Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 06:46 AM   #1
alix1979
Mouseketeer

Adult costumes for MNSSHP

We went last year for the first time and was amazed at home many adults were dressed up - I'd say more were in costume than weren't.

So Im thinking I want an outfit this year!!! The other half has even agreed he might be persuaded which has got me extra excited *** he won't normally engage in that sort of thing (just more relaxed in WDW!!).

We're coming from the UK and will travelling through the Keys and Miami before heading up for a couple of Disney days.
Have looked as some costumes online and not sure whether to bring one or buy one while we're over! Advice would be really appreciated on the types/sizes they tend to stock in Walgreens/Walmart type places.

I'd rather travel light and grab it at the last mo but don't want to waste lots of time wandering around various shops. Im not thinking anything to amazing -a skeleton or little pumpkin type dress

Advice would be great!
alix1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:13 AM   #2
DisneyBabies
Mouseketeer

We are going this year and we are all dressing up. We will get our costumes before hand and bring them with us, probably from one of the costume places online (costume express.com, costume craze.com, etc.) Although I don't want to spend a ton of money on them, the quality of some of the Walmart/Walgreens/Target costumes leaves something to be desired. Since you are from the UK, could you order a costume online and have it delivered to wherever you will first be stopping at in the states?

DD will be a princess, not sure which one yet.

DS will be Peter Pan.

DH will be Captain Jack Sparrow.

And I am going as Alice.

Hope this helps.

Me DH DS10 DD8 DD 22mo Oreo Harry II Reeses Pieces (I need a Guinea Pig smilie!)

BCR April 2007 - 3rd Anniversary w/DH
CBR Pirate Room February 2009 - DS's 5th B-day w/DH & DS
POP March 2010 - 6th Anniversary w/DH
ASMusic Suite February 2011 - DD's 5th B-day w/DH & DD
ASSports October 2014 - My B-day w/DH
AoA Nemo Suite October 2015 - MNSSHP w/DH, DS & DD
DisneyBabies is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-30-2013, 09:48 AM   #3
alix1979
Mouseketeer

I did wonder about the quality of buying in a supermarket but I thought I'd check because I know Halloween is so big in the states!
Getting shipped to the first hotel is a good idea but too be honest - I'm sure I can fit something in the case, was just thinking out all the options.

Will yours be full on outfits or a nod at a character? Would LOVE my husband to be Captain Jack but I suspect getting him into a skeleton tee to match my outfit might be the limit!
Old 05-04-2013, 05:56 AM   #4
MinnieLee
DIS Veteran

We have been to 16 MNSSHP parties and have seen fantastic costumes and all not necessarily hand made. I was also amazed at how many adults get dressed in some form of a costume. Biggies are "spirt ghosts" or the portraits from the stretching room from HM. Alot of villian queens, pirates (male & female).

You could go as original Mousketeers. The Mickey Mouse Club emblem on front, names on back, ears. Something simple. Not alot to pack.

Remember that you have to get on and off the rides so wear something that you are comfortable in.

The party is just fantastic and you are going to have a great time with or without a costume.

Last edited by MinnieLee; 05-11-2013 at 05:07 AM.
MinnieLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:48 AM   #5
DisneyBabies
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alix1979 View Post
I did wonder about the quality of buying in a supermarket but I thought I'd check because I know Halloween is so big in the states!
Getting shipped to the first hotel is a good idea but too be honest - I'm sure I can fit something in the case, was just thinking out all the options.

Will yours be full on outfits or a nod at a character? Would LOVE my husband to be Captain Jack but I suspect getting him into a skeleton tee to match my outfit might be the limit!
DH probably won't be wearing the wig, but should have everything else. I'll keep my brown hair as well. Don't want him to look too much like the actual character as Disney has rules against that.

Me DH DS10 DD8 DD 22mo Oreo Harry II Reeses Pieces (I need a Guinea Pig smilie!)

Old 05-04-2013, 02:48 PM   #6
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyBabies View Post

DH probably won't be wearing the wig, but should have everything else. I'll keep my brown hair as well. Don't want him to look too much like the actual character as Disney has rules against that.
Wigs are acceptable for MNSSHP. We saw full-on pirates in September! Disney just discourages costumed look-alikes on regular days. Have fun and go all out if you like!
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Itinkso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:20 AM   #7
DisneyBabies
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinkso View Post
Wigs are acceptable for MNSSHP. We saw full-on pirates in September! Disney just discourages costumed look-alikes on regular days. Have fun and go all out if you like!
Oooohhh . . . we may have to do that then. Except, I'm not sure I'd look right with blonde hair . . . hhmmmm.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:29 AM   #8
alix1979
Mouseketeer

Think it would be really fun to have the whole look but wonder if a wig might be too hot?!
I am now considering which characters would fit my hair colour. I feel an Alice or Sleeping Beauty coming on....
Old 05-09-2013, 01:34 PM   #9
Joben
Mouseketeer

last year my DW and I dressed up as Imagineers. Not so many guest understood what we were dressed as but we got some really rave reviews from CM's, one even approached us because she was unsure why an Imagineer would be in a MK main street store. Turned out to be a great costume idea and one that worked well as far as being able to get on rides no problem. I would highly recommended trying to do a homemade costume over a packaged "wal-mart" costume.

Joben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:14 PM   #10
agavegirl1
DIS Veteran

Glad I did a search since this was my exact question. My concern was whether or not the rules regarding look-alike costumes applied to MNSSHP. Well, I guess I can pretty much be what I want to be. Now to figure out what that is. It's too warm in FL to wear my most favorite upper midwest stuff (I have a sorceress costume to die for). Now, to plan and probably sew.
agavegirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:52 AM   #11
xera12
Mouseketeer

We are pretty geeky so my brother is going as the 11th doctor from Doctor Who and I am going as the 10th. I am making a 10th Doctor dress to make it girl-y

Next trip with Me and DBFF Diane (25)!!

Check out my First trip to WDW TR!!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3160264

xera12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:43 AM   #12
lucialovesdisney
Earning My Ears

I may have to join in with the dress up for MNSSHP next year. This sounds too cool. Any excuse to dress up! Lol.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:17 AM   #13
ninamouse
Mouseketeer

I am going to MNSSHP in October and want to dress up but need some advoce on whether I should change into fancy dress around 4pm or wear fancy dress all day in the park?

What do others normally do?

Disneyland California 1990
Disneyland California 1993
WDW 1995
WDW 2002
WDW 2005
WDW 2008
WDW CBR 2013
ninamouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:33 PM   #14
PixieMama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninamouse View Post
I am going to MNSSHP in October and want to dress up but need some advoce on whether I should change into fancy dress around 4pm or wear fancy dress all day in the park?

What do others normally do?
Adults are not allowed to be in costume during "regular" days/hours at the parks. So you wouldn't be allowed to wear "fancy dress" all day.

MNSSHP actually begins at 7pm, but I know they allow party guests to start arriving as early as 4:00, so I'd think you'd be ok to be in costume by that time. But not sooner.
POR - Oct 2012
AKL Club Level - Feb 2013
Polynesian - Oct 2013
All-Star Sports - Jan 2014
POFQ - May 2014
All-Star Movies - Sep 2014
PixieMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:47 PM   #15
Turbanator
Disney Fan

Our last costumes were snow white and hook.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: