Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013, 10:13 PM   #1
Matchboxjen
Earning My Ears
 
Matchboxjen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 43

Doing Disneyland alone??

Hi everyone,

I've been a long time lurker of the board, but just recently registered.

To make a very long story short:

After plans falling through multiple times I have decided to plan a trip to Disneyland alone. I'm tired of waiting for someone to go with me. I've been to WDW twice and DL once, but never alone. In hoping that things change and someone will go with me, but I'm not holding my breath. Has anyone done Disneyland alone? Was it ok or awkward? How many days did you go for? I'm thinking 3 days will be enough for me.

Thanks for the help!
Matchboxjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:19 PM   #2
sonnyjane
DIS Veteran
 
sonnyjane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 6,627

I go alone all the time!!! 3 days will be great if you're alone. You'll see just about everything. Remember to take advantage of the Single Rider lines!!
sonnyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-28-2013, 10:28 PM   #3
Matchboxjen
Earning My Ears
 
Matchboxjen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 43

Thanks for the reply! I would definitely do single rider lines. I don't mind being alone, I just don't know if I can handle it for 3 days! Haha. But, I miss Disney too much to dwell on it too much.
__________________
"Funny in a certain light how we all look the same"
Matchboxjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:54 PM   #4
Baliezer
DIS Veteran
 
Baliezer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 618

We are going in about two weeks if you want to go with us. We go at a pretty fast pass though.
__________________
Mama to four beautiful girls!
Baliezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:01 PM   #5
mikedoyleblogger
DIS Veteran
 
mikedoyleblogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,343

Disneyland alone doesn't necessarily feel alone. It's one of the few places I've ever been where being alone doesn't really dampen the experience. If you're brave enough to talk to the CMs you encounter and fellow visitors waiting in ride queues, you'll intereact with lots of people. And since you're at DLR, many of those visitors are in a good mood and totally open to chatting. Plus, every couple or group you encounter where one person is the "odd person out" taking everyone else's photo, you can offer to take the photo--which usually makes their day. I've done DLR alone many days and have used these strategies to have a great, very un-alone time.
__________________
WDW 1973 Poly | WDW Jul 1977 offsite | DLR Jul 1988 offsite | DLP Apr 2000 offsite | DLR Apr 2002 PPH | DLR Sep 2002 HoJo | DLR Dec 2002 HoJo (HolidayTime) | DLR Apr 2003 HoJo | DLR Dec 2005 HoJo | DLR Mar 2013 HoJo | WDW May 2013 Pop | DLR Oct 2013 HoJo (HalloweenTime) | DLR Aug 2014 GCH | DLR Sep 2014 DLH (HalloweenTime) | DLR Dec 2014 TBD (HolidayTime) | Moving to L.A. 2015!
mikedoyleblogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:06 PM   #6
Matchboxjen
Earning My Ears
 
Matchboxjen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baliezer View Post
We are going in about two weeks if you want to go with us. We go at a pretty fast pass though.
Thanks for the offer! I'm going to go in Oct/Nov probably.
__________________
"Funny in a certain light how we all look the same"
Matchboxjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:07 PM   #7
Matchboxjen
Earning My Ears
 
Matchboxjen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedoyleblogger View Post
Disneyland alone doesn't necessarily feel alone. It's one of the few places I've ever been where being alone doesn't really dampen the experience. If you're brave enough to talk to the CMs you encounter and fellow visitors waiting in ride queues, you'll intereact with lots of people. And since you're at DLR, many of those visitors are in a good mood and totally open to chatting. Plus, every couple or group you encounter where one person is the "odd person out" taking everyone else's photo, you can offer to take the photo--which usually makes their day. I've done DLR alone many days and have used these strategies to have a great, very un-alone time.
Very true. Thanks!
__________________
"Funny in a certain light how we all look the same"
Matchboxjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:16 PM   #8
beachdreamr1229
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: CA
Posts: 184

I would love to take a solo trip to Disneyland. I have made a habit of visiting every theme park in southern California except Disneyland on my own just because I love doing things by myself sometimes. My visits to other parks have all been extremely fun, especially because there are a lot of rides you can use single rider for and it saves a lot of time.

If you want to see everything at Disneyland and DCA, 3 days will probably be enough unless you are going during the busiest time of summer. But if you're going in the off-season, 2 would probably be okay, especially if you don't care so much about Toontown or some of the stuff more geared toward little kids.

Also, if you're up for it, sometimes you can set up a meet-up with other people who are going alone. This can either be an all-day or part of a day, or even just a meal. It gives you some social interaction.

My family and I have APs, so if you need company, we may be available at short notice. We have the cheap pass though, so lots of blackout days.
__________________
Enjoying DL since 1987. Loving re-living it with my children now!

1987-1999: DL At least 1 trip per year
2000: WDW for Millenium Celebration CBR
2003: DL Grad Nite
2006-2008: DL 1 trip per year for the holidays
2013: First trip to DL with DS, DLH, PPH, APs for the year


Already in the beginning stages of planning another BIG trip to DL for 2015 (60th Anniversary), and another BIG trip to WDW in 2021 (50th Anniversary)!
beachdreamr1229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:17 PM   #9
Baliezer
DIS Veteran
 
Baliezer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchboxjen View Post
Thanks for the offer! I'm going to go in Oct/Nov probably.
Let me know if you change your mind. We have passes and aim for Disney at every holiday, three day weekend and sometimes in between.
__________________
Mama to four beautiful girls!
Baliezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:23 PM   #10
Matchboxjen
Earning My Ears
 
Matchboxjen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachdreamr1229 View Post
I would love to take a solo trip to Disneyland. I have made a habit of visiting every theme park in southern California except Disneyland on my own just because I love doing things by myself sometimes. My visits to other parks have all been extremely fun, especially because there are a lot of rides you can use single rider for and it saves a lot of time.

If you want to see everything at Disneyland and DCA, 3 days will probably be enough unless you are going during the busiest time of summer. But if you're going in the off-season, 2 would probably be okay, especially if you don't care so much about Toontown or some of the stuff more geared toward little kids.

Also, if you're up for it, sometimes you can set up a meet-up with other people who are going alone. This can either be an all-day or part of a day, or even just a meal. It gives you some social interaction.

My family and I have APs, so if you need company, we may be available at short notice. We have the cheap pass though, so lots of blackout days.
Thanks for the reply! I'm thinking of going in either Oct or Nov. Hopefully it won't be as hot then because I'm not a fan of the heat haha. I plan on staying at a hotel within walking distance so if I need a break, it's not a big deal to leave the park for a bit.

I kept going back and forth in my head about whether or not to go alone, but all these positive replies have me leaning towards going. Thanks so much!
__________________
"Funny in a certain light how we all look the same"
Matchboxjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:24 PM   #11
Matchboxjen
Earning My Ears
 
Matchboxjen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baliezer View Post
Let me know if you change your mind. We have passes and aim for Disney at every holiday, three day weekend and sometimes in between.
Awesome! Thanks!
__________________
"Funny in a certain light how we all look the same"
Matchboxjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:18 AM   #12
Phoenixrising
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 375

I love going solo to DL and running away from home so to speak. I'm going to DL this Nov, and am having more concerns about my spine than the trip itself. Was involved in a major crash, and it's looking like this trip will be the deciding factor if we are going to WDW afterwards in a couple of years or not, depending on how my back handles the flight and rides. Take it from me, don't let the fear of going solo on trips stop you from doing things. The main reason I go to DL solo is that I love it, and feel safe travelling there. I'm going for 6 days in Nov solo, and intend on pushing the back to it's Max without going overboard.And have a blast doing it. Have a great trip!!!
Phoenixrising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:28 AM   #13
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran
 
bumbershoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tacoma WA
Posts: 46,711

I have LOVED my solo trips. Just loved them.

But I used to go eat on my own, see movies on my own, etc. I was single until I was newly 31, and that gave me quite a few years of getting to be on my own. Disneyland solo gives me a taste of how luscious that time was.
__________________
-molly + robert + eamon (10!!)

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:04 PM   #14
Matchboxjen
Earning My Ears
 
Matchboxjen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixrising View Post
I love going solo to DL and running away from home so to speak. I'm going to DL this Nov, and am having more concerns about my spine than the trip itself. Was involved in a major crash, and it's looking like this trip will be the deciding factor if we are going to WDW afterwards in a couple of years or not, depending on how my back handles the flight and rides. Take it from me, don't let the fear of going solo on trips stop you from doing things. The main reason I go to DL solo is that I love it, and feel safe travelling there. I'm going for 6 days in Nov solo, and intend on pushing the back to it's Max without going overboard.And have a blast doing it. Have a great trip!!!

Thanks for the reply! I don't want to sit around watching life pass me by. I feel like DL is a good first trip alone. Safe area and lots to keep me busy!
__________________
"Funny in a certain light how we all look the same"
Matchboxjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:06 PM   #15
Matchboxjen
Earning My Ears
 
Matchboxjen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
I have LOVED my solo trips. Just loved them.

But I used to go eat on my own, see movies on my own, etc. I was single until I was newly 31, and that gave me quite a few years of getting to be on my own. Disneyland solo gives me a taste of how luscious that time was.
I'm 30 and have just started doing stuff on my own more. I don't mind it, but travelling on my own will be the true test! Haha.
__________________
"Funny in a certain light how we all look the same"
Matchboxjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: