Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2013, 02:06 PM   #1
mrstrong
Earning My Ears

Disneyland open 24hrs on May 24 (and probably 25)

I am the adviser for a High School group that was going to Grad Nite on May 24th. Disneyland just phoned me to see if I wanted to change dates on our Grad Nite because they will be open all night the 24th. CM said they will have a section (don't know what exactly yet) closed down part of the night just for Grad Nite. We will be changing our date because i expect there to be a mass of humanity at the 24hr opening. She said the only reason she called our school was because earlier in the week I had sent an email expressing my concerns over the rumors of said 24hr party.
FWIW
Steve
mrstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:10 PM   #2
Cheshirecatty
DIS Veteran

You are extremely right in changing your date (in MY opinion)!!!!

Leap Day was hideous, and definately was a MASS of humanity--GROSS!!!
Cheshirecatty is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-26-2013, 02:51 PM   #3
sherilaine
DIS Veteran

This was the 1st thing I questioned about this rumour - how would this affect the grad nights already booked for that night?

I would imagine most of the grads booked that night will want to change their date - and Disney should almost create another date to accommodate them since most other dates are likely already close to capacity.

I think this was mighty inconsiderate of Disney to be honest!
March 2014 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3247388

sherilaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:00 PM   #4
Disney Dreams
Proudly afflicted with TDMA!
Major pin collector in denial

Thanks for sharing. Very interesting.

I can't understand why they would pick dates that already have Grad Night celebrations scheduled. Strange.

I hope your seniors have a great night, whenever they celebrate.

- Dreams

Disney Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:42 PM   #5
anonymousegirl
DIS Veteran

I agree that it was very poor planning! As a fan wanting to go to the 24 hour day (and yes, I did do the Leap day last year) I am not excited about adding to that mess with thousands of teenagers--just as I am sure those teenagers would rather have the park to themselves like I did back in 1981.
So no one is happy--Disney should create another date and move those schools already booked for the 24th or should limit the 24 hour day to DL as they did last year (although that did not work out too well logistically).
1973 Disneyland Hotel;1985 WDW Grosvenor; 1988 same;1994 off-site; 1997 off-site; July 2008 POR; December 2008 Pop Century; January 2009 Contemporary, BCV; March 2009 Pop Century; May 2009 Grand California at DLR; September 2009 SSR; December 2009 Pop; May 2010 DL off site; July 2010 Disneyland Hotel; October 2010 Disneyland Hotel; January 2011 Saratoga Springs;May 2011 Disneyland off-site; October 2011 AKV Kidani; DLR OMDD Leap Day 2012; June 2012 BCV/Vero Beach; September 2012 All Star Sports; December 2012 Grand Floridian; DLR off site February 2013;DLR off site for Long Lost Friends week April 2013;DLR Paradise Pier Hotel July 2013; DLR off site November 2013;Aulani DVC January 2014; WDW OKW May 2014; WDW SSR VILLIANS UNLEASHED! Aug 2104;WDW October 2014; CBR/DCL December 2014
anonymousegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:11 PM   #6
UnpokemonMom
Earning My Ears

So even though the parks will open at 6am on Friday, May 24th, grad nite kids can't enter the parks till later? Do I have that right?
UnpokemonMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:24 PM   #7
sherilaine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnpokemonMom View Post
So even though the parks will open at 6am on Friday, May 24th, grad nite kids can't enter the parks till later? Do I have that right?
Grad night includes a park hopper that is valid for the entire day. They do not have to wait till a certain time to enter.
March 2014 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3247388

sherilaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:08 PM   #8
3Minnies1Mickey
Just wanted to add, this is no longer a rumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Dreams View Post
Thanks for sharing. Very interesting.

I can't understand why they would pick dates that already have Grad Night celebrations scheduled. Strange.

I hope your seniors have a great night, whenever they celebrate.

- Dreams
I couldn't understand why they had a grad night on a Friday during Memorial Day weekend in the first place!

Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Handsome Prince
Me(34) DH(36) DD(12) DD(8) DD(6) DS(5)
Disneyland: many times as a kid * 10/05 * 12/07 * 9/09 * 10/09 * 12/09 * 6/10 *1/13*12/13
Walt Disney World: 9/11 2 weeks at BCV!!!
3Minnies1Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:24 PM   #9
Nonsuch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstrong View Post
...We will be changing our date because i expect there to be a mass of humanity at the 24hr opening...
While it will certainly be a huge mess, it will also be the most unique grad night experience.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:44 PM   #10
UnpokemonMom
Earning My Ears

Okay, expect lots of people and waiting in line. Check!
UnpokemonMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:01 AM   #11
fctiger
DIS Veteran

Honestly its such a head scratcher why do it on a grad night at all?? They can litterally do this any day of the year and its already going to be busy enough that weekend, but why would they make it not only more work for themselves but impede on the grads like that? The greatest thing about grad night is you had the parks all to yourselves basically with other like minded 18 year olds and get to dress up and listen to the DJs, muscians, etc. Now they will have to share it with thousands of others just like any other day...all night. That seems so unfair. I cant blame the OP for moving it. I hope more do.

My ONLY guess is Disney is doing it to save a bit of money. They already have most of the staff in place for DCA for grad night already so they dont have to completely staff a seperate night for both parks. Honestly thats the ONLY thing I can come up with. That or they are simply incompetent and I dont believe that.
fctiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:34 PM   #12
Disneylandfan1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fctiger View Post
Honestly its such a head scratcher why do it on a grad night at all?? They can litterally do this any day of the year and its already going to be busy enough that weekend, but why would they make it not only more work for themselves but impede on the grads like that? The greatest thing about grad night is you had the parks all to yourselves basically with other like minded 18 year olds and get to dress up and listen to the DJs, muscians, etc. Now they will have to share it with thousands of others just like any other day...all night. That seems so unfair. I cant blame the OP for moving it. I hope more do.

My ONLY guess is Disney is doing it to save a bit of money. They already have most of the staff in place for DCA for grad night already so they dont have to completely staff a seperate night for both parks. Honestly thats the ONLY thing I can come up with. That or they are simply incompetent and I dont believe that.
This whole thing is puzzling. The only reason I can see for choosing this weekend is that the AP's are blocked on Sat & Sun, which was not the case for the Leap Day event. However, Friday's not blocked, right? So I'm just not sure. Obviously they chose the grad night dates last year and this 24-hour event is a more recent idea, so again I'm assuming it's because the AP's are blocked, and as the previous poster noted they are already staffed and prepared for holiday weekend crowds.
Disneylandfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:58 PM   #13
BriAlie
Earning My Ears

I wonder if its because they want the 24 hour day to be on the 24th because the numbers match? It's 24 on the 24th, which looks and sounds way better than 24 on the 11th or 24 on the 28th or what have you. So maybe they wanted that symmetry with the number 24 soooo much that they said "oh, well!" To the grad night crowds. Just a guess on my part. It still majorly sucks for the grads that night!

BriAlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:05 PM   #14
trill
Mouseketeer

They are doing it to kick off the summer and campaign for their new Monsters Inc. movie coming out. Grad nighters are pennies compared to movie revenues!

It looks like it's the only Saturday of the year my SoCal pass can work- if I go in on Friday....not that I would dare venture over there. I can barely suffer the off-season crowds. I can't imagine an all-night full house!

I'll be happy to read the reports and look at the photos though!
Old 04-27-2013, 06:30 PM   #15
disneyfreak202
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trill View Post
They are doing it to kick off the summer and campaign for their new Monsters Inc. movie coming out. Grad nighters are pennies compared to movie revenues!

It looks like it's the only Saturday of the year my SoCal pass can work- if I go in on Friday....not that I would dare venture over there. I can barely suffer the off-season crowds. I can't imagine an all-night full house!

I'll be happy to read the reports and look at the photos though!
I'm with you on the only Saturday my pass works. I'm only going cause I didn't go on leap year. I'm not planning on riding more than 3 rides the entire night. The rest ill be walking around taking it in!
disneyfreak202 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: