Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 03:14 AM   #1
scifihippie
Mouseketeer

4day pass. Skip AK for two days at MK?

I'm taking my 7 year old boy and 6 year old girl in June for 5 days (4 days in the parks, no park hopper). We've been to all the parks, but they were so little last time we did Epcot or AK two trips ago.

Last trip when they were 4 and 5, we did one day at MK and one at HS. I want to do Epcot for sure this time. I also need to do HS for the Jedi academy for DS. So, two days for MK or one at MK and one at AK? I didn't enjoy AK with them when they were so little. Didn't seem like much to do for them. Wondering if this time it might be better?

scifihippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:40 AM   #2
parkhopping
DIS Veteran

I think AK is worth another shot. They may be tall enough for some of the bigger rides this time, like Primeval Whirl, EE, and Dinosaur.

On the other hand, there is so much to do and see at MK and a second day there is not a bad idea.

Your kids are probably old enough to give some input. I would let them look at photos/videos of the MK and AK attractions and tell you what appeals to them more. Of course, you run the risk of each of them choosing a different park...so maybe Mom can choose if they can't agree

MK '99 ~ WDW vacation '01 (ASMu) ~ DL/DCA '03 ~ Now a FL resident seasonal passholder!
Everything you ever wanted to know about Be Our Guest
parkhopping is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-30-2013, 06:13 AM   #3
ChrisnKim913
DIS Veteran

It's a tough call. I would do what the PP said and get their input. I know that Animal Kindom is 'not a zoo', but do you go to zoos around your home town? If not, it might be worth it for them to see al the animals and also ride the safari, expedition everest, dinosaur, primeval whirl, tough to be a bug, kali river rapids.
ChrisnKim913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:22 AM   #4
scifihippie
Mouseketeer

Our town has one of the best zoos in the country and we go a lot.

I am trying to keep this a surprise, but want to make some ADR and need to decide. I might just end up having to tell them.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:38 AM   #5
ChrisnKim913
DIS Veteran

If you do Zoos a lot, I am not sure it would be worth it. Do your children enjoy thrill rides like Everest? If you don't think so, I would probably just stick with 2 days at MK.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:51 AM   #6
mslhb
Mouseketeer

If it were me I would skip AK and do 2 days at MK. I thought AK was just ok. There was something about the park layout that just didn't appeal to me. We have an extremely nice local zoo that we go to often. So for a short trip I would skip it.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:23 AM   #7
scifihippie
Mouseketeer

I don't think my son would do Everest. Now, my dd is a thrill seeker, but she's not tall enough and I'm by myself with them.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:30 AM   #8
jaz0308
Mouseketeer

I vote for 2 days at MK! There is SO much to do there! Although I love all things Disney, I am not the biggest fan of AK. In fact, last year with my 4 and 2 year old they had the most fun at an out of the way water fountain where they played and got soaking wet!
jaz0308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:54 AM   #9
ChrisnKim913
DIS Veteran

Yea I think 2 days at MK is what you should do
Old 04-30-2013, 08:06 AM   #10
TJBerry
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scifihippie View Post
I don't think my son would do Everest. Now, my dd is a thrill seeker, but she's not tall enough and I'm by myself with them.
I would do 2 days at MK and skip AK.
TJBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:24 AM   #11
Happyjen27
DIS Veteran

More MK. Absolutely.

My kids loved AK, but if I were short on time, it would be skippable for sure.

Dec 2012: Polynesian, my first trip
Dec 2013: Contemporary
2014: 2 Non-Disney trips planned, going to wait and see how this whole FP+ thing shakes out.
Happyjen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:33 AM   #12
FortForever
Disney since Day 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslhb View Post
There was something about the park layout that just didn't appeal to me.
It has the standard hub and spoke. The only park that has a crazy layout is HS. As many times as I've been there, I still get all turned around sometimes.

OP: Although I personally love AK, if I were taking young kids, I would choose to spend two days at MK. There is just not much for the younger ones at AK. At MK, there is at least a few days worth of appeal for that age group.

Have fun!
FortForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:20 AM   #13
kay1864
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scifihippie View Post
I'm taking my 7 year old boy and 6 year old girl in June for 5 days (4 days in the parks, no park hopper). We've been to all the parks, but they were so little last time we did Epcot or AK two trips ago.

Last trip when they were 4 and 5, we did one day at MK and one at HS. I want to do Epcot for sure this time. I also need to do HS for the Jedi academy for DS. So, two days for MK or one at MK and one at AK? I didn't enjoy AK with them when they were so little. Didn't seem like much to do for them. Wondering if this time it might be better?
Can you add another day when you get to the parks? I think it's about $10 per ticket. If so, possibly on your 5th day, you could do a half day at MK. So you could do the "left half" of MK (including Wishes) on your full day, and do the right half (without Wishes) on the morning of your last day. (or reverse left and right, depending on where there are more rides that they want to do).

That way you could do all 4 parks, and still give MK the time it deserves.
kay1864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:53 AM   #14
scifihippie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay1864 View Post

Can you add another day when you get to the parks? I think it's about $10 per ticket. If so, possibly on your 5th day, you could do a half day at MK. So you could do the "left half" of MK (including Wishes) on your full day, and do the right half (without Wishes) on the morning of your last day. (or reverse left and right, depending on where there are more rides that they want to do).

That way you could do all 4 parks, and still give MK the time it deserves.
I used miles for plane tickets, so my flights don't make it conducive to another park day.

I think I've decided to do 2 MK days. I'm saving the second one for our last day and will decide then about swapping to ask if the kids want to.

Thanks everyone for your input!

Old 05-01-2013, 07:10 AM   #15
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortForever View Post
It has the standard hub and spoke. The only park that has a crazy layout is HS. As many times as I've been there, I still get all turned around sometimes.

OP: Although I personally love AK, if I were taking young kids, I would choose to spend two days at MK. There is just not much for the younger ones at AK. At MK, there is at least a few days worth of appeal for that age group.

Have fun!
LOL! I thought that I was the only one who is lost in DHS from the minute I walk in to the minute that I leave I just cannot find a way to sort those paths out

OP- I love AK bu I think if my time was limited I would probably go to MK a second day and save AK for the next trip. When my DGD was about the age of your kids she liked AK but loved Epcot, MK and DHS.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: