Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2013, 07:51 PM   #271
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

UGh, I really hate it when I read updates on my phone. I think I commented and I didn't. ARRGH.

That is a bummer about the lunch drama but the food looked darn tasty and the pictures, especially of the 3 girls, are adorable. Poor Kira and the restroom, that is just no fun.

Conceptually I love the idea of the Wishes Dessert Party but everytime I see pictures I go...huh. That's it? Of course I don't have a sweet tooth and avoid buffets so...I'm not the target market anyway

Kira looks recovered on her last birthday ride, nice way to end the day!
eandesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:20 AM   #272
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
UGh, I really hate it when I read updates on my phone. I think I commented and I didn't. ARRGH.

That is a bummer about the lunch drama but the food looked darn tasty and the pictures, especially of the 3 girls, are adorable. Poor Kira and the restroom, that is just no fun.

Conceptually I love the idea of the Wishes Dessert Party but everytime I see pictures I go...huh. That's it? Of course I don't have a sweet tooth and avoid buffets so...I'm not the target market anyway

Kira looks recovered on her last birthday ride, nice way to end the day!

I have a love hate relationship with my phone and dis.... I find it easy to check boards quickly with my phone...so love. But I really can't respond properly with it... so hate.

Yeah... I worried about the dessert party being too many sweets. In fact, Kira has always wanted to do it, but I always tell her no because on the dp we already eat too many. But... it was fun and even though I am not a huge fan of soft desserts.. what I did have was tasty.

And yes... Kira recovered well enough. I think that the mid day break probably helped.
annmarieda is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #273
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Ann, I was behind again, but I am caught up now, I think.

Sorry for the drama at lunch, but you got some great pictures of the girls with the Princesses.

How nice to get in one last Buzz ride, and Kira getting her one last "birthday" ride.
KatMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:59 AM   #274
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Ann, I was behind again, but I am caught up now, I think.

Sorry for the drama at lunch, but you got some great pictures of the girls with the Princesses.

How nice to get in one last Buzz ride, and Kira getting her one last "birthday" ride.
It isn't like you don't have a lot going on... I never seem to be completely caught up.

The drama wasn't really "drama" everyone was happy enough. It was just that poor Kira had an upset tummy. An afternoon back at the resort ( that is where my total time loss went) and she was feeling much better and ready for some treats and yes, her one last birthday ride.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:52 AM   #275
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

10/3 - Day 9 Part 1

The morning of 10/3 was a quiet one for me. Kira and Amanda did not want to join Zoe and I for breakfast. It had been discussed long before this day, so I knew this was the case. Not that I was happy about it... but it gave Zoe and I some alone time... and that is never a bad thing.

So after getting up and getting ready we quickly found our way here.

and look, still no one else in sight.

I know that a lot of people love the pre rd CP breakfast at MK. Don't get me wrong... I do to. But this breakfast at TH in AK ranks up there for me and perhaps is even my favorite. AK is so much more quiet and serene. I love the bit of mist that comes off of the "lake".

We checked in and soon were meeting with this guy.

One just with Zoe and Donald

My one gripe about the TH breakfast is that you don't get the photo with the meal. Since we had the pp+ this is the one and only time I have ever got this photo.

Soon we were seated at a nice little table for two. We quickly got our food.

And then of course the characters came around. I LOVE the safari outfits!!!

Once breakfast was over Kira and Amanda met up with us at AK.

We decided to go visit RPW. Where Zoe was surprised by some mischievous guys.

I am not sure if she knew quite what to think about them. It was definitely a bit of an intense character interaction.

Inside, we learned a bit from the cm about this hawk.

Next Up: 10/3 - Day 9 Part 2

Last edited by annmarieda; 04-27-2013 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:57 AM   #276
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

10/3 - Day 9 Part 2

Back from our adventure it was then time for another. I assume we had picked up fast passes before heading to RPW.

I think we saw some animals.

Oh yes! There is one!!

The obligatory rear shot.

So cool, it was feeding time!!!

I think one of my favorite animals is the elephant. Maybe because they are not so prone to giving me that "rear shot"

This guy was making a digging motion.

Well, he was definitely there...

Next Up: 10/3 - Day 9 Part 3

Last edited by annmarieda; 04-27-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:59 AM   #277
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

10/3 - Day 9 Part 3

After the safari we made our way to Asia. Stopping for what is I assume one of Zoe's favorite things in AK (since we always have to stop for her to play with)

But wait, there was another reason to stop!!!

In Asia, we found ourselves doing what most people head there for.

What a cool queue!

Now, I must have gone once with Zoe (it is about all I can tolerate) However from this day there are more pictures of Kira and Amanda on EE. I wonder did they sneak on here first thing while Zoe and I were at breakfast?

Toward the end of the day I talked Kira into going to see ITTBAB. She really does not like that show. It has always terrified her since she was young and we first saw it in DCA.

We were then done with AK for the day. On our way out we saw this guy.

He was HUGE! So I decided I needed a second picture to show scale.

Once back at POFQ we spent some more time at the pool.

It was such a nice day for it!

I am not sure where we went for lunch. We had an ADR at Chefs de France, but I know I canceled it. sometimes I wish I could just remember things.

What I do know is that we ended up in Epcot. Not sure if this is of the girls going from AK to POFQ or from POFQ to Epcot. The placement in the roll suggests it was after the pool time... but did they not change into different clothes? Maybe not... considering that this is FINALLY getting to the end of the trip. 10/4 is the last park day... with 10/5 being the travel day home. I bet we were low on changes of clothing.

We stopped in SS to eat.

I believe this was Amanda's

Kira and I had the tuna and it was as yummy as ever!

Zoe's meal

my dessert

Kira's dessert

After this we checked on the wait for Soarin. Even though the park was getting close to closing the line was still very long. So I did something that I had not done yet in the trip. I went to guest services and got Zoe a GAC. Technically, Zoe is disabled. However, I don't think she has any obvious outward signs. I try to not treat her differently and so getting the GAC is just not something I really think is necessary. However on this trip we had many an episode where due to her disability we had to leave the line. If the line is short there is not that much trouble... but the risk of waiting in a line for over an hour means that there is a good chance we would have to leave before getting to the front. Given that we had not yet road Soarin this trip and given that we only had one more day, I was able to justify taking advantage of the GAC. I honestly believed that if we had not, we would not have been able to ride Soarin. So please don't judge me

Of course at guest services, they were more than happy to give her the card. With the card in had we went back to Soarin and were able to ride.

Once we were done with the ride it was time to leave the park...both excited and sad that the next day would be our last full day in the park.

We really had not connected with B, L, S or K since our lunch. We had some text going back and forth but sadly we hadn't really seen much of each other.

B asked that Zoe and I stop by their room once we returned to POFQ. B was so nice and had a gift for both Zoe and I. Makes me sad now to think about it. I am sure I didn't seem as grateful as I actually was. I just am never sure how to act when I have nothing to give back. I am fine giving... and happy to do so, but I feel out of place when someone gives me something without having something to give to them.

I thought I had mentioned the shirts that she gave us in an earlier post... but it was in fact this night that she gave them to us. She was too kind.

Next Up: 10/4 - Day 10 Part 1

Last edited by annmarieda; 04-27-2013 at 10:17 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:30 PM   #278
momabaarjo
In Pursuit of Cupcaks & Booze, Running PHM

I love AK first thing in the morning...the fog in incredible over the lake! Your safari pictures are awesome!

Thinking we need to visit SS for dessert...

No judging on using the medical pass, sometimes you just need to do it... its not like you abuse the system. You are too hard on yourself.
momabaarjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:25 PM   #279
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momabaarjo View Post
I love AK first thing in the morning...the fog in incredible over the lake! Your safari pictures are awesome!

Thinking we need to visit SS for dessert...

No judging on using the medical pass, sometimes you just need to do it... its not like you abuse the system. You are too hard on yourself.

I am sure we will get a chance to enjoy a bit of the quiet in AK first thing. Maybe not as much as I did in the October because we are just doing EMH but I still think it will be wonderful. Plus with our plan to go on EE early... I will need to not have a full belly.

SS for dessert... or for those noodles!!! I LOVE those noodles...and tuna. YUM! Not sure why I didn't have any in February. I will HAVE to remedy that come September!

And thank you... I really didn't want to abuse the system. It was just I knew that how things were going, our only chance to ride Soarin would be with the GAC.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:03 PM   #280
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

10/4 - Day 10 Part 1

The day had finally come where we were leaving POFQ. We had originally planned to head home that day. Then one thing (like usual) lead to another with me and I found myself booking a return flight a day later than originally planned. However we made the decision to switch resorts. We didn't get the dp for that last night, but we did get to try a new resort that had only been open for a very short time.

We got everything packed up and out of the room. I took some final pictures.

Did I mention our room was directly in front of the pool?

and just a brief walk down the "street" to the main buildings.

I so loved this resort! It was so small and I love the theming!!

We let luggage services have all of our bags so that they could be transferred. Next we went to MK for the morning. I am not sure what we did. All I know is it was extremely hot that day.

Once we were done in MK, we went from there to AoA.
This was of course were we were headed for the night. When we arrived, we checked in. I want to say our room was not ready, but it must have been.

While I checked us in, Amanda fell in love with the lobby. She is a bit of an artist herself and to see the sketches like that, it had her in total awe. She took countless pictures.

I was struck with how much it reminded me of Pop. I mean.. I know it is a different theme... and yes, I know it is also basically the same layout... but it felt very much like Pop to me.

Gift shop

I have no idea what we each had for lunch. I do seem to recall that they "ran out" of most things and thus we settled for what we could get. I do know that the cupcake sampler that Kira was dying to try was what she did in fact get for dessert.

After our meal, we decided to check out our room. It was quite the walk to the LM section.

We came out of the main building and past the Nemo Section where the main pool is.

Then we had to walk through the Lion King Section.

Both Kira and Amanda, having been children born in the early 90's, would have preferred to stay in the LK section.

But those are suites... so on to the section that could accommodate us. With just a little bit more walking we finally arrived in front of him.

Then we found our room..which had the new key system in place (incidentally for those reading both my TR's CSR had it in February as well)

The theming of this room was OUT OF THIS WORLD!! Every detail was though of. It was definitely a wonderful room.

The view from outside our room.

Next Up: 10/4 - Day 10 Part 2

Last edited by annmarieda; 04-27-2013 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:11 PM   #281
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

10/4 - Day 10 Part 2

Once we were done oohing and ahhing over the room, we decided to head to Epcot. I wish we had planned a bit better. It was extremely hot and the pools looked VERY inviting. But guess what? Our luggage had not arrived yet and so no swimming suites.

So as I said, we decided to head to Epcot. It was so hot just waiting for the bus that I contemplated bailing and staying inside.

Soon enough though a bus came and we were on our way. Texting between B, I was told to meet S at the entrance so I could give her the pp+ card. In retrospect, I am not sure why we were all in Epcot yet not choosing to spend time together. I know that B and I texted back and forth about what we were doing, but we never connected. Honestly, I think she was trying to connect. I think I was just trying to get through the day. I was hot and tired... and so were the girls.

After we passed off the card to S and said good bye, we found a pp photographer and the girls got pictures taken.

After spending so much time waiting for buses...riding buses... Amanda and I decided we wanted to cancel our last ADR that would require us to leave epcot. We just were tired of running around. Kira was not particularly pleased with this. She had wanted to have a meal at Kona and tried desperately to plead her case in keeping the ADR.

Amanda and I won out and we changed our Kona reservation to one at Chefs de France (we had canceled this reservation on a different day)

Kira was a bit cranky over this but Amanda was also a tad cranky at the thought of spending more time on buses just to go eat when we could eat there in Epcot.

I think this may have contributed to why I wasn't connecting properly with B. I can just imagine she would have not been impressed with more young 20 year something drama.

After a little bit of pouting was over, we we made our way to WS where the girls got another pp picture taken

but I like this snugly one with just Zoe

We went on the Fiesta tour.

And then to China

Where the skies opened up and it rained like it had not rained all week.... it was CRAZY!

We tried to hope from cover to cover until we made it to Morroco. There we grabbed a meal to share and attempted to wait out the storm. As did a lot of other people.

[/URL]

It wasn't just rain at this point it was wind. Serious wind. We all held up in that small space and it felt as though we were all a strange group of refuges.

The rain never quite let up. Kira wanted to get "one last ride in" and Amanda was done being wet. I felt pulled in both directions...

Eventually it was time for dinner. I felt so bad for Zoe because she was so tired at this point. We ordered her meal, but she was asleep before it even came. The food was probably my favorite of the trip. I am not sure if it was because of how tired we all were or how wet we all were, but it was such a nice meal. (except for the fact Zoe missed out on the whole thing. )

Here are some of the pictures of what we had.

We had to carry Zoe out of the restaurant. The park was closed. It seemed so dreary... cold and wet. We got to the buses and were happy to get back to AoA. It was a very long walk back to our room though...and once there, we had to do a better job of packing up. Kira was being a bit nervous about how things were packed and spent time repacking as the rest of us attempted to sleep. It was not an easy night. After Kira finally settled in it was very late (after midnight) and the beds were smaller. We all tossed and turned and the morning came too quickly.

Next Up: 10/5 - Day 11 - GOING HOME!

Last edited by annmarieda; 04-27-2013 at 11:52 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:52 PM   #282
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

10/5 - Day 11 - GOING HOME!

Now it was time to go home. I had thought I did a good job booking a 9:30am flight home. However, DME wants to pick you up 3 hours prior to your flight and that meant 6:30am.

So many of my departure days are filled with ample drama and this day was just full to the brim.

The night before left us not falling asleep until it was almost time to get up. Ok, not really...but we might have been up till 2 am easily and then had to be up around 5am.

But let us back up a bit more. We really had not even been at AoA for 24 hours. This meant that before we got back to the room there was not a bounce back offer in it. (keep this in mind) It also meant that the day we would have received our DME notice, we were not there (keep this in mind)

So tired but finally packed we made our way to the front desk

First I took a picture of the room number.

Then we made that long walk in the dark.

While I think the room was A MAZING! I do not think the location is good for someone who uses the buses. There was a parking lot close by...and I can see if you have your own car it would work nicely. However we did not have a car and needed to catch one last bus. That DME bus. So we walked. And we walked... and WALKED It is a good 10 minute walk from that section to the front.

Once we got the the front we found out we had missed the DME bus. Why? Because I just assumed that we should be there by 6:30. I believe it came at about 6am. And while we were in fact early by the time I wanted us to be there. (I want to say about 6:10) we were late for that bus. I am not sure why I just assumed like that. I think it had just been such a long trip and there had been so a many times that I just wanted to crawl into a corner and cry.... that I just was spent in a way that I normally wouldn't have been. It affected my judgement and my behavior.

Kira was instantly HOT. Which of course meant that I had to do some damage control. I am usually good at damage control...smoothing things over... mediating...etc. AND luckily I was able to do this. So the cm was able to help us and soon enough we were squeezed into a slot for the next DME. I want to say we were not the only ones though... I want to say that there were quite a few of us who were waiting...who missed an earlier DME. I think this because I seem to remember a very large group of us on the bus groan when the bus driver (who was way to chipper for it being so early) proceeded to play a prank on us letting us "think" we had to stop at a number of resorts and estimating a very LONG drive time (I want to say an hour or so) We all breathed a sigh of relief though when he laughed and said he was only kidding and that he would get us all there very quickly.

We did in fact make it to the airport in time but it seems to me that we didn't have a lot of time. Just enough to get through security and get in line to board.

An uneventful flight to Kansas city where we stopped. We had a three hour layover. The plan was for us to grab something to eat. But there was not many places to eat in that airport. So we waited.

With all of that time though it gave me some time to think about the bb offer that had been in our room when we went back to it the previous night. The office you have to call in order to book a bounceback was closed when we got back to the room. It was also closed when we went to leave. So you have to book before you leave, right? So when could this happen. Well, I called to see. It could work for the following fall. However I had to talk to my travel buddies before I just booked. (although in retrospect I should have just plunked down a deposit and held something. ) Good to keep in mind if ever in that position again. Better to book and then cancel rather than not book and realize you should have.

I got in touch with one of the gals and gave her the info to see if she could call back. I would be on a flight all day and would not be on the ground again before the office was again closed.

When she called, she was told in no uncertain terms and quite rudely that she could not take care of it for me.

The flight from Kansas to Seattle was fine and we arrived safe and sound. Josh picked up Kira and Amanda (since he would be taking them to their new home in a different town) Steve picked up Zoe and I. We were starving and arrived in time to eat dinner. (thankfully)

Next Up: A Recap

Last edited by annmarieda; 04-28-2013 at 12:06 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:40 AM   #283
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

A Recap

I want to thank you all for reading along. This was not an easy report to write. I was so overwhelmed for most of the trip. I also didn't take any notes. Both of these factors contributed to my fuzzy memory.

I have come to appreciate my contributions to drama and mishap. I am happy to say that I didn't allow myself to be stressed on my february trip and I have little to no stress regarding the upcoming fall trip. (well, except for the double bed issue... but I will survive and I HAVE now mentioned it to a couple of my travel companions )

I hate to think that I was not the kind of friend to B that I should have been. I do miss her terribly at times. She had become such an important part of my everyday life..even though she lived on the opposite side of the country.

Kira has still not recovered fully from the trip. She did manage to go on a road trip and drive to DLR for a few days. However she had Josh with her and it was just the two of them. I know she is still a bit down on Disney in general because she shows barely any interest in the pending DVC purchase Steve and I are about to make.

Amanda I think has recovered although I have not seen her since Thanksgiving.

Zoe is anxious to go on any and all trips to Disney. She does wish we had swam at AoA and I feel bad for her that we didn't....mainly because I don't know when the next time we will or if we will stay there again.

My Take on POFQ - I loved it. The location of our room on the first floor across from the pool could not have been more convenient. I loved the theme and I would rank that among my top favorite resorts.

My take on AoA - I liked it. The location of our room was horrid though and even though the view of the pool would have been a nice feature had we stayed longer, it was a LONG walk. I would not have wanted to do that every day. The overall theme was fun, but I think with Zoe (as well as myself) getting older that "fun" is just a bit less enjoyable and the need for a more relaxed resort is more appealing.

Food and Wine Festival- I sadly only ate one item. Nothing else seemed appealing so I left feeling disappointed. I am truly hoping that it was just me being crazy due to stress. I would like to really take advantage come this fall.

Wishes Dessert Party - I was disappointed. I would have liked more pastries and less soft desserts. I do think I would try it again though if for no other reason that the view of the fireworks.

MNSSHP - Oh! So much fun! I will let you all in on a sad sad secret of mine. I love trick or treating. So much so that I did it all the way through my teen years. (when I had Kira I was 21, but people guessed I was 13..so I always looked young) I only regret not being able to see the fireworks.

Tower of Terror Ten Miler - I can't wait to run again. I know that there was a lot of drama in the end regarding this race. However, I really truly had a wonderful time. It was my first big race and the one that really sparked my love of rundisney events. I do regret how mismatched B and I were in our goals for the race and our overall abilities.

Bibbitie Bobbitie Boutique - It is unlikely we will return. Even if Zoe were wanting to have the make over, the price spent did not match the service we got. I was less than impressed with her messy hair do. She had such a wonderful FGIT the previous time, but this time something went horribly wrong with the FGIT's training.

Favorite Meal - Kouzzina. I think the quiet calm breakfast to myself where I was able to be proud of myself for the accomplishment of the night before was lovely.

Least Favorite Meal - Yak and Yeti. To be fair, I didn't really eat but a salad there since I had just come from my favorite meal. If I took this out of the options, Akershus would have to be the least favorite due to the overal taste of the food. Just way too heavy.

Favorite Moment of the trip
- Taking the time for myself to have breakfast at Kouzzina

Least Favorite Moment - B seeing Kira have a meltdown on the bus.

Thanks again for sticking with me. I know it has been a slow moving report!
Old 04-28-2013, 11:25 PM   #284
lilpixiebabe101
DIS Veteran

Location: Lousiana- 14 hours away from my happiest place on earth!!!

Wonderful wrap up to your TR Ann! I really cannot wait till we are all there. You talking about your last day makes me sad already for our last day!

And that Disney CM was by far the worst customer service rep I have EVER talked to. And not just Disney. EVER!!!
lilpixiebabe101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:46 PM   #285
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpixiebabe101 View Post
Wonderful wrap up to your TR Ann! I really cannot wait till we are all there. You talking about your last day makes me sad already for our last day!

And that Disney CM was by far the worst customer service rep I have EVER talked to. And not just Disney. EVER!!!
Last days always come too quick. I think I was ready to go home though. Being gone 11 days was a LONG time. Course... I will be gone 10 for ours. I think it won't feel so long though since I don't have to manage anyone but me.

I do feel bad you had to go through that with that cm! I also felt bad that I couldn't get things to work out when we were really hoping to get a bb offer...either there or while I was at the phm weekend. (man... I do suck a bit don't I ) It all worked out though.. since we are checking in later now than the dates were for bb. (last day to check in was 9/26)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: