Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 01:11 PM   #1
SteelSonny
Earning My Ears

Cool Midday Break Suggestions??

My DD4 is NOT a napper. In fact, she only falls asleep in the car after fighting it for awhile. That said, the only way we can be there at rope drop and see fireworks on our MK days is to get her down.

We will be in a LM room at AoA.

One idea I have is that she often goes to sleep at night listening to the audio recording of Peter Pan on my phone. So we'll try that and add some more to the playlist.

Any other tricks? Will the shades make the room dark enough? Is it noisy to have pools so close? (I know this depends on room assignment, but generally...) Any other thoughts?
SteelSonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:53 PM   #2
angelmom27
DIS Veteran

We never take breaks. I know if we were to leave they would never lay down and nap. They usually just fall asleep in the stroller and that is usually when the parade is about to start so we just get a good spot and some snacks for the bigger kids. I can't tell you how many kids have slept through the parades and didn't know they missed it. Or sometimes they fall asleep watching it. One ride that always puts my kids to sleep is the carousel of progress. Lol
Register to remove

Old 04-25-2013, 05:34 PM   #3
geraghty
Mouseketeer

I would let her go to the pool for about an hour when you get back to the room. With rope drop and a swim she might fall right to sleep.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:41 PM   #4
ktlm
DIS Veteran

My DD was never much of a napper either. We tried the mid-day break once and it didn't work because there was no way she was going to nap in the room in the middle of the day. However, we found that when she got tired at WDW, she would go right to sleep in her stroller as we walked around the park. After that it was stroller naps for us. She completely gave up naps at home when she turned 3 ( if she had any sort of nap during the day she would be up until 2 or 3 a.m., so we cut her off). At WDW, she was still taking good stroller naps during the day at 4 years old. I think you may just have to get there and see what works for your DD. The room nap might work, but it might not.
ktlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:07 PM   #5
Missy13d69
DIS Veteran

I have a 2 year old and a 4 year old who do not nap at home, but they have napped in the stroller every day at Disney. The 4 year old napped for about 3 hours in the stroller yesterday.

Missy13d69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:41 PM   #6
ClaireW
Mouseketeer

We've used the boat trip to/from WL and Ft W, sometimes combined with a leisurely stroll around the campground, as a way for the adults to slow down and relax and for the little ones to nap. Although a walk only works if they are in a stroller, the boat trip might be relaxing enough for a nap if you are there without a stroller?
ClaireW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:24 PM   #7
brockash
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelSonny View Post
My DD4 is NOT a napper. In fact, she only falls asleep in the car after fighting it for awhile. That said, the only way we can be there at rope drop and see fireworks on our MK days is to get her down.

We will be in a LM room at AoA.

One idea I have is that she often goes to sleep at night listening to the audio recording of Peter Pan on my phone. So we'll try that and add some more to the playlist.

Any other tricks? Will the shades make the room dark enough? Is it noisy to have pools so close? (I know this depends on room assignment, but generally...) Any other thoughts?
Why do have to get her to take a nap at the resort in order to do rope drop and see the Wishes? I have 2 kids, and they've been going to Disney yearly since they were babies, and while we did try the mid-day break thing, really it just didn't work out well (it's pain and time consuming to leave MK take a bus/boat/monorail, to your car or your resort, get back to your room, get everyone laying down and calm, and then get everyone up and ready to go again. We have found that it's much easier to just let the kids sleep when they fall asleep at Disney. I'd def. take a stroller for a 4 year old and when she gets tired, let her sleep. If she sleeps in the stroller while you guys watch Wishes, so be it.

Maybe even taking a few laps around the ppl. mover, the train, doing CoP, Hall of Presidents or even just riding the monorail, would get you guys out of the sun and allow you to have some downtime.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:23 AM   #8
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

When my son was little, he fought naps. I had a newborn and really needed them, as did his sister.

So I told him we were having a little mommy-son time. I put the baby in for her nap, then turned on the VCR in my room to Mary Poppins. I lowered all the shades, and put the volume nice and low "so the baby could sleep."

He still has not seen the end of that movie. It worked like a charm; he fell asleep every single day.

I've been BOO'ed by pigletgirl!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:10 AM   #9
Jewel3k
Mouseketeer

We did a mid day break to swim and cool down. My 3 year old often feel asleep on the bus back to the park or in the stroller the whole trip. He never would calm down enough to take a nap. He doesn't nap at home, so we didn't try. He was always up for fireworks. Heck, my 5 year old napped in the stroller to last trip.
Jewel3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:07 AM   #10
msmama
DIS Veteran

Mid day breaks at the hotel have never worked for my son who gave up naps at 2. If I tried, he'd either fall asleep on the bus for 5 minutes and that was it OR we'd spend so much time fighting to get him to nap that none of us would be willing to go back to the parks - we'd all be grumpy.

IF he gets tired enough he will sleep in the stroller. Otherwise, there is NO WAY we could do RD AND a late night (repeat the next day). IF we stay late, we get a late start. He's still up at his normal time, but hanging around the resort in the morning is enough of a break.

We skip fireworks knowing that we will always be back.

You say MK dayS, so I'd make one a later start, personally. Good luck!

msmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:05 PM   #11
pookybean
Mouseketeer

we always take mid day breaks, but don't always sleep. we get up early and try to make rope drop every morning, and then stay until after the fireworks.

when we go back for our breaks we may swim or just rest in the room. there are times i end up falling asleep and the kids watch the disney channel or something else quiet. we usually change clothes before we go back out again. we also usually go to a different park at night than where we were for the day.

i think its not so much about the nap but the down time. while my youngest would sleep in the stroller it was nice to go back and get refreshed. also, i usually bathe my youngest during that break time because if i waited until we got back to the room at night i would never get her into the shower!

experiment with what you think will work for you. for us, after quite a few years of go go go we started trying a break and love it. dont focus so much on the nap itself but the relaxation.

me, ds 17, dd12, dd4
pookybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:12 PM   #12
Freesia123
DIS Veteran

Our rule is one hour quiet time. She gave up naps when she was three and ever since 2-3pm is quiet time. She reads a book, listens to quiet music or watches some tv while lying down. If you let her have a swim and then a quiet hour, she'll be refreshed.
Freesia123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: