DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 11:12 PM   #1
disneychic
DIS Veteran

Has anyone booked Tokyo Disney with only 4.5 months notice?

My DH will be traveling to Tokyo for his job for a few weeks in late Aug/early Sept. I'd love to take a few of those days and stay at one of the TDL resorts. Has anyone used points there? How far out did you book?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Last edited by disneychic; 05-10-2013 at 01:35 PM.
disneychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:03 PM   #2
tfc3rid
DIS Veteran

Try for the TDL Hotel... There is usually some accommodation there...

I used points and booked 6 months in advance for Miracosta and TDH. I like the Tokyo Disneyland hotel better...

tfc3rid is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-26-2013, 09:12 PM   #3
cseca
My legs are wimpy but my will is stronger...

If you can't get the rooms on points check out the Hilton Tokyo bay. It's pretty nice and not too far from the monorail line. You can walk or take the quick and darn cute shuttle from the hotel to the station.
Lots cheaper than staying on any of the 3 Disney hotels.
cseca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:31 AM   #4
disneychic
DIS Veteran

There's NOTHING available at all 3 resorts for any of my dates! And to book the Ambassador for 5 nights as a cash reservation is $3400!!! So, I've booked the Hilton Tokyo Bay for 1/2 of that price. The whole trip has now morphed into this mega- trip. Now my inlaws are going too. I am now going 5 days earlier than my DH - who, BTW -
is the whole reason we are going in the first place! But my MIL wants to do a 9 day tour package that starts on the 19th so I'll fly in with them and do 5 nights in Tokyo and then 3 in Kyoto and then back to Tokyo when the tour ends on the 27th. My in laws will go home on the 27th (after the tour ends) and I'll need to take the Shinkansen by myself from Kyoto to Tokyo (I'm a bit intimidated by the thought of this) and find my way to The Tokyo Bay Hilton (any advice or tips on navigating the Shinkansen would be a God send!) I plan to do Disney for 3 days (Weds, Thurs & Friday) my husband will then join me on Friday for dinner when his program ends and we'll have Saturday, Sunday, Monday together to see a few more things before we go home on Tuesday.. Somehow this trip is now 16 days - and I am in shock! I never even dreamed I'd get to go to Japan. So. I'm going to really enjoy it and see as much as I can because chances are I'll never get an opportunity like this again.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:35 AM   #5
tinibee
Mouseketeer

I tried to use my points for a room in June and couldn't get anything either. I think I will keep calling in hopes something comes available. As for the train, almost all the sign you will need will have English. If you haven't already, check out hyperdia.com. Without it, I'd never figure out how to ride the train in Japan ;-)
tinibee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:11 AM   #6
tfc3rid
DIS Veteran

Folks can book from 6 months and can reserve a room without leaving a cash deposit... So a ton of rooms are booked on Day 1 but folks end up canceling as the dates get closer... The impact of this on points available rooms? Not sure.

tfc3rid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:32 AM   #7
disneychic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinibee View Post
I tried to use my points for a room in June and couldn't get anything either. I think I will keep calling in hopes something comes available. As for the train, almost all the sign you will need will have English. If you haven't already, check out hyperdia.com. Without it, I'd never figure out how to ride the train in Japan ;-)
Thanks for the tip on hyperdia!

Old 05-06-2013, 09:04 AM   #8
stitchineeyore
Mouseketeer

we've been a couple of times. JNTO (japan national tourism board, I think) has a nice website and was helpful for us. I was going to also suggest you look into the Japan Rail Pass. This is a pass that you must purchase before entering the country, and basically gets you all over the country, with very few limitations. It is good from the day you enter Japan until the day you leave. Only available to tourists. However, if I understand correctly, you will be on a tour with your folks all except the last portion of the trip? If this is correct and your train transfers are a part of that organized tour, then it may be more cost effective for you to buy your additional tickets out of pocket. You might want to read up on the JR pass (just google it) and figure out if you would save any money by going that way. Also, while the signs are in English in all the major cities, the Kyoto train station is HUGE. Very confusing, with multiple entrances and exits. First time we went we wandered around forever. And the staffer who spoke english at the info desk was gone. We finally found our way to our train, but it was exhausting. Any advance info you can equip yourself with re-navigating the building would probably help you a lot. It's an amazing country-have a wonderful time!

stitchineeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:49 AM   #9
pequele
Some people think they are cool because they can hide behind a screen! Don't choke on it!

Ok I would LOVE to hear about your trip. I want to go to TD either end of 2014 or sometime in 2015. Have you come across any trip reports etc? I am already nervous as I just don't "get" how it works there! There is no ME so I freak at the thought of just going from the airport to TD ahaha. I wouldn't mind if it was just me, I just wouldn't want to lose my now 4yo (who knows how old he will be by the trip depending on when we went) especially if I have to tote HIS luggage too!! Eek!

DL: '77,'88,'89,'90,'98, 2/12-WDW:CBR-pirate room, 12/12: AKV-Kidani , 5/13 AKV-Jambo and Kidani split with a DCL 3 night Bahamian Cruise on the Dream, 10/13 AKV-Kidani, 5/14 Alaskan 9 Night Cruise on the Wonder 10/14 B2B 4 nighters on the Dream including a double dip at Castaway Cay 7/15 Baltic 12 Nighter including Germany
pequele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:41 PM   #10
jstarcze
DIS Veteran

I'm thinking, correct me if I'm wrong, but the rule of four could be applicable here depending on your use year. It means you can't book and stay on a reservation in the Disney collection during the last four months of your use year.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:45 AM   #11
tinibee
Mouseketeer

Have you looked at Lurkyloo's Tokyo Trip Report (http://www.disboards.com/showthread....light=lurkyloo). Its one of the most thorough trip reports for TDR as well as Tokyo in general. I read it extensively before I came to Japan and it was very helpful.

I would agree on the Japan Rail Pass. Regular shinkansen tickets are very expensive. I was looking at traveling during spring break from Yokohama to Osaka and it was going to be over $250 round trip for an adult. It was cheaper for me to fly to Korea from Japan than to take the shinkansen!
Old 05-10-2013, 08:00 AM   #12
disneychic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchineeyore View Post
we've been a couple of times. JNTO (japan national tourism board, I think) has a nice website and was helpful for us. I was going to also suggest you look into the Japan Rail Pass. This is a pass that you must purchase before entering the country, and basically gets you all over the country, with very few limitations. It is good from the day you enter Japan until the day you leave. Only available to tourists. However, if I understand correctly, you will be on a tour with your folks all except the last portion of the trip? If this is correct and your train transfers are a part of that organized tour, then it may be more cost effective for you to buy your additional tickets out of pocket. You might want to read up on the JR pass (just google it) and figure out if you would save any money by going that way. Also, while the signs are in English in all the major cities, the Kyoto train station is HUGE. Very confusing, with multiple entrances and exits. First time we went we wandered around forever. And the staffer who spoke english at the info desk was gone. We finally found our way to our train, but it was exhausting. Any advance info you can equip yourself with re-navigating the building would probably help you a lot. It's an amazing country-have a wonderful time!
Yes, I will be on a tour for the first 9 days then at Tokyo Disney Bay Hilton for 7 nights (we added on another night here). So, all of my transfers are included until I take the Shinkansen from Kyoto back to Tokyo. So, I don't think the rail pass will be worth the cost as I only will need the train for that day. Then I'll get one of the passes for the monorail and then we leave from the resort to the airport we will use limo bus.

The tour ends in Kyoto so when the others board their train for Osaka I will have to get back tonTokyo. I have plans to ask our tour guide for assistance in purchasing my return to Tokyo either the day we arrive at Kyoto station or the last morning.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:07 AM   #13
disneychic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pequele View Post
Ok I would LOVE to hear about your trip. I want to go to TD either end of 2014 or sometime in 2015. Have you come across any trip reports etc? I am already nervous as I just don't "get" how it works there! There is no ME so I freak at the thought of just going from the airport to TD ahaha. I wouldn't mind if it was just me, I just wouldn't want to lose my now 4yo (who knows how old he will be by the trip depending on when we went) especially if I have to tote HIS luggage too!! Eek!
Thanks! I've started a blog if you are interested in following along with the planning and then the trip. Jens Travel Journey to Japan

I've read and re-read luckyloos blog/TR about 15 x! Also, I've downloaded a guide book on TDL from amazon. Unfortunately there's not a whole lot out there. I am doing my best to document all if my planning and then my experiences once I get there.

Last edited by disneychic; 05-10-2013 at 02:16 PM. Reason: added blog info
Old 05-11-2013, 05:49 AM   #14
tinibee
Mouseketeer

I looked at your blog. If you go to Hakone, there is an onsen there where you can wear a swimsuit, or there is a full monty area too. I heard is nice, but haven't been myself. Its on my very long list of thing to do while in Japan. ;-)
Old 05-12-2013, 03:17 PM   #15
mouseclick1
DIS Veteran

We recently spent two weeks in Japan for spring break and loved every minute of it. As much as I wanted to see Tokyo Disney, we were just too busy to make it!

One thing that I found helpful when taking the shinkansen was to look up the exact train I wanted to take on hyperdia using my ipad, then take a screen shot of it. When I got to the ticket counter to get my ticket, I simply showed them my ipad and pointed to the route I wanted to take. A cell phone pic would also do the trick.

Have a wonderful time! I hope you love it as much as we did!
mouseclick1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: