Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 07:21 PM   #211
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkocto View Post
Whoa nelly! Look at that gorgeous verandah!!!

And I see some gorgeous diet Mountain Dews stock piled

Very nice room, were you at any point disappointed you didn't do concierge again?
That was one of our main reasons for going to Walmart, she loves her Mtn Dew and couldn't go a week on only Diet Coke.

The only time I had pangs of regret was when I saw the guys in the brown suits going around doting on their customers and knowing that they weren't doting on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphingirl47 View Post
That there is plenty of seating at Topsiders/ Beach Blanket Buffet on embarkation day is a blatant lie. We only ended up at Beach Blanket Buffet on embarkation day once and that was during our Mexican Riviera cruise in 2011. We were juggling our carry ons and the trays and ended up sitting half way between the Mickey and Goofy pool as those were the only tables available.

Your hot plate looks very much like mine would have looked with the exception that some of my foods would have been touching. I am glad that you got your tastings booked. I have to say I am always decidedly underwhelmed by the desserts on DCL. The exception are the desserts in Palo and the Grand Marnier Souffle at Lumiere's/ Triton's.
They just want to get people out of their hair downstairs. I read too many TRs where not only were people juggling stuff, but they also were freezing in the cold outside.

Yeah those are my favorite desserts as well.

Quote:
That prohibited item claims receipt, was this for the iron?

Corinna

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgbg100106 View Post
The food looked wonderful and what a nice cabin.....

So what was taken out of your luggage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Wonderful cabin. That verandah looks amazing!

Yes....what was "prohibited"?
Alison ~~~~ She said it wouldn't be Boring! | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:41 PM   #212
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

I hope you got the iron back!!

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-28-2013, 08:44 PM   #213
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorimay View Post
Yummy Pics of buffet.....

Thanks for the reminder that I need to stop eating for the next 3 weeks, so that I can be sitting at that first lunch and enjoy the schnitzel and other goodies.

I will be on The Wonder repo LA to Vancouver.

Keep your pics coming.

I'm going to stop eating now for our cruise in January.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
That sounds like a great cruise, Corinna will be on that one too!

Yeah, I just got on the scale this morning. I had about 6 extra pounds from my WDW trip and now I have another 9 more.

I'm starting to top vacation weight on top of vacation weight. I don't like it.

Great update! Your room is very nice and it's making wish I booked a full verandah but Joshua really wants the Navigators. Who lows what goes on in the mind of a tween boy.

The cooler is bigger than I thought. I'm so going to wait for Parrot Cay. I like that you posted pictures of the documents etc....I love that stuff.

I recall someone saying no iron but don't remember who. Did they return it to you? Why couldn't you bring an iron?

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

Last edited by rentayenta; 04-28-2013 at 10:01 PM.
rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:00 PM   #214
franandaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
I'm going to stop earring now for our cruise in January.

I'm starting to top vacation weight on top of vacation weight. I don't like it.

Great update! Your room is very nice and it's making wish I booked a full verandah but Joshua really wants the Navigators. Who lows what goes on in the mind of a tween boy.

The cooler is bigger than I thought. I'm so going to wait for Parrot Cay. I like that you posted pictures of the documents etc....I love that stuff.

I recall someone saying no iron but don't remember who. Did they return it to you? Why couldn't you bring an iron?
Why can't you wear earrings until your cruise in January?

Yes, I have vacation weight on vacation weight. Tonight we are having Egg Foo Young and Fried rice, I hope that helps with the weight!

Corinna told me about no iron. They have them in the Laundry rooms, but it is really cheap to have shirts pressed. I wish Fran would just go with that, at $1.50 a shirt, just have someone else press them!
Alison ~~~~ She said it wouldn't be Boring! | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

Old 04-28-2013, 10:03 PM   #215
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
Why can't you wear earrings until your cruise in January?

Yes, I have vacation weight on vacation weight. Tonight we are having Egg Foo Young and Fried rice, I hope that helps with the weight!

Corinna told me about no iron. They have them in the Laundry rooms, but it is really cheap to have shirts pressed. I wish Fran would just go with that, at $1.50 a shirt, just have someone else press them!

Damn spellcheck....eating not earrings. I'm going to stop eating now.....

They'll press your shirts on board? Not that I wear anything that requires ironing.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:51 AM   #216
tmoor
Earning My Ears

Since Parrot Cay is going to be Carioca's (sp?) after the upgrade, do you think there is still going to be two different buffets when you board? I'm just so new to sailing with Disney, went on my first cruise on the Dream this past January (and the only other time I sailed was about 8 years or so ago on one of the Carnival ships and I don't remember a whole lot about that one!). I think it was the 3rd night of a 4 night cruise on the Dream before I realized the importance of the Personal Navigator!!! Dohhh! I'm going on the Magic on the double dip on October 20 so I'm very excited but I'll have my hubby, 4yo daughter, aunt, cousin, and cousin's 4yo daughter with me so I'm wondering what is the best choice for such a big group to eat on embarkation day. I am thankful you mentioned the part about having to juggle luggage and a meal tray while trying to find a seat. I don't want any part of that especially when you add 4 year olds to the mix!!
tmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:48 PM   #217
lorimay
DIS Veteran

WOW! Your room is huge. I love it. That must have been great especially the huge shower.

This will be our first cruise that we have done VGT. So we have no idea what we will get. I hope that one is available.

We have always done 5B or 4B. But I will be happy in any room really.

Egg Foo young is my very favorite chinese, You have great taste.
lorimay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:51 PM   #218
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Oops, how late am I!!
Hope you can forgive me and I will try and catch up now
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:42 PM   #219
dolphingirl47
I will post my goodies once I am back
I have always been too worried to use the pillowcase

Quote:
It's a safety issue. One of the worst things that can happen on a ship is a fire. Hence no candles or electrical items that get hot are allowed. I think the one exception are hair straighteners.

Quote:
They'll press your shirts on board? Not that I wear anything that requires ironing.
Yes, they do. The first thing I do when my luggage arrives is sending my gowns for pressing. Dry cleaning is also insanely cheap on the ships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoor View Post
Since Parrot Cay is going to be Carioca's (sp?) after the upgrade, do you think there is still going to be two different buffets when you board? I'm just so new to sailing with Disney, went on my first cruise on the Dream this past January (and the only other time I sailed was about 8 years or so ago on one of the Carnival ships and I don't remember a whole lot about that one!). I think it was the 3rd night of a 4 night cruise on the Dream before I realized the importance of the Personal Navigator!!! Dohhh! I'm going on the Magic on the double dip on October 20 so I'm very excited but I'll have my hubby, 4yo daughter, aunt, cousin, and cousin's 4yo daughter with me so I'm wondering what is the best choice for such a big group to eat on embarkation day. I am thankful you mentioned the part about having to juggle luggage and a meal tray while trying to find a seat. I don't want any part of that especially when you add 4 year olds to the mix!!

Yes, I have read a few times now that Carioca's will serve a buffet for breakfast and lunch and a sit down meal for dinner.

Corinna
dolphingirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:38 PM   #220
franandaj

Quote:
Damn spellcheck....eating not earrings. I'm going to stop eating now.....

The last two cruises I have sent stuff out for either cleaning or pressing as soon as we got our luggage. It costs half the dry cleaning or laundry fee, so it is a really good deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoor View Post
I don't think they could have only one restaurant to serve all the folks coming on board. I think the indoor restaurant would be better for a larger party. That way they bring you the drinks and you can spend the time chasing the kids and not the food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorimay View Post
WOW! Your room is huge. I love it. That must have been great especially the huge shower.

This will be our first cruise that we have done VGT. So we have no idea what we will get. I hope that one is available.

We have always done 5B or 4B. But I will be happy in any room really.

Egg Foo young is my very favorite chinese, You have great taste.
Chances are you will not get that room, there are only two of them on the whole ship and most of the time they are booked by disabled travelers. However, you never know, stranger things have happened!

I love Egg Foo Yung, but sadly I am disappointed when I get it in restaurants now that I have learned to make it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
Oops, how late am I!!
Hope you can forgive me and I will try and catch up now
No worries, I'm really just getting started here! We just pulled out of port!

Quote:
It's a safety issue. One of the worst things that can happen on a ship is a fire. Hence no candles or electrical items that get hot are allowed. I think the one exception are hair straighteners.

Yes, they do. The first thing I do when my luggage arrives is sending my gowns for pressing. Dry cleaning is also insanely cheap on the ships.

Yes, I have read a few times now that Carioca's will serve a buffet for breakfast and lunch and a sit down meal for dinner.

Corinna
If I'd known that they had irons in the laundry room, there never would have been an issue, but this way she to have her shirts pressed instead of having to do it herself.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:06 PM   #221
franandaj

One of the first things that Fran noticed in the Navigator was that Brave was playing tonight. This was a movie that we had wanted to see for some time. It was playing on our last cruise, but we never seemed to find the time to go see it. We decided not to miss it this time.

We made our way to the Buena Vista Theater and found it was practically empty. There were maybe six or seven other families present and the movie started promptly. As soon as the lights dimmed, we started to kick ourselves for forgetting to bring one of our boxes of snacks!

The movie was cute, and both of us were in tears for most of the second half. Thankfully with Disney you can usually count on a happy ending so no one was sad when it came time for dinner.

The movie finished with a little extra time before we had to be at the dining room and Fran wanted to go shopping before they sold out of all the large sizes of T-shirts. We both picked out a few shirts, she bought the “extra gifts” that you can purchase with an x amount of dollar purchase. I helped out there by purchasing a pair of earrings to match my cruise pendant. I’m not exactly sure what all we bought, but it took two of their bags to hold it all. They let me take the earrings with me, but they held the rest of the stuff until after dinner.

I was a little apprehensive about taking took many pictures at dinner so you’ll excuse me if I recycle these menus from the last time.

I ordered the Blue Margarita

For an appetizer, I had the Island Spiced Seared Ahi Tuna

Fran went with the Baked Crab Martinique

She went with the Cream of Green Asparagus with Crabmeat and Asparagus Tips

While I had the Parrot Cay Salad. BACON!!!!!!

We decided for the “best of both worlds”, that she would get the Rib Eye and give me half and I would get the Mixed Grill and share it with her. It worked out pretty well. We ordered everything Medium Rare and only the Lamb Chop and shrimp were overcooked. The rest was cooked rather nicely.

Then we were brought the dessert menu.

Fran had the Crème Brulee Cheesecake

I went with the Piña Colada Bread Pudding. I normally don’t like coconut, but Fran keeps reminding me that it isn’t the TASTE that I don’t like it’s the TEXTURE. So this was pretty good!

Here was our serving team. Our waiter was very nice, he wanted to make everything perfect, almost to a fault. He would spend so much time telling us how perfect he wanted to make things that sometimes it took forever to get our dinner!

This was also a first for us. We were seated with other couples. On our first Disney Cruise we were at a table of four. I’m not sure what was the problem with the other couple, but no matter how hard I tried to be friendly, they just wouldn’t budge. I was plenty happy we had our own table last cruise. This time, we met two of the couples this evening. The third couple had dined at Palo the first night, but our waiter assured us they would be there tomorrow.

With the conclusion of our meal, we went up to the stores to pick up our merchandise. Fran still wanted to look around in the other store so I sat in Preludes and waited for her. Notice the angle of this first shot. That’s about how my head felt! I was tired from a long day, waking up early moving three VERY heavy suitcases onto the luggage cart. Schlepping our carry ons all over creation and then unloading our bags upon arrival. I just wanted to go to sleep!

And when we came back to the room, we found our first towel animal. And of course the Navigator, which I had to read from cover to cover.

With that we decided to call it a night. Our first sea day was ahead of us tomorrow and we had some really big plans!

Last edited by franandaj; 05-05-2013 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:32 AM   #222
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Wow, you must have been exhausted. You had such a long day

Looks like the shopping trip was a success and I love your new earrings
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:06 AM   #223
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

You saw Brave? Guess what? I saw Brave at the weekend. First time for me!

Looks like great meals are on the cards on this TR! Nice earrings.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:56 AM   #224
Pinkocto
In love with all things Disney. Happily joined DVC 01/11.

Great update dinner looked delicious! Glad you made it to Brave, I really liked that movie, saw it again on the ship as well.

Oh no on your server, I hope he wasn't too slow making things perfect. I hope your tablemates were enjoyable.

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14, AKV/BCV 10/14
Pinkocto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:12 AM   #225
lorimay
DIS Veteran

Everything looks so yummy!!!!

I like the earrings you chose.

My favorite thing on that dessert menu is the coconut ice cream!
I'm thinking your pina colada choice with a scoop of that ice cream would be perfection!!!!
lorimay is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: