Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Disney Collectors Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2011, 08:43 PM   #16
Doug7856
DIS Veteran

Wow, I have learned a lot from this thread. I'm shocked that someone counterfeits Disney pins! I've purchased a small "lot" of "genuine" Disney pins and it appears that at least some of them are not "genuine".
Old 04-05-2011, 07:15 PM   #17
kycanonist
Mouseketeer

I wish I could see photos of what you mean by some of these things...
Register to remove

Old 04-05-2011, 08:45 PM   #18
n2mm
aka WALTSGIRL

OK, I'm also shocked by this. I use to collect pins with a passion from 2000-2005, then I stopped. I went cold turkey and just walked away. Fast forward, 6 years now. I decided that they need to go. So off to the auction site to start listing them. And boy am I shocked after reading "big" sellers' feedback. Wow, I didn't even have a clue this was going on. A lot of the "sellers" are selling fake pins?? Maybe by mistake?? So now I'm a little nervous about listing my legit pins. I did some reading on pinpics and was amazed at what a huge issue the fake pins are now. So I decided to scan the backs because I feel like I'm going to sell them and the "bad guys" are going to do the switch a roo on me and try to accuse me of selling the fake one. Hopefully scanning the front and back will help protect me. I'm just a small fry compared to these big sellers. I'm sure they will be buying up some of my stock to make complete sets. I have lanyard pins from the start. I won't even start on how many bins of pins I have tucked under my bed....lets just say, I was so out of control that I needed an intervention! I'm glad I found out about these fakes pins now. I stopped collecting in 2005 because it had gotten out of control with the release of so many pins for each event. Every now and then I still like to trade for cute lanyard pins, but you won't find me in the pin lines buying LE pins anymore. I kicked the habit!

n2mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:58 PM   #19
happyleesh
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2mm View Post
OK, I'm also shocked by this. I use to collect pins with a passion from 2000-2005, then I stopped. I went cold turkey and just walked away. Fast forward, 6 years now. I decided that they need to go. So off to the auction site to start listing them. And boy am I shocked after reading "big" sellers' feedback. Wow, I didn't even have a clue this was going on. A lot of the "sellers" are selling fake pins?? Maybe by mistake?? So now I'm a little nervous about listing my legit pins. I did some reading on pinpics and was amazed at what a huge issue the fake pins are now. So I decided to scan the backs because I feel like I'm going to sell them and the "bad guys" are going to do the switch a roo on me and try to accuse me of selling the fake one. Hopefully scanning the front and back will help protect me. I'm just a small fry compared to these big sellers. I'm sure they will be buying up some of my stock to make complete sets. I have lanyard pins from the start. I won't even start on how many bins of pins I have tucked under my bed....lets just say, I was so out of control that I needed an intervention! I'm glad I found out about these fakes pins now. I stopped collecting in 2005 because it had gotten out of control with the release of so many pins for each event. Every now and then I still like to trade for cute lanyard pins, but you won't find me in the pin lines buying LE pins anymore. I kicked the habit!
I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum, I'm looking to start a collection for my DD, but I had no idea this was going on either! What a bummer.
happyleesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:08 PM   #20
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2mm View Post
No it's not a mistake, most of those sellers are getting their pins from China directly......
I have sold a few pins and pin sets on eBay, my listing say my pins are NOT scrappers and I do offer refunds (buyer to pay return shipping) if the buyer is not satisfied. I haven't sold many but the ones I've done have been just fine. I wouldn't hesitate to list your pins, list them at higher prices and make sure you say they are not scrappers in your listings, you'll get some hits.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:56 PM   #21
n2mm
aka WALTSGIRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiewings71 View Post
No it's not a mistake, most of those sellers are getting their pins from China directly......
I have sold a few pins and pin sets on eBay, my listing say my pins are NOT scrappers and I do offer refunds (buyer to pay return shipping) if the buyer is not satisfied. I haven't sold many but the ones I've done have been just fine. I wouldn't hesitate to list your pins, list them at higher prices and make sure you say they are not scrappers in your listings, you'll get some hits.
Thanks. I listed some WDW lanyard pins that ended this past weekend. I did the .99 start since it was still free to list this way for the very last time before the new ebay rules start next week. Out of 90 pins 87 sold. I thought that was good. Yes, some went for .99, but lots of others higher. I think I helped alot of folks put together sets that had missing pins while providing some folks with some decent traders for their next visit to WDW. Not sure what to list next. So many pins I just don't know where to start. You gave me some good tips! thanks! I will offer refunds if they are not happy. Since all of my pins are before 2005, they should all be real, especially since I bought most of them myself. I use to do a little trading online too, but that was ages ago. I do think I will start grouping them together, since I was compulsive and had to have every pin in a series when buying them. Of course my DH working for the Disney catalog didn't help my addiction one bit either.

Last edited by n2mm; 04-13-2011 at 08:55 PM.
n2mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:01 PM   #22
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!

LOL I hear you on the addiction part.....when you've got more listed drop by and give us your eBay name, or PM me if you prefer. I'd be interested in seeing what you have up. I'm glad you had some good sales!

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:56 PM   #23
Pikezh638
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkluttrell View Post
Since I know the CM's don't really take the time to know if they are trading a "scrapper" or not (for the most part), is it okay for me to hold the pin and look at it then give it back and say no thank you if I think it might be a scrapper?
Not to raise this from the dead, but...

My girlfriend just found out a pin we got from a CM is fake, she said the date on the pin doesn't match what it should, while it is disappointing, we are just going to keep it.

It isn't the end of the world for us.

I guess the point of my post is to say that CMs apparently do trade out fakes but unintentionally.

2010 (July) Pop Century (December) Pop Century
2011 (October) All Star Sports (December) Carribbean Beach
2012 (January) All Star Sports (May) Pop Century
2013 (January) Saratoga Springs Treehouse (October) Saratoga Springs (October) Port Orleans-Riverside
2014 (January) Fantasy Cruise (January) Art of Animation (January) Pop Century
2015 (May) Magic Cruise
Pikezh638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:50 PM   #24
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!

Most CM's don't know enough about pins to tell a real from a fake. Some do, I've seen many CM's put pins aside (and yes, even pins I've traded to them, that's how I found out about the whole scrapper thing) and when asked they've mentioned the pin might be a scrapper. It's heartening to know some CM's do know but the reality is many don't or just don't care.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:41 PM   #25
the1andonlytikicarol
Earning My Ears

Great scrapper vids over at youtube.
Very informative !
For Pin Deals !
the1andonlytikicarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:45 AM   #26
Midnyghtchilde
Earning My Ears

Ah this is a very helpful list. I've been trying to figure out how to even tell if a pin is a scrapper, and now I can.

I found a pin on the ground in one of the parks in 2010 - a Jafar pin. I picked it up and kept it because it was cool. I don't collect and it just decorates my cube walls at work. Now that I have found DIS and read this I checked my pins and sure enough that Jafar is a scrapper - its sooo similar, but the Mickey shapes on the back don't go to the edge! It has a lip. The face art is just a tiny bit off in inspection too. Now I have something to compare to for the future.

Also explains why it was on the ground I imagine. Thanks for the info!
Midnyghtchilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:25 AM   #27
Praise2Him
DIS Veteran

I've posted this before, but as a CM who pin trades, we aren't taught/told anything about scrappers. What I know I've learned from these boards.

Also, I don't replenish my pins each day. I start out with what's left over from the day before, so that strategy won't necessarily work.

I've also seen people suggest trading first thing in the morning, which isn't necessary either, since CMs come in for their shifts at all times of day. I work at night, so I usually start around 4-7 pm.

Rodney Lisa Kenton Tiffany Kevin Leighton Jayden
Praise2Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:53 PM   #28
ObsessedWithDW
GoingEveryYear

I understand that "scrappers" lower the value of legit pins but if it is truly about trading and collecting, does it really matter? I want to trade for fun, not for profit. If it has the stamp on the back, according to the rules of trading, a CM has to trade so they are not to blame. They are doing what they are told. Bottom line, there are fakes of everything out there and we need to decide... Are we trading for the fun of trading? OR are we trading to collect a complete set of genuine pins that are worth money? For me i trade for fun, if I like a pin and it is in good condition, I trade for it. I do not bring "scrappers" into the parks but some people do and what can you truly do about it.

Summer/'87-Off Site, 6/'05-Movies-Dalmations, 2/'11-Pop-70's, 6/'12-Sports-Homerun, 6/'13-DVC-BLT & AKL-Jambo

AUTHORIZED DISNEY VACATION PLANNER

Last edited by ObsessedWithDW; 02-28-2012 at 05:59 PM.
ObsessedWithDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:18 AM   #29
dramaticmissy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedWithDW View Post
I understand that "scrappers" lower the value of legit pins but if it is truly about trading and collecting, does it really matter? I want to trade for fun, not for profit. If it has the stamp on the back, according to the rules of trading, a CM has to trade so they are not to blame. They are doing what they are told. Bottom line, there are fakes of everything out there and we need to decide... Are we trading for the fun of trading? OR are we trading to collect a complete set of genuine pins that are worth money? For me i trade for fun, if I like a pin and it is in good condition, I trade for it. I do not bring "scrappers" into the parks but some people do and what can you truly do about it.
I totally agree, We got 2 pin starter kits for each child at disney.com, to start with for our up coming trip, They are excited about trading, it is fun, It's Disney, if my kids want to trade with a CM or board and they think it is cool, I am not going to sit there and obsess about it. If that pin that they pick is a scrapper oh well, it's a fun thing.

June 1976-My first trip!
March 2006 @ POP dd's 2nd birthday
August 2007 @ SSR 11 day trip
November 2008- POP dd's 7th birthday
May 2013 Port of Orleans Riverside- All girls week
dramaticmissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:35 AM   #30
Nakkira
DIS Veteran

Am sad. I did not realize this was going on BEFORE I bought a load from EBAY. No I am wondering if any of them are Real or if they are all scrappers.
Nakkira is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: