DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 08:23 AM   #1
Mommy2TwoMickeys
DIS Veteran

Is Pixie Dust Given To "First Time Home" Resalers?

I read somewhere that when booking your first stay "home" that Disney MS will SOMETIMES(I know its not 100%) get you a room for your requested stay. Does this only happen if you buy direct or do they help you out if you buy through resale as well?

I am asking this because we currently have a contract in ROFR(BWV..2nd attempt) If it gets passed, their are points that are banked that need to be used by 6/1/14. My husband and I will be going to an island early next year, so for us to use the banked points we would love to "try" and get a 5 day vacation in before December.

I read that because of the F&W Fest, BCV & BWV are always fully booked for DVC. Do you THINK MS could find us a room?? Anything, but the GV would work.

If not, are all DVC resorts filled to capacity for Sept.-Dec.?

Thanks for your help!
Old 04-18-2013, 08:29 AM   #2
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't have thought so. Pixie dust is a sales guide "myth" is does happen for some but not for many. I wouldn't expect any special treatment on a resale contract.

My advice would be not to panic and not to focus on a specific resort. Wait until you join then book whereever you can get in. Waitlist if you have to, be prepared to have a split stay and you should get something!
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-18-2013, 08:41 AM   #3
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2TwoMickeys View Post
Does this only happen if you buy direct or do they help you out if you buy through resale as well?
if you buy direct (typically only for resorts that are not "sold out"), guides can sometimes access the inventory that DVD owns to make a little magic happen to get a villa for the first trip.

but if you are buying resale, you save a lot of money, but you are on your own. you are not making a guide any money and you are not making DVD any profits, so the inventory is what it is.

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:45 AM   #4
Mommy2TwoMickeys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalee94 View Post
if you buy direct (typically only for resorts that are not "sold out"), guides can sometimes access the inventory that DVD owns to make a little magic happen to get a villa for the first trip.

but if you are buying resale, you save a lot of money, but you are on your own. you are not making a guide any money and you are not making DVD any profits, so the inventory is what it is.
Thanks, I figured that, but just wanted to double check!
Old 04-18-2013, 08:56 AM   #5
disfanforlife
DIS Veteran

We had our home resort booked for November at the 11 months window. I just changed it - but could only get part of the ressie (5 out of 7) days at BLT. I do think that there is availability. So, far, in 5 years we have always been able to get a room. We usually book at 11 months and change at 7.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:08 AM   #6
loveswdw
DIS Veteran

You should be able to get a room somewhere during F&W Fest but you won't get BCV or BWV. You could waitlist but I'd be pleasantly surprised if it comes through. I'd say you'll be able to get something at SSR, maybe OKW or AKV. Just depends on the dates and size villa you want.

OUR TRIPS March '14-RPR/AKVK Oct '11-BCV Oct '10-HHI June '10 (Star Wars Weekends)-Swan/BWV Feb/March '09-OKW (Spring Training) Oct '08-SSR/POR (Alex's 1st trip) Oct '07-OKW (Our 1st MNSSHP) Dec '06-BCV (Our 1st MVMCP) Oct '05-BCV March '05-OKW/AKL (Spring Training/Jonathan's first trip!) Oct '03-BCV (first trip HOME!) Sept '02-POFQ (first trip for my mom!) Sept '01-Hard Rock Hotel (had to stay there!!) Sept '00-CSR (Millennium celebration) Sept '99-POFQ (honeymoon!) Jan '98 ASMu (first trip--the WDW addiction begins!)
loveswdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:15 AM   #7
allegoricduck
Earning My Ears

We bought direct in August a few years ago and our guide set up a reservation for October at BWV while we were signing the papers.

I think it probably only happens when buying direct. They want to keep you in that room and finish the purchase.
allegoricduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:39 PM   #8
ChrisNY2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniesgal View Post
I wouldn't have thought so. Pixie dust is a sales guide "myth" is does happen for some but not for many. I wouldn't expect any special treatment on a resale contract.
I don't believe it's a myth. I just bought a couple of months ago and my DVC Product Understanding Checklist has the following clause:

"As a courtesy to first-time Members, DVD may assist you with securing your first DVC Resort reservation by using DVD inventory to secure your initial desired accommodations in exchange for your agreement to transfer to DVD the number of Vacation Points needed to secure the desired reservations. This first-time reservation assistance is subject to DVD's discretion to make it available, is subject to accommodation availability, and is only available for 30 days after the date you signed your Purchase Agreement...DVD is providing this assistance on a one-time basis only, and such assistance is not a typical reservation experience."

That said, I would expect that it's only for direct purchases, not resale.

Resorts so far (trying to stay at all of them!): GF, VGF, BLT, BC, BCV, BW, AKL, CB, CS, AS Sports, AoA, FW
ChrisNY2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:39 PM   #9
mom2boys77
DIS Veteran

We just bought today at AKL and our guide was able to reserve a 1bdrm villa at bay lake for a week around 4th of July! Definitely think that was a little Pixie Dust!!
Old 04-27-2013, 05:59 PM   #10
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

Just direct. It's the DVC guides that make the arrangement and I think it might be a little awkward to call your guide and say sorry we didn't purchase thru you but could you help us out?

But - if you're looking for anytime from Sept-Dec I'm sure you'll find something somewhere.

KAT4DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:15 AM   #11
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNY2 View Post
I don't believe it's a myth. I just bought a couple of months ago and my DVC Product Understanding Checklist has the following clause:

"As a courtesy to first-time Members, DVD may assist you with securing your first DVC Resort reservation by using DVD inventory to secure your initial desired accommodations in exchange for your agreement to transfer to DVD the number of Vacation Points needed to secure the desired reservations. This first-time reservation assistance is subject to DVD's discretion to make it available, is subject to accommodation availability, and is only available for 30 days after the date you signed your Purchase Agreement...DVD is providing this assistance on a one-time basis only, and such assistance is not a typical reservation experience."

That said, I would expect that it's only for direct purchases, not resale.
It isn't a myth but neither is it a given even for direct buyers. I have heard from more people that it didn't happen for than those that it did. It depends on the guide and on the availability
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:58 AM   #12
crisi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniesgal View Post
It isn't a myth but neither is it a given even for direct buyers. I have heard from more people that it didn't happen for than those that it did. It depends on the guide and on the availability
Even Tinkerbell cannot make rooms suddenly appear when there are none, and DVC isn't going to kick someone out of a room for a new owner. So if what you are looking for is Boardwalk View five months out for F&W, it isn't happening.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:25 AM   #13
CarolAnnC
Caught Smuggling Jello Shot Syringes From PI
Likes to shoot off her glock in chat
Goin' to the Chapel

As a previous poster stated, there is certain availability via DVD and on one of my direct purchases from DVC I was able to negotiate in a particular resort and room category that I needed for specific dates.

They went above and beyond, and it is one of the perks buying direct from Disney that does make it worthwhile at times, for sure.

This should be discussed with your DVC Guide prior to signing your paperwork. It would not be available to those buying resale, as I have also done in the past.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: