Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2013, 07:05 PM   #16
checkwriter
DIS Veteran

I have to think one of the major benefits of the CP is the exposure to the standards that Disney tries to impose on all of its cast members. This is not something that is not found in many work environment -- just think about, for example, the varying levels of competence we experience when visiting different McDonalds. Each CP member is going to take that away with them no matter what role they play, and if they pay attention to what's going on, they're going to benefit.

Be a Little Like Bawb Today
checkwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:00 PM   #17
AnnaS

The puppy has now left the building and I am exhausted
Will you be rolling?
I can't wait to try them all

My dd is there now and is in custodial at a resort. She had never picked up a broom or mop before. But I will say - that they are not really the "cleaning crew". They make sure things are clean, stocked up and tidy. She absolutely loves it. They have more freedom and get to interact with the guests a lot more. She loves it so much, she decided to extend. Her next role will be attractions since she loves to try new things and wants to experience a park. She is lucky she got that but would have been happy with custodial again or recreation at the resort (another role she would not have minded doing).

Upcoming/planned trips:
March - SSR
October BCV F & W - 4 N. DCL Dream Double Dip

DCL '01 Eastern, '03 Western, '05 West Coast Cruise ºoº '07 11 N. Med. Cruise, '13 Western
WDW - CBR, POR, POP, OKW, BWV, BCV, AKV, VWL, HH & VB, SSR,
AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-14-2013, 12:10 PM   #18
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

A dear friend of mine had the same goals and started at custodial as a CP he is now a friend of Goofy Just hold your head high there is nothing lowly about custodial in fact they have the most guest interaction learn the parks very well and they make the magic by keeping WDW the way it is..not like other area parks
Old 04-14-2013, 06:51 PM   #19
keypooh90
Lovatic

OP, I sent you a long PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:00 PM   #20
Puffy2
DIS Veteran

OP, I hear ya. One of my children is a theater major.

And I know exactly what you are saying. I still think that the Disney College Program is slave labor/indentured servant - minimum wage...live in company housing...they take your rent out of your check. Sounds familiar.

But I can also see some positives. Kid lives on their own, learns some life skills, is trained by a company known for service.

The good thing about custodial is that if your son hates it it will absolutely motivate him to work harder for a better job later in life. Might be the best thing that ever happened to him. Could also teach him appreciation for the work of others, etc...

Good luck to him and you too.
Puffy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:24 PM   #21
Joanna71985
Characters are my friendsSuper CP to the rescue!
I was mostly in Fantasyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffy2 View Post

And I know exactly what you are saying. I still think that the Disney College Program is slave labor/indentured servant - minimum wage...live in company housing...they take your rent out of your check. Sounds familiar.

But I can also see some positives. Kid lives on their own, learns some life skills, is trained by a company known for service.

The good thing about custodial is that if your son hates it it will absolutely motivate him to work harder for a better job later in life. Might be the best thing that ever happened to him. Could also teach him appreciation for the work of others, etc...

I'm sorry, but I do not think the CP should be compared to slave labor (slaves did not have a choice in being removed and uprooted to America; students wanting to do the CP do have a choice- no one is forcing them to do the CP). Also, they know about all that going in, so it shouldn't be a surprise
Aug 1998- POR March 2003- HS band trip (offsite) Aug 2003- POR Jan 12-Aug 5, 2005: CP Jan 1-5, 2006: AS Sports (solo) May 24, 2006- Jan 5, 2007: CP Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007: Solo (offsite) March 1-3, 2007: Dad+me (offsite) May 16-Aug 10, 2007: CP Aug 10-12, 2007: GF May 21-Aug 15, 2008: CP Aug 15-18, 2008: AKL March 25-29, 2009 (offsite) Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: CP Jan 3-May 14, 2010: CP May 16, 2010~ FT Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012 Fantasy: Oct 20-27, 2012 (East) Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013 Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014 Dream: 3-6, 2014 (for now)
Joanna71985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:36 AM   #22
wilkeliza
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffy2 View Post

Also you aren't forced to live in company housing and if it bothers you so much that rent is automatically removed you can sign paper work saying you will pay the management company directly.

Also slave labor and indenture servants were paid far less than minimum wage if anything at all and were treated far worse than CPs.

If you have the ability to afford elsewhere and find a short term rental CPs are more than welcome to live off property. All they have to do is fill out the paper work to do so.

And just as a side note from a theater graduate (BA Lighting Design from a school in NYC) if you think your child with get better than the CP with that degree think again. 75% if not higher of theater majors only make minimum wage in crappy jobs off the bat. Our chosen career path is probably the only one that is up to luck so many times. No matter how good you are you could still end up stuck at Starbucks your whole life.
wilkeliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:45 PM   #23
kaphil
Earning My Ears

Custodial Rocks! My husband is trying to get cross-trained for it since he has met so many cast members who enjoy it. Yes, you work hard sometimes, but you do that in all the roles there and in this one you have some time for guest interaction that a lot of the rest of us cast members don't get, (and envy).
kaphil is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: