Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2013, 04:55 PM   #61
pharmama
DIS Veteran

I also have one caution about the gift cards. Make sure you check the back of the cards before you buy them and verify that they have not been tampered with. I bought a stack of them once and noticed on my way out of Target that on two of them the sticker covering the last few digits (it's meant to be scratched off but is a sticker) had clearly been peeled off and put back.

People do this, write down all the numbers then wait for someone else to purchase an activate the card. Then they purchase items online or over the phone with the stolen numbers.

Since I noticed it within minutes of completing my purchase they let me return/exchange the cards but if I hadn't noticed it until later I'm sure it would have been a much bigger problem.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Disneyland many times as a child, now sharing the magic with my children....
Disneyland 5K 2014 (as Lilo & DD9 as Stitch), Disneyland 10K 2014 (dressed as Jessie)
Disneyland 1/2 Marathon 2009 & 2010 (dressed as Jessie)
Disney Dream 5nt Double Dip, July 2012.
pharmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:06 PM   #62
dizneekrazee
Fullfilling my bucket list, one vacation at a time....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmama View Post

Yes you can. They are not cash only.

I've never been able to use them at an ice cream cart. Aren't ice cream/drink carts considered movable vendors? Such as the person who sells the glowing things on Main St (who does not accept them, either). I'm not a fan of churros (I know, odd), so can't comment on that. However, I am positive I've had to pay cash for my ice cream & drinks at select locations.

DLR-Many times!!WDWTBD DCLfingers crossed for 10/15
Walt Disney Family Museum 3/12Club 33 8/12, 5/13, 8/13Pixar Animation Studios 1/13Aulani 4/13Walt's Apartment 5/13
dizneekrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-26-2013, 09:35 PM   #63
Gisele
I love honey, but not the sting of bee's
Please do not forget to mail me my chocolate caramel apple before y'all leave

Maybe things have changed since your last visit.
Last month at DCA, i bought a Mickey Bar from an ice cream cart and paid with my Disney gift card.

Last edited by Gisele; 04-26-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Gisele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:42 PM   #64
bcla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmama View Post
I also have one caution about the gift cards. Make sure you check the back of the cards before you buy them and verify that they have not been tampered with. I bought a stack of them once and noticed on my way out of Target that on two of them the sticker covering the last few digits (it's meant to be scratched off but is a sticker) had clearly been peeled off and put back.

People do this, write down all the numbers then wait for someone else to purchase an activate the card. Then they purchase items online or over the phone with the stolen numbers.
Doesn't seem to be very bright, since it's pretty easy to trace to a delivery address once someone reports that the gift card they received is missing some value. Since there's no physical card, it's not as if someone could attempt to use them at a physical store (where there might also be video cameras).

There's also a whole lot of non-activated gift cards that never get sold, so relying on a gift card to be activated would seem to come with risks. These days data storage is so cheap that storing all attempted gift card numbers would be easy.

I have been to a restaurant where someone's gift card was declined. The server indicated that it was the kind sold at a retail store that has to be activated at checkout. If I receive a gift card, I'll usually check the value via a toll-free number on the back.
bcla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:45 PM   #65
gilesmt
DIS Veteran

We have used gift cards for years and ask that family members give us gift cards, there is a way to consolidate if you have to but Disney does not like you to at all so be warned if you are consolidating for different kids, turn them all in and then ask after for the new cards.

Here is how you do it. Purchase the cards, keep reciept but it does not say you have to have it. Go to a Disney store and before you use them ask for your money back. According to the gift card policy, gift cards that have not been used can be returned for cash, and since they are gift cards you should not need your reciept. After you get your money back then have your kids pick the card style they want and give the cash to by a gift card and then you have consolidated your card, we do this for each kid. Believe me Disney hates you doing this, from dirty looks to refusing to sell you the next gift card, or by saying you can only return one card, but be pushy and ask for the policy which clearly states that if they are not used, then they are to be excepted for cash back.
gilesmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:45 PM   #66
bcla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gisele View Post
Maybe things have changed since your last visit.
Last month at DCA, i bought a Mickey Bar from an ice cream cart and paid with my gift card.
I paid for a snack on a plane with a credit card. An ice cream cart is nothing. Retailers can get tiny card readers these days, including some that attach to mobile phones and where the transaction is done via a phone call or via an internet transaction.

OTOH - I'm old enough to remember when credit card transactions could be phoned in to an operator, and when invalid (stolen and/or cancelled) card numbers were printed in a booklet that came out every two weeks. A cashier would look up a card number to see if it was in the book before proceeding.
bcla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:31 AM   #67
pharmama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcla View Post

Doesn't seem to be very bright, since it's pretty easy to trace to a delivery address once someone reports that the gift card they received is missing some value. Since there's no physical card, it's not as if someone could attempt to use them at a physical store (where there might also be video cameras).

There's also a whole lot of non-activated gift cards that never get sold, so relying on a gift card to be activated would seem to come with risks. These days data storage is so cheap that storing all attempted gift card numbers would be easy.
I did not invent the gift card theft/fraud I mentioned in my post.

http://www.snopes.com/fraud/sales/giftcard.asp

I am sure that the cards I purchased had been tampered with for this purpose. I had heard of thus type of fraud but was skeptical it actually occurred for similar reasons you are. But it was quite obvious- I just didn't turn over every one when I took them off the hanger. But I sure check them all now!

Disneyland 5K 2014 (as Lilo & DD9 as Stitch), Disneyland 10K 2014 (dressed as Jessie)
Old 04-27-2013, 01:44 AM   #68
pharmama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneekrazee View Post

I've never been able to use them at an ice cream cart. Aren't ice cream/drink carts considered movable vendors? Such as the person who sells the glowing things on Main St (who does not accept them, either). I'm not a fan of churros (I know, odd), so can't comment on that. However, I am positive I've had to pay cash for my ice cream & drinks at select locations.
I've definitely used them (and regular credit cards) at ice cream and drink carts (and also the more stationary churro, pretzel and popcorn carts). There are a few ice cream carts that they bring out when it's really busy that are a bit smaller/different... Maybe those can't take plastic?

Old 04-27-2013, 02:59 AM   #69
Gisele
I love honey, but not the sting of bee's
Please do not forget to mail me my chocolate caramel apple before y'all leave

Yes exactly one may use it just about anywhere at Disneyland and in DCA.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:18 AM   #70
aliceindisneyland
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenGen22

Can you use them at the ice cream, soda carts & pretzel carts too? ? I thought they only accepted cash.. I could be wrong its just an assumption...
There are a few carts that are cash only, but they will happily direct you to a nearby cart that takes cards. One cart that has been cash only in the past is the soda cart across from Pizza Port -- the soda cart right in front of Pizza Port does take cards--strange but true

Also, (sorry, app doesn't have multiquote!) I let a CM take $1300 in gift cards to run them in the back so I wouldn't have to wait at DLH and it was perfectly fine.
aliceindisneyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:03 AM   #71
mrsmoore
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidibrigham View Post
Where is the best place to purchase gift cards? I see Target mentioned a lot,do they have specials?
We are buying our gift cards at Fred Meyer. We get extra gas points, but Fred Meyer also has a rebate program, so it bumps up our rebate. We do all of our grocery shopping there, so the rebate will help with our groceries!

February 15-19, 2009 - Disneyland, DoubleTree Suites
June 12-17 2010 - Disneyland, Annabella Hotel TRIP REPORT
July 16-22 2013 - Disneyland, Annabella Hotel TRIP REPORT

mrsmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:11 PM   #72
Shelleybeans
See there's this mouse... he kinda has my heart!

I'm thinking about buying a bunch of Disney gift cards on Target.com through ebates.com. Has anyone tried that?
Old 08-19-2013, 10:40 AM   #73
drujaz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelleybeans View Post
I'm thinking about buying a bunch of Disney gift cards on Target.com through ebates.com. Has anyone tried that?
I know there are a few threads about ebates and target as I've read them on this site. Consensus seems to be that its a hit or miss on the ebates. If you search the forum for ebates and target, you should get hits.

Here's one:
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...es+target+gift

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: