Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 01:33 PM   #16
Mama Who
DIS Veteran

I've never done a full solo trip but my guys like to sleep in so I frequently do several hours on my own. I enjoy it.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:53 PM   #17
lovebug33
DIS Veteran

I did MK and DHS solo at WDW. The bad side was eating. I really didn't like eating by myself. Other than that, I had a blast. I didn't want to ride a bunch of rides, because that would make me miss DH (I was on a work trip and nobody wanted to go to the parks!). I did all sorts of fun things I wouldn't have done with my ride crazed DH. I watched parades and even got to dance in one. I had long convos with characters. I sang Take me out to the ball game in front of a store. I sat on a porch and watched a family have a mental breakdown over peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I really enjoyed it because I got to hang out and do what I wanted and enjoy the sites of the park!
lovebug33 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-29-2013, 01:57 PM   #18
anonymousegirl
DIS Veteran

I love my solo trips! If I could I would be at DLR every 6 weeks! My DH or my friends, every 6 months is too soon.

I love the single rider lines and I love doing exactly what I want when I want. I lvoe eating when and where I want. I chat with people in line and CMs to pass the time and I trade pins. I like doing rope drop and then taking a break later in the day, if my hotel is close enough.
1973 Disneyland Hotel;1985 WDW Grosvenor; 1988 same;1994 off-site; 1997 off-site; July 2008 POR; December 2008 Pop Century; January 2009 Contemporary, BCV; March 2009 Pop Century; May 2009 Grand California at DLR; September 2009 SSR; December 2009 Pop; May 2010 DL off site; July 2010 Disneyland Hotel; October 2010 Disneyland Hotel; January 2011 Saratoga Springs;May 2011 Disneyland off-site; October 2011 AKV Kidani; DLR OMDD Leap Day 2012; June 2012 BCV/Vero Beach; September 2012 All Star Sports; December 2012 Grand Floridian; DLR off site February 2013;DLR off site for Long Lost Friends week April 2013;DLR Paradise Pier Hotel July 2013; DLR off site November 2013;Aulani DVC January 2014; WDW OKW May 2014; WDW SSR VILLIANS UNLEASHED! Aug 2104;WDW October 2014; CBR/DCL December 2014
anonymousegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:49 PM   #19
Skippydoo
Earning My Ears

On another board I have read some inspiring trip reports from someone who got an annual pass and made several trips to Disneyland on her own.

I frequently travel on my own for business and I can say that meal time is probably the only time I really feel alone. So I usually read (kindle app on my iphone is wonderful), people watch, or if I want some down time I get dinner to go and take it to the hotel and veg. The rest of the time there's almost always something to do.

DLR: 5/2014, 4/2014, 10/2013(Desert Inn and Suites), 1989, 1979
WDW: 2012 (Contemporary), 2010 (Caribbean Beach) , 2007 (Animal Kingdom), 2001 (Beach Club)
Skippydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:28 PM   #20
Congo Queen
DLand Devotee Since 1966

In 45+ years of visiting, I have never visited Dland alone. Though I love sharing Dland with my family, it is one of my secret fantasies to visit solo. Someday I will do it. I think it would be so awesome to do exactly every single thing you wanted to do (when you wanted to do it) with no need to compromise.
Congo Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:38 PM   #21
PixieDustD
Mouseketeer

I just took a trip alone last October. It was great! I did exactly what I wanted to do. During my two day stay I did not go on a ride!!! I got to take my time going to shows my family never wants to see (Voices of Liberty), took my time at the Disney Gallery and the shops along Main Street, watched the flag retreat in the afternoon, saw the parade. Had a marvelous lengthy lunch at Cafe Orleans. Took a leisurely walk through DCA, and explored Carsland. Had tons of fun pin trading with cast members. Sitting on a bench with popcorn or a dole whip and people watching is so much fun. Enjoyed seeing the families together, didn't feel the love for the groups of Tweens.
It was so RELAXING, very different than my previous visits with family and friends.

Enjoy you time at the parks!

PixieDustD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:48 PM   #22
lalasmama
DIS Veteran

LOVE LOVE LOVE doing DL solo trips! I get to do what I want, when I want... so DD's not there begging to ride on Ariel for the 90th time.... and SO's not asking for the 97th ride on Indiana Jones... and I can eat *another* dole whip if I really want to, and no one knows

I didn't feel nearly as "alone" as I thought I would. As others have mentioned, talking with CMs and chatting with the people around you can really stifle the feelings of being alone.

I did 3 days last May, and will be doing 3 days again this winter. It's the perfect amount of time for me.... Since I do single-rider lines when I'm alone, I can get a ton of rides in just a little bit of time, and then spend some time people-watching too!
Next trip: Solo in February 2015, Family in May 2015!
lalasmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:40 PM   #23
nocomment711
Ces Soirees-La

I'm doing my first solo trip ever in about a month. I'm nervous, but I think DL is a good place to go alone, because you're never truly... "Alone" at least in the parks.

Subbing to get all the tips and tricks!
nocomment711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:31 PM   #24
KittyKat1978
DIS Veteran

I have been to DL solo 4 times from 4-5 days each time.

All of these 4 trips have been from Feb 2012-Feb 2013 (yes, I had an AP).

I have stayed at Best Western Park Place Inn, Howard Johnson, Paradise Pier and the Disneyland Hotel (my mom's fault as she wanted to stay there on our Dec trip).

I went in Feb 2012 after going to WDW in Sept 2011 with a friend (now former) as I was disappointed with our trip.

I am totally addicted!! I am going to WDW in 4 days for another solo trip (did my first solo WDW trip last Sept). And will most likely be hitting either WDW or DL for "Christmas Time" again. Trying to convince my mom to come with me

You will have a blast. I am not the most outgoing person, and being alone doesn't bother me that much. But with that being said, I met lots of people especially waiting in lines for rides or a dole whip.

I never felt scared or nervous. You will be around people almost all of the time. Even walking to and from your hotel.

DL - Hojo's Mar 86/ PPH Feb 12/ Hojo's May 12/ BWPPI Oct 12/ DLH Dec 12/ DLH Feb 13/ FFI Oct 14/ CI Dec 14

DCL - Sept 13 Wonder to Alaska

KittyKat1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:18 PM   #25
Matchboxjen
Earning My Ears

You are all awesome! Thanks so much for the replies! I'm feeling more comfortable now with my decision to go solo and am really looking forward to it. I'm a little worried I will feel a little sadness being there because my 3 previous trips to Disney were all with my former best friend. But what can ya do? I'm willing to give it a try.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:24 PM   #26
Matchboxjen
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippydoo View Post
I frequently travel on my own for business and I can say that meal time is probably the only time I really feel alone. So I usually read (kindle app on my iphone is wonderful), people watch, or if I want some down time I get dinner to go and take it to the hotel and veg. The rest of the time there's almost always something to do.
Yeah I think eating alone will be the toughest for me too, but I like the idea of maybe taking a break and eating at the hotel. Thanks for the reply!
Old 04-29-2013, 10:11 PM   #27
CamoMama
DIS Veteran

I loved my solo trip, and I have to say, I was rarely alone. A link to my solo trip report is in my sig if you want to check it out.

Feb/Mar 2014 - DLR Diva Trip - GCH
Feb/Mar 2013 - DLR Diva Trip - HoJo's
July 2012 - DLR - Anaheim Carriage Inn (never again)
May 2012 - DLR - Motel 6 ~ Read my solo trip report here!
February 2012 - CBR
July 2010 - DLR - Embassy Suites
1978-1990 - DLR - multiple trips, all offsite
CamoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:59 PM   #28
Matchboxjen
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoMama View Post
I loved my solo trip, and I have to say, I was rarely alone. A link to my solo trip report is in my sig if you want to check it out.
Thanks, I will!
Old 04-29-2013, 11:08 PM   #29
Disney_Alli
DIS Veteran

I went solo for my birthday two years ago. I met up with another DISer there solo for her birthday and we had a character breakfast together. I had so much fun! It was so nice to do everything at my own pace. I don't know how to post a link but I also wrote a trip report about my solo birthday trip if you'd like to check it out.

Lots of Pixie Dust
Disney_Alli

Disney_Alli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:43 PM   #30
keahgirl8
DIS Veteran

I have done WDW and DL solo, and let me just tell you...it is awesome! Eat when you want, ride when and what you want, sleep when you want, wander when you want. One night, I just sat on Main Street, ate popcorn, and people-watched. You will really enjoy it, in my opinion.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: