Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 10:57 PM   #1
Mom2Cody06
DIS Veteran

Hotel on way to WDW

Hello !! My family and I are driving to WDW is Sept from PA. It will be my parents, my hubby, myself and our 2 boys (ages 6 & 3). We are leaving Friday around dinner time and are planning to stop Saturday Night somewhere and check into WDW on Sunday. Here are the options we are thinking of, any help would be greatly appreciated

1. Drive to Orlando and stay at the Nick Hotel. This would give us a day to recover from driving, would provide plenty of entertainment for my boys and give us a short drive to WDW on Sunday morning.

2. Stop in Sy Augustine, FL. My parents have friends there they can visit but I am having trouble finding a family oriented hotel that will also keep my boys occupied. Any hotel help would be welcome

3. Palm Coast Fl, still near St Augustine. I found a hotel there with a water park, pools, and on the beach. It's called Hammock Beach, anyone stayed there or heard anything about it?

4. Daytona Beach. When we travelled to WDW when I was young we always spent Saturday night in Daytona. DH and I drove through Daytona on the way home in December and I was so sad to see that it seemed so different and well not as nice as I remembered. It was off season and I'm hoping that had something to do with its appearance. Any suggestions on whether to stay here or not and where to stay are welcome

Thanks for helping me out with my logistics.

DCL , 4 day cruise 9/7-9/11/2008
WDW All Star Sports 9/11-9/14/2008
WDW POR 9/11-9/18/2011
WDW POP 12/3-12/8/2012 (10th wedding anniversary)
WDW POR 9/22-9/28/2013

Mom2Cody06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:29 PM   #2
Upatnoon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Cody06 View Post
Hello !! My family and I are driving to WDW is Sept from PA. It will be my parents, my hubby, myself and our 2 boys (ages 6 & 3). We are leaving Friday around dinner time and are planning to stop Saturday Night somewhere and check into WDW on Sunday. Here are the options we are thinking of, any help would be greatly appreciated

1. Drive to Orlando and stay at the Nick Hotel. This would give us a day to recover from driving, would provide plenty of entertainment for my boys and give us a short drive to WDW on Sunday morning.

2. Stop in Sy Augustine, FL. My parents have friends there they can visit but I am having trouble finding a family oriented hotel that will also keep my boys occupied. Any hotel help would be welcome

3. Palm Coast Fl, still near St Augustine. I found a hotel there with a water park, pools, and on the beach. It's called Hammock Beach, anyone stayed there or heard anything about it?

4. Daytona Beach. When we travelled to WDW when I was young we always spent Saturday night in Daytona. DH and I drove through Daytona on the way home in December and I was so sad to see that it seemed so different and well not as nice as I remembered. It was off season and I'm hoping that had something to do with its appearance. Any suggestions on whether to stay here or not and where to stay are welcome

I would stay in St. Augustine. Instead of seeing a fake fort, they can see a real fort. There is also a nice park right next to the visitor's center in the old city where they can blow off some steam.

Staying at the Nick Hotel would pretty much erase any hopes of you resting.

Palm Coast is new and nice, but has zero character compared to St. Augustine. If you want to just sit by the pool and beach, its OK, but that's about it.

I can't say much about Daytona -- although I live an 90 minutes away, I've never had a reason to stop there other than to get gas or grab a quick meal.
Upatnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-30-2013, 01:12 AM   #3
dizzwizz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Cody06 View Post

I second the notion of staying in St. Augustine. In addition to the excellent Fort, there's tram "hop on, hop off" tours, Ghost Tours at night, lots of great sightseeing walks on cobblestone streets, lots of charm, horse and buggy rides, wonderful restaurants (The Columbia is great!), Old Jail, Ripley's Believe It or Not, a lighthouse you can climb to the top of, beaches, Alligator Farm with zip line over the gators... Daytona has a rundown Boardwalk, many restaurants and shops that have closed, but a nice world famous beach. Personally, I'd choose St. Augustine hands down!!!
dizzwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:21 AM   #4
shalom
DIS Veteran

Joining in the St. Augustine love. We stayed in a place on Anastasia Island, probably the Super 8 or the Regency Inn; nothing fancy, and not much to do onsite, but clean and basically across the street from the beach (when the tide was out). We spent the evening on the beach near the pier, chasing crabs and whatnot, then the next morning they let us have a late check out, so we walked down the pier to watch the sunrise, then drove down a few blocks and the kids played on the beach most of the morning.

Then we checked out and spent the afternoon at the fort and whatnot, before an easy drive to Orlando. Highly recommend St. Augustine. Tons of stuff to do there, even if you're not into beaches.
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:13 AM   #5
boakl
Mouseketeer

Earlier this month we stayed at the Holiday Inn Express just off I95 (St Augustine North location) and we loved it! New, very clean, safe, friendly , indoor pool, free breakfast. We chose it because of its excellent reviews on Trip Advisor, and we were not disappointed.
boakl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:04 PM   #6
Mom2Cody06
DIS Veteran

Thank you all! I will check out that Holiday Inn North, any other hotel suggestions in St Augustine?

DCL , 4 day cruise 9/7-9/11/2008
WDW All Star Sports 9/11-9/14/2008
WDW POR 9/11-9/18/2011
WDW POP 12/3-12/8/2012 (10th wedding anniversary)
WDW POR 9/22-9/28/2013

Mom2Cody06 is offline   Reply With Quote