DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 08:33 PM   #16
kreckl
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all of the replies. I'm definitely going to check out the calculator- that's great!
kreckl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:28 PM   #17
Sandisw

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreckl View Post
We have two adults, and a ten year old. We like the dining plan- last trip didnt do it, but loaded some gift card with hundreds for meals, and kept having it shrink
We like a character meal, going to the Hoop...
In Sept, a moderate resort for 220-250 with dining seems good. It would cost us $150+ a day for it.
Staying on points, we could get our park tickets cheaper, but would have sofa bed all week and since we'll only get a studio will be eating out for almost all meals.
I've changed my mind a hundred times!
Did you figure in the cost of 2 day tickets for each of you? To get free dining you must purchase theses. They can be saved for another trip if you already have tickets.

Sandisw is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-27-2013, 10:54 PM   #18
DizBub
Totally Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandisw View Post
Did you figure in the cost of 2 day tickets for each of you? To get free dining you must purchase theses. They can be saved for another trip if you already have tickets.
Great point! Another hidden cost.

Just like the previous poster mentioned tipping.
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:24 PM   #19
sweetdana
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We are coming in Sept- already booked the flight! Now I'm trying to decide if we should stay all 8 nights on points, or pay/stay at a moderate for a few to help with dining expenses.
Does anybody do that- or have any thoughts? My head is spinning with all of the possibilities and price break-downs.
Thanks in advance!
I love split stays. If you don't have extra points stay 3 or 4 nights ( beg to get tickets) then switch over. Get the most expensive while on do then relax more last few days. You should be able to get your character dining in, " free" with only 220 ish a night n save say 20/25 points a night. We love doing this, haven't in a bit but if our dates worked out and dd1 was well.. Not 1 we would again. We stopped when dvc offered pick your days of dining and will go back when newest dd is easier to move. Maybe 3/4 yrs old.

sweetdana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:41 PM   #20
mybabesuz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
one more thing- we are not big fans of the sofa beds, and a hotel would give us 2 beds....
Two Double Beds. They are small.
We stayed at Old Key West once and the kids cried that they liked the sofa bed better.

The Dining Plan would only cost $166.77 a day.
The cheapest room would be $195 a night.

I personally don't find the dining plan a bargain for adults.
We still use it sometimes but we still have 2 kids under 10.
We will stop using it once they are 10.
mybabesuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:39 AM   #21
DizBub
Totally Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybabesuz View Post
We stayed at Old Key West once and the kids cried that they liked the sofa bed better.
That may have been before they switched out the mattresses when they did the refurb. I've heard the OKW beds were hard but we have stayed several times since the refurb and all beds have been comfortable.
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:17 AM   #22
JamesA1
Mouseketeer

When staying on point you have the option to add the dining plan to your stay.

Keep in mind that some restaurants offer DVC/AP member discounts assuming you have one or the other. That is what helped me to make a final decisions for my September trip since all my choices were discounted. For me the only change was that now a few meals will be lunch versus dinner and will not have to try and work in a lot of table service meals to take full advantage of the plan.
JamesA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:03 AM   #23
sweetdana
DIS Veteran

Quote:

for 50$ a night you save the points.. though I agree with your math. It is only not a steal, if you have so many points you are not, renting/transferring in points, or in borrowing mode, or on the threshold of buying more points.

I personally am always short, so it is a way to for 50$ a day get a resort room at a moderate. ... and get a partial dining plan instead of the whole stay or nothing..

***I also think the room rates were closer to 225 a night, but I haven't look at her dates/weekends/recently only off memory from maybe 2 yrs ago. still it would still be under 60$ a night for the difference. (assuming you are buying tickets and getting DP anyway.. You will also end up with 2 sets of mugs if you split and go to 2 different resorts.. )

sweetdana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:15 PM   #24
k3chantal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We are coming in Sept- already booked the flight! Now I'm trying to decide if we should stay all 8 nights on points, or pay/stay at a moderate for a few to help with dining expenses.
Does anybody do that- or have any thoughts? My head is spinning with all of the possibilities and price break-downs.
Thanks in advance!
What about purchasing the TiW card and getting 20% off at most of the restaurants? We literally save hundreds when we buy it.

Also, if you stay with points and have at least a one bedroom, you can eat meals in the room. We always have breakfast in the villa.

It does concern me that you have booked your flight first. You may find yourself paying for a hotel room just because you can't find a resort you want to use your points on during those exacts dates.
k3chantal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:30 PM   #25
kreckl
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all of the replies...
I booked the flight, because we got an amazing deal and didn't want to lose it ( $580 for 3 nonstop tix from Boston). I ended up booking what I never said I would do-3 resorts! We really wanted Bay Lake, and it became available but only for 2 nights. Our second choice was to try the WL for the first time ( well, not my choice but I was outnumbered) and that was available the last 2 nights. We have the AKJ in between. I was getting nervous that we wouldn't get anything!
We always do a split stay with 2 resorts- love that- and have done 3 once before. It will force me to be careful with packing
I think we will get TIW after all, but will have to check out that calculator. I started watching the video but haven't figured it all out.
Last year we saved 40% on our park tickets doing a DY program, but it's different now so the savings isn't much. I will have to price AAA too, and may get the DP for part of our stay because its definitely worth considering if we do some expensive dinners. I think we now have the option of getting it 3 different ways.???
Old 05-08-2013, 02:34 PM   #26
k3chantal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for all of the replies...
I booked the flight, because we got an amazing deal and didn't want to lose it ( $580 for 3 nonstop tix from Boston). I ended up booking what I never said I would do-3 resorts! We really wanted Bay Lake, and it became available but only for 2 nights. Our second choice was to try the WL for the first time ( well, not my choice but I was outnumbered) and that was available the last 2 nights. We have the AKJ in between. I was getting nervous that we wouldn't get anything!
We always do a split stay with 2 resorts- love that- and have done 3 once before. It will force me to be careful with packing
I think we will get TIW after all, but will have to check out that calculator. I started watching the video but haven't figured it all out.
Last year we saved 40% on our park tickets doing a DY program, but it's different now so the savings isn't much. I will have to price AAA too, and may get the DP for part of our stay because its definitely worth considering if we do some expensive dinners. I think we now have the option of getting it 3 different ways.???
Glad you could piece together a stay!! We have stayed at three resorts in one trip. VWL, Vero Beach, AKL. It is doable. I fell in love with VWL after that trip!!
k3chantal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:46 PM   #27
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:

Not double beds at OKW. They are queen sized beds.

POR and CSR both have queen sized beds now, too. Not sure about POFQ, but CBR only has double sized beds still.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:53 PM   #28
boiseflyfisher
I'm curious, too

Don't forget that TIW also gives you a discount on alcoholic beverages. If you like a drink with dinner, you can add that savings on to your total savings.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:21 PM   #29
sgtpet
DIS Veteran

Having the annual pass it is not an option for free dining then. I am happy with TIW any how. The dining plan has gone downhill in my opinion since its early days.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:06 PM   #30
kreckl
Mouseketeer

Thanks!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: