Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-30-2013, 11:56 AM   #30
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

First of all, loved the last day at AK, some wonderful wonderful elepahnt pics and it just seemed like an overall good time and then some nice pool time back at POFQ

The move to AoA, just reading about it, sounds like it may not have been worth it, a swim in the pool sounded much more in order what a bummer that your bags weren't there. That is the one thing we pack if moving resorts, our suits but even then I'm not crazy about swimming without a room to go back to once i am wet. I've come to the conclusion that a 1 night stay at the front end is ok but if it's at the end needs to be at least 2. For me anyway. My family is having a bit of a debate over our split on the next trip (6/3) so we will see how that ends up.

Your last day just seemed....long and a tad frustrating. Bummer. While I admire you not using the GAC until it was needed, I am very glad you got it and used it. I think there is nothing wrong with having it for the whole trip and just using if ineeded as clearly at times it does cause issues for Zoe and all of you miss out on some stuff. Disabilities do not need to be seen to be real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
Now it was time to go home. I had thought I did a good job booking a 9:30am flight home. However, DME wants to pick you up 3 hours prior to your flight and that meant 6:30am.

So many of my departure days are filled with ample drama and this day was just full to the brim.

The night before left us not falling asleep until it was almost time to get up. Ok, not really...but we might have been up till 2 am easily and then had to be up around 5am.

Once we got the the front we found out we had missed the DME bus. Why? Because I just assumed that we should be there by 6:30. I believe it came at about 6am. And while we were in fact early by the time I wanted us to be there. (I want to say about 6:10) we were late for that bus. I am not sure why I just assumed like that. I think it had just been such a long trip and there had been so a many times that I just wanted to crawl into a corner and cry.... that I just was spent in a way that I normally wouldn't have been. It affected my judgement and my behavior.

Kira was instantly HOT. Which of course meant that I had to do some damage control. I am usually good at damage control...smoothing things over... mediating...etc. AND luckily I was able to do this. So the cm was able to help us and soon enough we were squeezed into a slot for the next DME. I want to say we were not the only ones though... I want to say that there were quite a few of us who were waiting...who missed an earlier DME. I think this because I seem to remember a very large group of us on the bus groan when the bus driver (who was way to chipper for it being so early) proceeded to play a prank on us letting us "think" we had to stop at a number of resorts and estimating a very LONG drive time (I want to say an hour or so) We all breathed a sigh of relief though when he laughed and said he was only kidding and that he would get us all there very quickly.

We did in fact make it to the airport in time but it seems to me that we didn't have a lot of time. Just enough to get through security and get in line to board.
UGH! What a horrible start to the day, all of it. A double bed is just too small for 2 adults to share I think. At least for me...I about died when K and I shared one at the FW cabins...not to mention she is a flopper. LOL!
Quote:
An uneventful flight to Kansas city where we stopped. We had a three hour layover. The plan was for us to grab something to eat. But there was not many places to eat in that airport. So we waited.

With all of that time though it gave me some time to think about the bb offer that had been in our room when we went back to it the previous night. The office you have to call in order to book a bounceback was closed when we got back to the room. It was also closed when we went to leave. So you have to book before you leave, right? So when could this happen. Well, I called to see. It could work for the following fall. However I had to talk to my travel buddies before I just booked. (although in retrospect I should have just plunked down a deposit and held something. ) Good to keep in mind if ever in that position again. Better to book and then cancel rather than not book and realize you should have.

I got in touch with one of the gals and gave her the info to see if she could call back. I would be on a flight all day and would not be on the ground again before the office was again closed.

When she called, she was told in no uncertain terms and quite rudely that she could not take care of it for me.

The flight from Kansas to Seattle was fine and we arrived safe and sound. Josh picked up Kira and Amanda (since he would be taking them to their new home in a different town) Steve picked up Zoe and I. We were starving and arrived in time to eat dinner. (thankfully)

Next Up: A Recap
Ugh ugh and ugh on the bounceback and the 3 hour layover for that matter. Long day all around, I bet you were so thrilled to be home once there!

Quote:
I want to thank you all for reading along. This was not an easy report to write. I was so overwhelmed for most of the trip. I also didn't take any notes. Both of these factors contributed to my fuzzy memory.

I have come to appreciate my contributions to drama and mishap. I am happy to say that I didn't allow myself to be stressed on my february trip and I have little to no stress regarding the upcoming fall trip. (well, except for the double bed issue... but I will survive and I HAVE now mentioned it to a couple of my travel companions )
To expect trips to be drama free is unrealistic, at least for me, and it seems to come from places I don't anticipate. Key is to move on which you have clearly done and take what you can from it.

Quote:
I hate to think that I was not the kind of friend to B that I should have been. I do miss her terribly at times. She had become such an important part of my everyday life..even though she lived on the opposite side of the country.

Kira has still not recovered fully from the trip. She did manage to go on a road trip and drive to DLR for a few days. However she had Josh with her and it was just the two of them. I know she is still a bit down on Disney in general because she shows barely any interest in the pending DVC purchase Steve and I are about to make.

Amanda I think has recovered although I have not seen her since Thanksgiving.

Zoe is anxious to go on any and all trips to Disney. She does wish we had swam at AoA and I feel bad for her that we didn't....mainly because I don't know when the next time we will or if we will stay there again.
That's sad about Kira being down on Disney. Part of it may be age too though.

Great recap on everything but I definitely think you need a do over on the Food and Wine Festival, it is so much fun and so much yumminess!

I think I'd like AoA but not sure I could take more than 1-2 nights there....too "much" for me for an extended period of time and yes, that is definitely age. LOL!

Last edited by eandesmom; 04-30-2013 at 01:02 PM.
eandesmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: