Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 10:13 AM   #16
Deslovesdisney08
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBeagle
Our first trip with all three kids was when my youngest was 3. My middle son LOVES characters (and all the princesses). Our first character meal (Crystal Palace) I have a great picture (I'm a terrible mom ) of my youngest with tears steaming down his face. He was so scared the characters! We had to figure out something - one LOVED it and one hated it. So, we had our youngest bring his favorite stuffed frog with him. Froggy got his picture taken with all the characters and our youngest thought that was so much fun. We took pictures of Froggy with the characters - even the photopass people did. It was fun watching the characters interact with Froggy. Chip and Dale played with him for quite awhile and some of the princesses kissed him (hoping for their prince?). Pluto tried to eat him! It was a lot of fun for the whole family and we even made a book called "Froggy's Adventure at Disney World" and gave it to my son at Christmas. We took pictures of him enjoying coffee on the balcony at the Animal Kingdom Lodge; watching TV; getting ready for a bath... everything we could think of. Froggy has gone on three trips with us. This past year youngest got his picture taken with Mickey and some of his friends but still used Froggy for the other ones.
That is such a precious story and such s good idea! We might just have to try that out. Thank you!!

(Me23) (DH25) (DD 3) (DD 2)

Deslovesdisney08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:42 PM   #17
Jewel3k
Mouseketeer

My youngest did not like any of the characters, princesses up close. Its normal. He will now wave at them (Santa Claus and the Chik-Fil-A Cow) from a few feet away. He hid under the table at Chef Mickey's and Cinderella's Royal Table. Hoping next trip back he will be over his fear.
Jewel3k is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-23-2013, 10:50 AM   #18
firsttimer4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deslovesdisney08 View Post
WOW thank you to everyone for feedback! I was thinking that maybe one person would answer but Thats awesome that I received more feedback!

So glad that begining of December will be less crowded than last time! As for character interaction me and my DH def won't be pushing anything on the babies maybe since we will be there more than three days this time my girls will open up more to the idea of them LMBO!

Character meals we only had one last time and it was lunch at tusker house and oh were we embarassed my little girl would scream anytime a character got near our table! I even told our waiter to tell them to skip us, but I don't think they got the message till she got really really loud! However from the picture from Donald you would never know because I held her In it and she was smiling so big! Lol! So thank you for that tip maybe we will try to stand in line and if me or DH hold them Maybe they will be fine.

My DDs are pretty good about sitting down for ts meals so I know we will wanna have atleast one a day I'm hoping that we can do a couple with princesses! I think I have pics of me at the 1900 park fare because I have one of lady tremaine and me lol but not sure if it is or not. I know I've read a lot of posts saying that ppl bring cold breakfasts but we will be flying in so not sure if we would be able to do that so I'm guessing we will be buying three meals a day..

Also thank u for the info about anniversary buttons I've also seen posts about getting special things at dinner? ( yes I lurked disboards a couple weeks before joining lol)

As for shows we saw the beauty and the beast and the FOTLK and my daughter did love those! We could never get a spot were we could actually see a parade so I'm hoping with lower crowds we can watch parades daily! Ah that would be amazing!

Anyone know what rides were their kids favorites?
We are taking our first trip to Disney in a few weeks. We are also flying, but I decided to have a few things delivered to the hotel via Gardengrocer.com. My DD needs food ASAP after waking up. We are on the dining plan so we'll have breakfast in the room every morning but one (we have hollywood and vine reservations). We'll to a CS lunch and a TS dinner everynight. I got things like cereal and milk, Orange juice, Bananas, pop tarts, etc. delivered for breakfast. I'm packing bowls and spoons.
Hope this helps. Have a great trip!

ME DH DS (7) DD (4)

firsttimer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:59 AM   #19
Pesky
"Who's the monkey?!"

Definitely pick up anniversary pins when you check in. When you make dining reservations and accommodation reservations, you can note that you are celebrating your anniversary.

Here's another site with tips:
http://www.tipsfromthedisneydiva.com/

I know there are threads with tips for small kids. One is to familiarize yourself with the childcare/baby centers in the parks because they can provide a nice quiet respite.

DH, the Disney doubter Me DD6 DS4
DLR Plan #2!: Coming soon to a DLR near you
WDW Plan: October 2016 (so very, very far away )
Pesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:16 PM   #20
plutospalforever
Statler & Waldorf

By going at a much less busy time will make a world of difference. Going the week of Christmas has been known to turn adults into babies!
We have taken each one of our children to WDW between the ages of 11 months to 24 months. This Sept will be our youngests first time and he is turning 2 the week before we leave.
You will be amazed at how many rides small children can go on. We have never felt that we missed out on anything because of their age. My kids have loved the Winnie-the-Pooh ride, It's a Small World, Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, Peter Pan's Flight, Main Street train ride and that's just the MK. In fact, there has not been one ride at that age they did not like.
The character thing is a 50/50 chance. They are either in love with them or they are the scariest thing ever for them. I might suggest doing the character meal in the middle of your stay so they have a chance to casually see the characters hangin' around the park and get used to them that way. A good option for a character meal might be the Garden Grill in Epcot because you are seated in more of a "u" shaped booth and you can put the girls in the middle and parents on the outside. That way the characters do not get too close and the kids don't feel like their personal space is being invaded. Just go with the flo and have fun!!!

plutospalforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:29 PM   #21
danceintherain
DIS Veteran

DS liked the shows more than the rides. He actually had a bit of a meltdown when DH tried to take him on Nemo for his first ride. Maybe it was all the movement?
After that he was ok...until I took him on the Barnstormer. He loved it...until we started moving, then he wanted "out" the whole time. Luckily, it's a short ride.
He liked all the slower moving dark rides. He particularly liked the "fireworks" at the end of the Gran Fiesta Boat Ride.

He HATED the carousel. We tried the one at Universal, and he was kicking and screaming and trying to climb off until I took him off, so I didn't even bother with the one at Disney.

DH thought he might be scared at the Haunted Mansion, so he waited outside with him for it. He probably would have been fine, but I don't think DH wanted to ride anyways.

In general, it's a "you won't know until you try" type of situation.
My nephew got very scared on the Living with the Land boat ride...because of the thunder at the beginning, when he was 11 months old. He had trouble with the Circle of Life show because it was loud too.

My DS loved all the loud stuff. He thought cannon fire was great. Granted...he's spent most of his life living near military bases, so he's used to it.
NEXT TRIP: SoG Dec 28-Jan 4, 2015 ~ POFQ Apr 13-20, 2013 ~ CBR: Nov 7-12, 2010 ~ Doubletree Guest Suites: July 8-14, 2009 ~ AKL: Jan 4-13, 2009 ~ Off-Property: New Year's 2006-2007, Spring Break 2001, Florida Resident 1991
danceintherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:19 PM   #22
Tropics
Mouseketeer

Be careful about where you stay that week as Pop Warner (big cheer leading competition) starts Dec 7.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:54 AM   #23
eyeheartgoofy
DIS Veteran

I really like Cinderella's Royal Table with little kids. Everything is served at your table, so you aren't running around trying to pick out food and keep an eye out for the princesses at the same time. It's less chaotic that other character meals IMO. Breakfast at 8:00am on a day when the park opens at 9:00am is pretty nice.
eyeheartgoofy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:28 PM   #24
purpledisneyprncess
DIS Veteran

Since your daughter likes princesses, I think a meal (Breakfast, lunch or dinner) at Cinderella's Royal Table in the Castle would be really nice. Your children if under 3 are free and you just have to pay for you and DH's meal. When reserving, you do have to pay (with CC) up front.
purpledisneyprncess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:55 PM   #25
samacita
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBeagle View Post
Our first trip with all three kids was when my youngest was 3. My middle son LOVES characters (and all the princesses). Our first character meal (Crystal Palace) I have a great picture (I'm a terrible mom ) of my youngest with tears steaming down his face. He was so scared the characters! We had to figure out something - one LOVED it and one hated it. So, we had our youngest bring his favorite stuffed frog with him. Froggy got his picture taken with all the characters and our youngest thought that was so much fun. We took pictures of Froggy with the characters - even the photopass people did. It was fun watching the characters interact with Froggy. Chip and Dale played with him for quite awhile and some of the princesses kissed him (hoping for their prince?). Pluto tried to eat him! It was a lot of fun for the whole family and we even made a book called "Froggy's Adventure at Disney World" and gave it to my son at Christmas. We took pictures of him enjoying coffee on the balcony at the Animal Kingdom Lodge; watching TV; getting ready for a bath... everything we could think of. Froggy has gone on three trips with us. This past year youngest got his picture taken with Mickey and some of his friends but still used Froggy for the other ones.
I LOVE this!!! So creative and respectful of both kids' needs. Parenting win for you! Way to go!!!
samacita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:55 AM   #26
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

One of my kids was terrified of the characters as a child.

Here's what helped: giving her the empty stroller to push!! Having that stroller as a barrier between her and any potential run ins with a character (I know-- incredibly unlikely. But try reasoning with a terrified child.) made a HUGE difference. She was able to wander through the parks with that empty stroller keeping her safe, and it alleviated a lot of her fear.

I've been BOO'ed by pigletgirl!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: