Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 11:43 AM   #76
Pesky
"Who's the monkey?!"

I'm more practical myself so do prefer something like that to flowers and candy, which while lovely, seems a little wasteful. If I asked for it (and I have asked for stuff like that), fine. If I didn't and that's what I ended up with, it would be returned.

DH, the Disney doubter Me DD6 DS4
DLR Plan #2!: Coming soon to a DLR near you
WDW Plan: October 2016 (so very, very far away )
Pesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:48 AM   #77
ItsNotMuchofaTail
but I'm sort of attached to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzrich View Post
What is with everyone thinking that not wanting housewares as a gift means that you are not practical, or that you want Jewlery and Flowers?

I don't think buying something for the house is a gift. I also don't wear Jewlery, don't want flowers, and don't eat candy.

Buy me something for me. Last year DH sent me to WDW for my 40th birthday I had a few days solo (Heaven!) and then him and the kids met me for the last few days. Best gift I ever recieved.
Oh, I think there are lots of other gift possibilities, but my XH only knew about jewelry or flowers...or nothing, LOL. I would have loved even a gift of 2 hours alone without guilt (doing whatever I want, without being made to feel like I should be at home, or that my chosen activity was weird, or calling me all the time to ask if I was coming home yet). That would cost nothing. My point was about the thought, which if someone gets you something you don't like or won't use, there isn't much thought there. Conversely, if someone would love a vacuum, and someone gave it to that person, its a very thoughtful gift.

Previous trips:
Off Site: Visiting the grandparents in the 80s - June 2000 - Honeymoon (POFQ) - June 2007 - DD's 1st trip (ASM)June 2010 - We're getting divorced and going anyway (CBR)

November 2012 - Just DD and me (POR-Royal Room)
ItsNotMuchofaTail is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-29-2013, 01:59 PM   #78
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't be happy. But then there are people who probably wouldn't like what I consider gifts. As long as the gift receiver is happy, all is fine.

I always tell my husband a couple of things I would like so I'd hope he'd get one of those things. He doesn't always. One year I got a lawn knome. A very ugly one. It was kind of funny. I'd shown him some garden statues I liked so I think that's why he decided to give me that.

This year I let him know that I would really like an Amazon gift card so I can buy a bunch of books for my Kindle. I love to read. And a new birdfeeder and I showed him which type I really like in a couple of different colors and designs.

I'm hoping he paid attention this year. LOL

Connie

WDW: 16 family trips, 10 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR (2), WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (3), POR (6) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:15 PM   #79
Lehuaann
Lehu hu Boo Boo

I would love it, but then again, I love to vacuum. Lines in the carpet make me happy...

...as long as it was one that I really wanted. Not an oversized duster.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:32 PM   #80
rainynight
Mouseketeer

I would be happy with it but I am tje type that would much rather receive something I would use than to spend money on flowers and going out to eat. I'm a total clean freak so I have received cleaning/houseware type gifts. I think if a husband put time and effort into buying a gift he thinks his wife will like then its just flat out inconsiderate for her not to at least smile and say thanks, and vice versa. With that being said my husband and I don't really do gifts for each other very often since we both pretty much have everything we want. For birthdays and Christmas and mothers/fathers day we spend money on vacations or little mini trips or some home improvement project. My point is...everyone is different. What works in one relationship will not work in another. Last mothers day I was thrilled that my gift was for my husband to finally get around to painting the trim on the house. That's what I asked for. To some people it may not have been much but to me who has been looking at the peeling paint for years was thrilled. After he spent all weekend painting we as a family cooked my favorite meal together since I'm not a fan of restaurant food and he made chocolate covered strawberries for dessert like he does every year. One of my cousins was shocked that I had such a boring mothers day. Lol
rainynight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:34 PM   #81
Anna114
Pluto Rocks!

My husband does not give me a gift for Mother's Day.... I'm not his Mom (thank God lol) but when we were broke it would have made a great gift... now, not so much.
5/1988 POLY (Honeymoon) 2/1998 Offsite 5/2002 Caribbean Beach 5/2006 Wilderness Lodge 12/2007 POP 8/2009 Port Orleans Riverside 5/2010 POLY CL (Anniversary) 10/2010 SSR 1/2011 OKW 8/2011 FW Cabins & VWL 12/2011 SSR 5/2012 VWL 9/2012 VWL 8/2013 VWL 25th Ann. w/my boys 5/2014 AKV 12/2014 VWL10/2015 VWL 5/2009 DVC Owners Villas at Wilderness lodge!

Anna114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:58 PM   #82
NotUrsula
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It's not that I don't like vacuums, they serve a great purpose. I just think the idea of giving your wife a vacuum as a present is kind of insulting. The vacuum is for the entire household's benefit, it's not really for the recipient.
Well, that would depend on who normally does the vacuuming, now wouldn't it? A gadget that lessens the work that a person has to do around the house can be a wonderful gift, because it makes that person's burder lighter.

I remember the year that my father bought my mother a floor waxer for her birthday. She LOVED it -- because it meant that she would never have to get down on her hands and knees to wax the hardwood floors ever again.
NotUrsula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:34 PM   #83
Samar
DIS Veteran

I sit on both sides of this topic. On the one side, I too was raised where house items were NOT gifts HOWEVER my husband has purchased practical gifts for me that I really couldn't gripe about. lol

He bought me a clip on bookmark light when we first got married so I wouldn't keep him awake (this was pre kids when I'd stay up and read late), an iPod nano auxillary cord for the van, a watch, etc. He has bought me some non-practical gifts as well but I am just saying that none of these was a vacuum

99- ASMu 00- Off 01- Off 03- Off (mom's house) 05-Off (mom's) 06- Off Dec/Jan 08- High Point World Resort and The Palms Hotel and Villas AKL-Jambo July, 2010 POR August 2012 Disney Dream- 1st cruise! Sept 2013 Kidless on the Fantasy?? OH YEAH! August 8, 2015

Samar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:17 PM   #84
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna114 View Post
My husband does not give me a gift for Mother's Day.... I'm not his Mom (thank God lol) but when we were broke it would have made a great gift... now, not so much.
So true. We don't give each other mother or Father's Day gifts. I always thought that was strange. A push by the diamond companies started that new aspect of the Hallmark holiday push!
Old 04-29-2013, 09:23 PM   #85
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

I would LOVE a new vacuum for Mother's Day!! I really need one. It is funny this has come up because my husband is in OPs camp. He always feels like he shouldn't get me appliances for gifts and he couldn't be more wrong. It's like his mom brainwashed him into thinking he can't! But after 13 years of marriage he is finally coming around. There is nothing I love more than an appliance. Heck if he bought me a new food processor I would be over the moon! (Mine just broke. ) But that is me. And I get why others would not want it. I have no need for candy, clothes or jewelry. Now a trip to Disney, maybe.

I do want to say that although he has given into giving me appliances he always gets me something else to go with it. And this year he got me PINK tickets for my birthday which is probably the BEST gift he has ever given me, so he can get away with giving me nothing for the next 36 months and I will not even care.

(Me and DH), (DD12), (DS11), (DS7),(DD7) &
wallawallakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:35 PM   #86
lovewdwdvc
DIS Veteran

vacuum

I would take a vacuum any day and be grateful.

RESORTS: POP, ASSp, Poly, BWI, SSR, CBR, Swan, VWL, AKL, Dixie Landings, POR, PORFQ,BWV. BCV, Fort Wilderness Cabin, BCV
lovewdwdvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:49 AM   #87
MrsJackSparrow4Life
DIS Veteran

Quote:

The thing I hope people to take away from this thread is that gifts don't have to be either "housewares" or "Jewelry and flowers" There are plenty of fun gifts out there that don't fit in either category.
There is not enough room to type every unpractical/fun gift out there and jewelry and flowers are the most common, so that is going to be what is talked about the most.

You mentioned clothing- not everyone likes clothing and would hate a shopping trip. I have to drag my mother kicking and screaming sometimes just to get her to pick out new items when hers are beginning to look very, very worn.

Trips- Not everyone likes solo trips. I personally love them but I can't afford them plus a family vacation, so they don't happen very often.

Spa trips- same thing as clothing, certain people have to be dragged kicking and screaming and would not appreciate the thought behind the gift.

I personally don't get why someone would care one way or another what someone else got as long as the someone else was happy with it. Just because someone else finds vacuums to be wonderful gifts doesn't mean you have to get one yourself. Obviously your husband understands what you like for gifts, so I don't think you have to worry about it.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:55 AM   #88
malibuconlee
OOH - I think I've finally figured out the multi-quote feature!
Don't forget to get your drink of water from the "Fountain of Youth!!"

If it's more expensive than something I would normally buy I'm OK with it. I asked for and got a Roomba a couple of years ago for Valentines Day!

Although I do have to admit my husband bought me a canopener as one of my Christmas gifts this year. It was thoughtful, I was having issues with the hand opener I had and he thought this one looked nice enough to be on the counter

I've also gotten Kitchenaid Mixer and a Kitchenaid food processor as Christmas presents and was thrilled with both. Again, not something I would go out and buy myself, but loved them and use them all the time!

malibuconlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:48 AM   #89
Princess Disney Mom
DIS Veteran

I would be thrilled. I love a good vacuum.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
2006 - CR X 2/ DoubleTree WDW/ POFQ/ Music Resort
2007 - POP X 3/ Double Tree WDW
2008 - Disneyland/ BoardWalk / Off Site WDW
2009 - Offsite/Doubletree at WDW/CR/Boardwalk
2010 - Disneyland/ Doubletree WDW/HBC/ Music Resort
2011 - Hilton Bonnet Creek/ Port Orleans Riverside
2012 - Hilton Bonnet Creek
2013- Disneyland / Grand Floridian
2014 - Offsite/ Grand Floridian
Princess Disney Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:57 AM   #90
ImDMous
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61 View Post
I don't want any gift that entails me doing more work.

If my dh wanted to buy me a vacuum, it better have a maid attached to the end of it.
Exactly!! Things that are required to keep house are not gift, they are household expenses. Only appropriate if I specifically ask for it and tell him exactly what I want.

DLR - passholders, as often as possible
WDW - 3 nights Swan May 2008; 7 nights POFQ Aug 2011
DCL - Wonder 4 night Bahamas May 2008, Fantasy 7 night Caribbean May 2012
Wonder Pixar 7 night California Coast Sept 2012, Wonder WBPC 15 night May 2014
ImDMous is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: