Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 02:45 PM   #31
momtoaaliyah
Earning My Ears

doesn't sound like a bad policy but not anywhere near perfect, for instance "the father that was caught urinating outside after being out at the bar in his early 20's and by law required to register as a sex offender?"

should he really not be allowed to go to Disney with his family?
momtoaaliyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:46 PM   #32
ChoppityChops
Mouseketeer

so much cynicism from some folks: just because it's not 100% doesn't mean it's not worth doing?! Just because there's oddities with how it can be enforced Why not try SOMETHING? It's not costing you a dime! Disney's not saying "Hey! we've made our parks pervert-free!" They're saying "hey, we're trying this, and we've seen some encouraging positive results." Are you afraid that ticket prices will go up at the expense of "pretending" pedophiles can't get into the parks? That parents will think "well, since Disney is preventing sex-offenders from getting in, I can let my children run free, knowing that they will be free from sexual assault!" then WHAMMO?! I mean seriously, how can people have a problem with this? This isn't about the validity or loopholes regarding sex-offender laws in various states... this is about what WDW is doing to attempt to make things that much safer/more comfortable for families in attendance.

So what's the problem if it doesn't work 100% of the time?

So when you're in a pool with your child you rely 100% on Lifeguards to babysit your kids and keep them from dying? Cool! Don't need them anymore! They clearly don't work because people die in the resort pools sometimes...

What about stop-signs: people roll them all day long, especially on property - might as well remove 'em! No point in having them then right?

Might as well start letting guests smoke everywhere in the parks, since they don't succeed in 100% enforcement on the smoking areas.

Oh, and lets not forget ride safety! No point in them reminding people to buckle up! We've all seen those ToT pictures where people weren't buckled in... if it can happen once, I guess there's no point in trying to do better!

I find it crazy how many people are dumping on what is clearly a step in the right direction.
ChoppityChops is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-30-2013, 02:55 PM   #33
ChoppityChops
Mouseketeer

Also, this wasn't a press-release from Disney: It was an investigative report done by local news. And there's been no mention of "a guy who peed on a dumpster when he was 20 but now has a family of 5" being denied entry...
ChoppityChops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:08 PM   #34
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2n2 View Post
It doesn't sound like a bad policy but it will be crazy-hard to keep up with it and likely only limits a super small number of them.
Agree
Old 04-30-2013, 03:09 PM   #35
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoppityChops View Post
Also, this wasn't a press-release from Disney: It was an investigative report done by local news. And there's been no mention of "a guy who peed on a dumpster when he was 20 but now has a family of 5" being denied entry...
The problem is that person is in the database as being guilty of indecent exposure. Most of us see a big difference between a teenager peeing near a dumpster behind a bar and a pedophile flashing a little girl. Both are cases of indecent exposure.

Another example. You think you can tell the difference between someone who is a violent offender and someone who was a 19-year-old who had consensual sex with his girlfriend who happened to be three years younger? If so, you must possess some special powers. Both offenses can be listed as 'Aggravated Sexual Assault with Force

The lists need to be pruned, JMO. Restrict it to people who were found guilty of what we think of as being a sexual predator.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:15 PM   #36
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisc View Post
The problem is that person is in the database as being guilty of indecent exposure. Most of us see a big difference between a teenager peeing near a dumpster behind a bar and a pedophile flashing a little girl. Both are cases of indecent exposure.

Another example. You think you can tell the difference between someone who is a violent offender and someone who was a 19-year-old who had consensual sex with his girlfriend who happened to be three years younger? If so, you must possess some special powers. Both offenses can be listed as 'Aggravated Sexual Assault with Force

The lists need to be pruned, JMO. Restrict it to people who were found guilty of what we think of as being a sexual predator.

If you looked at the lists you would see that the degree of the crimes are set up at degree and what they did.

Please google and you will find what I have been saying that the laws have been changing and eliminating the silly teen stuff.

However the bottom line is simple. I would rather Disney be stricter to protect my family.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:24 PM   #37
momtoaaliyah
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisc View Post

Ya, thats exactly what I was trying to convey. If Disney can find a way to decipher these things then I am all for this. Maybe they will only deny access to level 3's, or 2's. Who knows but just cross examining peoples id information with a national sex offender registry is not going to work.

and really, even if this was enforced I would still be as vigilant with my kids while in any theme park, same as I am in the mall, grocery store, ect. That means always having them within arms reach, never taking my eyes off them, going into multiple stall bathrooms with them, standing by the door of single bathrooms ect.
momtoaaliyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:26 PM   #38
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
If you looked at the lists you would see that the degree of the crimes are set up at degree and what they did.

Please google and you will find what I have been saying that the laws have been changing and eliminating the silly teen stuff.

However the bottom line is simple. I would rather Disney be stricter to protect my family.

AKK
I used google and what you've been saying isn't true.

I'm waiting for the link regarding FL law requiring photo ID from all guests checking in.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:38 PM   #39
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoppityChops View Post
In fairness......that was not at Disney...............there was a state sex predator site that had a old law, part of which public peeing was considered a sexual act.............it was in 1 or a few states and I know most if not all has been removed.

AKK

Last edited by Tonka's Skipper; 04-30-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:44 PM   #40
disneyworld1977
Mouseketeer

I cant read these posts....it's getting crazy in this thread!
*DL* Offsite - 2000, 2003, 2005, 2011, 2013 *WDW* Offsite - 80's , 90's ** POP CENTURY - 2004, 2009 ** CORONADO SPRINGS - 2008 ** PORT ORLEANS (Riverside) - 2011 ** ALL STAR MOVIES - 2012 ** FT. WILDERNESS CABINS - 2013 *TOKYO DL* Offsite - 2014
ME DW
disneyworld1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:58 PM   #41
robinb
DIS Veteran

There is another thing that I find disturbing about using Sex Offender Registries for removal from Disney parks. Once an offender is on the registry they are on it for life, even after they have "done their time" and are "off paper". I don't like rapists any more than I like murderers, but a murderer can waltz right into the MK and stand right next to you in line once he or she is on probation. "Bill T. Cat! You just got out of prison for killing your ex-wife! What are you going to do?" Meanwhile, some 18 year old guy who sexted his junk to his 16-year old GF (http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/04/07/sexting.busts/) or someone who broke Louisiana's sodomy laws (http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=96...1#.UYAYZUph528) or these 2 14-year old boys who were fooling around in NJ (http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...horseplay.html) are restricted from Disney parks because their names and addresses show up on a Sex Offender list.

I don't intend to defend sex offenders. I think that the vast majority are scum and lower than low. I just think that limiting people on a Sex Offenders registry while opening the doors to murderers, thieves, muggers, kidnappers and other felons is not right. Something has caused Disney to CYA with these new rules in August ... is the timing of Operation Cyber Child in Polk County that netted a Disney Security guard a little coincidental?
http://www.wfla.com/story/20459123/d...hild-sex-sting
Old 04-30-2013, 04:06 PM   #42
TheShea's
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lego606 View Post
I kinda wish they'd at least separate it by the different levels of sexual offense. Someone who is a level 1 for having an SO a year younger than them is clearly different from a level 3 repeat offender.
Level 1 can include all sorts of sickos.

Case in point...

http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...WYK/story.html
TheShea's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:22 PM   #43
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShea's View Post
Level 1 can include all sorts of sickos.

Case in point...

http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...WYK/story.html
I agree that there can be sickos at all levels, but I have said from the start a teen and his girlfriend having consensual sex or a kid pissing in a bush is not supposed to be on these lists. The states have been changing the rules so that is a good thing.

My wife and I did a good bit of research on the predator sites as we had a wife beater on the street..........its really quiet scary some of the stuff a person will do to other people.!

AKK
Old 04-30-2013, 04:41 PM   #44
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
There is another thing that I find disturbing about using Sex Offender Registries for removal from Disney parks. Once an offender is on the registry they are on it for life, even after they have "done their time" and are "off paper". I don't like rapists any more than I like murderers, but a murderer can waltz right into the MK and stand right next to you in line once he or she is on probation. "Bill T. Cat! You just got out of prison for killing your ex-wife! What are you going to do?" Meanwhile, some 18 year old guy who sexted his junk to his 16-year old GF (http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/04/07/sexting.busts/) or someone who broke Louisiana's sodomy laws (http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=96...1#.UYAYZUph528) or these 2 14-year old boys who were fooling around in NJ (http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...horseplay.html) are restricted from Disney parks because their names and addresses show up on a Sex Offender list.

I don't intend to defend sex offenders. I think that the vast majority are scum and lower than low. I just think that limiting people on a Sex Offenders registry while opening the doors to murderers, thieves, muggers, kidnappers and other felons is not right. Something has caused Disney to CYA with these new rules in August ... is the timing of Operation Cyber Child in Polk County that netted a Disney Security guard a little coincidental?
http://www.wfla.com/story/20459123/d...hild-sex-sting

So we should not try to protect our families form the predators because we cannot do anything about the murderers?

Sexual based crimes stem from a sickness within the criminal....they need it......they have to do it..........so even when they do there time. The need is still there. A serial killer/rapists are almost never released back on the street. So you are comparing apples and oranges.

Your logic is because one bad apple in some 100,000 employees was caught, you feel that extends Disney to a cover up?.........any details?..stories alleging that?

Seems they are spending one hell of a lot of money is a program that is a year old and I never heard of until now, seems not to be in the publics mind.

Sorry unless you can back that up with facts...I don't agree.

AKK
Old 04-30-2013, 04:53 PM   #45
Mary Jo
Techarita
Loves the star on the mountain

DISboards Moderator

I tried to clean this thread up from the rude, argumentative posts. Please remember to be courteous when participating on this forum.
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: