Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 09:04 AM   #31
neg58
DIS Veteran

I took one look at the pools and decided they weren't for me. The area is crowded and very loud, so not enjoyable. If the pool were the most important thing to me on a vacation, I would not pick a cruise. Pools on cruises were intended to cool off or soak, not to play like at an olympic sized swim club.

I don't think other ships are better, they just may have fewer kids.

Don't get me started on the hot tubs! Gross.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:32 AM   #32
missyp
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post

I have cruised the Magic/Wonder three times... NEVER was "shocked" by what I saw at the pool as I was on the Dream.

IMHO part of the problem is the pools are basically close to the same size. The Dream/Fantasy class pools are only a little bigger. But there are LOTS more cruisers using the same space.... Design failure by Disney.
How about the buffet lines. It seems they mastered that on the dream and the fantasy, were the lines really long on the wonder/ magic?

DCL Wonder- 11/14
DCL Wonder- 04/14
DCL Dream- 02/13
missyp is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-27-2013, 11:59 AM   #33
CanuckTraveller
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I am a trained lifeguard...

And IMHO it was a REAL problem on my Dream cruise.

Here's my suggestion Go early or late But at midday on sea days PLAN on doing something else.

It's a shame and I can't figure out why parents are lined up 50 deep at the Guest Services counter to raise Heck, but Disney does not seem inclined to limit the number of bodies or do anything else to deal with the issue.
I couldn't agree more, and I was very disappointed that the cruise survey/feedback form on board didn't ask about the pools. The online survey did, and I wrote s small essay about how unsafe we felt the pools were. We won't be taking another DCL cruise until our boys are physically bigger (they were 8&5 on our March, 2013 cruise). I was in the big pool with them the whole time and had kids jumping on me, then got a dirty look when I asked said child not to jump on people The Mickey pool was literally wall-to-wall kids, and even though I was watching DS2 the whole time, I had a hard time finding him if he decided to float and kick for a few meters.
To say that we shouldn't use the pools at peak hours is ridiculous imnsho. We live in Canada and go south to do things we cannot do in winter, like swim outside. We have been on three NCL cruises at peak times (Christmas and New Years) and have never had such problems with pools, even though some parents on that line also take a break from parenting their children while on vacation...but I digress! So from my experience, it has nothing to do with the number of people on board, but rather a ship with pools which do not meet the needs of the number of guests on board. I'm not going to pick a vacation and spend a lot of money on it just to tell my boys they can't do x, y or z.
Fwiw we cruise Breakaway in March, 2014.
CanuckTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:19 PM   #34
Stinkerbell1973
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal68 View Post
The pools can be packed. My daughters favorite time to go to the pool was at night(even though the air can be chilly) We sat there and watched the movie on the big screen and had our snacks while she swam in the very empty pool.
We did this too. 2 out of our 3 at sea days we were in the pool by 9ish, out around 12-1, then back in at night. When possible, I don't like being out during the hottest part of the day anyway (1pm to 4pm) so it worked out great for us.
And as PP's have said, there's so many other things to do onboard and we found them!

Oct 08, Oct 09, Sept 10, Feb 11, Sept 13, Sept 14 - Ft. Wilderness | Mar 11 - All Star Sports | Sept 11 - Pop Century
Dec 11 - Christmas at Fort Wilderness | Feb 12 - Coronado Springs | Oct 12 - Paradise Pier (Disneyland) | Dec 12 - Port Orleans French Quarter | Dec 13 - Caribbean Beach

Disney Fantasy - Apr 2013, Eastern Caribbean
Disney Magic - May/June 2014, Mediterranean

Girl's Weekend! - Yacht Club, Nov 2014
Thankful to be going back to the Fort! - Fort Wilderness, Thanksgiving 2014
Reunion with friends from UK we met on our Med cruise - Apr 15
Stinkerbell1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:18 PM   #35
Lucijoy
Earning My Ears

Quote:
I have cruised the Magic/Wonder three times... NEVER was "shocked" by what I saw at the pool as I was on the Dream.

IMHO part of the problem is the pools are basically close to the same size. The Dream/Fantasy class pools are only a little bigger. But there are LOTS more cruisers using the same space.... Design failure by Disney.
On the Magic it was just my husband and me, so we stuck to the adult pools. But just my observation of the family pools was I was glad we could avoid them. We had a nice swim in the adult area the midmorning we were in Nassau (before the rain) but even that pool was rather crowded on the day at sea. Fortunately we're not big pool people. Went to POFQ after the cruise and got my pool time in there.
Lucijoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:38 PM   #36
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

I do have to say that for most of our cruise on the Dream, the adult pool was pretty much empty.
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

declansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #37
MrsBoyer428
Mouseketeer

On the Fantasy the.pools.are.packed. Period. There is so much "non-parenting" that goes on there that there is no way unless for some reason the pools were not "Standing Room Only" that I would let my kids go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookwood View Post
so how is the Adult pool on Fantasy? Is it Adult soup?
We went to the adult pool on our final sea day. It was nice to be in the water, not terribly packed, but the water was also cloudy. Not as bad as the family pool, just full of sunscreen and other peoples ick. I'm not a huge public pool person, so that may just be my opinion. I did notice that the adult pools were less busy when I walked by on my way to other parts of the ship. Not bad, but not something that's going to be high on my "to do" list on our next cruise.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:23 PM   #38
MrsBoyer428
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58 View Post

Don't get me started on the hot tubs! Gross.

Nancy

agreed
Old 05-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #39
dpuck1998
I'm innocent I tell you...innocent! I've been framed!

Worlds second largest Miami Dolphin fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckTraveller View Post
I couldn't agree more, and I was very disappointed that the cruise survey/feedback form on board didn't ask about the pools. The online survey did, and I wrote s small essay about how unsafe we felt the pools were. We won't be taking another DCL cruise until our boys are physically bigger (they were 8&5 on our March, 2013 cruise). I was in the big pool with them the whole time and had kids jumping on me, then got a dirty look when I asked said child not to jump on people The Mickey pool was literally wall-to-wall kids, and even though I was watching DS2 the whole time, I had a hard time finding him if he decided to float and kick for a few meters.
To say that we shouldn't use the pools at peak hours is ridiculous imnsho. We live in Canada and go south to do things we cannot do in winter, like swim outside. We have been on three NCL cruises at peak times (Christmas and New Years) and have never had such problems with pools, even though some parents on that line also take a break from parenting their children while on vacation...but I digress! So from my experience, it has nothing to do with the number of people on board, but rather a ship with pools which do not meet the needs of the number of guests on board. I'm not going to pick a vacation and spend a lot of money on it just to tell my boys they can't do x, y or z.
Fwiw we cruise Breakaway in March, 2014.
I've only been on DCL, what do you think NCL does to make the pools more manageable? I've considered other lines and am genuinely curious how the pools are better on other lines.

Aug03'Yacht Club Concierge;Feb04'OKW;Oct04'Poly;Jan05'SSR;Jan06'SoG;April06'BCV/RPR;Jan07'BCV;
March07'Cruis'en;Sept07'HRH/MNSSHP;Dec07'Xmas@BCV;June08'VWL;May09'AKV/Podcast Cruise;Dec09'BCV/AKV for Xmas
April10'POR
dpuck1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:18 PM   #40
dpuck1998
I'm innocent I tell you...innocent! I've been framed!

Worlds second largest Miami Dolphin fan

Like others have said, we either go early in the morning or at night. Even with kids we always choose late dining, the pools are virtually empty during first dining times, as most people are at the shows or eating. We've seen the shows so if we want pool time that is the best, plus hanging in the pool watching the giant TV is a blast. Also the same for the aqua duck, early or late = almost no lines.

Aug03'Yacht Club Concierge;Feb04'OKW;Oct04'Poly;Jan05'SSR;Jan06'SoG;April06'BCV/RPR;Jan07'BCV;
March07'Cruis'en;Sept07'HRH/MNSSHP;Dec07'Xmas@BCV;June08'VWL;May09'AKV/Podcast Cruise;Dec09'BCV/AKV for Xmas
April10'POR
dpuck1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:44 PM   #41
MagicRat
Mouseketeer

Have done two Dream cruises and going on the Fantasy next week. I love Disney and Disney cruises, but that said, anytime I tell friends about DCL I tell them upfront not to go with DCL if the pools are a priority. Everything else I can wholeheartedly recommend, but the pool situation is ridiculous.

However, interestingly, my favorite moment of my last cruise was the evening my 10 yo DS and I skipped the show and went for some swim/Aquaduck time. We had the Mickey pool and the Aquaduck pretty much to ourselves, and swimming with him at night and laughing as we watched The Lion King (Simba and Mustafa scenes ) on Funnelvision was something I'll always remember!
Old 05-06-2013, 01:56 PM   #42
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpuck1998 View Post
Like others have said, we either go early in the morning or at night. Even with kids we always choose late dining, the pools are virtually empty during first dining times, as most people are at the shows or eating. We've seen the shows so if we want pool time that is the best, plus hanging in the pool watching the giant TV is a blast. Also the same for the aqua duck, early or late = almost no lines.
Agree 100%

Best way to beat the crowds & have fun at the same time with your children.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:50 PM   #43
wdwwishes
DIS Veteran

While I've not cruised on other lines, I've heard that pool issues are across the board. I don't think they can make them too big due to the weight of the water. On our recent cruise on the Fantasy they were always packed as was the hot tub in that area which we deemed the sea of p--. I don't know what the answer is.
A.K.L. 2008, 2011
Poly 2009
Wilderness Lodge 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014
The Wonder 2007, 2009, 2011
The Fantasy 2013
The Dream 2014
The Magic 2015
wdwwishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:07 PM   #44
Dogsambam
Mouseketeer

Royal Caribbean has it down on the Allure and Oasis. Maybe DCL should consult someone who designed the space on RCCL. Yes I agree other lines have their issues with The pools, but it seems like DCL dropped the ball big time on the new ships.
Dogsambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:32 PM   #45
njdisneylovr
Mouseketeer

We were on a sold out ship (Easter 2012) and never found the pools to be too crowded, however, being early risers, we were in the pool by 9 am and out by 12/1. During our nightly trips ( yes, trips as in more than one) to the ice cream station, there were maybe 2 people in the pools at night. It really looked neat with the lights, but a tad chilly for me. I think I will try and brave it next time and do a night swim.
njdisneylovr is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: