Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 06:58 AM   #1
AustralianJetsetter
Mouseketeer

Dream or new Magic?

We are booked on the Dream for May 2014 but after looking we have just noticed that we could do the 4nt Bahamas cruise on the Magic leaving the following day and for the same price as our concierge family oceanview room on Dream we could have the 1 bedroom suite on the Magic.

What to do??? What would be the differences that could disappoint us after becoming so excited for the Dream? I know the Magic is getting the Oceaneers club/lab and the Aquadunk.....my kids would defs prefer the Aquaduck but is there anything else?

Would love any feedback :-)
AustralianJetsetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:23 AM   #2
Fantasiesabound
Mouseketeer

we're going Magic all the way!!

Just switched from Dream to Magic cruise in Feb.!

I didn't like the AquaDuck but think the Dunk looks really like a blast! And the lines will be shorter because it's a smaller ship. I love the new twister slide for the kids and we are truly psyched about the Avengers Academy!

I have done the Dream and missed the Magic's size while on it. Really didn't like the restaurants on the Dream except for Animator's. Now that's rectified on the Magic. My kids loved the clubs on the Dream but the re-hab makes up for that too.

It's a win/win for us to switch and have the lesser crowds and the intimacy of the Magic while getting the Disney enhancements of a "new" ship.

Love it!

Link to some of my scrapbooking pics from our 2006 Cruise:http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=326
07/13/12 - 07/15/12 2SN NYC Disney Magic cabin 2012 ~ ~ 04/17/11 - 04/21/11 4S Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Dream cabin 5650 ~~ 04/18/09 - 04/25/09 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic cabin 7586 ~~ 04/29/06 - 05/06/06 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic cabin 6608
Fantasiesabound is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-29-2013, 11:47 AM   #3
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

We got off the Dream 2 weeks ago, and it was a great fun experience. So much so that we think we may have talked Twinkie's DH to coming with us for a 4 day (he did not care for his 7 Carnival first time cruise. Didn't hate it, but just wasn't occupied enough and since we don't gamble, it was just kinda a food fest with some good Mayan pyramids for him...)

So do you think he would be happy on a ship like the Magic? For instance, my ADD Husband went all over the dream, riding the Duck, playing the Mysteries of the Stolen Puppies or Art, he always had something to do (evening coloring in the MDR with a mysterious kid's menu that kept popping up!) so he was very happy on the Dream.

Is there that much to occupy adults as well on the 2014 Magic? Like the interactive mysteries? What about the new Marvel space, is that ONLY available to youngsters? (And if so, can they not change out a bar to be more fun and super hero too? haha jk, all I'm saying is most of us don't want to only go to an adults section to drink. We would like to be super heros too!)

So anyone have any insight? It looks to me like the same week, the same 4 days cruise is $300 cheaper still on the Magic, which is always a plus, especially since it will the same week. Our anniversaries are a week a part, so we thought we might do a Twinke Anniversary trip and celebrate it together possibly.

But if we can get Twinkie's DH on board for a second cruise, I do NOT want him to be bored like he was on the previous experience?

So that makes me wonder about Dream vs Updated Magic?

Last edited by TwinPrincessMermaids; 04-29-2013 at 11:53 AM.
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:54 AM   #4
Four Swampers
Picture is Disney Wonder at Cabo San Lucas

I have been on all four ships and I love all four, for different reasons. The aquaduck and the magic art/art detectives on the new ships are a blast. The slightly more intimate feel of the older ships is preferable to me versus the bigger feel of the new ships. I like O'Gill's on the Fantasy, and that is coming to the Magic!

In the end, it is hard to go wrong. I think the best way to do cruise with Disney is to decide to be happy with your choice. Then consider doing the other one next time!

I have never run out of things to do, even on a longer cruise on the older ships prior to upgrades. Neither have my wife nor children.
Four Swampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:58 AM   #5
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

I also noticed that we can cruise the Wonder, get an extra day at Cozumel (which I LOVE Chankanaab so very very much!) and make it a 5 day for about the same as the 4 day Magic. But then I wonder about the Wonder being enough to occupy brainiac adult men on the go...

And then you have to get to Miami which is Meh but it is cheaper...
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:54 AM   #6
AustralianJetsetter
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the replies guys. My kids really want to do the Aquaduck & seeing this was a real drawing point for us to sail DCL we will stick with the Dream.

Cheers though :-)
AustralianJetsetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:03 PM   #7
crichardson11
Mouseketeer

We just got off the Dream and booked again for next May. Now that I'm home and looking at the details of dates & pricing I'm considering switching to the Magic. Convince me that it'll be just as magical as the Dream. Or will I miss the big ship? The crowds were a little overwhelming on the Dream and we didn't do the pools because of it but there were plenty of other things to do. Besides the Aquaduck, what will I miss from the Dream?
crichardson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:23 PM   #8
Fantasiesabound
Mouseketeer

The kids clubs and Crush in AP were all we missed going back onto the Magic after the Dream. And this was, obviously, prior to dry-dock. I thik both things will be rectified.

We soooo happily enjoyed the pools of the Magic once again. That pool situation on the Dream is really bad in my opinion and we rarely used it because of the crowds, but on the Magic my kids are in the Mickey pool whenever they can be when not scheduled to be somewhere else.

Link to some of my scrapbooking pics from our 2006 Cruise:http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=326
07/13/12 - 07/15/12 2SN NYC Disney Magic cabin 2012 ~ ~ 04/17/11 - 04/21/11 4S Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Dream cabin 5650 ~~ 04/18/09 - 04/25/09 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic cabin 7586 ~~ 04/29/06 - 05/06/06 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic cabin 6608
Fantasiesabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:51 PM   #9
crichardson11
Mouseketeer

I was just reading about the kids club upgrades and they sound amazing. Also Animator's is getting a makeover too. The more I read the more I'm convincing myself to switch to the Magic.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:06 PM   #10
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by crichardson11 View Post
I was just reading about the kids club upgrades and they sound amazing. Also Animator's is getting a makeover too. The more I read the more I'm convincing myself to switch to the Magic.
That is the thing my daughter was so worried they would remove - the slide in the kids club. She ADORES it. Instead of removing it, the redesign looks amazing!!! The addition of Pixie Hollow and the Mickey Mouse Club areas and she is pumped. She likes the Dream/Fantasy kids clubs, but sticks to crafts and complains there are too many computers. I think boys will thoroughly enjoy the additions as well, especially the Marvel Academy!!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2016 Wonder Jan Southern ~ 2015 Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic Oct Southern/B2B repo ~ 2013 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:22 PM   #11
crichardson11
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox97 View Post

That is the thing my daughter was so worried they would remove - the slide in the kids club. She ADORES it. Instead of removing it, the redesign looks amazing!!! The addition of Pixie Hollow and the Mickey Mouse Club areas and she is pumped. She likes the Dream/Fantasy kids clubs, but sticks to crafts and complains there are too many computers. I think boys will thoroughly enjoy the additions as well, especially the Marvel Academy!!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
I'm psyched. After reading some more I'm ready to switch today!
Old 05-22-2013, 08:05 PM   #12
lborne
It all started with a rabbit

After many cruises, we have learned that smaller is better. Magic all the way. What good is the aquaduck if you have an hour wait?
lborne is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: