Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 06:25 PM   #16
mmmears
DIS Veteran

Do you have to stay at the same place as them?

On property is so much more convenient. And so is being on the monorail. I'd pick a WDW deluxe anyday... I think I'd rather not go than deal with off-site and a MIL with 3 little kids at WDW...

It sounds like your MIL is making the decision for all 4 adults and 3 kids...

Unless she is the one paying for it all maybe you should take a vote. If she alone holds the pursestrings then it's really up to her. Maybe showing her a map and explaining transportation benefits of the CR (and how little kids and adults really benefit from a mid-afternoon hotel/nap/pool break) can help?

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:13 PM   #17
princessap
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmears View Post
Do you have to stay at the same place as them?

On property is so much more convenient. And so is being on the monorail. I'd pick a WDW deluxe anyday... I think I'd rather not go than deal with off-site and a MIL with 3 little kids at WDW...

It sounds like your MIL is making the decision for all 4 adults and 3 kids...

Unless she is the one paying for it all maybe you should take a vote. If she alone holds the pursestrings then it's really up to her. Maybe showing her a map and explaining transportation benefits of the CR (and how little kids and adults really benefit from a mid-afternoon hotel/nap/pool break) can help?
nope she isnt paying for us at all...I think I am going to show her a map and explain it all. If we can get garden wing maybe that will be a good compromise?!

I know she wants to do things besides the park and so will my fil but there is golf, fishing isnt there? and lots to do at the resort. I was thinking they could do dtd one night we put the girls to bed early even.
princessap is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-23-2013, 08:15 PM   #18
princessap
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomofDisneyLoversx3 View Post
Sounds like my parents. They have never (in 20+ years) used their RCI. They also won't sell it, or let us (any of the 4 kids) transfer it for somewhere else.
do they use if for non disney?? my in laws have 200 to use before dec and another 300 to use next year. they never use it! My FIL said to book it with their points but she wont. she wants to use it for herself but never books anything.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:21 PM   #19
MomofDisneyLoversx3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessap View Post

do they use if for non disney?? my in laws have 200 to use before dec and another 300 to use next year. they never use it! My FIL said to book it with their points but she wont. she wants to use it for herself but never books anything.
Nope. They just don't use it AT ALL!! So weird. And my mom has done the WDW half and full marathon ( once each) so they could have switched the rCi to wdw but were 'saving them'. Not sure for what?!?!

MomofDisneyLoversx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:32 PM   #20
princessap
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomofDisneyLoversx3 View Post
Nope. They just don't use it AT ALL!! So weird. And my mom has done the WDW half and full marathon ( once each) so they could have switched the rCi to wdw but were 'saving them'. Not sure for what?!?!
Crazy isn't it?! My FIL won't travel with her right now because of work so they have a ton of points to use! I hope to have them when I get older to use with my kids and grandkids and will remember to use them!
Old 04-27-2013, 12:43 PM   #21
shalom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
my other issue is that they have a rci membership so could stay at wdw with their points but dont want to (not sure why). would rather stay by seaworld, which we arent going to.
This may be your problem. Some timeshare people just plain don't like DVC -- they think the 2 BRs are too small and you're too far from your car and that DVC just isn't up to the quality of (for instance) HGVC, which is one of the ones by Seaworld. I think in terms of 1 BRs DVC does better, but I don't follow that as closely.

If your MIL hangs out on timeshare boards and has heard some of the outraged TS rants I have on DVC and how it's overpriced and nasty (I sometimes suspect RCI trades may have higher odds of getting tired units), maybe that's influencing her.

On second thought, it's also a challenge to get BLT through RCI right now, so maybe that's at the root of it. Most people who put in an on-going search and have some flexibility get it, but if she doesn't like committing to an on-going search her odds are not good.

There are lots of RCI possibilities that are easier to get and much, much closer than Seaworld, so maybe she's sticking to what she knows (although if it's HGVC, there's one a lot closer than SeaWorld).
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:31 PM   #22
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
nope she isnt paying for us at all...I think I am going to show her a map and explain it all. If we can get garden wing maybe that will be a good compromise?!

I know she wants to do things besides the park and so will my fil but there is golf, fishing isnt there? and lots to do at the resort. I was thinking they could do dtd one night we put the girls to bed early even.
Not sure the map would work as it's difficult to know the distances from that.

You can tell her the story about my daughter-in-law on her first trip. We entered Disney property from Highway 192 and went up World Drive (since I thought that would be more dramatic). We were staying at Fort Wilderness Cabins so we drove and drove and drove. She couldn't believe we were on Disney property the entire time. Then we went from the Cabins to Animal Kingdom Lodge and she STILL couldn't believe we were still on property. After ten minutes of driving.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:56 PM   #23
buzznina
DIS Veteran

Location: The White Sugar Beaches of the Florida Panhandle, Destin area. 7 hours away from the Magic Place.

Here is what you tell the MIL, if she stays onsite and wants to golf.
-She will get a discount at the disney courses
-Complimentary private transportation to all five courses for WDW Resort Guests
-Priority on tee times on Disney golf courses

The courses and some basic stats about them are:

Palm - Designed by Joe Lee, par for this course is 72. It has been rated a 4-star course by Golf Digest magazine. Its number one "villain" is WATER.

Magnolia - Also designed by Joe Lee, this is also par 72 and has been rated a 4-star course by Golf Digest. Its number one "villain" is SAND, with 14 bunkers on Hole 4 alone.

Lake Buena Vista - Also designed by Joe Lee, this is also par 72 and has been rated a 4-star course by Golf Digest. Its number one "villain" is NARROW FAIRWAYS.

Osprey Ridge - Designed by Tom Fazio, this par 72 course is rated 4.5 stars by Golf Digest. Its number one "villain" is LARGE ROLLING GREENS.

Oak Trail - Designed by Ron Garl, par 36, villain-free for juniors and beginners.

DW DH DD(9) DD(4)

AKL-SV(2), POLY, GF(CL), CR, POFQ(3), POR(6)(RGR(2)), CSR(10), CBR, FW CABINS, BW, POP(3), ASMU(2), ASSP, ASMO and DLH
buzznina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:31 AM   #24
brertoad
DIS Veteran

Just my 2 cents.
Staying on-site is awesome, I wouldn't ever want to stay at an off-site hotel ever again. I think a lot of people are just not aware of what they are missing. Sure, it's not for everyone, but some people just don't want to give it a try. Yes, it's pricey, and there are ways to mitigate those costs, you can compromise on room view, or resort level. But staying on the monorail rail gives you a level of vacationing that can not be surpassed in any other way. The convenience is a luxury and a one of a kind experience, and that costs money. You are willing to pay it, she isn't. She's not paying for your vacation and as you said, you can't take it with you.

I'm not sure if you can convince her, maybe seeing her grand-babies at WDW may spark something, but who knows. We bought a DVC resale because we were spending a lot on hotel rooms and knew that we were going to keep spending a lot, so it made sense for us. You just can't beat the deluxe rooms for value level pricing.

It's a complete shame that they have RCI points that she refuses to use. I thought the Bonnet Creek resort was on RCI? And WDW has nice golf courses, not that we golf, but people come from all over the world to go to WDW, they have just about anything you want all on site.

I'd just do what is best for you and your DH and kids. Let FIL and MIL book their own accomodations, and they can meet up with you at WDW.
Staying off-site is terrible in my experience, I don't feel as safe, it's a pain to drive and park, I feel disconnected from my vacation, I feel like I'm not out of the real world. I want to be completely in the Disney bubble, that's part of the magic to me and it's worth the money to us.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:33 PM   #25
princessap
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brertoad View Post
Just my 2 cents.
Staying on-site is awesome, I wouldn't ever want to stay at an off-site hotel ever again. I think a lot of people are just not aware of what they are missing. Sure, it's not for everyone, but some people just don't want to give it a try. Yes, it's pricey, and there are ways to mitigate those costs, you can compromise on room view, or resort level. But staying on the monorail rail gives you a level of vacationing that can not be surpassed in any other way. The convenience is a luxury and a one of a kind experience, and that costs money. You are willing to pay it, she isn't. She's not paying for your vacation and as you said, you can't take it with you.

I'm not sure if you can convince her, maybe seeing her grand-babies at WDW may spark something, but who knows. We bought a DVC resale because we were spending a lot on hotel rooms and knew that we were going to keep spending a lot, so it made sense for us. You just can't beat the deluxe rooms for value level pricing.

It's a complete shame that they have RCI points that she refuses to use. I thought the Bonnet Creek resort was on RCI? And WDW has nice golf courses, not that we golf, but people come from all over the world to go to WDW, they have just about anything you want all on site.

I'd just do what is best for you and your DH and kids. Let FIL and MIL book their own accomodations, and they can meet up with you at WDW.
Staying off-site is terrible in my experience, I don't feel as safe, it's a pain to drive and park, I feel disconnected from my vacation, I feel like I'm not out of the real world. I want to be completely in the Disney bubble, that's part of the magic to me and it's worth the money to us.
Thanks. I think we are just going to do onsite and let them do what they want. I don't want to rent a car which we need a van so it saves us about 5-600 dollars by not renting a van either. So I factor that in. When I calculate costs it is more expensive to be onsite but not what people think it is is, it is about the same when you factor in all factors and who can put a price on monorail!
Old 05-02-2013, 02:35 PM   #26
princessap
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalom View Post
This may be your problem. Some timeshare people just plain don't like DVC -- they think the 2 BRs are too small and you're too far from your car and that DVC just isn't up to the quality of (for instance) HGVC, which is one of the ones by Seaworld. I think in terms of 1 BRs DVC does better, but I don't follow that as closely.

If your MIL hangs out on timeshare boards and has heard some of the outraged TS rants I have on DVC and how it's overpriced and nasty (I sometimes suspect RCI trades may have higher odds of getting tired units), maybe that's influencing her.

On second thought, it's also a challenge to get BLT through RCI right now, so maybe that's at the root of it. Most people who put in an on-going search and have some flexibility get it, but if she doesn't like committing to an on-going search her odds are not good.

There are lots of RCI possibilities that are easier to get and much, much closer than Seaworld, so maybe she's sticking to what she knows (although if it's HGVC, there's one a lot closer than SeaWorld).
Thanks for the reply. I could understand her if she did any sort of research at all. She Doesn't and simply said she wants to save her points for something else. Didn't look at anything at all. I think she thinks disney is close to sea world and her mind is made up. She is cranky lately so haven't brought it up again.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:06 AM   #27
princessap
DIS Veteran

Update!!!!!

I just wanted to come back to this thread and thank everyone for their thoughts and opinions....I have great news!!!!!

So lots of things have happened over the last few weeks to friends of my inlaws, a friend of mine whose dad was just diagnosed with cancer....this has given all of us a lot to think about....

I had a disney conversation with my mother in law the other day and she has a very different attitude about life now...a friend of hers was diagnosed with lung cancer and died a month later. My MIL wants to experience life now and not put things off because you never know what can happen. I feel this way too!!!

sooooooooo.....she said book wherever you want! I trust you as the disney fanatic and we want to experience it all with our granddaughters!!!

so right now it is looking like a split stay between standard view at POLY and then TPV at Contemporary!! or if no discounts for those then garden wing at CR for the week or split it with poly!!! either way it will be great!!!
Old 05-09-2013, 11:25 AM   #28
BringingUpDisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I just wanted to come back to this thread and thank everyone for their thoughts and opinions....I have great news!!!!!

So lots of things have happened over the last few weeks to friends of my inlaws, a friend of mine whose dad was just diagnosed with cancer....this has given all of us a lot to think about....

I had a disney conversation with my mother in law the other day and she has a very different attitude about life now...a friend of hers was diagnosed with lung cancer and died a month later. My MIL wants to experience life now and not put things off because you never know what can happen. I feel this way too!!!

sooooooooo.....she said book wherever you want! I trust you as the disney fanatic and we want to experience it all with our granddaughters!!!

so right now it is looking like a split stay between standard view at POLY and then TPV at Contemporary!! or if no discounts for those then garden wing at CR for the week or split it with poly!!! either way it will be great!!!

me miss J my little princess (2)
BringingUpDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:49 AM   #29
Princess Disney Mom
DIS Veteran

Stay where you want and let her stay where she wants.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
2006 - CR X 2/ DoubleTree WDW/ POFQ/ Music Resort
2007 - POP X 3/ Double Tree WDW
2008 - Disneyland/ BoardWalk / Off Site WDW
2009 - Offsite/Doubletree at WDW/CR/Boardwalk
2010 - Disneyland/ Doubletree WDW/HBC/ Music Resort
2011 - Hilton Bonnet Creek/ Port Orleans Riverside
2012 - Hilton Bonnet Creek
2013- Disneyland / Grand Floridian
2014 - Offsite/ Grand Floridian
Princess Disney Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:24 PM   #30
MinnesotaMouseketeers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
update on page 2!!!!!!

My issue is this....they don't seem to understand the convenience of being onsite and just are focusing on the money aspect of it. I know you can stay offsite for cheaper becasue we have done it. But with three little ones under 6 at the trip time I like the convenience of going back to resort and being on the monorail as our youngest will be 17 months at the time.

How do I convince them that it is worth it to be onsite vs offsite?

What to do?!?!?!?
Other reasons we love on-site:

Theming
Landscaping
Transportation
Purchases sent to your resort
Free parking if you are driving
NO ISSUES WITH DRIVING TO THE PARKS: road construction, rush hour, or long drives from the hotel you are staying at.
Disney transportation: we love it; including Magical Express because we don't rent a car either.

But we really do love the option of going back to the resort for a rest in the middle of the day. Eat lunch at the resort, put on the swim suit and enjoy the pool, explore the resort, or just hang out in your room.
Disneyland 1975, Off site/Big Red Boat 1987, Port Orleans/Wonder 1999, Off site 2000, Poly/Wonder 2004, CBR/Eastern Magic 2007, WL 2009, GF/Wonder Panama Canal 2011, POR 2012, AKL/Dream 2013, All Star Music/Fantasy Eastern 2014, Off-site 2015, Numerous ports of call to other countries
More fun stops: CA-LA, San Diego, San Fran. & wine country, NM-twice (all over), AZ-twice including Grand Canyon, CO-all over, SD-Black Hills & Badlands, MI-UP, Isle Royale & Mount Pleasent, TX-S. Padre Island twice and San Antonio, WI-All over including Apostale Islands, IA-Quad City area, WY-Devils Tower, AK-Kantishna Roadhouse at Denali NP, Anchorage, Seward, MT-Glacier NP, Ireland 2012, BWCA six trips - 2013 last one
MinnesotaMouseketeers is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: