Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 12:28 PM   #31
BlueStarryHat

Just picture everyone sitting at the computer in their underwear

My mother was a housekeeper (or chambermaid) in the Summer when we spent our Summers in Wildwood, New Jersey. It was the norm there for people to leave the tip upon checkout, and this was what we always do at WDW. I usually leave $5 for each day.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:32 PM   #32
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

I do, usually just a couple of bucks per day, more if I ask for something specific.

You couldn't pay me enough to clean up after someone so I really APPRECIATE those that do it.

Giving them 2 bucks to show my appreciation makes me feel good and hopefully makes them feel good as well.

I tip at ALL hotels except when I ask for maid service to skip me and I have done this at WDW as well as other places.

WDW maids are allowed to be tipped. It is considered a non-tip required, but not a tip excluded (concierge, dvc, greeters are not allowed to accept cash tips).

I think it is a personal choice. I know what I am comfortable with and in the end that's all anyone can do.

Last edited by bookgirl; 04-29-2013 at 12:40 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-29-2013, 12:34 PM   #33
Dis703
DIS Veteran

As I understand it even Disney says housekeeping is not a tipped position so I don't think anyone is really wrong here. If you have it and want to do it, go ahead but I don't think you can compare housekeeping to waiting tables as they don't require tips to survive. Servers around here make $2.13 an hour, well below minimum wage so tips are their salary.

I read an article not long ago about tipping housekeeping in the US and they did a poll and found it split straight down the middle just about 50/50 of those who do and don't. Not sure if it's regional or what.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:39 PM   #34
Cappy81
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyThomas View Post
I have to admit that I'm shocked that so many people have never heard of the concept of tipping housekeeping.

I was thinking the same thing.

3/12 Poly, 9/12 AKL, 9/13 WL, 9/14 AKL
Old 04-29-2013, 12:42 PM   #35
Skatermom23
DIS Veteran

I do not tip housekeeping, but we leave a very clean room. All they do is make the bed and leave clean towels. We just returned from a 6 night stay and I never tipped and I got towel animals 3 out of the 6 days.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:43 PM   #36
msjprincess
DIS Veteran

I've always tipped housekeepers as did my parents when I was growing up. I usually leave $5 per day. I used to leave it on the last day but now I leave $5 each day. Once in awhile I won't have change so I'll skip a day and leave $10 the next day.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:20 PM   #37
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

We usually tip a 1.00 per person, per day. If we are particularly messy, I'll add another 1.00 or two.

I do this at every hotel, not just Disney ones. My niece worked in housekeeping at a motel for a couple of years and I got in the habit of doing it after hearing her stories of everything she dealt with and how poor the pay was.

Connie

Doing a quick weekend trip to see the Osborne Lights in December - staying offsite this time.

WDW: 16 family trips, 9 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR (2), WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (6) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
Old 04-29-2013, 01:22 PM   #38
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

The problem with leaving the tip at the end is that the last housekeeper who does the room up for the NEXT person is getting the big huge tip. Now if that's the same person that has done YOUR room the whole stay, that's great, but if it isn't, then it's a real bummer for the person or people who worked for you during the stay.

Really there's no way to ever thank the housekeeper for the job they did on your room, because you never know who it is (unless you are in the room as it is happening). You're leaving a tip out in hopes that the person who gets it WILL do a nice job.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old 04-29-2013, 01:50 PM   #39
iheartjuppy
Mouseketeer

For those that mentioned turndown, you tip $5 for the day and an additional $2/day for the turndown service? We are off to our first booked CL stay so I'm new to turndown but had never tipped for it (separately from my regular housekeeping tip).
Old 04-29-2013, 01:59 PM   #40
noahdove
DIS Veteran

I tip $ 1.00 per person per day..I make envelopes at home and I personalize them with a picture of our area on the envelope I use to use tip envelopes from the Disign board but, now, I make mine from our beautiful area of the Finger Lakes...

Old 04-29-2013, 02:03 PM   #41
TheShea's
Mouseketeer

$10/day, every day. I don't save it up until the end of the trip. I wouldn't want someone to miss out on a tip for their hard work becuase their schedule changed or they were out sick.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:03 PM   #42
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
Here is another thread on tipping. Post #6 has some interesting info.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3102209

Bill
Yep...that's a good post, full of good info.

Disney does not consider it's housekeeping dept to be a tipped position. They do not expect their housekeepers to be tipped. Housekeepers are not poorly paid at WDW. In fact, they are actually paid more than my 34 y/o dd was when she was a preschool/daycare teacher!!

You will actually find some housekeepers who will not take the tip. I have, upon getting really excellent care, left a tip. That tip sat there for the entire stay!! I asked the housekeeper about it..she was appalled. Said she didn't accept tips for doing her job the best way she knew how. I did go to the front desk and let them know about this special CM!!

When someone comes in, empties the trash, and replaces towels and toiletries, I don't see the need to pay them extra. They are in my room for, maybe, 8 mins. If that housekeeper has, let's say, 10 rooms to do each day (but it's most likely a lot more obviously). If each room had a $5 tip in it, each day, that would mean that housekeeper is getting $50 a day in just tips. Times 5? $250 a week just in tips!! Add that to the, average, $11 an hour they get??? (could be less but is also likely to be more depending on how long they've been there). That's $440!! Now, we have $440 plus tips. I know where I want to work when I retire to Orlando and work for WDW!!!

Yes, some of these housekeepers work very hard. Others? Not so much. I have come into a room being readied for me (DVC and had been told the room was now ready), only to find a housekeeper sitting on the couch, watching TV, with her mop next to her, on the floor!!! There was trash on the master floor, behind a table in the living room and the toilet didn't flush!!! And you know what she told us??? She was hanging out there for a bit until her shift finished!!! I have returned to my 'regular' resort room at 3pm only to find it not made up yet!! I watched, from a distance, as the housekeeper finally got to our room, spent about 20 mins in there. Now.....the beds had already been made, there was nothing to clean. We had left our towels hanging up since we don't mind reusing them (trying to be green!!), and the vanity is always swiped down in the morning!!! So, what the heck was she doing in there for 20 mins?? When I got to the room, I certainly couldn't figure it out either. The vanity hadn't been touched...the swipe marks I had left behind were still there. There were new towels hanging up, even though we hadn't wanted them, and there were no new soaps and shampoo left, even though we had used what had been originally left! Go figure.

Yes, there are some wonderful housekeepers out there at WDW. They are not all as I described above. I have had great service there...mostly all the time in fact. I would much rather have something nice and complimentary put into a housekeepers employment file...much longer lasting than the few dollars I might leave each day!!

Oh, and towel animals are not dependent on tipping. I have tipped and had no TAs. I haven't tipped and had many TAs. It's pretty much the luck of the draw..

Please, don't misunderstand me....I think there are times when housekeepers have to deal with some really nasty stuff. I have seen some rooms look like cavemen have stayed there...with cows and sheep, and had huge parties, with no cleanup. I can't imagine what these CMs go through. But I'll be darned if I pay the price for some animals. I leave my room nice and tidy.
If you want to tip, go right ahead. I'm sure your housekeeper will love it. I just want to be sure everyone realizes what Disney will tell you if you ask. They do not consider housekeeping to be a tipped position. Bell Services? Yes. Valet? Yes. Tour guides? Yes. Servers? Yes.
If you feel better when tipping, that's fine.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:48 PM   #43
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

I usually tip at least a dollar per person per day. And I leave it every day, as I understand your housekeeper may not be the same person your whole stay.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:33 PM   #44
GoldieLocks5
Mouseketeer

We always tip - each morning before leaving.... usually $5/day, sometimes less if we don't have more on us - this time i'm prepping envelopes so I have it all ready before we even get there- so we dont' have to think about it each morning.

[/url]
Mom to 1+Twins, all boys
Planning our 3rd Disney trip! 1st was March-April 2012, Suite @ ASMu. 2nd was May 5-11 at Beach Club, and 3rd will be early May, Beach Club again!
Old 04-29-2013, 05:04 PM   #45
shelbyf31
Mouseketeer

I tip $5 a day. I label envelopes and the kids put Disney stickers on them. I put the money in them before we leave. Then every morning I leave one envelope where they will be able to find it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: