Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2013, 06:25 PM   #16
florida sun
Mrs Christopher Eccleston wannabe
Don't you know who I am ??? I was on Dr Who
I'm dizzy just reading

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcraige View Post
Unfortunately, I have these too. My neurologist told me to take 2 Tylenol (acetaminophen) plus 2 Advil (ibuprofen) and drink a Coke. If I feel them coming on, this works on 90% of them. If I don't feel it coming on, but they are mild to medium, this works on 75% of the time.
Thank you for the advice, I have heard drinking coke helps before

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ware Bears View Post
Hope by tonight that your head is completely clear and that you have a great evening.
Thanks Elaine, I had a great night

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampat View Post
I used to suffer with migranes like this too, blurred vision, lack of balance and lack of co-ordination until the headache began. I think mine were hormone related as when I was pregnant with my daughter they got worse for a couple of months, but after I reached 6months of pregnancy they stopped and I haven't had one since. Joy is now 23. It's a bit of an extreme cure, but it worked for me!!!

Pam
Hi Pam it would not only be extreme but nothing short of a miracle should I have another baby now My daughter is 22, and like you they stopped when I was pregnant and have only started up again these past couple of years

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbie1 View Post
Sue hope u are feeling better. Migraines can give the feeling that u have a brain tumour or going to have a stroke. I used to get them terrible when in my early twenties. My gp gave me migralieve then immogran which worked temporarily but he then gave me a low dose of propananol. They are are a beta blocker. I had them for 6 months and with eliminating cheese and fresh orange juice I rarely get them.
They are horrid. Mine start with the aura. Pins and needles numbness then pain from back of head settling behind my right eye.
I empathise with you and I do agree that it is triggers hormones and stress that cause them.
Hi hon, thank you for all that information, this last one was the worse one Ive had, I think more so because I was driving and had to pull over and sit through the aura part in the car for 30 mins feeling really poorly, mine are very similar to yours, unfortunatley I not sure if I can take Beta Blockers as I suffer from a slow heart rate but I will mention it to the doctor, thanks hon

florida sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:28 PM   #17
frankieeyre
Mouseketeer

I get these too! I have had them since I was 16 and am 19 now! I get squiggly zig zag lines in the centre of my eye then they grow larger and larger till they reach the end of my eye. Then the headache starts, the only way I can get rid of it is too sleep or throw up!

I have not yet found out my trigger, but I noticed they started when I went on the pill. Which I then had to come off of because of the migraines. So who knows!
frankieeyre is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-04-2013, 01:36 PM   #18
Miss Mo
DIS Veteran

I get these too! Hate them!! :-( I often find them stress related but usually at the point where I have relaxed after the stressful bit! I'm a teacher and it's often common for me to get them first day of the hols! Great!! I am lucky though and tend to find that if I take pretty much any painkiller at the first sign of visual disturbance then I kick that quickly and just end up with the horrible headache. I also find I am not quite right for a couple of days after though. Horrible things migraines! I do find Migralieve are brilliant though. Now never go anywhere important without them incase (always in my bag at Disney!)

mo x
Old 04-04-2013, 02:58 PM   #19
florida sun
I'm dizzy just reading

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieeyre View Post
I get these too! I have had them since I was 16 and am 19 now! I get squiggly zig zag lines in the centre of my eye then they grow larger and larger till they reach the end of my eye. Then the headache starts, the only way I can get rid of it is too sleep or throw up!

I have not yet found out my trigger, but I noticed they started when I went on the pill. Which I then had to come off of because of the migraines. So who knows!
They sound exactly the same as the type I get, I never got them when I was on the pill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mo View Post
I get these too! Hate them!! :-( I often find them stress related but usually at the point where I have relaxed after the stressful bit! I'm a teacher and it's often common for me to get them first day of the hols! Great!! I am lucky though and tend to find that if I take pretty much any painkiller at the first sign of visual disturbance then I kick that quickly and just end up with the horrible headache. I also find I am not quite right for a couple of days after though. Horrible things migraines! I do find Migralieve are brilliant though. Now never go anywhere important without them incase (always in my bag at Disney!)

mo x
Hi Mo thays so funny you should say that, as the one I had last week started the day I was due 10 days off work! And like you, after I have one im out of sorts for a few days. I can cope with them normally, its just last week was the first time I have had one driving and to be honest as I couldnt pull over immediatley it scared me as I was struggling to see. Im def going to get some Migralieve and I have a doctors appt next week.

Old 04-07-2013, 12:39 PM   #20
jjpenguin
A penguin with mouse ears & wooden shoes?
I'm going to sulk!!

Mine are definitely hormonal, luckily they don't have the visual disturbances any more, I used to get tunnel vision.... eek
Now I sometimes get the aura but it usually doesn't go into a migraine, the migraines I get straight.
I had one once at WDW and got excedrin migraine from the resort shop, they helped pretty well. But it's very personal what you find gives you relief I find a really hot shower helps me, my friend who has them can't stand any heat...

My best tip is take your meds early, don't wait to see if it is going to develop into a full blown migraine, by then you're too late. Nip it in the bud!

Good luck hun!
July 1974 Offsite * Feb 1997 Offsite * Feb 1998 Offsite * Feb 1999 Offsite * Feb 2000 POFQ and Disney Wonder * March 2001 DLP Sequoia Lodge * Nov 2001 1st DVC trip VWL + OKW * March 2003 BWV + AKL Concierge * May 2004 HH + BCV for Star Wars Weekends * Nov 2004 OKW solo trip * Feb 2005 Disneyland * Sept 2005 DVC Member Cruise & Vero Beach * May 2006 Star Wars Weekends again, at BWV * Sept 2006 2nd Solo trip at ASMu and SSR * May 2007 Using up our AP at OKW - Pirates of the Caribbean Adventure on the 7 Seas Lagoon * Sept 2007 Very last minute quick fix solo trip at SSR! * Sept 2008 - DH and me at SSR

jjpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:36 PM   #21
florida sun
I'm dizzy just reading

DISboards Moderator

Hi all

Just wanted to give you all an update, it does appear that mine maybe to do with hormones or lack of as its been confirmed I am going through menopause right now and they could be connected, the doctor has given me tablets called Imigran which should if taken at the first sign of the visual disturbance help with restricting the blood flow in the veins in the head which causes them.

Thank you all for replying and sharing your experiences with me

Old 04-24-2013, 06:36 AM   #22
strawberry blonde
DIS Veteran

Hi Sue, I've had migraines since I was about 25. I started a new job in the accounts department of a bank and the overhead light was flickering on my first day. Got the flashing zig zags and couldn't see the figures on the page. The bank must have thought she's a right one, first day and we've had to send her home

Over the years I've sworn by Migraleve and can usually stop the migraine if I take a tablet as soon as my eyes go blurry. Lately I've been getting them more frequently and the Migraleve's not working as well so my Dr has put me on Supatriptan. Don't find these stop the migraine but they are less frequent so I need to weigh up which tablets are best. Like you I'm menopausal and apparently it's common for migraines to get worse The joys of being a woman!!

Hope your tablets work for you
strawberry blonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:59 AM   #23
florida sun
I'm dizzy just reading

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberry blonde View Post
Hi Sue, I've had migraines since I was about 25. I started a new job in the accounts department of a bank and the overhead light was flickering on my first day. Got the flashing zig zags and couldn't see the figures on the page. The bank must have thought she's a right one, first day and we've had to send her home

Over the years I've sworn by Migraleve and can usually stop the migraine if I take a tablet as soon as my eyes go blurry. Lately I've been getting them more frequently and the Migraleve's not working as well so my Dr has put me on Supatriptan. Don't find these stop the migraine but they are less frequent so I need to weigh up which tablets are best. Like you I'm menopausal and apparently it's common for migraines to get worse The joys of being a woman!!

Hope your tablets work for you
Thank you so much, yes I agree the joys of being a woman

Im hoping these tablets will help but nothing prepares me for how frightened I am when the flashing zig zags start, even though I know it will stop within half hour, I panic and think its something much more serious.

I hope your tablets work well for you too

Old 04-25-2013, 03:10 PM   #24
tony111
Mouseketeer

Hey girls, you don't have a monopoly on migraines you know. I'm a 55yr old bloke and have been getting em since I was a teenager, Doctor suggested about 10yr ago to start taking a low-dose aspirin(75mg) every day. Since then I don't get them very often. The flowers are for my fellow sufferers.
tony111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:37 AM   #25
florida sun
I'm dizzy just reading

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony111 View Post
Hey girls, you don't have a monopoly on migraines you know. I'm a 55yr old bloke and have been getting em since I was a teenager, Doctor suggested about 10yr ago to start taking a low-dose aspirin(75mg) every day. Since then I don't get them very often. The flowers are for my fellow sufferers.
Hi Tony, thanks for your input, sorry to hear you have been a sufferer in the past and good to know that the aspirin is working for you somewhat.

I didnt realise until I started this thread how many people actually suffered from these debilitating episodes, lets hope it gets a bit better for us all.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:13 AM   #26
toots82
Earning My Ears

Hi,

haven't read all replies so apologies is I repeat anything

I used to get these a lot. Felt sick, my eyes went a bit kaleidoscope like and flickery, aching, thumping head (esp if I bent down to pick something up) numbness everywhere from tongue to fingers, usually down one side of body, first time I thought I was having a stroke, honestly I was terrified, I felt like my speech was slurring too. Turns out it was my pill and hormones. A pill I had been on before I had both my kids suddenly caused this. I guess my body had changed in some way, or the pill had. The up shot is now am not allowed to take combined pill at all as I tried another 2 and symptoms started. Cant take mini pill either....oh well, hubby is off to the vets

Anyhoo, that's my wee story, but my pal used to get horrific migraines too and the docs gave her this treatment that she described as being like the breath freshner paper things u used to put on your tongue and they dissolved. She said they were only things that worked

Hope u get some relief

xx
Old 05-11-2013, 07:08 PM   #27
NFLDERS
DIS Veteran

Cool

The lights, floaters, and such I understood were an Aura and warn of a migraine coming. For people whom can take something then would be able to keep it away.

In Canada we have the herb Feverfew in capsule form. I used for 5 wonderful Migraine free yrs!

This was about 15 yrs ago now. At the time my research before purchase stated no longer then 5 yrs. I do not recall why the time restraint.

Also, I remember the herb is not for everyone given someone is on Medication ie

Hope this helps. . .
NFLDERS is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: