Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 10:47 AM   #151
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post

But on a very positive note... It's AWESOME that you got to meet Vicki face-to-face! You are now officially in my "I've meet Diser Vicki Club"!
Brenda, you are too funny! I hope to see all you lovely ladies in December for one big Barb-Brenda-Em-Linda-Rachel-Vicki Diser Club meet! (Forgive me if I forgot anyone!)

I am determined that Andrew and I are going back to Tony's in August. He is less than thrilled. I love the zucchini fries! Neither of us like the red sauce there so we will probably go for lunch when we can get a flatbread or a panini.

And I do love the pistacio creme brulee! I am sorry that your uncooperative family didn't allow you to try it, Barb!

Mom & Son - The Last Time? August 2013 ~ Mom & Son Take on Spring Break - March 2013
Mom & Son Head to Food & Wine - November 2012 ~ Mom & Son - One More Time with Dad! August 23rd - Sept 3rd 2012
Mom and Son Take on the Land! - July 2010 Trip Report
- Mom and Son Going Back -Another 10 days of Deluxe Dining 8/25 - 9/5/2011
Mom and Son Eat the World -11 days of Deluxe Dining ~Mom and Son Eat the World Part 2-With Dad this Time

Offsite 1987, 1988, 1990; Grand Floridian - 1991 (Honeymoon); Port Orleans French Quarter - 1993, 1994; Animal Kingdom Lodge - July 2004 (DS's First Trip); Wilderness Lodge - July 2005; Yacht Club - August 2006; Mom & Son Weekend @ Contemporary Resort - April 2007; Port Orleans Riverside - August 2007; Mom & Son Trip to POP - August 2008; Family trip to POP - December 2009; Disneyland's Paradise Pier Hotel - July 2010; Pop Century - August 2011; AKL/CSR/ASMo - August 2012; Mom & Son Food & Wine Trip to ASMu - November 2012; Mom & Son Trip to Art of Animation - March 2013; Mom & Son Trip to Caribbean Beach - August 2013; Disney Dining Diva Trip at Pop - December 2013
GoofySon'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:58 AM   #152
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Haha Barb. Love the negotiations with your DD. I do the same negotiations with Daniel - but it is usually me trying to persuade him to share an entree with me.

Sorry Tony's was a disappointment but I can't say I'm surprised - it seems rare to see a positive review (in fact, Vicki's is the only one I think I've seen).

A positive end to your meal that you got to meet up with the lovely Vicki though - welcome to the 'I've met Vicki' club
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-29-2013, 02:36 PM   #153
Smiling Cheshire Cat
DIS Veteran

I really wished you could give Tony's a good endorsement. I want to try it again, but no one in my family is on board with this decision.

Rachel
AKL, ASMovies(2), ASMusic(2), ASSports, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Caribbean Beach, Contemporary, Dolphin, French Quarter, Gaylord Palms, Grand Californian, Grand Floridian, Kidani Village, Polynesian, Pop Century(2), Riverside, Wilderness Lodge
Smiling Cheshire Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:27 PM   #154
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofySon'sMom View Post

I am determined that Andrew and I are going back to Tony's in August. He is less than thrilled. I love the zucchini fries! Neither of us like the red sauce there so we will probably go for lunch when we can get a flatbread or a panini.
Ah lunch, now there's an idea - I'm off to check the menu out right now
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:18 PM   #155
rachel09985
DIS Veteran

Bummer Tony's was bad. I have heard their red pasta dishes aren't great. I had pork tenderloin and it was decent.

Dining Review December 2011 Dining Review June 2011 Dining Review December 2010 TR Nov 2012 Dining Review Nov 2012
1998- Dixie Landings 2005- Pop/Saratoga Springs 2008- Pop Century 2009- Pop Century 2010- Pop Century 2011 Pop Century x2! 2012 Art of Animation
rachel09985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:04 PM   #156
jabead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cshel85 View Post
I am enjoying reading along. I don't have a daughter to go to the GVL Tea, my DH and I come in May, maybe I can convince him to go along..doubtful
On our 25th Anniversary trip I talked my DH into doing the tea with me and I think he actually enjoyed it. So don't give up on the idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntfrannie View Post
Too funny! Enjoying the reviews!

Thanks, Fran.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
Mmm

More food from the Lodge

The carrot cake cupcake from there is yummy

I will PM you later with some December ideas but I am thinking I should set up a traditional English tea for all the ladies at GF

The great food that I had WL is one of reasons why I'm thinking of staying there again in December. But then the new Boardwalk Bakery is looking pretty good too.

I'll add a few ideas to your great list and get it back to you soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laracroft72 View Post
I have lurked for awhile in your threads and I am really enjoying your family one. WL is my dream place to stay someday and I love seeing all the on site resturants.

Thanks for reading along and I hope your dream comes true very soon...WL is a great resort!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanne View Post
My DD have been having tea at the GF annually since she was 3 years old. I have to dig up the pictures of her on our first trip there...
But we love it and she requests it every time we're in WDW. We are heading back this August and of course we have tea booked! Your review has made me want to try the scones and I am happy that it is possible to substitute the sandwiches if you don't like one. Thank you!
(Going to look for that picture, now...)

I'll look forward to seeing the pics from your tea in August.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel09985 View Post
I had it but I don't remember it tasting bad. It was my least favorite but it wasn't overpowering fishy smell, haha.

I guess maybe we just got a bad batch then. I'm just happy that it didn't make either of us sick.

Quote:
Ladies tea in December, I have my pinkies manicured and ready for this!!!

My condolences for the Illinois loss but at least your DH has a nice wife who delivered dinner!!

Quote:
Of course being English I have afternoon tea served from fine china every day
I think it sounds like this is the one event that is a must!

I love the idea of having tea with a proper English lady.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecskc View Post
We tried one of those S'mores cupcakes last September, but thought it was just OK. So I am not sure if you were missing anything.

That makes me feel a little better. Thanks Susan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBear View Post
Tea looks like fun, jabead! Dinner for one from Roaring Forks (yum)- what a sweet wife.
Thanks CaliBear! Although I must admit that I had an ulterior motive for offering to get him dinner. I really wanted to get menu pics etc. from Roaring Fork for my dining report. But that's our little secret!

Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread #1 - and - Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread - Take 2

List of DISers with Upcoming Trips - and - Aug./Sept. Game - and - June/July Game

MAY 2012 REVIEW - DD's Graduation Celebration -and- NOV. 2011 REVIEW - Let them eat steak!

MAY 2011 REVIEW - My 50th Birthday -and- NOV. 2010 REVIEW - Our 25th Anniversary

DISNEY TRIPS: Aug. 2000 - BWV, CR, DTD Hilton (First Family Trip), Dec. 2000 -WLV,Dolphin, July 2001 - BC, AKL - CL, BWV, Poly, May 2002 - BWI, GF, AKL-CL, June 2002 - DLR's Grand Californian, March 2003 - Poly, BCV, March 2004 - POR, Dolphin, March 2006 - WL, Dolphin, Nov. 2006 - Poly, Nov. 2007 - YC, Poly, March 2008 - CR, YC, March 2010, Nov. 2010, May 2011 - BWI, Poly, Nov. 2011 - BWI, May 2012 - BWV, March 2013 - WL, Swan
jabead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:06 PM   #157
jabead
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I loved our meal so perhaps my problem is that I overlook flavor for an attractive waiter... I must have been distracted!

I know it is noisy inside but honestly I don't remember it being that bad. Again, perhaps the distraction of our waiter!

Ahh yes, if our waiter at Tony's had looked like our waiter at Via Napoli then maybe that cannelloni would have tasted a little less bland.

Quote:
So we are torn between a lunch ressie at Liberty Tree Tavern or Tony's Town Square and I think you may have just swayed me towards LTT

That said, if the waiter looks anything like Brenda is hinting at, that could still change

I definitely recommend that you go to LTT for lunch and head to Via Napoli for the eye candy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovegrumpy View Post
I wanna try Tonys but so many people say it is wroth it. My hubby is Italian so I think it well probably never be on the list.
If your husband is used to good Italian food then I'm guessing he would not like the food at Tony's.

Quote:
Brenda, you are too funny! I hope to see all you lovely ladies in December for one big Barb-Brenda-Em-Linda-Rachel-Vicki Diser Club meet! (Forgive me if I forgot anyone!)

And I do love the pistacio creme brulee! I am sorry that your uncooperative family didn't allow you to try it, Barb!

If I ever do return to Tony's then maybe lunch would be the way to go! And I will definitely be getting the creme brulee next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
Haha Barb. Love the negotiations with your DD. I do the same negotiations with Daniel - but it is usually me trying to persuade him to share an entree with me.

Sorry Tony's was a disappointment but I can't say I'm surprised - it seems rare to see a positive review (in fact, Vicki's is the only one I think I've seen).

A positive end to your meal that you got to meet up with the lovely Vicki though - welcome to the 'I've met Vicki' club
I am very happy to be a member. I just wish you could attend the club meeting in December.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Cheshire Cat View Post
I really wished you could give Tony's a good endorsement. I want to try it again, but no one in my family is on board with this decision.

Sorry Rachel, but if you should convince your family then maybe you could follow Vicki's idea of going there for lunch and trying something other than the pasta dishes with marinara sauce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel09985 View Post
Bummer Tony's was bad. I have heard their red pasta dishes aren't great. I had pork tenderloin and it was decent.

Tony's was definitely one of the lowlights of our trip, but things will soon be looking up.

Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread #1 - and - Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread - Take 2

List of DISers with Upcoming Trips - and - Aug./Sept. Game - and - June/July Game

MAY 2012 REVIEW - DD's Graduation Celebration -and- NOV. 2011 REVIEW - Let them eat steak!

MAY 2011 REVIEW - My 50th Birthday -and- NOV. 2010 REVIEW - Our 25th Anniversary

DISNEY TRIPS: Aug. 2000 - BWV, CR, DTD Hilton (First Family Trip), Dec. 2000 -WLV,Dolphin, July 2001 - BC, AKL - CL, BWV, Poly, May 2002 - BWI, GF, AKL-CL, June 2002 - DLR's Grand Californian, March 2003 - Poly, BCV, March 2004 - POR, Dolphin, March 2006 - WL, Dolphin, Nov. 2006 - Poly, Nov. 2007 - YC, Poly, March 2008 - CR, YC, March 2010, Nov. 2010, May 2011 - BWI, Poly, Nov. 2011 - BWI, May 2012 - BWV, March 2013 - WL, Swan
Old 04-30-2013, 10:25 AM   #158
jabead
DIS Veteran

I'm going to now pose a riddle to all of you before posting my next review of our breakfast at Kona Cafe. Here it is:

What does Kona Cafe (my current favorite Disney restaurant for breakfast) and California Grill (my current favorite Signature restaurant) have in common?

(and the answer is not that they are both my favorites in their respective categories, that's way too easy. )

Mucho bonus points for anyone that somehow comes up with this one?

Last edited by jabead; 05-01-2013 at 10:50 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:19 PM   #160
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Sushi
That was my first thought too.

I know Cali is being refurb'd but haven't heard anything like that for Kona.

Hmmmm.....

Mom & Son - The Last Time? August 2013 ~ Mom & Son Take on Spring Break - March 2013
Mom & Son Head to Food & Wine - November 2012 ~ Mom & Son - One More Time with Dad! August 23rd - Sept 3rd 2012
Mom and Son Take on the Land! - July 2010 Trip Report
- Mom and Son Going Back -Another 10 days of Deluxe Dining 8/25 - 9/5/2011
Mom and Son Eat the World -11 days of Deluxe Dining ~Mom and Son Eat the World Part 2-With Dad this Time

Offsite 1987, 1988, 1990; Grand Floridian - 1991 (Honeymoon); Port Orleans French Quarter - 1993, 1994; Animal Kingdom Lodge - July 2004 (DS's First Trip); Wilderness Lodge - July 2005; Yacht Club - August 2006; Mom & Son Weekend @ Contemporary Resort - April 2007; Port Orleans Riverside - August 2007; Mom & Son Trip to POP - August 2008; Family trip to POP - December 2009; Disneyland's Paradise Pier Hotel - July 2010; Pop Century - August 2011; AKL/CSR/ASMo - August 2012; Mom & Son Food & Wine Trip to ASMu - November 2012; Mom & Son Trip to Art of Animation - March 2013; Mom & Son Trip to Caribbean Beach - August 2013; Disney Dining Diva Trip at Pop - December 2013
GoofySon'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:19 PM   #161
Smiling Cheshire Cat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabead View Post
What does Kona Cafe (my current favorite Disney restaurant for breakfast) and California Grill (my current favorite Signature restaurant) have in common?
That one is a puzzler, Barb. Maybe they opened the same year?

Rachel
AKL, ASMovies(2), ASMusic(2), ASSports, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Caribbean Beach, Contemporary, Dolphin, French Quarter, Gaylord Palms, Grand Californian, Grand Floridian, Kidani Village, Polynesian, Pop Century(2), Riverside, Wilderness Lodge
Smiling Cheshire Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:35 PM   #162
bluechic03
DIS Veteran

I am here and all caught up! We just got back on Saturday and I started my own DR and am reading lots of reports to try and block out the Post Disney Depression I grew up near Chicago and went to U of I in Champaign, where is Lexington???

An April Dining Report!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post48266800
bluechic03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:27 AM   #163
jabead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Sushi
Quote:
That was my first thought too.

I know Cali is being refurb'd but haven't heard anything like that for Kona.

Hmmmm.....

Sushi is a good guess...but one I had not even thought of.

And I too have not heard of any plans for a refurb at Kona. Although it could probably use one, so I'd be ok with that...as long as it is open in December!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Cheshire Cat View Post
That one is a puzzler, Barb. Maybe they opened the same year?
Hmm...I have no idea on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechic03 View Post
I am here and all caught up! We just got back on Saturday and I started my own DR and am reading lots of reports to try and block out the Post Disney Depression I grew up near Chicago and went to U of I in Champaign, where is Lexington???

Thanks for reading, bluechic!

My DH and oldest DD are grads of U of I, so I'm quite familiar with the Champaign-Urbana area. Lexington is right off of Interstate 55 (and Route 66), about 11 miles or so north of Bloomington-Normal or about an hour's drive northwest of Champaign.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:34 AM   #164
jabead
DIS Veteran

For those of you who have read my previous dining reports, you know that when I'm at Disney World I love to have breakfast at TS restaurants. I mean, what can be better than starting your day with a big breakfast filled with the three "c's"... carbs, calories, and coffee (from a cup not made of paper or plastic)??? Unfortunately the rest of my family would answer this question with one word..."SLEEP" !!! Consequently I was allowed to schedule only one TS breakfast during our week at Disney World. So with being limited to just one, I of course chose my favorite, Kona Cafe.

But before our Kona review, let me begin this installment a bit earlier that morning, prior to our breakfast. The previous day's rainstorm had brought with it a change in the weather. The Orlando weather had been very warm prior to this and had originally been forecasted to be warm during this week as well. Knowing that the weather forecasters are never wrong , we had packed for warm weather. I, myself, had brought only two pairs of jeans and one of those I had worn during our 18 hour drive. So just as we were all in our room getting ready and whining about the day's predicted high temperature of only 69 (instead of in the 80's), I received this text from our neighbor back home.

"Sooo... How's Florida?"

So as luck would have it, we had missed the biggest snowstorm of the year!!! Needless to say, our complaining about the cooler than expected Orlando weather abruptly came to an end. And so with our sweaters/sweatshirts on, we very happily drove our (snow-free) van on the (snow-free) road over to the Polynesian resort for our breakfast at...

The Menu...

Once seated, our waitress soon approached the table to take our drink orders and I immediately had one of those "deja vu" moments. She looked very familiar and yet I was fairly certain that it was not at Kona Cafe that I had seen her before. But my thoughts were quickly diverted by other things, like Kona coffee...

100% Kona Coffee French Press Pot
(shared by DD and me)
Our Rating - 4/5

And then to meet my other two breakfast requirements of carbs and calories...

Macadamia-Pineapple Pancakes with macadamia nut butter, pineapple sauce and your choice of ham, bacon or sausage

Ahhh... Macadamia-Pineapple Pancakes. How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.

If only I were a more clever woman, I would write my own beautiful love sonnet for these wonderful pancakes.
But I'm not, so will just have to make do with this simple haiku...

A taste of heaven:
Delicious nut-filled pancakes
Topped with pineapple.

One common complaint regarding these pancakes is that it is almost humanly impossible to finish them. I have only known of one person who has somehow accomplished this feat. (Here is the LINK to the Kona breakfast update which Paula sent for the Live Thread.)

Now I'm not sure if Paula was force-fed by her DH or whether she is in fact a superhuman, but either away my attempt to match her accomplishment fell short...

But before you pat me on the back for almost cleaning my plate, I must confess that my DH had more than a few bites of my pancakes. Speaking of which, have you noticed a pattern in my DH's eating on this trip? You may recall that, in an attempt to not gain any weight on this trip, he and my DD made a deal to share one entree during all of our meals. That plan may have been successful if he hadn't also then eaten a good portion of my meal as well. Let's see, there was my salmon at Artist Point, my Colony salad at Liberty Tree, and now my Kona pancakes. Just sayin'.

So what did my DH and DD choose for their shared entree?...

Ham and Cheese Omelet (with red peppers added), served with home-fried potatoes and toast
Their Rating - 3/5

They wanted me to be sure to note that the addition of the peppers made the difference between a rating of 2 and 3.

Kind of a boring choice though, if you ask me. Especially when Kona has much more unique offerings like my beloved pancakes or my DS's choice...

Tonga Toast - banana stuffed sourdough bread, rolled in cinnamon sugar and served with Strawberry Compote and your choice of ham, bacon, or sausage
His Rating - 4/5

Other than rating it a 4, DS didn't say too much about his Tonga Toast. However, this is what he ordered the last time he was here for breakfast, so the fact that he ordered it again seems to indicate that he is a fan.

Now to answer the question, "What does Kona Cafe and California Grill have in common?"

For those of you who have dined at Kona Cafe, you know that Kona can be a very loud restaurant. So of course, DH couldn't resist the urge to make a snide remark regarding the noise. And despite the fact that I gave him a pretty good kick underneath the table , DS proceeded to tell his father about the app that he now had on his phone. So what was the noise level of Kona Cafe during their peak breakfast hours? Almost 80 dB. Not as bad as Tony's the night before, but high enough to prove my DH's point and give him a reason to gloat. And not just to us, but also to our waitress. When he told her about the iPhone app and the measurement that we had taken, she laughed and said that she was used to the noise because she usually worked at (the currently closed for renovations) California Grill. It was then that the "penny finally dropped" and a quick glance at her name tag confirmed...it was Dawn, our absolutely wonderful server that my DH and I had when we dined at California Grill during our 25th Anniversary trip.

So my answer to the question which I posed..."They both have the good fortune to employ Dawn, one of our best servers ever!"

And so I had the good fortune of having a little "taste" of my favorite California Grill along with my much-loved Kona pancakes that morning...and I didn't have to shovel any snow to get there. Life is good!!!

Next up: Eating around the World

Last edited by jabead; 05-02-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:16 PM   #165
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Great Kona update Barb

So funny that DH decided to split entrees with DD to eat less and then ended up tucking into your meals!

Did you know that for the holidays last year, Kona were offering pumpkin pancakes? ..... Mmm, think that makes it a December must do!
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: