Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 06:03 AM   #16
NY Disney fan
DIS Veteran

My first love was a good young man ( i was 16 and he was 19). He was not the guy for me so I ended the relationship.
NY Disney fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:18 AM   #17
whoiam
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommasita View Post

I am not sure how old your DD is, but honestly watch her closely.. I didn't eat, and it just made my eating disorder worse. I contemplated suicide, and it ended up a male friend said "that is enough", and picked me up on his bike that evening, I looked like hell, but he said I needed to get out.. I was very thankful, because he literally carried me out of the house to socialize, and talking and doing that literally saved me..
Oh I am. I'm doing everything I can to keep her out of the house, I know that the worst thing she can do is sit around right now.

I feel so terrible for her, she has to see him everyday at school still. Luckily she is going off to college, so I think that she'll be able to move on nicely after school ends.

Thanks for all the stories!
As far as my first love, I think it was one of those blinded by love situations. Looking back, he was terrible for me but overall we had fun. I do remember the heartbreak like it was yesterday, with makes my heart ache for DD.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-28-2013, 08:35 AM   #18
PatsGirl
Kids will write the darndest things
I'm a fan of the Red Sox and anyone who beats the Yankees
I can't believe my parents lived through my shenanigans

My first love was one of the worst things that ever happened to me and one of the best (15 years later). We met as sophmores in high school and dated for a few months. He dumped me for someone else but kept me on a short chain, coming back every so often just to torment me I think I started dating someone else pretty seriously and travelled cross-country after graduation before college with him. We eventually broke up when I went away to college and the weekend thing was working for us (and I had seriously outgrown him).

Two years later, Mr. First Love, comes knocking at the door...he's home from the Army for a few days, do I want to have dinner? I honestly had not stopped thinking about what we could be since I was 16 so of course, I jumped at it. He asked me to move to Texas with him when he went back and I said no. We decided to try long distance. Six months later I got the Dear John letter ~ getting married, baby on the way, yadda yadda yadda.

Fast forward 12 years or so...I spent a good amount of time thinking about him, wondering....I married for one year and had my son but divorced pretty quickly. Prior to that I was engaged but it didn't work out. I think some of this was partly due to the fact that I never got over him. One night I ran into him at a bar, he's been living about 40 miles from our hometown, had two girls, 11 and 13 and was divorced...do I want to do dinner? We spent the next three years together and have a beautiful daughter who just turned 16 but it was never meant to be. He is still that self-absorbed teenager from high school. We co-parent well together and he is very good to all his kids but I guess I needed that closure

I did spend most of the last 15 years raising my two kids as a single parent and enjoying every minute of it but I didn't take much time for dating because they were my priority and between work and the two kids, there just wasn't much time for a significant other. Glad to say though, that I remarried four weeks ago and couldn't be happier
Last night my sister and I were sitting in the den and I said to her, "I never want to live in a vegetative state, dependent on some machine and fluids from a bottle to keep me alive. That would be no quality of life at all. If that ever happens, just pull the plug!" So she got up, unplugged the computer, and threw out my wine.

Brenda , Ed :Jacob 24 Alexandra 17 and two steps ~ Shawn 25 Nichole 24

SO turned husband March 2013

Next up ~ Halloween Horror Nights 2013 at Universal

F&W/FD for September 2012 with DD and SO who's a Disney virgin...this could be a dealbreaker

Celebrated my 50th with DD at Disneyland April 2011
PatsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:38 AM   #19
lorimay
DIS Veteran

Started dating him 2 weeks after my high school graduation in 1982.
Married in 1987.
2 kids
2 grandkids

Now a bit too quickly growing old together and loving it.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:51 AM   #20
whoiam
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsGirl View Post
. Glad to say though, that I remarried four weeks ago and couldn't be happier
Congratulations!!
Old 04-28-2013, 09:21 AM   #21
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Oh, I feel for her. My first love was a fabulous experience, we ended on relatively good terms, and it still hurt like hell. We were together more or less from middle school through high school graduation. He had a tough homelife and moved away after our freshman year so I did date other people at times when we had drifted apart, but we got back together as soon as I started driving and by the time I was getting ready to head off to college the relationship was serious enough that we were talking marriage. But our directions in life were just too different, and ultimately we decided there was no future for us together. We're still friends, he was the one who introduced me to my DH, and my kids call him "uncle", but I'd be lying if I said my heart didn't still skip a beat once in a while when we're together. Not that I'd ever act on it - the reasons we split are even more true today then they were when we were 18/19 - but sometimes the memories are just that close to the surface.

I agree with the posters who recommend watching your DD closely. I didn't isolate myself when G and I split up - I did just the opposite and got involved in an absolutely disastrous rebound relationship in an attempt to prove to myself that there was someone else out there for me. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Tickerless once more...Kid-free trip on hold until fall 2014
How a Year Off Became a Year of Disney Magic! PTR
My Training Blog - From Fluffy to Fit: A Pooh Sized Runner's Quest to Run Disney
Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:45 AM   #22
Katy Belle
DIS Veteran

My first love, we were together about 7 months. He was a bad boy, I was a good girl, we had GREAT fun! lol! He was a big time lier and far from trust worthy. As much as I loved him I knew I couldn't stay with him. I broke it off, but it was sooo painful. He tried to get me back, brought gifts at Valentines Day, attended school dances (which he never did before) to get a chance to dance with me. His friends lobbied for me to take him back.

The whole thing was excruciating. Seriously. I started dating someone else...he punched him in the nose during lunch! Painful for all of us. Finally, he let go and moved on. He started dating a girl from anther town. He brought me a photo of her, she looked just like me! She got pregnant, he dropped out of school. I see his name occasionally in my mom's newspaper, drug charges. I don't regret the relationship, but I'm thankful I had the smarts to move on!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: