Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 09:45 PM   #1
Dani C
DIS Veteran

Red face First time touring solo

It's been a while since I've posted, but I am now planning my first solo trip to the world. I opted for POR and Deluxe Dining and have all the ressies made. I welcome any tips that others may have to offer on the best way to do the solo thing.

Dani C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:07 AM   #2
dreamscometrue101
Mouseketeer

I'm doing the same thing for my first solo trip.... POR with Deluxe.

I travel solo a lot but never to Disney so will be a new experience.

My only input so far is enjoy at your own pace. Be willing to cancel ADRs last minute if something better comes up, or I guess in the case of Disney, if you get distracted and lose all track of time. (Which I'm sure I will do)

I'm going to follow this thread to see what suggestions you get as well.

dreamscometrue101 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-30-2013, 06:23 AM   #3
mouselike-harrier
Mouseketeer

I traveled solo for the first time in January and stayed at the Coronado. I loved going solo and am trying to talk DH and the kids to let me go again. Be flexible with your dining and don't be afraid to try a sit down restaurant with no ADR. You are only one and they usually can fit you in. I found that I enjoyed the sit down meals more and got extra attention. Nothing beats touring according to your speed and your likes. Have fun!
Old 04-30-2013, 08:48 AM   #4
tallen429
DIS Veteran

I just booked an improptu solo trip for next week!
I have wanted to do one for ages but I always ended up too worried I'd feel guilty for not taking the kids. However I finally reminded myself that we go at least 2-3 times a year and it's not like they haven't recently been or won't be again in the near future.
(I just took middle DS alone in late Jan)

I have always wanted to go during F&G festival and so I am! I'll be at AKL, one of our favorites.
My AP, TIW and the tons of FF miles we get from DH's international travel spoil me!

It will be sooooo nice to have a few days to relax because after that, our lives will be crazy for several months.

Enjoy!!!

tallen429 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:45 PM   #5
aVASTGrl
DIS Veteran

I took my first solo trip last year and had a great time! I stayed at YC with no DP. The best part for me was being able to take my time and do things that my family usually rushes me through, especially World Showcase

Like another PP said, I found I enjoyed my TS meals much more than the CS meals...I hated having to share tables with strangers, and that happened quite often! I think on my next solo trip I'll book more ADRs.

Have a great time!

[*]~Spring 2014 - WL"Flowers And Gardens And Bees" Solo Trip[*]~Summer 2013 - AKL "Family Reunion Recovery" Trip[*]~Halloween 2012 - YC Solo Extravaganza!![*]~Christmas 2011 - POFQ "Is That What Snow Looks Like?" Celebration[*]~Summer 2010 - Off-site[*]~Summer 2009 - CSR "Stop That Bus" Fun[*]~Summer 2008 - Off-site "Never Eating Salmon Again" Disaster[*]~Graduation 2007 - AKL "My Ankle Just Separated!!" Special Sister Vacay[*]~Late Summer 1998 - POFQ "Runaway Cart" Episode[*]~Early Summer 1998 - Disneyland Paris nee Eurodisney "Whinnie Le Pooh" Ooh La La[*]~March 1998 - Off-site Singing Competition "The Band Kids Stole Our Bus!!" Trip[*]~1985 - My One And Only Disneyland Trip That I Don't Remember[*]~1983-1996 - Every Other Summer WDW Pilgrimage aka the beginnings of my Disney Obsession Thank You Mom & Dad

aVASTGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:14 PM   #6
DaisyDuck001
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamscometrue101 View Post
I'm doing the same thing for my first solo trip.... POR with Deluxe.

I travel solo a lot but never to Disney so will be a new experience.

My only input so far is enjoy at your own pace. Be willing to cancel ADRs last minute if something better comes up, or I guess in the case of Disney, if you get distracted and lose all track of time. (Which I'm sure I will do)

I'm going to follow this thread to see what suggestions you get as well.
Some of the restaurants will bill your credit card $10 if you cancel less than a day before, or if you no-show.
DaisyDuck001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:11 PM   #7
Goofcoaster
Earning My Ears

I went on my first solo trip over thanksgiving and had a lot more fun than I thought I would. On my 3rd night I was eating at 50s prime time, (one of my favorites) and struck up a nice conversation with the waitress. Because I was on a solo trip and we had such a great conversation, she offered to show me around on her days off that week. I took her up on that and met a new friend.

So far my solo trip was one of the best trips I've had to WDW.
Goofcoaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:43 PM   #8
JamesA1
Mouseketeer

Went solo last fall and am in the process of planning another solo trip this fall. Like others have said do things at your own pace. There are some days I am a park hopping fool. Getting started early and hitting a few of my favorite things in two or more parks. Part of the fun for me is using different transportation options in one day. Bus to the MK, monorail to Epcot after a stop at the Kona for coffee, boat to the Studio. Others day I don't even get to a park until later in the day.

I've used the Deluxe plan and felt it was a lot of food. Be sure to give yourself time between seat down meals. I enjoyed the days more when having an early lunch and a later dinner. To reduce the number of meals I took advantage of a two-credit table service restaurants. I did not use any credits for breakfast or counter service since I only had the plan for two days and spread it over three. During that trip I had a split stay and only booked it with the first resort.

Have fun and enjoy.
JamesA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #9
kwdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani C View Post
It's been a while since I've posted, but I am now planning my first solo trip to the world. I opted for POR and Deluxe Dining and have all the ressies made. I welcome any tips that others may have to offer on the best way to do the solo thing.
Best tip - remember this is YOUR trip and YOU can do whatever you want. If you really don't like riding a particular ride - don't do it! If you really just want a nap - go take one! If you like to get up early - get up early! Or sleep late. Be selfish - and don't let anyone judge you on how you want to spend your time.

Second tip - use Photopass ALOT (and give them your camera, too). And vary your poses each time - otherwise you will get alot of you looking the same and that can be boring. Ask about magic shots, make funny faces, pose silly.

Third tip - realize that some things won't take as long as you expected based on your experience traveling in a group. Getting out of the room in the morning - it's just me. Eating - it's just me. There's no waiting for someone else to use the restroom or buy a snack. No time wasted as someone else tries to provide input into what you do next. I find I have MORE time in a day than I had planned to use.

Fourth tip - take along a small notebook to keep a journal or find a crappy old paperback to carry with you if you are headed to a nice table service meal. Occasionally, I've gotten "bored with myself" at longer nice meals and I can only read the news on my phone so long.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:26 PM   #10
kittylady1972
Disneyholic

Trying to get myself to pull the trigger on a solo trip. I have DH's blessing but the mom guilt sometimes takes over. I have to read a few more threads here and then I THINK I can get myself to purchase the flight tickets and just GO!!!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using DISBoards

The past:*Jan'14: DCL MAGIC*Sep/Oct'13 DCL WONDER*Aug'13:DLR*Jan'13: POP/SSR*Nov'12:VWL/DCL DREAM/THV*Jun'12:SWAN * Mar '12:BDWLK * Jun'11:BLT * Dec'09:SSR * May'09:BC&AKV *Oct'08:BCVDINING REPORT*Jun'08:POP* Nov'07:OKW&SSR*Oct'06:AKL*Jan '06:CR*Feb'04:BDWLK *Oct'03:POLY*Sep'01:CR*Oct'99:POR*Feb'97:ASM
kittylady1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:32 PM   #11
kittylady1972
Disneyholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallen429
I just booked an improptu solo trip for next week!
I have wanted to do one for ages but I always ended up too worried I'd feel guilty for not taking the kids. However I finally reminded myself that we go at least 2-3 times a year and it's not like they haven't recently been or won't be again in the near future.
(I just took middle DS alone in late Jan)

I have always wanted to go during F&G festival and so I am! I'll be at AKL, one of our favorites.
My AP, TIW and the tons of FF miles we get from DH's international travel spoil me!

It will be sooooo nice to have a few days to relax because after that, our lives will be crazy for several months.

Enjoy!!!
Hey there! Congrats on your solo trip! Can't wait to hear about it. I am working up the courage to book my own solo trip later this month. I just need some ME time and with the APs and TiW and DVC it makes it pretty easy to justify the lower cost. Hopefully I will finally take the plunge this week and book my flights!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using DISBoards

The past:*Jan'14: DCL MAGIC*Sep/Oct'13 DCL WONDER*Aug'13:DLR*Jan'13: POP/SSR*Nov'12:VWL/DCL DREAM/THV*Jun'12:SWAN * Mar '12:BDWLK * Jun'11:BLT * Dec'09:SSR * May'09:BC&AKV *Oct'08:BCVDINING REPORT*Jun'08:POP* Nov'07:OKW&SSR*Oct'06:AKL*Jan '06:CR*Feb'04:BDWLK *Oct'03:POLY*Sep'01:CR*Oct'99:POR*Feb'97:ASM
Old 05-09-2013, 11:28 AM   #12
BlueStarryHat

Just picture everyone sitting at the computer in their underwear

When I went solo in 2006, I took a notebook and pen with me to the parks, and whenever I took a break on a bench, I wrote in it about my trip, what I had just seen, what I was feeling...everything. It's my favorite souvenir of any trip I took.

What I loved about going solo was that I was the boss. I did what I pleased, when I pleased to do it. I saw so much more than on trips with others, and I had so many more conversations with CMs and others. I loved my TS meals, because I got treated so well because I was alone.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #13
Golden_Eagle426
Man of Steel

I did my Solo trip in January 2010 and it was by far, my favorite Disney trip! So fun to be able to move at your own pace and see/do all the things you want. Hope you have fun!
Cast member -Fall Advantage College Program/Spring 2012 College program (Chatham)
Golden_Eagle426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:22 PM   #14
tigger&tigerlover
Mouseketeer

My first time for going solo is in December. I can't wait!!!!
Old 05-10-2013, 06:13 PM   #15
kittylady1972
Disneyholic

Just booked my first solo trip this week. Three nights in Disney with NOBODY else...how will I manage? I booked a room at Pop Century because I wanted the extra feeling and convenience of being on property even though I'll have a car with me. I have a bit of mom guilt kicking in even though we have been there many times as a family, most recently in January! I'm really looking forward to touring at my own pace and just stopping to take in the scenery!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: