Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 07:48 PM   #601
PaGaLaGirl
Earning My Ears

I am sure most of you have done the goofy. Am I wrong in thinking I really wouldn't have to change up my training plan too much from that as long as I don't push the 5k and 10 k too hard?
PaGaLaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:33 PM   #602
WhereInFlorida
More Disney = A better day

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaGaLaGirl View Post
I am sure most of you have done the goofy. Am I wrong in thinking I really wouldn't have to change up my training plan too much from that as long as I don't push the 5k and 10 k too hard?
Exactly. Most plans would have you running in the days leading up to the races to keep your focus. Recovery pace is what I would try to maintain. The difficulty will be that you will be in the taper and feeling really good for running 5 or 10k and think that you could push it faster than the pace you should go.
WhereInFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-24-2013, 08:41 PM   #603
PaGaLaGirl
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMGONNABE40! View Post

Same here--though skipping attempting this next year as I am still not 100% after an injury in December of last year. I think training for full in January would not be best for my recovery. That gives me plenty of time to gather 4 throw-away garments in case I need them for the 4 races! Can't get the Goofy 2010 weather out of my mind!
Please don't remind me about the weather in 2010. That was about the worst case scenario. Makes me wish I had the money for race retreat!
Old 04-24-2013, 10:18 PM   #604
PaGaLaGirl
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJackson09 View Post
So are any of you ladies going to Disney World and doing the Dopey by yourself? My husband and I are already going in November, so if I do the Dopey it might have to be a solo trip I've never gone solo before, haha.
I ran goofy solo in 2010 and will be dopey solo in 2014. I just chatted with folks along the way. It's too hard to bring the kids and relax between races.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:36 PM   #605
PaGaLaGirl
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJackson09 View Post

Maybe we should start a Dopey Solo Runners thread so we could all plan a meet up or something??
I second that motion
Old 04-25-2013, 02:08 AM   #606
rachlovestv
Mouseketeer

Quote:

I second that motion
I third it! I technically won't be there alone, as my parents are both coming to support me, but they are in their late 60s/70s, and no longer like to do a lot of the rides that I love, so I'm anticipating spending a good chunk of time solo. I'd love to meet up with people.
rachlovestv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:25 AM   #607
goofeygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Please don't remind me about the weather in 2010. That was about the worst case scenario. Makes me wish I had the money for race retreat!
What was the weather like?

The last couple of races I was in...one in Hawaii and one in Massachusettes were both massive major soaking downpours. Dark sky and the one in Massachuettes was freezing cold to boot.
I started out the races (half marathons) with soaking feet and a drenched head and then my mp3 player didn't work.
goofeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:41 AM   #608
Haas4Concern
Mouseketeer

Marathon weekend 2010 was super cold. I think it was like 28 degrees and raining/snowing that year. Disney on ice

2007 WDW 1/2 Marathon, 2012 WDW Marathon Relay, 2012 Inaugural Canton 1/2 Marathon, 2012 Ohio 2 Warrior Dash, 2012 Air Force Half Marathon, 2012 Wine & Dine, 2013 Goofy Challenge,Dumbo Double Dare 2013,Dopey Challenge 2014
Haas4Concern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:21 PM   #609
goofeygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haas4Concern View Post
Marathon weekend 2010 was super cold. I think it was like 28 degrees and raining/snowing that year. Disney on ice
It sounds sucky but at the same time...once you get started....I wonder about that one because this year it was dreadfully hot. Esp doing the full where it was really hot against that black pavement.

I know when the time comes I will pack a load of toss away clothes in case it does turn into Disney on Ice part two.
goofeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:54 PM   #610
Stroller Boy
'I think it was the immortal words of Socrates who said..I drank what?'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haas4Concern View Post
Cold indeed...I recall standing there in the parking lot prior to the half and actually said to my wife "well, at least it's not snowing..." The snow/sleet mix started 2 minutes after that. Ha! Honestly, I'd rather have that for the races and this past January's afternoon weather. Was too cold to really enjoy the parks in 2010 but being from CT the weather was fine for running.

I've run 6 marathons now and training for a Half Iron this June and I'm still not 100% sure how I want to train for Dopey...but my goal is going to be purely to have fun like I always do marathon Weekend. I think when it comes down to it, we are all of that mindset. Have to have a little bit of a competitive side, but it could just be with ourselves. No "Meb's" running this thing :-).
Old 04-28-2013, 10:23 AM   #611
HealthyDisneyGuide
always planning the next trip!

I raced the Kentucky Derby Mini (half) Marathon yesterday with just about my top effort for my current level of training. I'm in NO shape to go run a marathon today.

Guess I've got 8 months to get faster, lighter, & stronger for Dopey and those back-to-back training runs will help me work out how much I'll need to back off for the 10K and half so I can survive the full?
HealthyDisneyGuide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:52 AM   #612
Terapin
DIS Veteran

My plan will be to take the 5 and 10 very, very conservatively. Like, maybe walking them. I hate walking. But I don't want to take a chance of injuring myself, and I want to keep my legs fresh for the half and the full.

I predict that the 5k will be a breeze (like a walk in the parks, but shorter! )

The 10k will be another easy run/walk: flat and fast. But I will be worried around 3/4 knowing how many miles are ahead of me!

Waking up for the HM will suck so terribly! 3rd morning in a row, with some serious miles in for the day. This is the most important race to dress well for! These shoes and outfit must be perfect so there is no chafing, blisters, etc. And as soon as the race is done I plan on hydrating, hydrating, hydrating like crazy and refuelling really well. Ice bath, short nap, easy day.

Waking up for the full should be a bit better as it is now habit! It will feel good to have the last race almost underway, but nerve-wracking just the same. I plan on taking Tylenol when I wake up and throughout the race - LOL

My plan is to train well, and really do some of the things that there is good science for in hydration, nutrition and recovery. I want to finish!

2014 Princess GSC! BLT/VGF/DCL stay
2014 Determined to do Dopey! BWV stay

Terapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:02 PM   #613
crewmatt
DIS Veteran

I'm thinking I'm going to try to do the 5k, 10k, and the half all at around marathon pace. And then see how long I can hold on in the marathon. I'm going to try to train to have a tempo run and a long run on consecutive days

crewmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:07 PM   #614
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

I actually think the trickiest part will be the sleep/nutrition balance. I know for a fact I can run the miles.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at POR!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:29 PM   #615
DOOM1001
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofeygirl View Post
It sounds sucky but at the same time...once you get started....I wonder about that one because this year it was dreadfully hot. Esp doing the full where it was really hot against that black pavement.

I know when the time comes I will pack a load of toss away clothes in case it does turn into Disney on Ice part two.

I know I live in South Florida so I'm used to hot temps but I ran the full marathon this year and at least for me it was just slightly warm,and that was during the later miles.I remember on the way to MK it actually felt like they turned on the A/C for a short while and even around AK it was pretty comfortable.I'm really hoping the 2014 marathon weekend has a lot of nice sunny days with highs of 65 and lows of 50.If there's a repeat of 2010 getting from the hotel to the starting line and waiting for the start would probably be harder than running the marathon,at least for me.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: