Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 09:05 AM   #31
torinsmom
I have someone coming to scoop
I don't know how a man could wear them

We have a Formalwear Outlet right down the street and it cost us $100 to BUY my son's tux two years ago. Shoes were $15. He has worn it a few times and we figured a basic tux was a good investment.
August 3-11, 2008--Pop Century Grand Gathering
July 6-13, 2009--Universal Studios
June 16-25 2010--Universal AND Disney for 10 days (Emerald Island)
August 10-20 2011--Universal and Disney(Indian Creek)
July 6-14 2012--Universal and Disney--doing YES again!
July 14-21 2013--Universal and Disney with family
torinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:10 AM   #32
ohiomom28
DIS Veteran

Not prom, but my husband rented from Men's Wearhouse for our wedding. The tux we liked was $175 plus tax and they showed us a comparable one without the big name brand for $75 plus tax. Much easier to work with.
Register to remove

Old 04-28-2013, 09:18 AM   #33
Katy Belle
DIS Veteran

DS went to his Senior Prom a few weeks ago. He will be buying a tux for Concert Band in college next year, but they weren't ready to tell us exactly what to buy, so we rented. He has a nice suit, but Seniors generally wear tuxes. He looked great!

We rented from Stage department store. Went up one step from the cheapest. Tux, shirt, tie, vest, was $100, after $10 off coupon. He has nice church shoes, that looked fine with it.

Prom was in the basketball gym at the school. Tickets were $15, no food included. After Prom was $5, but he and girl friend only stayed for a few minutes. With dinner, corsage, tickets for both of them, tux rental, etc...he paid about $220. Not bad, in my opinion!
Old 04-28-2013, 09:31 AM   #34
JVL1018
Forever Mickey's daughter
I hate stickers on fruit, it skeeves me.
If someone doesn't like it, tough noogies
"Nakey Boy to the rescue!!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post

I graduated in 1981 and my Prom was at The Mayflower Hotel in Washington, DC (I lived in a suburb about 20 miles outside of DC). Since I lived in a town that had NOTHING, we drove to Virginia for dinner, and then over to DC for Prom. Oh, it was "the prom" back then.

My son's Prom in its entirety is being held at the Quantico Marine Base Officer's Club so the $100 includes dinner and the dance. I can't really complain about that!
It's still "the prom" here. LOL
Our prom (1989..and there was only one prom, when you were a senior, there were other dances throughout the school years, but THE PROM was at the end of your senior year) was held at a very nice place where one would hold a wedding. And it was just like a wedding, sans alcohol.
Cocktail hour, dinner(sit down, not buffet) and of course dancing.
It was free, as was the yearbook, because of fundraising we had done throughout high school.
i think most proms around here are held in a hotel ballroom/wedding type venue.

JVL1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:23 AM   #35
Callie
Always Dreaming of Disney Magic

Wow, I didn't realize Tux rentals were so high! I always had a friend as my date, instead of a guy. Our dresses were cheaper to buy than it appears to rent a tux!

Speaking of location, my prom was 2 hours away in Chicago, on a river cruise. It included dinner, and an open bar of pop drinks. Tickets were $20 for students, and $40 for non students. Also included was motor-coach transportation.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:09 AM   #36
powellrj
I am wide awake and on the dis boards
My db and I usually fight over the turkey bones
It was so bad, it was funny
Note to self, never make anyone suffer with thirst

Quote:
Oh, it was "the prom" back then.
I graduated in 77 and I kept calling it "the prom" my dd kept rolling her eyes at me telling me its "prom". I knew I wasn't the only one to call it the prom!

powellrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:06 PM   #37
Mrs. Ciz
DIS Veteran

Just returned from Men's Wearhouse with DS16. He will be going to back to back proms this Friday and Saturday night. He wanted the basic black tux with pleated wing tip collar shirt, black bow tie and black cummerbund. He did not rent shoes (he has them as part of his military school uniform) or studs (DH has them for his own tuxedo).

Total with a $40 off prom coupon, plus a $20 rush fee (didn't know about this!) was $82.90 out the door. I thought is was very reasonable!
DL: Too many times to count growing up, DL: Jr. High Grad Trip 1980, WDW: Summer 1983, DL: New Year's Eve 1989, WDW: August 1995, DLR: Christmas 2001, DLR: June 2003, WDW: July 2010, WDW: Dec 2011, WDW: June 2013, DLR: July 2013

Wyndham Timeshare Owner & RCI Member since 1985
Mrs. Ciz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:56 PM   #38
RitaZ.
Move on don't hesitate
Breakout

Quote:
Okay, as I suspected, I paid too much. I got $10.00 off this "already discounted price." According to the receipt:

Vera Wang Slim Fit 38R extra long sleeve - $159.99
31R OS 41.5 $10.00 (Pants I think!)
Shirt - $5.00
Vest - $20.00
Tie - 2.50
Something else - $2.50
Shoes - $20.00

I rented this a Mens Warehouse which is just a big chain that sells menwear (suits mainly) and they have a tux rental section. The only other place close by was a bridal store.
DS rented his tux from MW. We used a $40 off coupon that we received in the mail and that brought the rental down to $145 from $175 (there is a damage and handling fee of $8). DS is tall and very thin; to buy him a new suit or tux wouldn't be wise at this point.

Ok, I just looked at the receipt and there are 9 lines with prices, but it doesn't specify what each is for. The prices that you listed in your post are identical, which the exception of the jacket (I think that was it's for), to ours. There is also something else that cost $9.99.
RitaZ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:01 PM   #39
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So, how much did it cost you to rent a Prom Tux (recently)? I don't know what I thought it was going to cost, but it definitely kind of surprised me. I'm thinking now that I should have asked to price out different styles, although my son is hard to fit.

What did you pay (approximately) for Tux, shirt, tie, vest, shoes?
$240 after a $40 coupon. (Men's Warehouse)

Rented on Thursday for prom on the 26th.

Tux, shirt, bow tie, vest, shoes and jewelry (cuff links, button covers, etc).
Hrhpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:09 PM   #40
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

never mind. Just noticed this was a zombie thread. Prices at Men's Warehouse sure have gone up in a year!
Hrhpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:16 PM   #41
cheerful chickadee
I heart Disney World

We rented our ds a tux last year for the junior prom and it was about $99, he hated it because he wanted a slim fit tux and although the style was considered slim fit it still seemed big on him and he was very disappointed. It looked good, it just wasn't what he wanted.

This year for the senior prom at the end of May we bought him a suit, definitely slim fit because he tried it on and wore it around the store haha. We will get it altered to his specifications. The suit was $100. I ordered him a tux shirt, bow tie, pocket square and shoes online. It was more expensive to buy the items separately but he will own them and can do whatever he wants to them to make them the style he is going for. He does not want the traditional tux with vest or cummerbund.
April 2012 CSR
Sept 2013 CSR
cheerful chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:34 PM   #42
Mrs. Ciz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitaZ. View Post
DS rented his tux from MW. We used a $40 off coupon that we received in the mail and that brought the rental down to $145 from $175 (there is a damage and handling fee of $8). DS is tall and very thin; to buy him a new suit or tux wouldn't be wise at this point.

Ok, I just looked at the receipt and there are 9 lines with prices, but it doesn't specify what each is for. The prices that you listed in your post are identical, which the exception of the jacket (I think that was it's for), to ours. There is also something else that cost $9.99.
Maybe the $9.99 item is the pocket square? I know those cost around $10. We skipped it. The vests also cost an additional $20 to $25, while the cummerbund is included in the tux rental price. DS didn't want the vest. He wanted to look like "Classic James Bond" - his words. Lucky for me the classic look is the cheapest!!!

And yes, I'm the one who resurrected this zombie thread from last year. It's prom season again, we moms need all the pricing help we can get!
DL: Too many times to count growing up, DL: Jr. High Grad Trip 1980, WDW: Summer 1983, DL: New Year's Eve 1989, WDW: August 1995, DLR: Christmas 2001, DLR: June 2003, WDW: July 2010, WDW: Dec 2011, WDW: June 2013, DLR: July 2013

Wyndham Timeshare Owner & RCI Member since 1985
Mrs. Ciz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:42 PM   #43
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Wow, my year old thread got revived!!!

Can I say that I'm glad senior year and all that goes with it is over and my son is completing his first year of college!!!!

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95

Last edited by Christine; Yesterday at 04:54 PM.
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:47 PM   #44
njmom47
He's such a fiend!
The monkeys would go crazy on the cars
I wound up with orange tiger stripes

Quote:
Wow, my year old thread got revived!!!

Can I say that I'm senior year and all that goes with it is over and my son is completing his first year of college!!!!
Then I guess it's appropriate that I answered with last year's prices!!

DS went to 2 proms within 2 weeks last year; I think the total rental was $150. This was for one tux, one pr of shoes, and two shirt/bowtie/cummerbund sets (for the different colors his dgf was wearing).

Junior Brody Stella Luna Ella the Bunny
Christmas 07/New Years 08-CBR (baseball), 2006-POR (cheering), 2001-Dixie Landings, 1988, 1975-Offsite
Trip was great...no new ticker for awhile!
My new avatar is one of my tags
njmom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:04 PM   #45
CF'er
Mine's so padded I'm afraid the heat would melt them

I paid $136 out the door for pants, jacket, shirt, vest, long tie, pocket square that we keep, shoes, button covers and cuff links.

We rented from a local florist who does tux's as well. DS is 5ft 9inches and 118 pounds so very lanky and hard to fit.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: