Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 08:34 PM   #616
DOOM1001
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofeygirl View Post
It sounds sucky but at the same time...once you get started....I wonder about that one because this year it was dreadfully hot. Esp doing the full where it was really hot against that black pavement.

I know when the time comes I will pack a load of toss away clothes in case it does turn into Disney on Ice part two.

I know I live in South Florida so I'm used to hot temps but I ran the full marathon this year and at least for me it was just slightly warm,and that was during the later miles.I remember on the way to MK it actually felt like they turned on the A/C for a short while and even around AK it was pretty comfortable.I'm really hoping the 2014 marathon weekend has a lot of nice sunny days with highs of 65 and lows of 50.If there's a repeat of 2010 getting from the hotel to the starting line and waiting for the start would probably be harder than running the marathon,at least for me.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:53 AM   #617
HealthyDisneyGuide
always planning the next trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crewmatt View Post
I'm going to try to train to have a tempo run and a long run on consecutive days
That's about how my plan looks. I know I can do it, it's just a question of how much I need to back off in the half to get through the full. I'll learn that in training this fall.
HealthyDisneyGuide is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-29-2013, 08:07 AM   #618
dumbo_buddy
DIS Veteran

my plan is to be extremely conservative in my dopey effort. i plan to walk all or most of the three races leading up to the marathon. i may put forth a harder effort for the 10k but i will definitely be walking the half because i agree with a previous poster that the half will be the one you have to really be careful with everything. fuel, hydration, blister protection. i'm planning on conserving my energy and then doing a harder marathon with my run/walk intervals.

for me, the wake up times will be the easiest part of the weekend. i'm already used to getting up every morning fairly early. so each evening should be a little easier to fall asleep early. the tough part will be trying to make sure my kids go to bed (and stay asleep) early.

i think the spouses of the dopey runners need a medal for dealing with the kiddos by themselves for the entire long weekend. the running part for sure is hard but it takes a toll on the family time.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:15 AM   #619
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ****************** View Post
That's about how my plan looks. I know I can do it, it's just a question of how much I need to back off in the half to get through the full. I'll learn that in training this fall.
Yeah, a combination of that and knowing that you probably need to go directly back to your resort after the half and try not to log even another foot of walking the rest of the day
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at POR!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:09 AM   #620
SAHDad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
Yeah, a combination of that and knowing that you probably need to go directly back to your resort after the half and try not to log even another foot of walking the rest of the day
DW and I did the parks after I did the half, and before we both did the full this year. I'm planning on doing essentially the same for the Dopey, since I ran about 5k for each of the two days prior to the half.

Current running streak - 2017 days in a row. Yearly mileage to date: 179.1. Last update: 2/25/14.

All runners are equal. Some however, are apparently more equal than others.
SAHDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:51 AM   #621
swimfly
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbo_buddy View Post
i think the spouses of the dopey runners need a medal for dealing with the kiddos by themselves for the entire long weekend. the running part for sure is hard but it takes a toll on the family time.
Completely agree! Not just during WDW marathon weekend but throughout the entire training process. DH spends every Saturday morning with our little one so I can run.

I actually kind of disagree with the idea to walk everything except the marathon in your approach to the Dopey. You also want to consider/calculate time on feet and out in the weather (sun, rain, snow). During both of my Goofy Challenges, I just took both runs at an easy pace about 1 minute/mile longer during the first half of the race.

We will each have different approaches to the weekend. I think the most important thing is to train the way you plan to run and have an arsenal of mantras ready. Keep swimming!
swimfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:40 PM   #622
Haas4Concern
Mouseketeer

For this past Goofy, i actually walked a couple laps around the boardwalk after the half. It worked well for me to stave off some soreness for the full the next morning. As of now, im planning on doing the same thing for the Dopey races. Im so excited for this race that im actually enjoying my training so far. Hopefully ill feel the same way for that 20 miler in december.

2007 WDW 1/2 Marathon, 2012 WDW Marathon Relay, 2012 Inaugural Canton 1/2 Marathon, 2012 Ohio 2 Warrior Dash, 2012 Air Force Half Marathon, 2012 Wine & Dine, 2013 Goofy Challenge,Dumbo Double Dare 2013,Dopey Challenge 2014
Haas4Concern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:09 PM   #623
Sarah_Rose
DIS Veteran

When I did the "unofficial" Dopey in 2010, I went back to the resort to shower after the half, and then went straight out to AK for a few hours. I was afraid I would stiffen up if I didn't walk at all that day. I think it's a delicate balance of stretching out your legs but not over doing it before the full.

Fort Wilderness May 2014, Inaugural DOPEY CHALLENGE 2014, AoA February 2013, DLR (Christmas trip!) December 2011, DLR (DL Half Marathon) September 2011, AKL Kidani (WDW Half Marathon) 2011, CSR and the GOOFY 2010, WL and the WDW Half Marathon 2009 (2:29), Disneyland Resort Paris 2007, Off-Site 2006, ASMu 2002, Dixie Landings 2000
Sarah_Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:18 PM   #624
ColleenG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbo_buddy View Post
my plan is to be extremely conservative in my dopey effort. i plan to walk all or most of the three races leading up to the marathon. i may put forth a harder effort for the 10k but i will definitely be walking the half because i agree with a previous poster that the half will be the one you have to really be careful with everything. fuel, hydration, blister protection. i'm planning on conserving my energy and then doing a harder marathon with my run/walk intervals.

for me, the wake up times will be the easiest part of the weekend. i'm already used to getting up every morning fairly early. so each evening should be a little easier to fall asleep early. the tough part will be trying to make sure my kids go to bed (and stay asleep) early.

Nancy, you are a much better mom than me! I am leaving them all home for Dumbo AND Dopey!! DH (that's not darling, dear, Disney husband) can deal with them. After 2 years of dealing with his crap, I deserve this!!! I am also going for crappiest mom of the year award! My kids will live!
First Trip Jan. 1983 Ft. Wilderness, Nov. 1984 Contemporary, First trip w/family Dec. 2004 Caribbbean Beach, 2005 DVC Nov. 2005, Jan 2013 Old Key West Jan. 2007, Oct. 2008, Nov 2010, Feb 2012 Saratoga SpringsDec 2009 Caribbean Beach, Aug 2011 off site, Feb 2013 BoardwalkVillas Mom DD 11 DS 9 DS 7 DS 6
ColleenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:22 PM   #625
sunnygal041
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenG View Post

Nancy, you are a much better mom than me! I am leaving them all home for Dumbo AND Dopey!! DH (that's not darling, dear, Disney husband) can deal with them. After 2 years of dealing with his crap, I deserve this!!! I am also going for crappiest mom of the year award! My kids will live!
LOL, hey Col, you get my vote for crapiest mother of the year award, too! Regardless, you have made the correct decisions.

[url=http://distickers.com/ticker/][/url
sunnygal041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:02 PM   #626
dumbo_buddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenG

YOU DESERVE ALL OF THE ALONE TIME AND MORE!!!

I'm so looking forward to meeting up again before the races and e-training together for this crazy dopey challenge.

We are all going to have a great time
Old 04-29-2013, 11:14 PM   #627
PaGaLaGirl
Earning My Ears

Is race retreat worth the money?

I have been debating back and forth. Can anyone tell me why race retreat is worth as much as a 4 day park ticket?
PaGaLaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:59 AM   #628
swimfly
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaGaLaGirl View Post
I have been debating back and forth. Can anyone tell me why race retreat is worth as much as a 4 day park ticket?
I never even compared it to the cost of the park tickets b/c we're AP. For me, it's about staying out of the elements (cold, ice, snow, heat) until I need to be at the start or a place to cool down/warm up after. Disney has such a dreadfully early start time that it makes it a little more mangeable to be someplace comfy. After the sleet in 2010, I'm all about the race retreat.
swimfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:19 PM   #629
Lives4Dis
Loves to Run with the Mouse

Unhappy Missed out

OK, I did the Goofy and was mad for the Dopey. Unfortunately it sold out like hot cakes. I am pleading for help. If anyone has an in or knows of a sponsor that has an entry, please contact me and let me know. I even caved and told Chiquita I would run in a banana outfit. Looks like its only the Wine and dine this year and the Goofy again. Will have to wait for 2015 otherwise.
Lives4Dis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:44 PM   #630
Ram7730
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lives4Dis View Post
OK, I did the Goofy and was mad for the Dopey. Unfortunately it sold out like hot cakes. I am pleading for help. If anyone has an in or knows of a sponsor that has an entry, please contact me and let me know. I even caved and told Chiquita I would run in a banana outfit. Looks like its only the Wine and dine this year and the Goofy again. Will have to wait for 2015 otherwise.
Sent you a PM Lives4Dis
Ram7730 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: