Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013, 10:37 AM   #16
RadioNate
DIS Veteran
 
RadioNate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 10,597

I guess I just tend to see the best in people, I don't automatically think that everyone is out to take advantage. If she hasn't been coming I'm not positive just having the notes will even help all that much.

The OP can do whatever, it wasn't clear to me in the 1st post if it was a student registered with disability services or not or if it was part of her job.

But I don't automatically assume "gift grab" and all the other things that people post about her. Give them if you want, don't if you feel you are being taken advantage of.
__________________
Me DS DD
RadioNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:52 AM   #17
laura.anne
Mouseketeer
 
laura.anne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgh View Post
Background...I'm the "note taker" for one of the classes at my university (for those students that have registered with disability services). I type up my notes after every class and send them over to those students that I have record. In order to get the notes, students have to attend class regularly, pay attention, etc etc.

There is one girl in my class who missed a day or two earlier in the year and I happily forwarded her the notes for those days since I already had them typed out anyway. No big deal. She just emailing me asking for the notes for the entire month of April (our final is next Wednesday, May 1). Usually when someone asks me for notes they give a reason (I was sick and have documentation, I had a family emergency, even I just slept it...) but I didn't get anything from her. She just sent me a 1 sentence email asking for the notes.

She seems like a nice girl...and maybe there's something going on where she can't make it to class, but I really don't know what to do. I can send her the notes...but then I feel like I'm just letting her get a "free ride"...if she never attended class that isn't my problem, she should have just dropped the class...she won't always have people there for her who can just send her a month's worth of work... but on the other side I don't want her to fail either. Not really entirely sure what to do. What would you do?
Hey are you at UGA (noticing your location)? Me too (if you are) I was a notetaker for Disability Services a few semesters ago and this same thing happened to me so many times I lost count, except for me it was people who definitely just couldn't be bothered to come, so my excuse was "Disability pays me to create notes for these students, so I feel uncomfortable giving them out to other people." In this situation that's probably what I'd do. If she were extremely ill or had a family hardship she would have withdrawn by now because I believe they make exceptions to WP/WF rules in those cases.
laura.anne is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-28-2013, 10:58 AM   #18
Coonhound
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 544

Your job is not to provide notes for your class. Your job is to provide a specific service to students who meet criteria set forth by the university's office of disability services.

It is not up to you to determine who meets the criteria, that's up to disability services- but it is also not up to you to decide that someone DOES meet it either. I would just let the office of disability services handle it..what I mean is, you can just email her:

"I work for the office of disability services and I am instructed to provide notes for students who have registered with them and meet certain criteria to be assigned a note taker. I didn't get your name on my list of students, if this was an oversight please call the office of disability services at 555-5555 and we'll try to get it worked out."
Honestly that's all I'd say and I'd leave it at that.

I used to be a note taker as well as doing other work for my university's Office of Disability Services and yes other students DO try to take advantage of services that you are providing to students with disabilities.
They see or hear about you taking notes and giving them to people and they think "awesome, I'll try to get the notes from her and then I don't have to go to class."
Now she may have something that makes it difficult for her, such as dyslexia or anything else but that is not really any of your business, if she starts giving you reasons why she needs your notes I would just refer her to disability services.

Privacy was SO important when I worked for them- when they gave me a list of students who I would take notes for, they did not even tell ME the reason WHY the student needed me. I never knew the student's individual disabilities. I was only providing a service, but the reason why they needed the service was between them and disability services, I was not told any of that due to their right to privacy.
I was also told not to tell anyone else the names on my list. For example I couldn't tell someone, "I'm taking notes for Jen, Rob and Andy, because they're registered with disability services." You know?

So with the girl I wouldn't give out info I would just email her back the part I typed in purple letters are leave it at that.
If she does need the service, then she needs to talk to them about that and not you.
If she doesn't need the service, then she will realize you are not the class note taker. lol
Coonhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:04 AM   #19
Hollywoodhaha
After all this time? Always
Mad Hatter It's a love story, Baby just say yes
 
Hollywoodhaha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mad as a hatter
Posts: 3,747

I wouldn't send them..
__________________

WDW College Program Alumni: Spring Advantage 2012 merchandise & Fall 2013 Space Mountain


Hollywoodhaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:21 AM   #20
I loveStitchnippyjon
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Central New York
Posts: 1,648

Agree with other posters. Tell her "I only provide notes to those listed on the disability list".
I loveStitchnippyjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:24 AM   #21
Kellydelly
DIS Veteran
 
Kellydelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,782

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coonhound View Post
you can just email her:

"I work for the office of disability services and I am instructed to provide notes for students who have registered with them and meet certain criteria to be assigned a note taker. I didn't get your name on my list of students, if this was an oversight please call the office of disability services at 555-5555 and we'll try to get it worked out."
Honestly that's all I'd say and I'd leave it at that.

This is perfect! I had a fellow classmate in nursing school who would type up notes from our powerpoints and lectures and share them with a few of us before exams. I was not one of her buddies, so I appreciated being included in the few who she gave them to. I never missed a day of class nor didn't take notes myself, hers were just organized in a way that made it easier to study . I would not share notes with someone who you can see doesn't seem to have made an effort, nor are you friends with.
Kellydelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:25 AM   #22
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron
 
Disney  Doll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Too far from WDW!! :(
Posts: 28,938

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coonhound View Post
Your job is not to provide notes for your class. Your job is to provide a specific service to students who meet criteria set forth by the university's office of disability services.

It is not up to you to determine who meets the criteria, that's up to disability services- but it is also not up to you to decide that someone DOES meet it either. I would just let the office of disability services handle it..what I mean is, you can just email her:

"I work for the office of disability services and I am instructed to provide notes for students who have registered with them and meet certain criteria to be assigned a note taker. I didn't get your name on my list of students, if this was an oversight please call the office of disability services at 555-5555 and we'll try to get it worked out."
Honestly that's all I'd say and I'd leave it at that.

I used to be a note taker as well as doing other work for my university's Office of Disability Services and yes other students DO try to take advantage of services that you are providing to students with disabilities.
They see or hear about you taking notes and giving them to people and they think "awesome, I'll try to get the notes from her and then I don't have to go to class."
Now she may have something that makes it difficult for her, such as dyslexia or anything else but that is not really any of your business, if she starts giving you reasons why she needs your notes I would just refer her to disability services.

Privacy was SO important when I worked for them- when they gave me a list of students who I would take notes for, they did not even tell ME the reason WHY the student needed me. I never knew the student's individual disabilities. I was only providing a service, but the reason why they needed the service was between them and disability services, I was not told any of that due to their right to privacy.
I was also told not to tell anyone else the names on my list. For example I couldn't tell someone, "I'm taking notes for Jen, Rob and Andy, because they're registered with disability services." You know?

So with the girl I wouldn't give out info I would just email her back the part I typed in purple letters are leave it at that.
If she does need the service, then she needs to talk to them about that and not you.
If she doesn't need the service, then she will realize you are not the class note taker. lol
I would do this.
I assume this is a paid job that you don't want to lose.
In that case I wouldn't do something to jeopardize it. If giving your notes out to anyone and everyone would jeopardize your job, then don't do it.
Give this student the explanation stated above and leave it at that.

If she persists, your next statement is "This is my job and I don't want to do anything to jeopardize my job and consequently my income. If you think you qualify based on disability, then get on my list and I'll happily provide you with the notes."

Here's the deal OP. Why she needs the notes isn't any of your concern. Why she missed class for a month isn't any of your concern.

Your concern is what do you have to do to keep your job. Your job is between you & the office of disability services. I wouldn't involve anyone else, including the professor. It's simple....to quailfy for getting your notes, the student has tp be registered with the office of disability services. If she's not registered, she doesn't get them. If she is registered, then you figure out the snafu as to why she's not on your list and you get her on your list and she gets them. If she should be on the list and she's not, this gives her the impetus to get herself on the list.
__________________
Disney Doll
Prepare your child for the path, not the path for your child.
Stop telling your God how big the storm is. Instead, tell the storm how big your God is.
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:49 AM   #23
jgh
Peter Pan!
 
jgh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Athens, GA...461 miles from WDW!
Posts: 571

Quote:
OP are you a registered student in the class yourself (taking it for credit yourself?) If so, how is this different than dealing with a request from any classmate who asks to borrow notes? (That still happens right?) She probably asked you because she knows you are conscientious, take good notes, and type them up.

So just make your decision based on that and decide if you want to give them to her (if you are a fellow student and not just in the class as part of your job). Do you want to help someone who has skipped a lot of classes or do you not?
Yes, I am a registered student. All I do is send my notes to those in class that need them. It isn't really any different from other's asking for my notes, which is the main reason I started the thread. From my experience, people tend to take advantage of the services. I highly doubt it would affect my "job" as a note taker if I sent them.

I don't ever mind helping anyone with a few days of notes. I've just never had anyone ask me for a month's worth. I guess the reason I made the thread was because I felt BAD about feeling angry with her for not attending class and having to send the notes...I also felt bad because I don't know her situation. Though I don't know why I should be angry. I guess I just feel like everyone should put in their own weight, but then again I still don't know her situation.

Quote:
Hey are you at UGA (noticing your location)? Me too (if you are) I was a notetaker for Disability Services a few semesters ago and this same thing happened to me so many times I lost count, except for me it was people who definitely just couldn't be bothered to come, so my excuse was "Disability pays me to create notes for these students, so I feel uncomfortable giving them out to other people." In this situation that's probably what I'd do. If she were extremely ill or had a family hardship she would have withdrawn by now because I believe they make exceptions to WP/WF rules in those cases.
Yea, it's at UGA. This is a smaller class, so I haven't had too many problems with people asking for notes (a few will send out an email to all the students in the class and I'll forward the notes), it just kind of caught me by surprise that someone would ask for a month's worth of notes. I figure if you're going to miss that much of class you really do need to speak with the teacher (in which case he would have spoken with me about sending her notes, as he has done before) or withdraw. But then again I don't know the situation.

Thanks so much for the input everyone. I know this is a rather awkward thread...but it was just something that frustrated me. I tend to see a lot of people that don't pay attention in other classes and ask for notes later. It's just frustrating. Life is frustrating. What can you do? I will talk to my professor in the morning and see what he thinks I should do.
__________________


jgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:06 PM   #24
DVCLiz
That's me - proud defender of the Mega roll
click here to use the trolldar
We saw "I pooted" and thought it was a "New York" thing!
 
DVCLiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 10,724

So let me make sure I understand. You took the notes and would have taken them under any circumstances. You don't think this will in any way affect your note taking job. You have the choice to be nice or nasty to this student - it really won't have any real-world consequences to you at all, just a matter of helping out this girl you think has skipped a lot of class.

Really, life's too short. I'd give her the notes and say You're Welcome if she says Thank You. Then move on.

I just think I'd regret being up on my high horse about it later on down the road.
DVCLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:18 PM   #25
Octoberbride03
I think Tweetie done gone Cuckoo
Been there, done that, married the man!
 
Octoberbride03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 7,855

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCLiz View Post
So let me make sure I understand. You took the notes and would have taken them under any circumstances. You don't think this will in any way affect your note taking job. You have the choice to be nice or nasty to this student - it really won't have any real-world consequences to you at all, just a matter of helping out this girl you think has skipped a lot of class.

Really, life's too short. I'd give her the notes and say You're Welcome if she says Thank You. Then move on.

I just think I'd regret being up on my high horse about it later on down the road.
What high horse

Its really not her job to provide notes for every single person in the room. When i was in college i used note takers for my hearing disability. Many times the note takers weren't even assigned to to the class. They got paid to take notes in the class FOR ME AND ONLY ME. I was the only 1 who got those notes. And i had to show on a regular basis to get them.

Life is short, and if i were the OP I'd use 1 of the nice statements given as examples and send it to the requesting student and move on. That particular student needs to learn a new phrase:
"Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine."
__________________
Maureen&Richard
Octoberbride03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:25 PM   #26
branv
The safety feature in my parents van was floor to ceiling shag carpet
If your clothes are cute enough, you can be forgiven for sensible shoes
 
branv's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: TX
Posts: 3,668

No, I wouldn't give her the notes. She's chosen to not attend class, and is now using you to make life easier for her.

I have a lot of experience with this. When I went back to school, I was a "do over" i.e. went to college at 18, never went to class, failed horribly due to plain and simple laziness. Went back as an older adult, worked my rear off. So I've been on both sides of the coin. I'd still never have done what that girl is doing. And when I was the hard-working student, well over a dozen times I had fellow students try to take advantage of that. My favorite was the person who sent an email the night before a test asking what chapters the test was over and if they could get the notes related to that test. Uh yeah...I don't think so. I never minded handing someone a few notes if they missed a few classes, or helping them edit a fairly complete paper (did that one A LOT), but it almost never ended with that. It almost always escalated. Inevitably, they expected me to do their work for them -- at some point, I don't consider this kind of thing much different than copying someone's answers on a worksheet.

This girl is an adult. If she is having problems that make it hard for her to get to class, she should have already spoken to the professor after the first few absences. If she has problems taking good notes, she could ask for help on organization and note taking. You likely work hard to be a successful student. They should try the same.

So no, don't give her the notes. Don't get mad, don't feel bad; just choose to not be taken advantage of.
branv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:32 PM   #27
DVCLiz
That's me - proud defender of the Mega roll
click here to use the trolldar
We saw "I pooted" and thought it was a "New York" thing!
 
DVCLiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 10,724

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberbride03 View Post
What high horse

Its really not her job to provide notes for every single person in the room. When i was in college i used note takers for my hearing disability. Many times the note takers weren't even assigned to to the class. They got paid to take notes in the class FOR ME AND ONLY ME. I was the only 1 who got those notes. And i had to show on a regular basis to get them.

Life is short, and if i were the OP I'd use 1 of the nice statements given as examples and send it to the requesting student and move on. That particular student needs to learn a new phrase:
"Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine."
The high horse that says, "I am making a moral judgement about your class attendance and punishing you because of it. I have what you need and I am choosing not to let you have it because I'm making a moral decision about your behavior."

Just my opinion - I'd just give her the notes, maybe roll my eyes, and firm up my policy for next semester. Either make it known that I only provide notes for the disabled students or charge others not on my approved list for the notes.

I just wouldn't make a moral decision about it - I'd just give her the notes and move on. You are allowed to have your own opinion about it, though - just like I am.
DVCLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:32 PM   #28
tasha99
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oregon coast
Posts: 3,525

I would give the notes and not worry about the reason or the other student's attendance unless the class is graded on a curve. It just wouldn't be worth my time to try to figure out if she "deserved" them or not. I would NOT get the professor involved as that smacks of tattleling, especially if attendance isn't taken. I guess I'm in the minority, though.
tasha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:34 PM   #29
DVCLiz
That's me - proud defender of the Mega roll
click here to use the trolldar
We saw "I pooted" and thought it was a "New York" thing!
 
DVCLiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 10,724

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasha99 View Post
I would give the notes and not worry about the reason or the other student's attendance unless the class is graded on a curve. It just wouldn't be worth my time to try to figure out if she "deserved" them or not. I would NOT get the professor involved as that smacks of tattleling, especially if attendance isn't taken. I guess I'm in the minority, though.
Me, too.

I'm just looking back on this from a perspective of thirty plus years out of college, thinking, "Gosh, that sounds like something I would have been bent out of shape about - I was pretty self-righteous in those days." Now I would just laugh at myself and think, "What a goody two shoes - why didn't I just give that poor girl the notes?"
DVCLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:39 PM   #30
RitaZ.
Move on don't hesitate
Breakout
 
RitaZ.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: FL
Posts: 11,136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coonhound View Post

"I work for the office of disability services and I am instructed to provide notes for students who have registered with them and meet certain criteria to be assigned a note taker. I didn't get your name on my list of students, if this was an oversight please call the office of disability services at 555-5555 and we'll try to get it worked out."
Honestly that's all I'd say and I'd leave it at that.
Excellent response! Professional and non-confrontational.
RitaZ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.