Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 04:43 PM   #1
dis2cruise
Long Island, NY

Electrolux vs GE Profile stainless steal kitchen appliances

How do they compare does anyone have any of these products good or bad reviews?

[
[IMG]http://i31
dis2cruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:45 PM   #2
gottaluvPluto
I feel like Tink and Tigger

Everything GE makes sucks! I would never buy anything from them again.

The greatest gifts you can give your children are the roots of responsibility and the wings of independence.
gottaluvPluto is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-27-2013, 04:55 PM   #3
pumpkinmomma
Mouseketeer

I have GE profile appliances. I have had them about a year and a half. I have a gas cooktop, double wall oven, dishwasher, microwave.

So far, everything is great except the dishwasher. I don't love the dishwasher. It's super quiet but it doesn't do a great job cleaning and the cycle is really long.

I've no experience with electrolux.
pumpkinmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:48 PM   #4
PlutoPony
DIS Veteran

Am guessing Electrolux is more expensive? I hear good things but check and see what repair options are in your area.

GE seems to be in the category of you either love it or hate it, not much in between.
PlutoPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:43 PM   #5
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

My GE profile stuff sucks. We have replaced all but the stove top. Which is missing all knobs I turn it on with pliers(classy). They don't sell knobs for it anymore. It has some funky shape. It's about 10 years old. Piece of junk!

The dishwasher went first, then fridge, then ovens. Now stovetop. Junk!
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:20 AM   #6
dis2cruise
Long Island, NY

Thanks everyone who responded it opened our eyes Wow' I guess my dh and I need to rethink our appliance company choices
A little better

[
[IMG]http://i31
dis2cruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:06 PM   #7
esk
DIS Veteran

I had GE profile for 2 years in my previous house and then bought it for my current house, 2 years ago. No complaints, love it.

Except the French Door fridge....it is very easy to THINK you shut it, and you didn't, so your stuff spoils. And things freeze in the back of the fridge.

I priced the Electrolux and it was horrifying. But the ovens are a very pretty blue inside and I wanted the cooktop so badly. But we spent $9K on appliances and I just couldn't bump that up to $16K for Electrolux (cooktop, fridge, dishwasher, microwave, double ovens)
esk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:12 PM   #8
cheerful chickadee
I heart Disney World

My DH works for an appliance parts company, they supply parts for pretty much all appliances and many brands (including GE and Electrolux) so I asked his opinion. He said "don't go with GE, their parts fail often and they are expensive to replace". Hope it helps.

Last edited by cheerful chickadee; 04-28-2013 at 08:14 PM. Reason: my gosh I cannot type tonight!
cheerful chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:51 PM   #9
PlutoPony
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by esk View Post
Except the French Door fridge....it is very easy to THINK you shut it, and you didn't, so your stuff spoils. And things freeze in the back of the fridge.
There are models of the French Door that have an alarm for when the refrigerator or freezer don't shut completely. That's saved me many a time, wouldn't buy one with that feature! Have not had a problem with things freezing in ours, we have a counter depth model so that may be why.

Am sure I'm very much in the minority but I have a mix of appliance brands in my kitchen. Spent a lot of time deciding on them when we redid the kitchen, there were specific features I wanted in each and no one manufacturer had everything I wanted. I have Kitchen Aide refrigerator, GE Profile convection oven and quick cooker/microwave (Advantium), Jenn-Aire gas cooktop, and Bosch dishwasher. Made sure I had door handles that were of the same style and at first glance it's not at all noticeable that I have such a mixture. So you might consider an approach like that if you don't want to spend Electrolux $$ on everything
PlutoPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:01 PM   #10
Bonnie40
Sweet tomatoes, yum
Has lived in Guelph all her life

I have the Electrolux Icon fridge and stove and love them! Really wanted the professional look and performance of a gas range but didn't want to pay the price for Viking, etc. It's a nice, mid-range line and I've been really happy with them!

Bonnie40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:07 PM   #11
lsyorke
DIS Veteran
Owner of squeeky bras

I have all GE Profile appliances(fridge, stove, microwave and dishwasher) never again! The fridge compressor went after 3 years, it took 3 service calls(all paid for by me) before they finally admitted that it was the compressor(which was under warranty). 10 phone calls and I finally got reimbursed for all the service calls and parts that weren't the problem. The worst part is that they second guy who came out said it was the compressor but "it takes 3 service calls before they allow us to put in that request"....he held a blow dryer in the freezer and left.

The stove is awful...temperature is always lower than it's set for and the convection is a joke. It takes at least 25% longer to cook with the convection. One service call and there was "nothing we can do about it, it's just the way it is".

Microwave makes a strange noise on and off that I won't even have serviced because they won't be able to do anything since it's intermittent.

The only one that is consistently ok is the dishwasher.

DON'T BUY GE!
lsyorke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:10 AM   #12
NAB
That first page just got too heavy
Maybe I am the gloved one and have an inside scoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsyorke View Post

The stove is awful...temperature is always lower than it's set for and the convection is a joke. It takes at least 25% longer to cook with the convection. One service call and there was "nothing we can do about it, it's just the way it is".
That is any convection oven because it keeps the temp. steady with a fan blowing. And yes you have to cook everything to the longest time they state on things. That is normal. I sometimes over ride the lower temp. by going 25 up from what the package says knowing the oven automatically takes it down 25.

I think with any appliance you might see trouble. I have the stove and microwave and haven't seen any problems yet. Also have a washer/dryer set and have had trouble with the washer a few times. Luck of the draw I guess just like cars some people have problems some don't.

But I can stay this they do not make anything these days that last as long as it used to. It is a fact so if you don't have to change out don't. Wish I had my old washer back.
NAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:19 AM   #13
BunsenH
Bringing Order to Chaos

There are families of appliance brands that are all made by the same manufacturer. Like Chevy/Buick/Caddy. I believe that Electrolux and Kitchen Aid are 2 such brands. We ordered Kitchen Aid for our new house. With Electrolux, you are paying a premium for the nameplate.

You may ask yourself, well, how did I get here?...
BunsenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:25 AM   #14
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

We have had a GE Profile stainless fridge for 9 years. No problems ever; best fridge I've ever owned.

Also have their double wall oven (convection) and dishwasher. Those are about 4 years old and, again, no problems. Still look and work great, knock on wood.
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:19 AM   #15
teacup princess
DIS Veteran

Hi-

I have an Electrolux electric oven, microwave, convection cooktop, and beverage center. I bought them merely for the look and because I felt they were a better midrange appliance. After 4 years I wish I could say they've been trouble free. The cooktop and beverage center have been fine. I love the convection cooktop and the beverage center is great. The microwave shorted out a couple of months ago. The oven had problems with the heating element this last year as well. The repairman had trouble figuring out the issue (there's not that many Electrolux owners out there so I don't think repairmen are that used to working on them). They basically replaced every part on there before they figured out it was the heating element. I basically have a brand new oven with all new parts now. When they took the element off they said they'd never seen anything like that before. It did look like the cheapest made part ever. It basically popped off its frame and was energizing itself to the bottom of the oven, just getting hotter and hotter instead of flipping the circuit breaker. That was kind of scary. But would I buy Electrolux again? Probably. I'm of the opinion that all appliances today are basically crap, so I don't think they are any worse than anything else out there. I buy the extended warranty knowing that I'm probably going to use it.
teacup princess is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: