Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 10:40 AM   #2356
Johnnyry129
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitch425 View Post

In order to take advantage of free dining, you must pay full price for your room and purchase a minimum 2 day base ticket for everyone on the reservation ages 3 and up. You would have to do the math to see if it is better for you to do the military discount and purchase the dining plan or do the FD package.
The WDW agent on the phone told me as a military personnel I can utilize the dining plan without any park tickets at all. It is different for military, as the tickets are purchased at bases or at the gate and every ticket needs to be actived with the military man/woman present. But I am guessing the first part is true....no other applicable discounts with the free meal plan.
Johnnyry129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:42 AM   #2357
TheDisney411
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyry129 View Post

The WDW agent on the phone told me as a military personnel I can utilize the dining plan without any park tickets at all. It is different for military, as the tickets are purchased at bases or at the gate and every ticket needs to be actived with the military man/woman present. But I am guessing the first part is true....no other applicable discounts with the free meal plan.
She was talking about the guidelines for a free dining discount and why you can't get a FD discount with those military tickets.
TheDisney411 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-29-2013, 10:47 AM   #2358
Scootchu
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by "meaningless", but if you have just booked a room only reservation, then that reservation would have to be canceled and rebooked as a package to take advantage of a free dining deal. It will be 2-3 months before the November deals come out. Good luck!
I read somewhere that if you book the room and you want to take advantage of the FD package that you may have to rebook and perhaps change your resort. And the answer to your question is "yes" we just have a room reservation right now knowing we would have to re-book (over the phone) the whole thing as a package. We just wanted to lock in a room that could accommodate 5 and not wait.

So what I am asking is: Should we just sit on our reservation and wait for the dates to hopefully be announced? Cancel and wait? Re-book with the whole package (passes, dining) and then cross our fingers? We also have to roll the dice with our airfare. We always have. We fly Spirit and watch every promo they offer. The advantage is the airport they fly into is 10mins away. It's a lot to juggle and would just like to make it a bit easier to manage and keep track of.
So what do you do if you are shooting for a FD vacation?
Scootchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:55 AM   #2359
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootchu View Post
I read somewhere that if you book the room and you want to take advantage of the FD package that you may have to rebook and perhaps change your resort. And the answer to your question is "yes" we just have a room reservation right now knowing we would have to re-book (over the phone) the whole thing as a package. We just wanted to lock in a room that could accommodate 5 and not wait.

So what I am asking is: Should we just sit on our reservation and wait for the dates to hopefully be announced? Cancel and wait? Re-book with the whole package (passes, dining) and then cross our fingers? We also have to roll the dice with our airfare. We always have. We fly Spirit and watch every promo they offer. The advantage is the airport they fly into is 10mins away. It's a lot to juggle and would just like to make it a bit easier to manage and keep track of.
So what do you do if you are shooting for a FD vacation?
If free dining is your goal, I would go ahead and call now to change to a package so it will be easier to add the dining later on, but make sure whenever you decide to make the switch that the agent books the package before canceling the room reservation. Someone could snag the room before she books the package if you cancel the room only first. You don't want to cancel without having a package room reserved first.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:01 AM   #2360
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyry129 View Post
You can purchase a dining plan when using a military room discount, but you cannot get dining for free unless you forego all military discounts and book a regular Magic Your Way package including rack rate room and tickets. You need to do the math both ways to see which is your better option.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:03 AM   #2361
Johnnyry129
Earning My Ears

Thanks!
Johnnyry129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:12 AM   #2362
micknpluto
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPCOTatNight View Post

I say no to all credit cards, so I got the Disney Visa Debit Card. Not many perks, but merchandise discounts and the ability to book some WDW discounts make it worth it for me.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
I did not know this even existed ? Wow
Old 04-29-2013, 11:15 AM   #2363
Scootchu
Earning My Ears

Quote:
If free dining is your goal, I would go ahead and call now to change to a package so it will be easier to add the dining later on, but make sure whenever you decide to make the switch that the agent books the package before canceling the room reservation. Someone could snag the room before she books the package if you cancel the room only first. You don't want to cancel without having a package room reserved first.
Yes, that's the goal. We go directly through WDW and last year made a couple of changes with no problem. You are right about releasing the room and having someone scarf them up while re-booking. My wife just spoke with an agent and said "basically it's not a guarantee to have the room booked that your place is saved, but leave it alone and re-book as soon as any info becomes available on FD" Sooooooo I guess we'll keep watch. Doesn't look all that promising to have the quantity of FD dates in 2013 as there was in 2013, but fingers crossed.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:16 AM   #2364
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by micknpluto View Post
The debit used to earn .5% in Disney rewards, but the regulations for debit cards changed, so they got rid of it completely. It was reintroduced not long ago, but it earns no rewards. It does qualify for many of the other perks, though.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:17 AM   #2365
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by micknpluto View Post
It's fairly new! https://www.chase.com/online/Checkin...visa-debit.htm

momto3gr8boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:20 AM   #2366
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes, that's the goal. We go directly through WDW and last year made a couple of changes with no problem. You are right about releasing the room and having someone scarf them up while re-booking. My wife just spoke with an agent and said "basically it's not a guarantee to have the room booked that your place is saved, but leave it alone and re-book as soon as any info becomes available on FD" Sooooooo I guess we'll keep watch. Doesn't look all that promising to have the quantity of FD dates in 2013 as there was in 2013, but fingers crossed.
That is why I suggested switching to a package now vs. later. If you wait to do it when FD is released, the call volume will be very high and rooms could go quickly. While it is no guarantee that you can get FD with your package already booked, the phone call will go much faster if they only have to pull up your existing reservation to add it than having to start from the beginning. Good luck!
Old 04-29-2013, 11:25 AM   #2367
dig311dug
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDisney411 View Post
If her name is on the reservation you can call and have them add the FD discount to your reservation, but you will have to put down a minimum $200 payment with the Disney Visa for them to apply the discount to your existing reservation.
thanks!
dig311dug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:28 AM   #2368
TheDisney411
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Having a room only reservation is not saving a FD package room for you. There is absolutely no reason to keep that room only reservation. Cancel it, rebook under a package and when the November dates are released this summer, call and add the FD discount to your existing package reservation. Even if you ended up changed dates or rooms or resorts you would not have to cancel and rebook again and your package reservation number will stay the same.
TheDisney411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:46 AM   #2369
micknpluto
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto3gr8boys View Post
Thanks. I will look at this later cool
Old 04-29-2013, 11:54 AM   #2370
Scootchu
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDisney411 View Post
Having a room only reservation is not saving a FD package room for you. There is absolutely no reason to keep that room only reservation. Cancel it, rebook under a package and when the November dates are released this summer, call and add the FD discount to your existing package reservation. Even if you ended up changed dates or rooms or resorts you would not have to cancel and rebook again and your package reservation number will stay the same.
Thank you!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: