Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 09:33 PM   #2836
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
I hopped on this morning to say we just left the Grand and report about the pool and DVC construction, and found people up in arms! I haven't read all the posts, but thought I'd say - I've read the blog post everyone is discussing, and I thought it was hilarious!

As has been pointed out, this blogger has a candid style. He is more of a writer than a reviewer, to my mind. Someone who writes for the overall effect of the piece, rather than a black and white review of the resort, restaurant, etc.

I highly doubt anyone is stumbling on this one report and seeing it as an indictment of the Grand as a whole. We use easyWDW calendars and I've enjoyed the reviews on the site tremendously - goofy comments and all.

Oh, and I have some photos of the new courtyard pool fence being installed, along with Gasparilla's and Sandy Cove photos. When I get a chance, I'll upload and share. We had a wonderful stay at the Grand! There was some construction noise, but it didn't overly impact our stay. We didn't spend a lot of time out on the grounds, though, so I can't vouch for how it feels after hearing it for hours (in the pool, for instance - we swam once, for only about 2 hours).
I have to agree with you, I think Josh is hilarious I'm a bit behind, and haven't read the uproar. We also use his Crowd Calendars and they're pretty good.
Great pics!! Love it. More please.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 20-Sept 3 2014 GF & GF CL
Old 04-26-2013, 09:44 PM   #2837
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
Hi there, I'm looking at all my options depending where DD is placed to work as a CM so its easier to see her as we're only going for a week and she won't get time off. My one memory of the GF marina was when we were on the boat to MK and two teens decided to 'moon' out the window, DD was about five and said they were very silly .
How exciting for DD! I think if you request Marina then you won't be on the DVC construction side. Too funny about the moon
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-27-2013, 03:04 AM   #2838
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aylarosie View Post
Hi I am new to the boards. I joined in Feb after booking a last minute birthday trip over March 16 -24 this year.While we were there we ate at Narcossees and I really loved the Grand Floridian. I am thinking of booking a trip for this coming July.With the summer rates it seems managable.We are celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary and would be traveling alone(no children). I thought it would be fun to do disney deluxe dining and eat at some of the 2 credit resteraunts. We stayed at POR in March and it was very nice. My husband needs a scooter (for distances) and I thought being on the monorail would be best.Acouple of years ago we stayed at the Poly for that reason.Do you have any suggestions for rooms that would be scooter friendly. We would only be staying 4 days and would at least visit MK AND EPCOT.What are any other special resteraunts would anyone reccomend. Thanks Nan
Welcome, and congrats on your 40th wedding anniversary! What a milestone! I think you will love the Grand.

I don't have any specific room requests that are better for scooters. I think all the rooms have plenty of space, except perhaps the dormer. You may want to make a request for "no dormer room" - these are on the upper floors, usually 4 and 5, but a few are on the 3rd floors.

All the restaurants at the Grand are very good, we especially love the GF Cafe. We eat there more than once per trip, usually at breakfast or lunch. Citricos is very nice, and a little quieter than Narcoossee's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiis99 View Post
Oh goodness.... I guess I'm glad we can't go right now.
That sounds like my neighborhood, (we are victums of SANDY, so we hear a lot of that since that storm happened. ugh)
I'm so sorry to hear you are having to deal with the aftermath of Sandy. I hope the recovery goes swiftly and you won't have too much longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
Hi there, I'm looking at all my options depending where DD is placed to work as a CM so its easier to see her as we're only going for a week and she won't get time off. My one memory of the GF marina was when we were on the boat to MK and two teens decided to 'moon' out the window, DD was about five and said they were very silly .
Congratulations to your DD, how fun! LOL about the mooning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M View Post
I have to agree with you, I think Josh is hilarious I'm a bit behind, and haven't read the uproar. We also use his Crowd Calendars and they're pretty good.
Great pics!! Love it. More please.
I'll try to get some more up soon! I took quite a few, one lady who saw me snapping in several locations said I was the picture-takin'est lady she ever saw!
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
Old 04-27-2013, 07:18 AM   #2839
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone on the thread had any experience at the Ivy Trellis Salon? We will be doing a breakfast here the morning of MNSSHP and considering making an appointment to get my hair washed and styled for the party. The information I could find was a little limiting. I'm not too concerned about the price. I'm going as Ariel and as a red head anyway, I can't see the point of buying a wig. Will get my hair style in a similar fashion if possible. I have very long hair so I'm sure they can do something with it. I can bring in a photo of the type of style I'm looking for.

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Old 04-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #2840
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_Princess83 View Post
Hi Everyone,

Has anyone on the thread had any experience at the Ivy Trellis Salon? We will be doing a breakfast here the morning of MNSSHP and considering making an appointment to get my hair washed and styled for the party. The information I could find was a little limiting. I'm not too concerned about the price. I'm going as Ariel and as a red head anyway, I can't see the point of buying a wig. Will get my hair style in a similar fashion if possible. I have very long hair so I'm sure they can do something with it. I can bring in a photo of the type of style I'm looking for.
We have had our hair styled a few times before going to V&A's, and DD is a red head, too, lots of hair! I should say, we had it done prior to the new management, so I can only speak for when it was run through the Nikki Bryan spas.

I doubt they will want to do a shampoo - they always told us not to wash our hair the day of the up do. It's harder for them to get it to stay up with clean hair.

We were both pleased with the results. I know BCV23 and her DD have had cuts there as well, and had no complaints.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
Old 04-27-2013, 09:02 PM   #2841
CaliforniaDreaming
#1 Grand Floridian Fan/Expert

Quote:
I hopped on this morning to say we just left the Grand and report about the pool and DVC construction, and found people up in arms! I haven't read all the posts, but thought I'd say - I've read the blog post everyone is discussing, and I thought it was hilarious!

As has been pointed out, this blogger has a candid style. He is more of a writer than a reviewer, to my mind. Someone who writes for the overall effect of the piece, rather than a black and white review of the resort, restaurant, etc.

I highly doubt anyone is stumbling on this one report and seeing it as an indictment of the Grand as a whole. We use easyWDW calendars and I've enjoyed the reviews on the site tremendously - goofy comments and all.

Oh, and I have some photos of the new courtyard pool fence being installed, along with Gasparilla's and Sandy Cove photos. When I get a chance, I'll upload and share. We had a wonderful stay at the Grand! There was some construction noise, but it didn't overly impact our stay. We didn't spend a lot of time out on the grounds, though, so I can't vouch for how it feels after hearing it for hours (in the pool, for instance - we swam once, for only about 2 hours).
Welcome back!! Glad to hear they are indeed putting up a new fence around the CY pool.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:44 AM   #2842
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the reply I'll call them when we are a few weeks out and talk to them. I don't want an updo, just some curls ect. It's strange, all the different countries ways of doing things. Here in Australia, a hairdresser will always do a full shampoo and condition before doing any styling unless you specifically ask them not to wash it. Thanks for letting me know. I'll have had a hair cut a few weeks prior so it won't need a cut, just the styling.

Quote:
We have had our hair styled a few times before going to V&A's, and DD is a red head, too, lots of hair! I should say, we had it done prior to the new management, so I can only speak for when it was run through the Nikki Bryan spas.

I doubt they will want to do a shampoo - they always told us not to wash our hair the day of the up do. It's harder for them to get it to stay up with clean hair.

We were both pleased with the results. I know BCV23 and her DD have had cuts there as well, and had no complaints.

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Old 04-28-2013, 04:55 PM   #2843
momofboyz3
DIS Veteran

Hi everyone!!!! Apologies if this has been answered but I did not find it in a quick search. We are not staying @ the Grand Floridian we will be at POR (due to the price & it's myself & boys). But, I had booked ADR @ the Floridian Cafe! I wanted to walk around and enjoy the beauty of the hotel. My question is: will construction be going on the end of May & is it in the front or back of the hotel? Just curious.... Thanks all!
Old 04-28-2013, 04:58 PM   #2844
momofboyz3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofboyz3 View Post
Hi everyone!!!! Apologies if this has been answered but I did not find it in a quick search. We are not staying @ the Grand Floridian we will be at POR (due to the price & it's myself & boys). But, I had booked ADR @ the Floridian Cafe! I wanted to walk around and enjoy the beauty of the hotel. My question is: will construction be going on the end of May & is it in the front or back of the hotel? Just curious.... Thanks all!
Ohh my gosh... I just read another thread which answered my question. Sorry!!!
Old 04-28-2013, 05:24 PM   #2845
kohler2009
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicPrincess View Post

I should add that we didn't start planning our trip until about 80 days out, so to try to get BOG or Ohana is next to impossible- unless I want to eat at bedtime I was hoping they could work some magic, but with that little time I totally understand.
The CM's are great- and they have always been very prompt with their responses back to me.
So glad I decided to let the IPO make my ADRs this morning! Got everything I wanted within 20 minutes and confirmation was in my inbox by the time I woke up this morning. Which worked great, because DS decided to sleep in and so did I! Now...what to plan next... :-)

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Old 04-28-2013, 05:48 PM   #2846
Dr Ken
Don't want to "earn" my ears. I'm retired!

Just checked into GF Sugarloaf Key (CL).

We're on the. 3rd floor with a pool view. With effort we can see CR and the top of Space Mountain from our porch. The fence around the pool blends in nicely. Quite a distance to VGF.

Had diner at GF Cafe.

Have enjoyed visiting 8 Disney theme parks (4 in FL, 2 in CA, 1 in Tokyo, and 1 in Paris)

Old 04-28-2013, 05:57 PM   #2847
BayGirl22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_Princess83 View Post
Thanks for the reply I'll call them when we are a few weeks out and talk to them. I don't want an updo, just some curls ect. It's strange, all the different countries ways of doing things. Here in Australia, a hairdresser will always do a full shampoo and condition before doing any styling unless you specifically ask them not to wash it. Thanks for letting me know. I'll have had a hair cut a few weeks prior so it won't need a cut, just the styling.
Its typical in the US to get a shampoo before cut and styling too. But I've always been told that Up-Do's stay better and are easier to create if your hair is "one day dirty". So I think that's what was referred to above. If you are looking for a true up-do then they won't wash it. For a regular blow out or curls type styling I would expect a wash. (Some lower end salons may not include blow dry but I'd expect someplace nice like GF to dry)
Old 04-28-2013, 06:01 PM   #2848
BayGirl22
DIS Veteran

Conference Ticket Question

Wondering if someone here can answer this. I'm going to GF for a conference and decided to buy our Parkhoppers through Disney at the conference rate, much better deal for us than all the other sources. So I bought them on the conference site but used the "Will Call" option and it says I need to get them at Guest Services. Will the GF front desk be able to give them to us when we check in, or do we need to go to a Park's Guest Services or the Transportation and Ticketing Center? I hope not to have to go to the TCC, we're going to AK the first day.

Also I'm pretty sure I read we can redeem our Photopass+ voucher at the GF's photo shop. Can anyone confirm that? I want to get as much done as possible the night we check in!

2 weeks from today we arrive!!!!!! I Can.Not.Wait!
TIA
Old 04-28-2013, 10:27 PM   #2849
Rhongepooh
I must ponder this news

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayGirl22 View Post

Its typical in the US to get a shampoo before cut and styling too. But I've always been told that Up-Do's stay better and are easier to create if your hair is "one day dirty". So I think that's what was referred to above. If you are looking for a true up-do then they won't wash it. For a regular blow out or curls type styling I would expect a wash. (Some lower end salons may not include blow dry but I'd expect someplace nice like GF to dry)
I have 2 DD and the hairdressers always told us the same thing.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:34 PM   #2850
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Ken View Post
Just checked into GF Sugarloaf Key (CL).

We're on the. 3rd floor with a pool view. With effort we can see CR and the top of Space Mountain from our porch. The fence around the pool blends in nicely. Quite a distance to VGF.

Had diner at GF Cafe.
We love GF Cafe! Sounds like a nice room location!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayGirl22 View Post
Wondering if someone here can answer this. I'm going to GF for a conference and decided to buy our Parkhoppers through Disney at the conference rate, much better deal for us than all the other sources. So I bought them on the conference site but used the "Will Call" option and it says I need to get them at Guest Services. Will the GF front desk be able to give them to us when we check in, or do we need to go to a Park's Guest Services or the Transportation and Ticketing Center? I hope not to have to go to the TCC, we're going to AK the first day.

Also I'm pretty sure I read we can redeem our Photopass+ voucher at the GF's photo shop. Can anyone confirm that? I want to get as much done as possible the night we check in!

2 weeks from today we arrive!!!!!! I Can.Not.Wait!
TIA
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you have to go to the Guest Service at a park. M k would be easy enough.

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: