Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 11:21 PM   #3121
ahsquared
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmears

They let us in a bit early so that we got to the Carsland rope drop at about the same time as the front people from the main gates. It was just easier and more convenient for us to use the hotel entrance, since it's shady and there were benches to sit on.

We upgraded on checkin. I asked if anything was available (and said that I would pay for it -- can't stand it when people ask for free upgrades). I was told yes and that it was $150 plus tax. Pricey, but it was really convenient.

We really didn't regret it, but someday we may try it out. This was a really short trip for us. Every time we walked back and forth we were happy with our choice. My DD grew up going to the GCH so she actually prefers it anyway. Plus I really like the pool area there. I booked a courtyard/woods view room and I kept that view but was up on the 6th floor with concierge. I believe they said that there were standard views available. Neither was available online when I checked (just park view CL).
Thanks!
ahsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:07 PM   #3122
hurleysweety
DISPrincess in Training
Makes a mean Monte Cristo

Just booked the GCH for three nights to celebrate our Five Year Anniversary! We stayed for one night on our one year anniversary in 2009 and were upgraded to a corner suite overlooking the pool and DCA. We stayed a couple nights again later in 2009, but I was sick.

Just got APs again and we are ready for a great year ahead with them! Such great, great memories and we are so excited to return.

Does anyone know where I could find a list of the activities that are offered to hotel guests, like the yoga/pilates class or the early morning walk around DCA?
Past Trips: WDW: Feb 1997 BWI, June 2008 *Honeymoon!*, May 2010 OKW & POR *2-year anniversary*, May 2011 OKW/BWV *3-year anniversary*, October 2011 VWL & POP DLR: 1994, Thanksgiving 2003 Portofino Suites, Oct. 2004, Oct. 2005, Nov. 2006 Carousel Inn, May 2007 Fairfield Inn, May 2009 DH Bday Trip Marriott Suites Anaheim, May 2009 *1-year anniversary*, GCH Suite, June 2009 Worldmark, Sept 2009 PPH, December 2009 Holiday Inn Anaheim Resort, April 2010 Holiday Inn Anaheim Resort, January 2011 Staybridge, September 2011 Red Lion, June 2012 Hilton Anaheim *4-year anniversary (celebrated late), Oct 2012 Ayres Anaheim, May 2013 GCH *5-year anniversary*, Sept 2013 Red Lion, Nov 2013 (1 Day Trip) Red Lion, Dec 2013 *Club 33* Castle Inn DCL:October 2013 - HalloWonder (Halloween) Cruise - Wonder 7 Night Bahamas from Galveston
hurleysweety is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-28-2013, 05:16 PM   #3123
Cinderpamela
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleysweety
Does anyone know where I could find a list of the activities that are offered to hotel guests, like the yoga/pilates class or the early morning walk around DCA?
The Grand Californian Super thread front page (page 1) has the info about activities and such, check it out:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....nd+californian

you should be able to find a schedule under the misc. tab

2014-November-Disneyland VGC 2013-Christmas at Aulani2012-November-Grand Cali 2012-July-Aulani 2011-1st trip to WDW-Christmas at Wilderness Lodge! 2010-Christmas-time@DLR and CLUB 33!! 2009-Christmas-time @ DLR 2008-Birthday @DLR 2007-PPH @ DLR
2005-DLH 1st Family Trip to DLR 1991-Spring Break Disneyland 1973-First trip to Disneyland
Cinderpamela is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:07 PM   #3124
hurleysweety
DISPrincess in Training
Makes a mean Monte Cristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderpamela View Post
The Grand Californian Super thread front page (page 1) has the info about activities and such, check it out:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....nd+californian

you should be able to find a schedule under the misc. tab
Oh I must have missed that link. Thanks so much!
Past Trips: WDW: Feb 1997 BWI, June 2008 *Honeymoon!*, May 2010 OKW & POR *2-year anniversary*, May 2011 OKW/BWV *3-year anniversary*, October 2011 VWL & POP DLR: 1994, Thanksgiving 2003 Portofino Suites, Oct. 2004, Oct. 2005, Nov. 2006 Carousel Inn, May 2007 Fairfield Inn, May 2009 DH Bday Trip Marriott Suites Anaheim, May 2009 *1-year anniversary*, GCH Suite, June 2009 Worldmark, Sept 2009 PPH, December 2009 Holiday Inn Anaheim Resort, April 2010 Holiday Inn Anaheim Resort, January 2011 Staybridge, September 2011 Red Lion, June 2012 Hilton Anaheim *4-year anniversary (celebrated late), Oct 2012 Ayres Anaheim, May 2013 GCH *5-year anniversary*, Sept 2013 Red Lion, Nov 2013 (1 Day Trip) Red Lion, Dec 2013 *Club 33* Castle Inn DCL:October 2013 - HalloWonder (Halloween) Cruise - Wonder 7 Night Bahamas from Galveston
hurleysweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:59 PM   #3125
gerilyne
Mouseketeer

My husband and I have booked our first visit where we are staying at the Grand Californian Hotel. We booked a premium view and I am wondering what the chances are of getting one with the king bed? It is just the two of us so we wouldn't need 2 queens or the bunk beds.

Are the king rooms located in a certain part of the hotel?

90 days and counting....

Disney World Trips
twice in the 1970s, once in the 1980s, July 1991
gerilyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:14 PM   #3126
Nonsuch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerilyne View Post
Are the king rooms located in a certain part of the hotel?
King beds are spread throughout the hotel and are available for all view types, but it is a rare room type. I always request a king bed, but have usually been unsuccessful.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:40 PM   #3127
ParkHopper1
Mouseketeer

I would call and have them put a "note" on your reservation. I know that I have arrived more then once and been assigned a King when i requested and needed double queens and had to fight to get out of the King. I would suspect that the doubles are a higher demand.

The fact that they can not guarantee room types...or at least number of beds is absolutely ABSURD and has caused me to stay off site more then once as I have been on trips with friends that I am willing to share a room with..but not a BED!...and they would not guarantee double beds.
ParkHopper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:34 PM   #3128
twinspirit
Mouseketeer

What times do the pools typically open/close? And do they have food/beverage services? And...are there plenty of loungers or is there a urgency to claim one?
twinspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #3129
Nonsuch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinspirit View Post
What times do the pools typically open/close?
Oddly, the hours are not listed on any paperwork from a recent visit

Quote:
...are there plenty of loungers or is there a urgency to claim one?
I don't use the pool, but had a room overlooking the pools in May. It was surprising to see how busy the pools were, even though the parks were not too busy and it was not very hot. During the summer, it would be a good idea to "claim" a lounger early.

May 19 at 4PM: (rental cabanas are the square "tents" on the left)
Old 07-03-2013, 07:38 PM   #3130
Disneyland1084
OH PLEASE SOMEBODY TELL ME!
I'm not going to let that chickenhead nugget bother me
HEY!! Where is everyone?

Quote:
What times do the pools typically open/close? And do they have food/beverage services? And...are there plenty of loungers or is there a urgency to claim one?
During my stays at the Grand Californian, I remember the pools closing at 10 pm. I think they open at 8 am.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:37 AM   #3131
Mabel67
Mouseketeer

Hi! I am planning one night on a Thursday mid-September. I would like to check in asap so that we may make the EMH that day. I understand that our room will not likely be ready that early, but that I may still get the key to access the park for EMH. Is this correct?

Also, how busy is the check-in desk that early in the morning? For example, if the park opens at 9am, EMH is at 8am, what time should I plan on being at the check-in desk to then get in line about 30 minutes before park opening? If park opens an hour earlier, would the same general time rules apply, or would it likely be less busy the hour earlier?

I know that front desks can be quite busy in the morning, and I don't want to lose the EMH by standing in line at the hotel!

So, when staying one night, I can use EMH for two mornings if I get there early enough the day of check-in, correct?

Is parking still $15/night?

Finally, what time is check-out?

Thanks!
Mabel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #3132
babyatlas
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabel67 View Post
Hi! I am planning one night on a Thursday mid-September. I would like to check in asap so that we may make the EMH that day. I understand that our room will not likely be ready that early, but that I may still get the key to access the park for EMH. Is this correct?

Also, how busy is the check-in desk that early in the morning? For example, if the park opens at 9am, EMH is at 8am, what time should I plan on being at the check-in desk to then get in line about 30 minutes before park opening? If park opens an hour earlier, would the same general time rules apply, or would it likely be less busy the hour earlier?

I know that front desks can be quite busy in the morning, and I don't want to lose the EMH by standing in line at the hotel!

So, when staying one night, I can use EMH for two mornings if I get there early enough the day of check-in, correct?

Is parking still $15/night?

Finally, what time is check-out?

Thanks!
yes you can access the park with the EMH both days - the day you arrive and the day you depart. we did this a couple of months ago. our EMH was at 8am. i was in line by 7 but wish i had been in line at 6:30. check-in took FOREVER. there were only two people working check-in and each person/group took about 20 minutes. we didn't get to go into the park until 8:30 which means we missed about 1/2 of our EMH. parking was $15 per night in may. check-out, if memory serves, was at 11am but we were granted a late check-out of 1 without a problem. ENJOY!
babyatlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:23 AM   #3133
Mabel67
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyatlas View Post
yes you can access the park with the EMH both days - the day you arrive and the day you depart. we did this a couple of months ago. our EMH was at 8am. i was in line by 7 but wish i had been in line at 6:30. check-in took FOREVER. there were only two people working check-in and each person/group took about 20 minutes. we didn't get to go into the park until 8:30 which means we missed about 1/2 of our EMH. parking was $15 per night in may. check-out, if memory serves, was at 11am but we were granted a late check-out of 1 without a problem. ENJOY!
Thank you so much for the information! I will definitely get there early early!
Mabel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #3134
lucysmom
DIS Veteran

I am thinking that a woods view room would be perfect for our Christmas holiday. Does anyone have any photos? On another thread, someone posted their shot. It was of the tree area around Grizzly. It was practically the same view we had with our premium theme park view last year.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:45 PM   #3135
babyatlas
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucysmom View Post
I am thinking that a woods view room would be perfect for our Christmas holiday. Does anyone have any photos? On another thread, someone posted their shot. It was of the tree area around Grizzly. It was practically the same view we had with our premium theme park view last year.
while i don't have any photos we have LOVED our woods view. we have stayed twice and had this view both times. it's quiet and sitting on the balcony in the morning or evening is just peaceful. you can hear some of the distant noises from the park or downtown disney but it's great after the sensory overload all day.
babyatlas is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: