!!!!!!!! Laguna Beach has a much much nicer beach, cleaner bathrooms, tidepools, shops, restaurants, and a park.

me:DHDS

CMU Tartan Family
ILUVALASKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:35 AM   #12
summerw
Mouseketeer

Will your 2 year old go in the water? There's a spot called "baby beach" in Dana Point Harbor (just south of Laguna) that has no waves.

Otherwise, all 3 have nice qualities. Huntington has professional surf and volleyball competitions and shopping at places like Jack's Surfboards and lots of restaurants. Don't go too far south of the pier as the walk from the sand to water gets longer, which is my objection to most spots in Newport. I don't mind a long walk to the water if it's just me, but if it's me and DS3 and the mountain of stuff kids seem to require and hot sand DS3 complains about walking on, I want a short beach. Newport is a mixture of really old school surf shops and fancy stores and restaurants just off the beach. Laguna can get the most crowded because of how it's situated next to a canyon, and when the Sawdust festival is in town, that's very true. However, it has beautiful art galleries and nice restaurants. There's a wooden pathway that crosses some of the beach.

Really it just depends on what you like.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:58 AM   #13
Plaid Princess
Recovering CM, Pilot in Training

Personally, I'd say Huntington Beach, but I'm quite biased. It has the most restaurants/activities/shops within walking distance.

Newport doesn't have too much in the way of entertainment, but Big Corona Beach is one of my favorites on the west coast. It's actually a fairly small beach, great for kids because they can't get too far away from you. It also has tide pools and fairly calm waves.

Plaid Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:08 PM   #14
ArielSparrow
From Fins to Fila

Growing up my mom would take us to Newport Beach and Balboa Island, so it's probably best fit for families. I'm not sure if I've ever been to Laguna Beach, and to me it's quite a bit further. Newport is the closest and easiest to get to from Anaheim.

Nowadays I find myself at Huntington more. The reason it's popular is because of the great waves and abundance of fire pits. If you aren't going to surf or have a bonfire, you'd be better off somewhere else. Everything else is very nice, but those are the major draws.

Seal Beach is cute but much smaller. Huntington and Newport have more tourist things available. There is a dog beach at Seal Beach and in Long Beach, as well as a mother's beach at Long Beach. In general, unless you are staying in Long Beach though, I'd say to avoid it. Or if you are visiting the aquarium, which is VERY nice.

In Newport Beach there is Newport Dunes, a beach with small lapping waves and a playground (I remember loving this as a kid). It's probably the safest as far as currents for the kids to swim in, but I know the last time I went there were jellyfish. That was many years ago, so I'd look into it. The nice thing about that too is it's a RV park so there is a liquor store right there if you want snacks. I think there were bathrooms with actual plumbing too.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:55 PM   #15
KCmike
Never have fallen asleep on any attraction
Nothing wrong for dreaming for sure

Newport is very nice and Corona Del Mar is connected to it just to the south but you have to drive down to it because there is a jetty in the way. CDM is the perfect crescent shaped beach with large homes behind it on the cliff. Both would be perfect combo for a visit. You can also catch sunset cruises from Newport for as little as $15 per person where they take you around the harbor and then onto the Pacific Ocean to watch the sunset over the Cali coast.
2013 WDW, Universal, and SeaWorld with the kids and their High School Marching Band Event
2012 Back to Disneyland for a late June/Early July Vacation|2011- WDW Grand Floridian/Port Orleans Riverside |2010 - Disneyland/Monterey 20th Anniversary Day trip and 1st time to see Christmas at any park (BWPPI)
2010 - Disneyland (Grand Californian) |2009 - Disneyland/San Francisco/Monterey/ Yosemite National Park (Disneyland Hotel) |2008 - Disneyland/San Diego (Hotel Del Coronado & Hojo) |2007 - Disneyland (Fairfield Inn) |2006 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |2004 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |1996 - WDW - Dixie Landings |1993 - WDW - Offsite |1992 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee |1990 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee

Gear:Canon 60d, Canon xti, and a few lenses
KCmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: