DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 12:27 PM   #196
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxdvz View Post
...Now we are a family of 6, and still book 1BR @ BCV and BWV. We'll probably do this until our youngest is 3 then we'll have to move to 2BRs. Otherwise, 1 BRs have always been the plan.
This is confusing because MS doesn't allow six in the one bedrooms that only sleep four (you can have four plus one under the age of three or five aged three and older).

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:44 PM   #197
Jeff1805
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
This is confusing because MS doesn't allow six in the one bedrooms that only sleep four (you can have four plus one under the age of three or five aged three and older).
This is where I'm confused - several have replied that have stayed with 5 (or more), but the descriptions state "sleeps 4, can have 5 if under 3". How are you guys doing this?
Register to remove

Old 04-29-2013, 01:08 PM   #198
szymcl
Mouseketeer

The website where you do your online booking now states, at least for Beach Club and Boardwalk, that a one bedroom will sleep 4, but allows 5 adults if you provide your own bedding.
Maybe this will help. My husband and I have 3 adult children, unmarried, who live in 3 different cities. One of them is a Disney employee, working at Walt Disney World right now! Anyway, over the years, we have done different scenarios, from for example, reserving a 2 bedroom, only to have 2 of them come, hence too much space, to reserving a 1 bedroom and having our daughter who has her own apartment, stay with us, making 5 in the one bedroom! (She has 4 roommates, so she likes to move out for a bit!)
Bottom line, it depends on your family. We can share a bedroom, and we see each other so seldom that the closer quarters are fine. Our daughter usually puts a blow up mattress somewhere. The men in my family are 6' and taller if that helps. Bay Lake Tower with the 2nd bath makes that a better choice when possible. And of course 2 bedrooms is better, but I only have 200 points, so I like to budget them!
That said, this past Christmas, the five of us were in a one bedroom at Beach Club Villas. My brother and his family were staying at Port Orleans, and my cousin and her husband drove up from Palm Beach County for the day and we had a nice Christmas Dinner and celebration in our room, with some walks around the lake for atmosphere. It was lovely, lots of good memories!
szymcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:28 PM   #199
myxdvz
DVC - BLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
So, I've only had our membership for 3 years, but I have been able to book my family of 6 (one under 3) on BCV and BWV without problems.

I don't know if this has changed, or hast just been an implicit rule.
Dec 2006 - X DLR / May 2010 - XY WDW, ASMo / March 2011 - XYZ DVC/DCL (AKV, Dream, OKW, Hilton) / Jan 2012 - XYZ DLR, PPH, VGC / June 2013 - WXYZ WDW, BCV/BWV / Oct 2013 - HKDL / Nov 2013 - WXYZ WDW/BLT/WBC, DCL/Magic / Mar 2014 WDW/OKW /
June 2014 HHI

myxdvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:30 PM   #200
myxdvz
DVC - BLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1805 View Post
This is where I'm confused - several have replied that have stayed with 5 (or more), but the descriptions state "sleeps 4, can have 5 if under 3". How are you guys doing this?
I have seen others mention it - and I have always refuted it with my experience. The site did allow me to book it - did it twice. Once for BCV and another for BWV.

Not sure if this change happened when the online reservations opened, or it has always been there but has been blocked by MS given their understanding of the rules.
Dec 2006 - X DLR / May 2010 - XY WDW, ASMo / March 2011 - XYZ DVC/DCL (AKV, Dream, OKW, Hilton) / Jan 2012 - XYZ DLR, PPH, VGC / June 2013 - WXYZ WDW, BCV/BWV / Oct 2013 - HKDL / Nov 2013 - WXYZ WDW/BLT/WBC, DCL/Magic / Mar 2014 WDW/OKW /
June 2014 HHI

Old 04-29-2013, 01:31 PM   #201
momto3pirates
DIS Veteran

We are a family of 5. We own at AKV and love the value 2 bedrooms. Gives us the extra space, extra beds, extra bathroom and extra tv for about 20 more points per week than a standard 1 bedroom. You definately need the 11 month advantage to book them though.
2005-Port Orleans Riverside
2006-summer-All Star Sports,Thanksgiving-AS Music
2007-Adults only anniversary trip-AKL
2008- summer PoP
2009-summer-AKV,MNSSHP-SSR
2010-summer at BLT,Thanksgiving at POP
2011-summer at BLT, Thanksgiving at GCH
2012-summer DLH, Thanksgiving-AKL-Jambo
2013-summer VGC, Thanksgiving-US/IOA
2014-summer VGC, Thanksgiving-AKL
momto3pirates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:36 PM   #202
myxdvz
DVC - BLT

I do have to say - that it really depends on your family. For us, vacation time means, it's "Sleep with Mommy and Daddy" time.

So - on weekends, summer break, etc - my kids fight over who's sleeping in our bedroom. When @ Disney, my girls and I will normally snuggle in the King bed, and the boys (DH and DS) will snuggle on the sofa bed.

When my girls become teens and take forever in the bathroom, I'm sure I would start dreaming about and booking the 2 BR with separate bathroom. For now, they still like taking a bubble bath together.
June 2014 HHI

Old 04-29-2013, 02:32 PM   #203
disfanforlife
DIS Veteran

We are a family of 5 and one of the reasons we bought DVC was so that we could have more comfortable and larger accommodations on our WDW trips. We bought 200 points at AKV which we thought would be enough for a 1 bedroom. But, our first trip we stayed in a two bedroom and have not stayed in anything smaller yet. We "may" try a one bedroom in January because we are only having our two daughters with us. And because this will be our first year with two trips - so I am seeing how far I can stretch our points. We just added on another 100 - so hopefully it will be enough - for now.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:14 PM   #204
miprender
Michelle Boo Boo

Quote:
So, I've only had our membership for 3 years, but I have been able to book my family of 6 (one under 3) on BCV and BWV without problems.

I don't know if this has changed, or hast just been an implicit rule.
You can still do this. We had 3 Adults and 3 children ( one being under 3) in a 1 bedroom and booked it with no problem.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:08 PM   #205
dbs1228
DIS Veteran

Family of 5 bought into DVC once DD's were teens and bought enough points to do a 2 bedroom every year - thats WHY we bought. We like down time and family time in the villa as much as we like park time!

dbs1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:32 PM   #207
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1805 View Post
I am on the lookout for purchasing into DVC. Although we are looking at OKW, we are open to other resort options. My concern is housing our family of 5 with our youngest being 5. Most of the options jump from 4 to 8. Is it possible/permissible to put 5 in a 1 bedroom? If not, what other options exist?
I think you should plan for a 2 BR going forward as the kids get a little older.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Online booking still states that 5 are allowed in a 1B, 9 in a 2B at BWV at least if you provide your own bedding for the 5th or 9th person. No age caveat.
And they will allow that but what they will not generally do is allow that number plus another under 3 other than Kidani, OKW and BLT 1 BR.

Quote:
We were a family of 5 when we purchased. My kids were then 5, 3 and 1. I bought enough points for a 1BR in BLT for an EOY trip. So far we have stayed at AKV Jambo 1 BR, OKW 2 BR and VGC 1 BR.

Now we are a family of 6, and still book 1BR @ BCV and BWV. We'll probably do this until our youngest is 3 then we'll have to move to 2BRs. Otherwise, 1 BRs have always been the plan.
Try reserving online and see what you get. You were given benefit outside the rules and outside of the normal approach. I wouldn't count on this option going forward nor would the argument that you were allowed to do this previously be reasonable. But DVC is nothing if not inconsistent.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:33 PM   #208
sweetdana
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I do have to say - that it really depends on your family. For us, vacation time means, it's "Sleep with Mommy and Daddy" time.

So - on weekends, summer break, etc - my kids fight over who's sleeping in our bedroom. When @ Disney, my girls and I will normally snuggle in the King bed, and the boys (DH and DS) will snuggle on the sofa bed.

When my girls become teens and take forever in the bathroom, I'm sure I would start dreaming about and booking the 2 BR with separate bathroom. For now, they still like taking a bubble bath together.
This is exactly the opposite of us. So yup individuals make it different. DH n I lovvvvve our alone time a 1 bedroom gives us, and I'd have a harder time relaxing being in a studio for long periods of time. i like talking to him, sitting on the porch outside with a glass of wine after they sleep ( or coffee b4 they wake). I think the value 2 br at Ak is the value-est option for you, if u can live with the busses ( or rent a car). ( fam of 4 with our new addition.

sweetdana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:40 PM   #209
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

One Bedroom Villas are great for families of 4 or 5 when the kids are young. But you really need to go into it with the understanding that you will eventually have to upgrade to a Two Bedroom Villa. That means either more points purchased or shorter trips.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:56 PM   #210
staceymay00
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs1228 View Post
Family of 5 bought into DVC once DD's were teens and bought enough points to do a 2 bedroom every year - thats WHY we bought. We like down time and family time in the villa as much as we like park time!
Same with us. We thought we'd book 1BRs for a few years until our kids got older (they are now 8, 11 and almost 13), but then we booked a 2BR for our first trip and have never looked back. We've been to WDW plenty over the past six years, and would now rather have a shorter stay in a 2BR over a longer stay with less space. It has gotten more difficult scheduling a full week at WDW now, anyway, with school/sports schedules, plus wanting to visit other places besides WDW. We would have been fine in a 1BR for the first few years we visited WDW, but we did not buy DVC until after a few years of Disney trips and by that time were ready for more time relaxing in our villa.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
staceymay00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: