Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 02:18 PM   #1
canadiandisneycruise
Mouseketeer

So, after all the great advise I've received...

We took the plunge, and booked the DLH for our May vacation! So excited!!!

I booked it right on the Disneyland.com website, but there didn't seem to be a place to ask for the AAA discount. Since the hotel is now sold out, is there any point in asking for a better rate?

How early should we be at the gates for the one hour early entry? If the park opens at 9, when should we line up? Would you recommend more line up time for DCA?

I've received my photo pass +, but I don't think we will do any character meals. I can't seem to justify paying adult prices for my kids who don't eat like adults? Or, do you think just one is best? If yes, tell me your faves for 2 adults and kids 10, 13, 16. We've been several times before, but only to Goofys kitchen & Ariel's grotto.

I've been looking a lot at plans, but I think I just want to plan for the first few hours in the morning. I'm looking forward to the pools in May!!

Every time I see the Disney commercials, I just get even more excited! I can't wait to surprise my kids!!

Anything else we should not miss? Tell me your not to miss disney moments!!!
canadiandisneycruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:27 PM   #2
RalphMouth
Obviously freaky things always can happen beyond anyones control
It's a blast.......you'll love it !!

sold out ? what dates will you staying there ?
RalphMouth is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-27-2013, 02:36 PM   #3
canadiandisneycruise
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphMouth View Post
sold out ? what dates will you staying there ?
May 15-22
Old 04-27-2013, 03:24 PM   #4
smarie82181
Earning My Ears

The character meals are fun but the food is not spectacular. You are paying more for the experience. We live locally and have ap's and go quite often, but we tend to do a character meal around holiday time or when other friends or family come in. We just did Minnie and friends this last trip and it was just ok. We had fun but for the money we spent id rather spend it elsewhere. If you really want photo ops with multiple characters all in one place it may be more worth it to you. We also tried photo pass + this Christmas and got tons and tons of photos. I feel I was happier with the park photos then the breakfast photos (but then again my 4 year old was not pleased being up at 7am for the first seating of minnie ha ha)

To each their own but there are so many more magical things to do at Disney if it were me id skip the breakfast.
smarie82181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
canadiandisneycruise
Mouseketeer

So what's the one thing- food, ride, experience that's new within the past two years that we just should NOT miss? Of course we plan to do all the new Carsland rides!
Old 04-27-2013, 05:15 PM   #6
Watchtower
Mouseketeer

As far as what time to line up; your dates in May aren't usually overly crowded, so lining up 15 to 30 minutes before you're allowed into the parks should be fine....definitely closer to 30 minutes during early entry on the weekend mornings, since they'll be more crowded. I don't think earlier for DCA would be necessary. The recent expansions HAVE drawn more people into DCA, so now it's attendance is more or less equal to Disneyland's attendance, rather than being Disneyland's "overflow park". Don't use the private entrance in GCH for early entry into DCA....the line get's really long and takes forever. You'll get into the park quicker at the main entrance.
Watchtower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:47 PM   #7
IUTBAM
DIS Veteran

If you go to the AAA website for your area, you can access AAA rates on DLR hotels that way (go to Travel and look for the link to Disney). That's how I did it for our Christmas trip.
IUTBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:10 PM   #8
Rhonna
DIS Veteran

It's fine to call disney reservations and ask if they have a AAA rate (or any other discounts) they can apply to your existing reservation. If there is one, Disney will often do that without cancelling your ressie. A lot of people do this.

Flo's in CL is a fun and good place to eat. Carthay Circle is more expensive and fancy but also is being well received. We tried and like both places.

You'll love the DLH! It's really nice since the huge remodel.
Rhonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:29 AM   #9
canadiandisneycruise
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the information regarding our reservation! I'll call tomorrow. But please tell me what we should not miss? Food, snacks, souvenirs, etc!!
Old 04-28-2013, 10:34 AM   #10
Cheshirecatty
DIS Veteran

Hi, I think with kids 10, 13, and 16--your not miss moments will probably be mostly about the fast paced attractions--unless your kids are different than mine!

Having said that, here are some things my older kids loved in addition to rides:

Billy Hill and the Hillbillies
The Aladdin Show over ar DCA
Flag Retreat Ceremony in Town Square
Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln
Listening to the Royal St. Bachelors(in New Orleans Square)
People watching on Main St. with a Dole Whip/Root Beer Float

Just be sure to make time to enjoy some of the slower paced things that a lot of people miss because they are racing from ride to ride!!!

Have a wonderful trip!!!
Cheshirecatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:00 AM   #11
Galaviz
Earning My Ears

World of color at calif adventure is a must! Grab fast passes by grizzly rapids for the show. It places you up by the waterfront. Beautiful must-see. The Aladdin show at CA is great and a nice place to relax after a long day on your feet. We always enter the grand Californian through California adventure and have a quiet lunch at the whitewater cafe ( the poolside snack bar). They have the best steak or chicken nachos that can't be found anywhere else! The side entrance into the grand Californian is located by grizzly rapids. Soaring over California is also a must...toy story mania...tower of terror....and of course cars! Have fun on your trip!
Galaviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:20 AM   #12
OregonMinnie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaviz View Post
World of color at calif adventure is a must! Grab fast passes by grizzly rapids for the show. It places you up by the waterfront. Beautiful must-see. The Aladdin show at CA is great and a nice place to relax after a long day on your feet. We always enter the grand Californian through California adventure and have a quiet lunch at the whitewater cafe ( the poolside snack bar). They have the best steak or chicken nachos that can't be found anywhere else! The side entrance into the grand Californian is located by grizzly rapids. Soaring over California is also a must...toy story mania...tower of terror....and of course cars! Have fun on your trip!
I agree! WoC was incredible, and our last trip was the first time we had seen Aladdin, and we thought, why haven't we done this before now. It's a great, cool place to take a break, and the show was fantastic!

I also would suggest for your age group, doing Animation Academy. Especially if you have a kiddo who likes to draw. We ended up asking what the times were for DD two favorite characters to be drawn, and made it a point to go back at those times. We each took a stab at drawing them, and now they are some of our most favorite artwork. And the way they teach you makes it easy for even those of us who can't draw anything but stick people It is also another great resting place! Have fun!

Traci (43) DH(43) DD (11)

5/04 Staybridge Suites 4 days
10/06 Homewood Suites5 days
10/09 BWPPI 7 days
10/11 Desert Inn & Suites 7 days
10/13 Desert Inn OR Tropicana 7 days
OregonMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:52 AM   #13
mmmears
DIS Veteran

Congrats on booking the DLH! I would call Disney just in case you are able get the AAA discount.

As for fun things to do, besides the obvious, we really like the Animation Academy at DCA -- it's lots of fun, and also nice and cool on a hot day.

I think your plan of planning the mornings is great -- that's pretty much what I did and it worked really well. We did so much in the morning, then took a break in the afternoon. In the evenings, I find it best to just go on the rides that don't have the super-long lines. (Oddly enough, we found CS and TSMM pretty empty by 7pm when we were there).

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: