Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-22-2013, 10:46 PM   #1081
awfullybigadventure
Mouseketeer
 
awfullybigadventure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 139

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppony View Post
Given your stats and knowing mine , I am 99.999999% certain you'll be perfectly fine. Size 20 is still well within the armrests.

But yes, flying now is VERY anxiety filled for the overweight. Will we be humiliated?
I think there is anxiety for even the non-pooh sized, but for the pooh-sized it's compounded! Thank you for your reassurance. I really hope you are right!
awfullybigadventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:51 PM   #1082
ppony
Artist in residence
 
ppony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Posts: 5,116

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfullybigadventure View Post
I think there is anxiety for even the non-pooh sized, but for the pooh-sized it's compounded! Thank you for your reassurance. I really hope you are right!
True enough.

If you're curious too, as I always am, once you've booked your flight, you can check on www.seatguru.com to see the specs for the seats on that aircraft. Most aircraft these days are 17 inch seats but there are still some at 18. You'd think 1 inch wouldn't matter so much, but it really does.
__________________
ME-Stephanie (44) Brian (DH 49) , Nicholas (DS14), Daniel (DS7)
~1994, 1997, 1999, 2003, 2006, 2009 DCL, 2010(1st DVC), 2012 (twice), Sept & Dec. 2014 DCL&WDW, 2016 first DL trip, 2018 Flower & Garden Fest. trip

ppony is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-22-2013, 11:08 PM   #1083
awfullybigadventure
Mouseketeer
 
awfullybigadventure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 139

Thanks, maybe I will check that out tomorrow. Could make me feel better or a lot worse! Part of my problem is that I haven't flown with my family since 2006, back when I was a size 10 and we all had assigned seats. I don't understand what it's like now. People are talking about not getting seated with their kids. It makes no sense to me! I thought if i purchased 5 seats we would all be together. I know my kids, although not really young anymore (11, 13 and 17), will still be upset if we're not together! Between that and worrying about being humiliated, I probably should have had a glass of wine tonight! Not sure I'm going to sleep...and I still have 5 more sleeps until we leave!
awfullybigadventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:39 PM   #1084
pearlieq
They can sit & spin
Imagine my shock when my cat slipped me the tongue
I've never been all that worried about getting cooties
I don't need chewy chunks
 
pearlieq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 8,439

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfullybigadventure View Post
Oh my gosh! I haven't spent one second worrying about the flights until the last couple of days reading the recent posts on this thread! I am a nervous wreck now!!! I am 5'7", 260 lbs. and a size 20. If they tell me that I'm too big or if the seat belt doesn't fit, I might die of embarrassment! I don't want my kids and husband to get upset by it either. I haven't flown in a couple of years and I have gained a lot of weight since then. I can't believe how nervous I am!
You're fine. Size 20 is nowhere near big enough to get to Customer of Size territory. It really starts to become an issue when you're about a size 24/26 or larger on the bottom.

The belts are pretty generous too--I'm a size 26 on the bottom and tend to carry my weight around my belly and they either just fit or are an inch or two short for me. You, being significantly smaller, should have plenty of clearance.

That being said, while it's very, very, very unlikely you'll have any issue, I promise you that in the tiny, infinitesimal chance that you do, you will not die. I've flown with both the extra seat and the belt extender dozens of times and it has yet to prove fatal.

In the end, the stress and embarrassment are 95% in your own head. If the belt doesn't fit, just catch the flight attendant's eye and quietly ask for a belt extender. They're all well trained at discreetly slipping you one. Just act like it's no big deal and, amazingly enough, it will be no big deal.
__________________
Can't see London
Can't see France
Until we see
Your underpants!
~TSA 2010
pearlieq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:52 PM   #1085
awfullybigadventure
Mouseketeer
 
awfullybigadventure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 139

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlieq View Post
You're fine. Size 20 is nowhere near big enough to get to Customer of Size territory. It really starts to become an issue when you're about a size 24/26 or larger on the bottom.

The belts are pretty generous too--I'm a size 26 on the bottom and tend to carry my weight around my belly and they either just fit or are an inch or two short for me. You, being significantly smaller, should have plenty of clearance.

That being said, while it's very, very, very unlikely you'll have any issue, I promise you that in the tiny, infinitesimal chance that you do, you will not die. I've flown with both the extra seat and the belt extender dozens of times and it has yet to prove fatal.

In the end, the stress and embarrassment are 95% in your own head. If the belt doesn't fit, just catch the flight attendant's eye and quietly ask for a belt extender. They're all well trained at discreetly slipping you one. Just act like it's no big deal and, amazingly enough, it will be no big deal.
Well as long as you are absolutely certain that I won't die! Seriously, thank you for the reassurance. I am calming down ever so slightly now.
awfullybigadventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:39 PM   #1086
qtmissy19
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chesterton, IN
Posts: 55

So what I am understanding..... 22 or 24 size pants pushing it for fitting in the airplane seat. Size 20 pants and I am good. Is this right? Well I know what size I must get down to before we leave, lol.
__________________


Me (31) DH (38) DS (11)

Last edited by qtmissy19; 04-24-2013 at 05:40 PM. Reason: spelling
qtmissy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:13 PM   #1087
JustMeFran
Mouseketeer
 
JustMeFran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Danville, NH
Posts: 107

I am a 22/24 (all belly) and we flew US Air in January. The little planes I was fine with the seat belt, however on the larger planes it JUST clicked, I did have a moment of panic. Arm rests did go down, though. It was me, my pooh size DH and my DD6....we put DD in the center seat and it was good.
__________________
-Fran

JustMeFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:56 PM   #1088
pearlieq
They can sit & spin
Imagine my shock when my cat slipped me the tongue
I've never been all that worried about getting cooties
I don't need chewy chunks
 
pearlieq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 8,439

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtmissy19 View Post
So what I am understanding..... 22 or 24 size pants pushing it for fitting in the airplane seat. Size 20 pants and I am good. Is this right? Well I know what size I must get down to before we leave, lol.
I've found it's really closer to size 26 where you would start to enter the "customer of size" zone.

When I was a 28 I could probably have just squeaked by with them testing whether the armrest would have come down and I'm clearly within at a 26, but it would still be rather uncomfortable to actually fly for hours that way next to a stranger. At size 24 I was well within the armrests, though still squished. But I think anyone over a size 6 is squished on planes these days!

At size 22 or 20 I wouldn't even give it a second thought!
__________________
Can't see London
Can't see France
Until we see
Your underpants!
~TSA 2010
pearlieq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:59 PM   #1089
pearlieq
They can sit & spin
Imagine my shock when my cat slipped me the tongue
I've never been all that worried about getting cooties
I don't need chewy chunks
 
pearlieq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 8,439

Also--a tip for anyone who is just close to buckling the seatbelt but, for whatever reason, doesn't want to request a belt extender (though I still recommend that you do--you'll be so much more comfortable and probably safer): recline the seat to buckle your seatbelt.

Just pull the belt into position around your narrowest part (belly or hips), recline your seat back, fasten the belt, and return to the upright position. Of course, the belt will be VERY snug, but this will usually get it buckled if you're close.
__________________
Can't see London
Can't see France
Until we see
Your underpants!
~TSA 2010
pearlieq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:07 AM   #1090
mrsksomeday
My Prince uses a power wheelchair!
 
mrsksomeday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Southern Illinois
Posts: 7,640

The Disney Store online has 3xl and 4xl tee shirts on sale for $12 each. Hurry there are only 16 shirts to choose from and that includes men and women.
mrsksomeday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:18 PM   #1091
LapuLapu
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 11

Country Bear Jamboree Turnstiles?

I am wondering if anyone has been to the Country Bear Jamboree since it was refurbed late in 2012. Do they still have the smaller old school turnstiles or have they done away with them? If I recall, the turnstiles were Haunted Mansion narrow, where the scoot sideways trick could sometimes still be a narrow squeeze for me.

I know Carousel of Progress still has the smaller ones as of my trip in March 2013, but there is an entrance to the side of the turnstile that the CM will remove the chain from and allow you to go through. Can't recall if there was an easy, not so "look at me" way to get into Country Bears if they still are rockin' the narrow turnstiles.

Anyone want to help compile a list of rides still with the narrow turnstiles?

Haunted Mansion - removed
Carousel of Progress - narrow old style as of March 2013
The riverboat - ? I know it was there when I last rode about 4 or 5 years ago, but I have been avoiding it since.
PeopleMover - turnstile doesn't seem too narrow as of March 2013
Walt Disney World Railroad - I recall the Main St. station had them, but I haven't ridden in about 4-5 years. Is it still there? How about any of the other stations?

Feel free to add to the list. Thank you in advance for any info you can contribute!
LapuLapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:26 AM   #1092
Mickey'sApprentice
Shamelessly demand, it works better
DIS Veteran
 
Mickey'sApprentice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Montgomery, Alabama
Posts: 4,511

Quote:
Originally Posted by LapuLapu View Post
I am wondering if anyone has been to the Country Bear Jamboree since it was refurbed late in 2012. Do they still have the smaller old school turnstiles or have they done away with them? If I recall, the turnstiles were Haunted Mansion narrow, where the scoot sideways trick could sometimes still be a narrow squeeze for me.

I know Carousel of Progress still has the smaller ones as of my trip in March 2013, but there is an entrance to the side of the turnstile that the CM will remove the chain from and allow you to go through. Can't recall if there was an easy, not so "look at me" way to get into Country Bears if they still are rockin' the narrow turnstiles.

Anyone want to help compile a list of rides still with the narrow turnstiles?

Haunted Mansion - removed
Carousel of Progress - narrow old style as of March 2013
The riverboat - ? I know it was there when I last rode about 4 or 5 years ago, but I have been avoiding it since.
PeopleMover - turnstile doesn't seem too narrow as of March 2013
Walt Disney World Railroad - I recall the Main St. station had them, but I haven't ridden in about 4-5 years. Is it still there? How about any of the other stations?

Feel free to add to the list. Thank you in advance for any info you can contribute!
We went in January.

I DO NOT Recall the turnstiles. I say that because...my NOT remembering is a good sign.
__________________
Apr '92 Off Property (Honeymoon): Dec '94, Feb '02 CR: Jan '05 WL/POR: Nov '06, Jan '09 HHI: Apr '07: First Trip "Home" to BWV: Jan '08: BWV, Mar '09: POR/BWV: Jan. '10 POR/AKV (Jambo), July '10: POFQ/BCV: Dec '10 AKV (Kidani)/POR:Sep. '11 POR/BWV, Jan '12: POP, Apr '12: POR/BWV, Jan '13: Conference/WL, Jul "13:POR. Dec '13: DOL/BLT, Jul '14: BWV 40th B-day Trip Report

Mickey'sApprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:04 PM   #1093
LapuLapu
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey'sApprentice View Post
We went in January.

I DO NOT Recall the turnstiles. I say that because...my NOT remembering is a good sign.
Thank you for the info, Mickey's Apprentice! So for now, we'll have Country Bear Jamboree as a tentative turnstile-free zone
LapuLapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:22 PM   #1094
mrsksomeday
My Prince uses a power wheelchair!
 
mrsksomeday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Southern Illinois
Posts: 7,640

I think most locations that have turnstiles have an alternative, just ask. Many times all it takes is a look at the CM and they understand what you need. I look at the turnstile like "seriously, not going to happen" .
mrsksomeday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:51 PM   #1095
LapuLapu
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 11

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsksomeday View Post
I think most locations that have turnstiles have an alternative, just ask. Many times all it takes is a look at the CM and they understand what you need. I look at the turnstile like "seriously, not going to happen" .
Thanks for the laugh, mrsksomeday!

I have no issue asking to get in another way, it's just been so long since I've been on Country Bear Jamboree, the WDW Railroad, or the Riverboat I can't even recall the setup and what they have as an alternate. I vaguely recall Country Bears having an alternate entrance for folks using wheelchairs, but I can't picture a turnstile-free entrance other than that.

Next September we're going with little ones for the first time in a long time, so CBJ will be on the to do list. I guess I'll figure it out firsthand
LapuLapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pooh-Sized and IOA LurkerLisa Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums 8 07-16-2014 04:13 PM
Pooh sized husband/Tinkerbell sized wife anadyr21 Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies 6 05-19-2009 03:49 PM
Pooh sized mom at Sci Fi momjkm Disney Restaurants 3 05-10-2009 05:11 PM
Pooh sized folks beware of Pooh ride DL Lou-Ann disABILITIES! 12 08-10-2008 04:40 PM
Pooh Sized? Rafiki Rafiki Rafiki Community Board 2 04-24-2005 01:28 PM

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: