Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 06:48 PM   #31
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarabeth10772 View Post
We just got off the Dream 4 weeks ago. We are Silver members and I selected the 12:00 arrival time. We got to the Port and checked in around 12:45-1:00. We were given the number 27 which had been called earlier so we got on the ship right away. Not sure if it was that we had selected 12:00 arrival time or that we are Silver members, or that we stayed at a Disney Resort and arrived via Disney bus.

My in-laws are Gold members and they had selected an arrival time of 2:30. They arrived with us and were on the ship before us.

My brother and sister in-law had never been on DCL and their travel agent selected an arrival time of 2:30. However, they stayed at a hotel close to the Port so they arrived at 12:00. They were given a number and they got on before we did which was close to 1:00. They were nervous they wouldn't get on until their selected arrival time.

Once a certain number is reached in the boarding process, open boarding is called. This has been said to happen around 12:30 -- which would explain why someone with a later PAT and corresponding higher boarding number would have boarded before you arrived. There were many people waiting for their number to be called when we boarded our 3/23/13 cruise around 12 and they were still calling out boarding numbers individually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Cinder" Ella's Mom View Post
If you take Disney transfers your port arrival time will not matter. No, they won't make you wait. However, pick ups from Disney resorts are not super early (you will not get to port by 11:00). Are you getting DCL transport from a resort or returning to MCO to catch the bus?
As noted previously on this thread, as well as the example in the trip report linked, even if you take DCL transfers from MCO you do need to select a PAT now. You will be allowed to enter the terminal and check in if you use the transfers; however, if you end up with a later PAT and higher boarding number. This means that you will wait inside the terminal for your number to be called.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August
Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:52 PM   #32
Scoundrellv
Earning My Ears

how long does it take to park the car and drop off luggage?

My family is convinced there will be a line of cs waiting to get in that will take us forever to drop off luggage and check in. about how long does ittake to park the car. drop off family with the luggage. once the port opensis there really a line?
Scoundrellv is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-29-2013, 02:01 PM   #33
jlowejd5
DIS Veteran

A friend of mine is going here in a week or so and apparently forgot to finalize his online check-in, so he just finished it today, and it gave him a PAT of 3:00.

He has no plans on arriving at 11am and trying to be the first guy on the ship, but he's driving and was planning on arriving between 1:30 and 2:00. I've not arrived that late (and always on DCL transfers) so I have no real-world experience to share.

Realistically, does DCL continue to enforce those times that late in the day?
DL: GCal - Oct '08
DVC: Aulani - Feb '12, Fairmont (San Francisco) - Nov '09. Beach Palace (Cancun) - Apr '09.
UO: Portofino Bay - Oct '11, Royal Pacific - Feb '09
Cruises: Sapphire Princess Hawaii 14-day - March '11, HAL Oosterdam 7-day Alaska - Aug '10
Dance, banana, dance!!
jlowejd5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:09 PM   #34
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

I don't think they enforce anything, as long as you aren't cutting lines of people before you. (like early wait times.)

Due to taking a rental car back to the airport in an unorganized fashion (mix up on which terminals due to lack of communication) and due to crappy (as usual) IHOP service, we actually didn't get to check in until about 2:30-3. Our on board was supposed to be about 1:30, and that didn't matter either.

There were NO lines, no waits, it took us less than 20 min to be signed in and on the ship. I would have liked to have been on about noon or 1, but I can't control my whole party. In any case, after we got on our parking shuttle, it was literally the easiest, quickest, most relaxed embarkation I can ever remember.

Anyway I'd be amazed if your friend had a hard time getting on board before then, as I seriously doubt their will be many lines of people left. Can't say for sure though, because no one was there at 2:30.
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:11 PM   #35
Spencerfamily
Mouseketeer

Rental cars

Not sure if I'm clearer or more confused but as we're not going till December I won't panic yet!! First timer question though about rental cars:
We've booked through a UK TA and as part of our package we get a hire car that we are to drop off at Alamo and then pick up again when we disembark. We've never been to PC and our TA has no idea either! How close is the drop off to the port, how long do shuttles take etc? Any advice- should I get DH to drop DD(4) and me off first or are the shuttles much better than the ones over here?!
We'll have stayed at the Hyatt at MCO the night before and will be basically getting up (with jet lag) and driving to PC with a detour at a store for some essentials I don't want to have to include in my weight limit for the flight!!
Any advice appreciated!
Jill
Spencerfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:24 PM   #36
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlowejd5 View Post
A friend of mine is going here in a week or so and apparently forgot to finalize his online check-in, so he just finished it today, and it gave him a PAT of 3:00.

He has no plans on arriving at 11am and trying to be the first guy on the ship, but he's driving and was planning on arriving between 1:30 and 2:00. I've not arrived that late (and always on DCL transfers) so I have no real-world experience to share.

Realistically, does DCL continue to enforce those times that late in the day?
Your friend will receive the same boarding # no matter what time he shows up BUT open boarding starts around 1:00 (ish) so arriving between 1:30-2:00 should be no problem.

tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:14 PM   #37
E ticket rider
Ferb's Best Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by loricfam View Post
We're first time cruisers and will be doing on line registration in May. We will be flying in the night before and will be using the DCL transfer bus and getting to the port early (probably 11am). What happens if when I do my on line registration all the early port arrival times are taken and I have to choose 2:00 or something? Will they still let my family into the port? Will we just have to sit and wait 3 hours to check in and board? I'm a little nervous!
They will let you into the terminal when you arrive. However, your boarding group is tied to your PAT. You can check in the as soon as you arrive at the port. They will give you your boarding group assignment at that time.

You can also look into upgrading your cabin at this time. Upgrades are done on a first come, first served basis and aren't always available. They are usually deeply discounted over what you would have paid if you changed your reservation in advance. You might find a concierge room upgrade at a price you like. That would change your boarding group number to 1 or 2.

You can finalize registration for your kids with the youth staff and get their Mickey Bands, but from that point on you will have to wait for your boarding group to be called. DCL has Mickey and Minnie rotate through the terminal for pictures and there is a large cut-away model of the Magic in the middle of the terminal, but there's not much else to do but wait. There are also TVs showing Disney cartoons in the waiting area (like at WDW hotels).

"The only thing predictable about life is its unpredictability" - Remy
E ticket rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:21 PM   #38
"Cinder" Ella's Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweis View Post
Quote:
If you take Disney transfers your port arrival time will not matter. No, they won't make you wait. However, pick ups from Disney resorts are not super early (you will not get to port by 11:00). Are you getting DCL transport from a resort or returning to MCO to catch the bus?
From reading posts from the prior page, this is no longer the case with transfers from MCO. Apparently, they will let you in the terminal but your boarding number depends on what PAT you selected.
Oops! Sorry for the bad info. This is fairly new, huh?
"Cinder" Ella's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:35 PM   #39
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Oops! Sorry for the bad info. This is fairly new, huh?
I think it started about last Oct/Nov.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:48 PM   #40
PWammy
Mouseketeer

The photo package with the CD (all pics taken on your stateroom) was 280; without the prints it's $230. Single prints are like $20 for the large and I think $13 for the smaller ones. I went for the big package because my sister surprised us with an onboard credit, but probably wouldn't again.

As for the boarding system, it didn't make much sense to me either (this was my first Disney cruise); we had a 1-:30 boarding time, our hotel shuttle got us there at 12:15 and there was no line, we sailed right through, they were already calling higher numbers than what we had been assigned. The line wold swell and shrink so that wasn't a big deal, the Youth activities line was short too, so we took care of that in the port also. The longest line was taking pics and I would have skipped it, but my 4 year old saw Minnie and that was that, so we waited.

Last edited by PWammy; 04-29-2013 at 07:00 PM.
PWammy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: