Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 10:14 AM   #1
Marsheliz
DIS Veteran

Values? All-Stars?

Looking at All-Star Movies... Really want to stay MOD but I cant get over how cheap the All-Star is.. It is $400.00 cheaper than a MOD but I am afraid I will be spoiled and I wont' like it... That $400.00 may go along way but that old saying "you get what you pay for" keeps playing over and over in my mind...

What do you think? Are the All Stars dumpy?

No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep believing.. The dreams that you dream... Really do come true....

April 2005- Offsite.. My now DH's first time
December 2005- Offsite ( ENGAGED at MK)
December 2007- Offsite ( Pregnant with Lawson)
February 2011-All Star Sport ( Pregnant with Landen)
September 2012- 1 night @ POFQ
September 2012- 3 nights @ AOA
October 2013- Caribbean Beach Resort
June 2014- Weekend Surprise at Port Orleans Riverside!

October 2013 TR- http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3207813
June 2014 TR http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3293489
Marsheliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:14 AM   #2
BlueStarryHat

Just picture everyone sitting at the computer in their underwear

I've been staying at the All-Stars since 1998, and have never had a "dumpy" room or a bad experience. It's true you get very little in the way of amenities because after all it's a Value, but the rooms are clean (if small) and the CMs are very pleasant in my experience. I'm sure people are going to chime in now and say how much the All Stars suck, but I've always had a grand time.

Before staying Value I always stayed at the Polynesian and thought the Values were a big step down when told I would be staying at one, but my experience was just the opposite.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-30-2013, 11:19 AM   #3
BebopBaloo
DIS Veteran

I don't think they are 'dumpy' at all. I've stayed at 'dumpy' and would never choose to stay at a 'dumpy' place on purpose. I've chosen All Stars every year since 2008. There was one time we got a bad room and when we asked for a new one we were immediately taken care of and given a new room that was in pristine condition.

The food courts have ample selections and variety. The bus service is as good, if not better, than other places. The All Stars are smaller than any of the moderates so even if you have to share a bus w/ another All Star it's not a big deal - at least no worse than staying at a larger resort.

I too believe in getting what you pay for and in this case I'd definitely save the $400. That money can go a long way toward gas, food, souvenirs, etc.
"Don't spend all your time looking around for something you want that can't be found. When you find out you can live without it and go along not thinking about it, I'll tell you something true. The bear necessities of life will come to you."

Psalm 27:1
BebopBaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:19 AM   #4
Kristibo42
DIS Veteran

The only thing with the movie is that it is the buses. The buses stop at sports then music then movie if it has space. Most times you will be standing. Also it is the last stop of the 3 at the end of the night. We have stayed at both music and sports. Like sports better because of the buses.

Next trip July 2016 POP and AOA about 70 people
Dec. 2013 Pop Century to celebrate 25 anniversary Adults only
All Star Sports family trip 25 people Feb 2011
Pop Century September. 2009
Pop Century Adults only 20 year anniversary Dec 2008
Pop Century Big family trip 42 people July 2007
Contemporary and All Star Music Dec. 2006
All Star Music June 2005
Port Orleans- Riverside and Disney Wonder Nov. 2002
6th grade trip To Magic Kingdom had my first kiss on Tom Sawyers Island June 1977
Kristibo42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:20 AM   #5
bennifer
Mouseketeer

They aren't dumpy at all in my experience! The rooms are smaller, but we usually spend our time at the parks, not at the resort.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:26 AM   #6
Kristibo42
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennifer View Post
They aren't dumpy at all in my experience! The rooms are smaller, but we usually spend our time at the parks, not at the resort.
Not small enough to notice in my eyes.

Next trip July 2016 POP and AOA about 70 people
Dec. 2013 Pop Century to celebrate 25 anniversary Adults only
All Star Sports family trip 25 people Feb 2011
Pop Century September. 2009
Pop Century Adults only 20 year anniversary Dec 2008
Pop Century Big family trip 42 people July 2007
Contemporary and All Star Music Dec. 2006
All Star Music June 2005
Port Orleans- Riverside and Disney Wonder Nov. 2002
6th grade trip To Magic Kingdom had my first kiss on Tom Sawyers Island June 1977
Kristibo42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:35 AM   #7
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsheliz View Post
Looking at All-Star Movies... Really want to stay MOD but I cant get over how cheap the All-Star is.. It is $400.00 cheaper than a MOD but I am afraid I will be spoiled and I wont' like it... That $400.00 may go along way but that old saying "you get what you pay for" keeps playing over and over in my mind...

I don't think they're dumpy, but they are very basic. One sink, Full sized beds, basic food court, pool no slide/no hot tub. No coffee pot.

I have done value when I needed to add days before or after my main stay because it was cheaper or I was on my own so didn't need a lot of room. My very first stay on Disney property was AllStar Music and it's my favorite of the values.

I must say MOD is my favorite level as far as price vs comfort/perks/atmosphere (I've done all three levels), but I'd totally do a value stay if that was what was in my budget and I wouldn't feel cheated at all.

bookgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:53 AM   #8
FortForever
Disney since Day 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsheliz View Post

Disney doesn't do dumpy.

I will admit that it took me many years to leave my comfort zone and stay at a value. I was pleasantly surprised.

So far I have stayed at Sports once and Pop twice. I would like to try Movies or Music, but hesitate do to them not being first on the bus lines.

Give it a try. If you don't like it, you don't have to stay there again. I can assure you, though, it will be safe and clean like any Disney resort.
FortForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:00 PM   #9
maddiebee
DIS Veteran

Everyone always brings up that the Movies busses are last to get picked up, but doesn't that mean a shorter drive to the park, meaning not having a seat wouldn't be as big of a deal?
maddiebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:03 PM   #10
Anniefrances
Mouseketeer

Last year we ended up doing a split stay at ASMo and CBR. My children (then ages 6 and 8) liked both places, and other than the pool being better at CBR, we didn't notice any big difference. In fact, we liked the food court better at the values (AS or POP--felt like more variety) and found the walk to the bus stop (at the resort, not the parks) and wait/travel time to be comparable. For us, the additional $ was not worth it for a mod. This year I am booking our entire trip at a value so that I can say yes to more extras which for us are more important than a larger room or resort amenities that we don't end up using. So if my children want popsicles twice a day every day I can say yes If there is a balloon or toy they really really want, then I can say yes And if I want to have an adult beverage lounging by the pool or send them on a pirate cruise then I can say yes For us the $400 would go a lot further in making a more relaxed and enjoyable vacation.
2001 offsite (shh! left a conference for the day to check it all out ), 2002 POR , 2003 Disneyland , 2004 BWI, cancelled--medical issues , 2005 Poly , 2007 POP , 2008 POP , 2009, POP , 2010 CR CL , 2011 WL , 2011 POP (short trip for G's birthday) , 2012 ASMo/CBR , 2013 AS Sp , 2014 AS Sp (short trip for J's birthday) , summer 2014 AS Sp
Anniefrances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:05 PM   #11
Marsheliz
DIS Veteran

Thank you all for the responses... I didnt even think about the bus situation. We really wont be in the room much either, thats why I am considering the value.... The only thing is- on the day of the MNSSHP- I would love to have a nicer pool with a slide etc.. for the kids as we will probably hang around there until 3... I hate making decisions...

And I know Disney doesnt do dumpy, I guess a bad choice of words... AHHH... I want to be in my happy place and i would even sleep outside..

No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep believing.. The dreams that you dream... Really do come true....

Old 04-30-2013, 12:06 PM   #12
momtwoboys
DIS Veteran

Go value!!!! we have stayed at ASMO, ASMU, POP and loved them all! last trip we just got back we had booked POR, and 3 nights in I was at the front desk begging to be moved to POP! It FOR US was so not worth the extra money, guess we found out that we love the values. and we have stayed at the Cont 1x, and POFQ 1x, and AKL 3x....but our favorite is the value and the extra money in our pockets and the Disney lively feeling that we get there. Just our opinion though, others may disagree!
DS (14)
Lily
momtwoboys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:07 PM   #13
Marsheliz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anniefrances View Post
Last year we ended up doing a split stay at ASMo and CBR. My children (then ages 6 and 8) liked both places, and other than the pool being better at CBR, we didn't notice any big difference. In fact, we liked the food court better at the values (AS or POP--felt like more variety) and found the walk to the bus stop (at the resort, not the parks) and wait/travel time to be comparable. For us, the additional $ was not worth it for a mod. This year I am booking our entire trip at a value so that I can say yes to more extras which for us are more important than a larger room or resort amenities that we don't end up using. So if my children want popsicles twice a day every day I can say yes If there is a balloon or toy they really really want, then I can say yes And if I want to have an adult beverage lounging by the pool or send them on a pirate cruise then I can say yes For us the $400 would go a lot further in making a more relaxed and enjoyable vacation.

I feel you on that... I want to give my kids whatever they want too but I know I can't... I see you have been to POP too, what do you think about that resort?

The only other thing I keep forgetting about is with free dining, no table service will be included...

Old 04-30-2013, 12:08 PM   #14
Marsheliz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtwoboys View Post
Go value!!!! we have stayed at ASMO, ASMU, POP and loved them all! last trip we just got back we had booked POR, and 3 nights in I was at the front desk begging to be moved to POP! It FOR US was so not worth the extra money, guess we found out that we love the values. and we have stayed at the Cont 1x, and POFQ 1x, and AKL 3x....but our favorite is the value and the extra money in our pockets and the Disney lively feeling that we get there. Just our opinion though, others may disagree!

Oh wow! That gives me some reassurance!! I need to check out what POP is like... I think I may have stayed there a loooongg time ago when I still lived with my parents. LOL

Old 04-30-2013, 12:12 PM   #15
momtwoboys
DIS Veteran

I was still up while the kids were sleeping and I told my husband, "I dont like the feel of this place and I want to move to POP!" he said ok, so next morning I went down and in 45 minutes we were packed up and on the bus to POP. Checked in and headed out to AK. all in 1 1/2 hours and we have a credit back to us who comes home from a 9 day trip to disney with a credit back to you? WE DID!
DS (14)
Lily
momtwoboys is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: