DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 04:59 AM   #16
disfanforlife
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by drusba View Post
Jan 1 is Wed. You will still have large Christmas size crowds until Friday, although they could last through the 4th. They will lighten fairly quickly after that. The hotel Christmas decorations will likely come down overnight between Jan 3 and 4. The will start taking park decorations down Jan 5 or 6 and those usually take a few days to take down completely. The marathon group comes in Wednesday as events start Thurs. However, the parks will actually not be real crowded during that weekend. You will have some blocked roads during the various race days although that usually ends by afternoon and it does not stop the park buses from running; they may just have some rerouting. After Sunday the 12, the marathon group will be gone and crowds will not be bad that whole week, The MLK group starts to move in Friday and crowds get heavy but it really is not hugely crowded during that time. After Jan 21, crowds will be fine again through the end of the month.

As to being warm enough for pools, it will be hit or miss. some years you can be there a week and have temps in high 70s all week and another year they can sit at 50 or below.What often occurs is that you get some warm days and some cool ones .
Thank you for that information! I talked with my DH and we agreed Arrive January 5 and depart on January 11. We might try the next week that would include MlK weekend the next year. This is our first year going one week with our son and another week with our daughters. 2015 we will hope to travel with all three kids together.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:15 AM   #17
robinb
DIS Veteran

Yes, there is availability in a 2BR (I assume, with 3 kids) and a 1BR at BWV for the start of that week. You should be able to book something when your points are deposited and then get on the waitlist for the other nights. I remembered the process of getting my points from Disney on my resales was pretty quick and painless.

My ONLY concern is the traffic closures on Saturday when you leave. You will have to allow a lot more time to get out of the Disney area when you leave for the airport.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-27-2013, 09:28 AM   #18
Li Li
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drusba View Post

As to being warm enough for pools, it will be hit or miss. some years you can be there a week and have temps in high 70s all week and another year they can sit at 50 or below.What often occurs is that you get some warm days and some cool ones .
This exactly! January is so hard to predict. We have gone different weeks in January the past six years or so, and it has generally been warm (70s and some 80s). But one year, we got 50s and 40s! Brr! Nothing like a picture of you in front of the castle with hooded sweatshirts!
Li Li is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:50 AM   #19
disfanforlife
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
Yes, there is availability in a 2BR (I assume, with 3 kids) and a 1BR at BWV for the start of that week. You should be able to book something when your points are deposited and then get on the waitlist for the other nights. I remembered the process of getting my points from Disney on my resales was pretty quick and painless.

My ONLY concern is the traffic closures on Saturday when you leave. You will have to allow a lot more time to get out of the Disney area when you leave for the airport.
Thank you again! We will only have two of kids with us. But, we really enjoy having the extra space of a two bedroom. If we can't get one we will squish in a smaller villa. This is the beginning of more complicated trip planning for us. Next year both of our daughters will be in college - so they can only go at certain times (not going to be skipping any classes). We have taken all three kids out of school to go in November during veteran's day week. So, we planned a trip then with our son. Then we started thinking more and decided to add on so that we could take two trips a year or go during busier times when we need more points. Also, we really wanted a home resort in the epcot area!
We will be using magical express so I assume they take the marathon into consideration and will pick us up early enough. Thank you for the heads up on that point though. I appreciate it! I really wanted to go in March when our daughters have spring break. But hubby thinks January will be quieter and the girls have more time off too. So, we will try it.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:53 AM   #20
disfanforlife
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li Li View Post
This exactly! January is so hard to predict. We have gone different weeks in January the past six years or so, and it has generally been warm (70s and some 80s). But one year, we got 50s and 40s! Brr! Nothing like a picture of you in front of the castle with hooded sweatshirts!
We can deal with the cold. We are from the north country. We went twice in February and both times it was cold. One year it was actually colder than home - 38 degrees one morning. I prefer it to be warmer of course, hopefully it will be.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:03 PM   #21
Fignewtons
Earning My Ears

My family went the last week of Jan one year, and the day weather was good, but a few evenings were cool. Otherwise the crowd levels were low at here and Universal. Many rides we were able to get right on. Being as I don't like a lot of heat, mid to late Jan is one of my favorite times to go.
Fignewtons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:19 AM   #22
disfanforlife
DIS Veteran

I showed my DH this thread. So now, he is not sure either which week to go. I thought for sure MLK would be busier and we should avoid it, but now I am concerned about the road closures and crowds during the marathon. Which is more crowded or are they about the same? If the marathon week is less crowded I think we will stick to that. If they are about the same I think we will change our ressie to the next week. Remember our whole idea of going in January was to avoid a crowded time, we had been booked march 16-21. But my DH got spooked reading and talking to others who have visited during spring break.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: