Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Orlando Resorts & Hotels
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 02:14 PM   #1
Celizd
Earning My Ears

new to Universal hotels

Hi everyone! my family and I are newbies to Universal resorts (not the parks though) we are regulars at disney and have stayed at almost all resorts there. we are looking to do Universal this year. I need help!!!
my main thing is usually always the POOL Love pools!!! which resort has the better pool, (water slide, beauty etc.) we kinda got spoiled with the beach club pool
I know that these resorts are the deluxe category, is it the same comparison to the disney deluxe? right now im torn between RPR and PBR....thanks for the help!
Celizd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:28 PM   #2
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

I find the Universal deluxes to be more deluxe than most of the DIsney ones..You can't go wrong with any of them( though I am partial to Portofino Bay),and unlike Disney, YOU CAN POOL HOP at universal..So pick one and Enjoy!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-25-2013, 02:31 PM   #3
Celizd
Earning My Ears

awesome!!! thank you!! I guess I just need the reassurance lol.....I know all the ins and outs of disney, that I almost feeling like im cheating
I think we are gonna have a blast either way.....
Old 04-25-2013, 02:33 PM   #4
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celizd View Post
awesome!!! thank you!! I guess I just need the reassurance lol.....I know all the ins and outs of disney, that I almost feeling like im cheating
I think we are gonna have a blast either way.....
I felt the same way...then we had our first onsite Universal only trip..we had such a BLAST and a relaxing trip.So much so we are skipping staying at Disney again this year and only going over there for one day during our trip to see the MK
Old 04-25-2013, 04:40 PM   #5
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

The pool at RPR: is big, spread out, and has a big waterplay area sort of attached to it. We've been there when they had a net across part of the pool and people were playing volleyball of sorts which seemed like fun. I think they have a hot tub, too. The environment is pretty, tropical, and lush-feeling (even though we were there for the infamously COLD December of 2010).

The pool at HRH: is not as big, is incredibly shallow. has music piped in under the water, but I couldn't find a spot in the pool deep enough to put my head under water to hear it. LOTS of people sitting in the water, drinking (please let them get up in order to use the restroom, please...). But the slide, according to my then 7 year old son, was pretty awesome. At the bottom of the slide is a nice deep area, but you can't use it for swimming b/c, of course, there are people plunging into it from the slide! The environment is pretty, especially with the mission-style building halfway surrounding it.

The main pool at PBH: has half of the bottom covered in sand; that's the zero-depth entry part. The other part of the pool is nicely deep. I believe there are two hot tubs, sort of out of the way, at least they felt out of the way. Comfy loungers. They have a slide that DS liked. It *felt* the most luxurious of the pools at the other resorts.

The quiet pool at PBH: (it might be *one* of the quiet pools, I haven't gotten it all clear yet, but it's the one we went to)....good for proper swimming. Nice big rectangle. Loungers all around. Hot tub and cold plunge pool (at least I think it was meant to be a cold plunge pool, LOL). Gorgeous. Felt like I was in that 80s ad showing a fancy person swimming while a plane went overhead (maybe for Ban du'Soleil?) if anyone else remembers that.

But as was already said, they allow pool-hopping; all it takes is a walk, a pedicab ride, or a boat ride (or combo) to get from one to the other! Just bring your keycards.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:47 PM   #6
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
Iím a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

all 3 onsite pools have games/activities for all ages.

if you pool hop, take your room key.
show it to the TM to get towels at that pool.

all 3 hotels have facilities to change in.

most peeps use the water taxis to go from one hotel to another when pool hopping.

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:21 PM   #7
Celizd
Earning My Ears

thank you so so much for the awesome info!!! im excited!!!
Im booking in the a.m. so I guess whichever saves me $$ will be the resort lol.
this is a last minute thing and its just my son and I, poor hubby has to work (he just started a new job)....cant wait
Old 04-25-2013, 07:42 PM   #8
mjohnson96
DIS Veteran

We love staying onsite and have stayed at both RPR and PBH.

RPR - great pool for younger kids, has the zero entry and large boat to play on. When we have been there they play movies at night at the pool so the kids would swim one more time while we watched the movie before bed. They have great activities too for the kids. I also like the pool bar at RPR, very friendly staff too! One day it was pooring rain and when we got back to the hotel one of the ladies was out there handing warm towels to the kids to help dry them off. Closest also to IOA too, love the walk to City Walk.

HRH - never stayed but we love the pool bar there and usually go one afternoon for lunch. They have lots of activities for kids, but get the adults involved more too.

PBH - largest rooms, just renovated. We stayed here for the first time last year and we will be back again this year. The pool is very nice and is pretty quiet compared to the other two. They have a separate playground here as well for the kids. I did not see as many pool activities for the kids and I was not impressed with food options at the pool. My dad loved this place and we would sit out on the bay area in the evenings. We got lucky and had a patio room that walked out to the boat dock area so nice view. It is quiet a bit aways from the parks, so we tended to the the boats/pedi cabs more often.

You can't go wrong with any of the onsite resorts, if you like the Beach Club you might like PBH. I found this trip that it was the least expensive option for me as well.

mjohnson96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:40 PM   #9
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
Iím a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

there are around the pool activities/games for adults also at rph.

when you win, you get a free drink.

and i'm not talking soda........

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:18 AM   #10
Bluer101
Waiting till vacation comes!

Love everything at RPR but enjoy pool hopping to HRH. With pool hopping you can't go wrong with all three hotels.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:47 PM   #11
Celizd
Earning My Ears

thanks for all the help! we booked PBH....cant wait!!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: