Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2013, 11:56 PM   #31
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancaster
Hi Everyone,
I hope I'm posting in the right area...
We are total newbies, it's our first Disney Cruise in late January and everyone is excited!

We're a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 small kids).
We love the beach and the girls are probably too small for excursions.
Is it realistic to arrange a beach day ourselves for both stops instead of using the cruise line's "Add Activity"?
(The reason I ask is the only beach day in Cozumel we can all join based on age works out to $290, and our one daughter is not tall enough to enjoy what's included)

Any other fun activities you suggest for little ones?

Thanks!
So ditto about Chankanaab. We've gone twice and would go back tomorrow. Paid a taxi, not bad, and about $26 that included a souvenir T-shirt I still love. We watched an adorable sea lion show, watched the dolphin encounters as we walked by, headed to all the happy thatched shady huts, played some beach volleyball , swam off of the stairways to all the very lovely fish who were very used to people, ate the most incredible Mexican food, pay as you order, (fresh ceviche, amazing fish tacos, real hand made guac,) and had great waiters who kept us margarita ready upon request. Iguanas hanging out. Amazing beautiful 'beaches' (there is a rock wall after the sand) and two absolutely great days there. Would go back tomorrow.

For Cayman, we bought an excursion to snorkel at the famous stingray shallow waist deep sandbar, and an option was to let us off at royal palms beach for a day, included with our excursion wristband. Had to take a $4 shuttle back to ship. Well worth it. Had a great lunch there too and had a nice beach day. Snorkeled a little bit there but its pretty busy so less fish...

Two great ports. Hope you have as much fun as we did!
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:44 PM   #32
ilovedoxies
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtopher4 View Post
Nachi Cocum
Going my 2nd time next month.. It's all inclusive.. The lunch is to die for good.. all you can drink..bottled water.. snacks.. bathrooms a pool.. beautiful beach.. it's picturesque..
Highly recommend

Cab fare is $16 each way

They limit the amount of poople so it's not crowded
Ditto this. Just got back and loved Nachi Cocum. Quiet, good food, beautiful water. Just lovely. My 5 and 8 year old loved it too!
ilovedoxies is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-26-2013, 10:57 PM   #33
CaymanPrincess
Mouseketeer

Hi, I just wanted to say you are very safe in Grand Cayman, unlike other Caribbean Islands. So walk around a little in town, and don't forget to visit our beautiful beach! Captain Marvins & Red Sail Sports are wonderful tour operators, so don't be scared to go online and book with these companies. I don't recommend walking to the beach as our roads are very narrow, and while cars try and avoid pedestrians, its really tight. Hop a bus, it is safe. If a bus/mini van is honking at you, its asking if you need a lift, so signal if you need a ride. Enjoy!!
CaymanPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:30 AM   #34
owensamo
DIS Veteran

Our plan for Grand Cayman is to visit the museum (walking distance from the port - http://www.museum.ky/) and do some shopping. We've got tours planned for Costa Maya and Cozumel, so Grand Cayman is our keep-it-simple port.
Disney Magic: 7N - 1/19/08, 1/17/09, 12/19/09; 14N EBTA - 5/14/11; 12N N Europe - 7/22/15
owensamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:51 AM   #35
tinyteen19401
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectmatch300 View Post
Grand Cayman Turtle Farm

http://www.turtle.ky/

You can book online if you want to avoid the port vendors.
How much time would you say it could take you to do Turtle Farm? We have a 5 year old and a 1 year old. I was thinking of just doing 7 mile beach because I am worried about not making it back in time.
tinyteen19401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #36
bjazz
Earning My Ears

We tried to book Family Day at Tiki Beach at Grand Cayman but it was fully booked so we got a day pass for the Westin Grand Cayman and loved it! It was $156 total for the 4 of us and included a room and use of the resort. Food and drinks are extra. Suggest booking ahead. We took a taxi to the resort.

In Cozumel, we booked the Dolphin Discovery experience through the cruise line and that was fun too!
bjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:10 PM   #37
WicketsMom
Mouseketeer

Chankanaab in Cozumel would be my choice. Nice beach/snorkeling area, you can watch the dolphin swims (no charge to watch), nature trails with lots of iguanas roaming a round, and good food.

Great snorkeling in Grand Cayman at Eden Rock + easy walk from tender dock) but no beach area. Turtle farm is great and so is stingray city. Beware who you get turtle farm tours from. One of our table mates on a Carnival cruise in 2009 got one and the driver parked the van by the wall and let them look in but it didn't include admission!

WicketsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:38 PM   #38
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Another vote for Chank. We get a taxi and go to Chankanaab park. Amazing food, sea lion shows, incredible reef snorkeling, great huts to lounge under so plenty of shade on the beach. Its about $25 to get in and you get a shirt. (Not sure how much for kids.).its not far from the pier. The taxi drivers I think get kick backs for recommending other places. They tried to get us to go some where else but we were dead to go to Chank so they finally took us. We have always had a great day there! Id go tomorrow if Coz was on the itinerary.
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:00 AM   #39
MoxieandPixie
Mouseketeer

On Grand Cayman you can do some excursion for the beach or even the stingray city. Most tour operators rely on this business and make sure you get back on time. Read travel reviews online. I think Stingray City would be fun for your family. One person could stay on the boat with the 1 year old (who probably wouldn't be a charge) and one could go to the standbar with the 5 year old...then the adults could switch. Check out Native Way Watersports...owned by a women from NY and her husband from GC.

On Cozumel, consider hiring a driver for the day. Look into Tours Plaza. They get fabulous traveler reviews, especially their driver Gerry. You can do their driver with a car for $107 for 3 hours and you can rent car seats from them for $10 each. Let him take you around to the south and eastern sides of the island. Or stop at Chocolate Kaokao!

1988 - Norwegian~2004 - RCCL Adventure of the Seas~6/2/2012 - DCL Magic~8/3/2013 - DCL Fantasy~4/5/15 - RCCL Quantum of the Seas
MoxieandPixie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: