Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 10:09 AM   #1
thinkerbell
DIS Veteran

Melatonin question

My husband has trouble sleeping at night. A friend suggested melatonin. She has just started taking it so she really doesn't know a whole lot about it. We bought some last night--10 mg. This morning I decided to research it and I have looked at several different sites. They talk about taking anywhere from 0.3 mg to 20 mg. One site talked about a high dose being 3-5 mg. Question- How do you know how much to take? Is it by weight, by how bad your sleep problem is, or something else?
Thanks!
thinkerbell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:13 AM   #2
Dancind
Tinkerbell's Mom
just full of pass questions
Onward and Downward!

Maybe get some lower dose pills and start with them? I say take the dose that works. 3mg for me, taken around dinner time.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-27-2013, 10:33 AM   #3
dakcp2001
Am I wrong to want a cashier and bagger?
Chicken wings are his crack

Most people start with 3mg. Sometimes kids start with 1 or 2 mg. 3 worked well for me for years, then I tried 5 and it was too much. I now use the 3mg "extended release" ones from GNC. I occasionally will take a quick dissolve 5 or 3 if I am having trouble going back to sleep ( I work nights and sleep days). But MOST people take 3 mg. 10 is a LOT. WHat I love about melatonin is it makes you have really colorful, vivid, dreams. If you have good dreams it is great, but if you are prone to nightmares it can be really bad for some children. I love the pretty dreams.
dakcp2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:46 AM   #4
ohiomom28
DIS Veteran

It doesn't work for me and makes my restless leg kick in. Figures. I also work nights and sleep days. I take Benedryl if I work consecutive nights and HAVE to sleep.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using DISBoards
Old 04-28-2013, 12:04 AM   #5
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran

Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.

My DS12 has problems sleeping and we give him 5 mg Melatonin. It doesn't really make him sleepy at all but I think it does help him fall asleep once he is able to get still and lay down.

Melatonin does absolutely nothing for me what so ever.

I have to take Ambien to get to sleep and even that doesn't make me sleepy. Nothing does.
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
MinnieLovesMickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:20 AM   #6
John VN
DIS Cast Member
N.Y. Style CHEESECAKE RULES!
Old Paramus Boy

Had sleep issues many years ago. I tried a variety of things then one night I popped one of DW's Midol tablets. Next thing I knew it was time to get up and I was feeling great.

Just sayin, try it-he may like it.

p.s.-if you think he might have an issue with the idea, don't tell him what he's taking.
John VN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:45 AM   #7
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

I usually get the 3mg and take 1-2 depending on how big a "push" I need to get to sleep.

I would suggest getting either the 2mg or 3mg size. He can always take more than one if necessary.
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:17 AM   #8
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John VN View Post
Had sleep issues many years ago. I tried a variety of things then one night I popped one of DW's Midol tablets. Next thing I knew it was time to get up and I was feeling great.

Just sayin, try it-he may like it.

p.s.-if you think he might have an issue with the idea, don't tell him what he's taking.
Depending on the type of Midol, you are taking an antihistamine, pain reliever, and caffeine. Any antihistamine would make you sleepy, the pain reliever could relieve pain that keeps you from getting comfortable, and the caffeine - well, that would keep you awake. There's also a diuretic in some versions, which would make yo have to get up and use the bathroom.
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:33 AM   #9
thinkerbell
DIS Veteran

Thanks for your replies. He did take the 10 mg that first night before researching a little and posting here. He was sluggish and yawned all day yesterday so I guess it works for him. He didn't take any last night and he still slept well. I think we may cut the 10 mg into 4 pieces, if we can, and go from there. I was just wondering if the dosage might go by weight or something. He can use other sleep aids and they work. He has taken Tylenol PM, Advil PM, Z-quil, and others. Dont think he has ever tried Motrin though. He was just trying to find something that is maybe more natural.
thinkerbell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:27 AM   #10
dakcp2001
Am I wrong to want a cashier and bagger?
Chicken wings are his crack

Most of the pm type medications have either generic Benadryl (diphenhydramine) or generic unisom (The active ingredient in each Unisom SleepTab is 25 mg of doxylamine succinate.

The active ingredient in each Unisom SleepGel is 50 mg of diphenhydramine HCl.

The active ingredient in each Unisom SleepMelt tablet is 25 mg (50 mg per dose) of diphenhydramine HCl.

The active ingredients in each Unisom PM Pain caplet is 325 mg of acetaminophen (pain reliever) and 50 mg of diphenhydramine HCl (sleep aid).

A lot of times it's cheaper to buy the generics. Especially if you don't want the Tylenol or Motrin that is in the pm meds.
dakcp2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:33 AM   #11
DLgal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkerbell View Post
Thanks for your replies. He did take the 10 mg that first night before researching a little and posting here. He was sluggish and yawned all day yesterday so I guess it works for him.
He shouldn't be sluggish and tired the next day. That means the dosage was too high. 10mg is a LOT! I have a liquid version by Natrol and it's 1mg per dose (using a dropper...4 droppers = 1mg). That is enough to knock me out. DS sometimes takes it, he uses 0.5mg and is out within 20 minutes.

I would say you should try the 3mg tablets. Don't cut up the 10mg ones. I don't think you are supposed to do that; read the bottle to make sure though.
DLgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:39 AM   #12
Bearybear
A firm believer in the unbelievable

My son has a lot of trouble falling asleep (and staying asleep). His pediatrician recommended giving him melatonin (about .5 mg) around 4:30 in the afternoon, to help his body produce more on its own. I guess that is around the time the natural circadian rhythms start producing it. If he still can't sleep, we'll give him up to another mg. We use liquid melatonin that we get at health food stores.

I suggest trying a low dose in the afternoons, then if that doesn't work, add a larger dose later.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:32 AM   #13
Aurora63
I do look ravishing, don't I?
I had several frog incidents growing up

Just wanted to chime in and say "ditto" to the vivid dreams with melatonin...they are very vivid!!! Which is sometimes good, but nightmares are just as vivid!!

Aurora63 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: