Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 12:16 PM   #1
CerysG
Mouseketeer

Those who have been the end of August

I'm wondering when these Love Bugs show up, I keep seeing Sept. but if its early Sept then they could be there the end of August. I know bugs don't follow calanders but I'm hoping they show up later in Sept. so not likely to be there the end of August. My holdest has a real issue with bugs so swarms of them might do her in! Keeping my fingers crossed they aren't there when we are. Those crazy big wasps they have down there were almost to much for her. I can't say I was to thrilled with bugs at her age but I think she is worse then I was.
So anyone who's been down there at the end of August did you run into there love bugs?
CerysG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:20 PM   #2
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

We were there during the final week of August last summer. We did not experience any issues with bugs.

We are heading down again this summer for the same week and hope for the same experience .

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! **August 2014 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-30-2013, 01:37 PM   #3
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Last week of August for four years running now and no love bug sightings.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:54 PM   #4
CerysG
Mouseketeer

Good to hear! I was getting worried especially after last night when she had to have her two younger sisters do battle against a sow bug that was in her room...turned out it was dead! You'd think is was 6 feet tall with 3 feet fangs! I expect there will be some bugs around but hopefully she will be busy enough that she won't notice them to much.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:58 PM   #5
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

We've been to Disney the last week of August for the past three years. I've never seen any bugs. I've never even seen a mosquito during that time frame, and I have not even heard of love bugs!
Disneylover99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:22 PM   #6
Ted in Halifax
Over a 2,000 mile drive from Disney!

"During the past several years, both the April–May and August–September lovebug flights have been substantially reduced in North Central Florida. This reduction in the population is partly attributed to predators"
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/mg068

May 2007 Fort Wilderness Cabins, Feb 2009 Pop Century, Nov 2009 Port Orleans Riverside, March 2010 Pop Century AP, May 2010 All Star Music AP, Nov 2010 POP Century AP, Feb 2011 Port Orleans Riverside AP, March 2012 AKV, March 2012 Disney Dream, March 2012 BWV, Feb 2013 POP AP, March 2013 AKL AP, July 2013 AKL AP, Dec 2013 Coronado Springs AP, Dec 2013 Saratoga Springs AP, and Dec 2013 POR French Quarter AP, JAN 2015 AKL JAMBO HOUSE Watching the SuperBowl at AKL ....
Ted in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:35 PM   #7
CerysG
Mouseketeer

Thanks Ted for sharing!!! Yikes is a bug orgy from the description of their mating.
Well if everyone who's been there the last week of August says they haven't seen them then I hope this year will be the same. If not my daughter might only come out at night when there aren't any.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:20 PM   #8
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerysG View Post
Thanks Ted for sharing!!! Yikes is a bug orgy from the description of their mating.
Well if everyone who's been there the last week of August says they haven't seen them then I hope this year will be the same. If not my daughter might only come out at night when there aren't any.
How is she with little lizards? Now THOSE we saw everywhere last August.....teeny tiny little lizards that move light lightening.

Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! **August 2014 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899

Old 04-30-2013, 08:25 PM   #9
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Gina is correct.. lots of lizards but they run from you. Except the one that ran from me straight into our cabin at Fort Wilderness. Dh had to hunt for that one before I would go to bed.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:32 PM   #10
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigletto View Post
Gina is correct.. lots of lizards but they run from you. Except the one that ran from me straight into our cabin at Fort Wilderness. Dh had to hunt for that one before I would go to bed.

How on earth did he ever catch the dang thing? Or was he able to eventually just shoo it out the door?

Old 04-30-2013, 09:10 PM   #11
CerysG
Mouseketeer

Just bugs are root of all evil!!! We saw the lizards last time we were there and all loved them. The funny thing is she hates bugs with a passion but if you go to kill it she tells you not to and you have release it into the wild....well the back yard at least.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:11 PM   #12
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina View Post

How on earth did he ever catch the dang thing? Or was he able to eventually just shoo it out the door?
Oh this was a fun day let me tell you. It ran in the door in the morning. But we couldn't find it and had an ADR to get to. So we had to leave. We had a great day out but the closer the time to return to the cabin got, the more I started mentioning that the lizard better be gone. So.. we got back to the cabin and I sat on the porch and sent him in.

He was in there no more than two minutes and came out with it in his hand and released it into the woods behind the cabin. Apparently it was on the inside of the shower curtain. You would have heard my screams from Orlando in Canada if I had met that little guy in the shower
Old 05-01-2013, 09:28 AM   #13
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Been late August for years and never saw the love bugs!
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #14
iluveeyore
DVC Member - Disney is my second home!

Love bugs are there in May more than any other month because I have been there in August and didn't see them, but definitely spent two trips in May (and my upcoming one) seeing them - they are awful, especially by the pools when you're trying to tan/read. I actually had to sit in the pool on the steps to read my book to keep most of them away. But I'm in Disney, so I just dealt with it, like I will in two weeks! They never seemed bad at the parks though, or maybe I was having too much fun to notice!
Old 05-07-2013, 11:08 PM   #15
PurpleEars
DIS Veteran

I agree that we didn't have any problems with love bugs when we were there at the end of August the last few years. However, one year, my legs were bitten by mosquitoes one evening and I ended up having to wear long skirts for the rest of the trip (as I ended up with these angry looking bites all over my legs). I think it had something to do with where I was standing though. I was on the bridge to Mexico at Epcot maybe 10 minutes before Illuminations to its conclusion. Let's just say I was not pleased about those bites!

Actually, I don't remember them being a big problem when we were there in May in the past. Perhaps I just have my Disney rose-coloured glasses on and didn't see them?

Our Disney trips:
May 2006 - All Star Music
Jan 2007 - Pop Century
Jan 2008 - Pop Century // Sept 2008 - Pop Century (Free Dining!)
May 2009 - Coronado Springs // Oct 2009 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining again!)
Feb 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter // Aug 2010 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining, round 3!)
Apr 2011 - Disneyland - Hilton Anaheim // Aug 2011 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #4)
Feb 2012 - Disneyland - Ramada Plaza // Aug 2012 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #5)
Dec 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter (Free Dining #6)
PurpleEars is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: