Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2013, 03:29 PM   #1
ThisIsBrenn
Mouseketeer

Question Do you still pay your school's tuition while on the DCP?

I'm currently in the college selection process and I already know that I want to study abroad for one semester AND do the Disney College Program for one semester. Cost might be an issue depending on which school I pick. So I'm wondering, do you still pay your school's tuition for the semester you're in Disney, or is it like taking off a semester for an internship? Thanks!
ThisIsBrenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:38 PM   #2
surferdude
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsBrenn View Post
I'm currently in the college selection process and I already know that I want to study abroad for one semester AND do the Disney College Program for one semester. Cost might be an issue depending on which school I pick. So I'm wondering, do you still pay your school's tuition for the semester you're in Disney, or is it like taking off a semester for an internship? Thanks!
At least at my college it comes down to whether you want credit for doing the CP. If you wanted the credit hours, you had to take an internship course worth x amount of credits. This requires you to be an active student and pay tuition (either full time rates or just that many credit hours if that is the only "course" you were taking). Good Luck!
surferdude is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-21-2013, 12:50 AM   #3
lego606
Mouseketeer

I'm paying only the tuition rate for 6 credits. Because I go to a state school it's something like $3,000.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:44 AM   #4
jobro912
Mouseketeer

I think it really varies from school to school. At my son's school, some are getting internship credit for the program, some aren't. It depends on the department. Hospitality majors for instance will get credit...he is a theatre major and his department will not give credit for the program. He does want to maintain enrollment, so he will be taking at least 6 hours online while in the program.
jobro912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:37 PM   #5
ArielinWonderland
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lego606 View Post
I'm paying only the tuition rate for 6 credits. Because I go to a state school it's something like $3,000.
What are you getting credits for??

When I did my first program, I took a leave of absence for the semester, and did not pay any tuition. My school does not recognize the credit from any of the otherwise credit-bearing CP courses, and I didn't need any specific internship credits.

ArielinWonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:33 PM   #6
Elle84UGA
Earning My Ears

As a former CP participant/CM, I opted to get credit from my school (Northwestern) for my participation, so I still had to pay the same hourly tuition rates for the applicable courses to have my WDW CP count as eligible hours. Also, a note if it bears importance on your financial aid, if you have to maintain full- or part-time status because of financial aid, the Disney courses that you take at WDW will NOT count toward the National Student Clearinghouse for purposes as identifying whether you are a full- or part-time student. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck! I had a lot of fun, and it was a great experience for me!!!
Old 04-23-2013, 09:55 AM   #7
::Snow_White::
Harry Potter =
They're not as unpredictable as house elves like Dobby!

Depends on your school. I can't get credits for the CP but I have to stay in school to get my financial aid to help pay for the Spring so I'll be taking 12 credit hours online and still paying tuition this fall.

First Disneyland Trip: November 2014!
'99--ASMo // '02--ASMo // '07--Pop // '10--POFQ & Pop
'12--CBR // '12--AOA & Pop // '13--POR & CSR // '13 AOA, POP, & BC
Fall 2013 Merchandise Disney College Program Cast Member!
::Snow_White:: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:04 AM   #8
kellydizfan
DIS Veteran

My DD goes to Hofstra and she starts DCP 8/12/13. She is a sophomore in the fall. They told her it was better not to take a leave of absence from school. She receives 9 Internship credits from the school and has to take an independent study course with one of her professors for another 3 credits to be a full-time student plus work at Disney. She will also graduate on time as she had college credits for her major classes when she was a senior in high school. So she is paying for the semester as if she was there.
OKW 8/11-8/16/13, CSR 12/8-12/13/13, POP 8/24/11-8/31/11, Nick Hotel 8/4/09-8/6/09, POR 7/28/09-8/4/09-DS B-day, Eastern DCL 4/08, Europe 3/08, Hawaii Cruise 07, OKW 3/07, AKL 8/06, Europe 4/06, BCV & SSR 10/04, BCV 2/03 & DVC Cruise, POR 5/02, CBR 5/96, CBR 5/91, DL 8/87, Offsite 83 & 75
kellydizfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:47 AM   #9
lego606
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArielinWonderland View Post
What are you getting credits for??

When I did my first program, I took a leave of absence for the semester, and did not pay any tuition. My school does not recognize the credit from any of the otherwise credit-bearing CP courses, and I didn't need any specific internship credits.
I'm getting them as UNI 290 University-Wide Internship
Old 04-28-2013, 04:58 PM   #10
ThisIsBrenn
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the help everyone, that cleared things up!
ThisIsBrenn is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: