Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2013, 04:22 PM   #1
kbnmommy
Dreaming of DW...

cheerleading competition at WDW... help!

I am great (IMHO) at planning a WDW vaca for my family but I just learned that in March 2014 my girls are going to be in a cheerleading competition at WDW. I have NO experience with any competitions or anything there so I would like any advice/info from anyone who has been there. It will be the UCA comp and I know they will give me more info later but I am antsy to pre-plan thing. I am a planner.....
Does anyone know if I have to purchase a room and/or tickets through the comp?
What if I have my own tickets?
Thank you!
Old 04-26-2013, 06:31 PM   #2
jodirn2
Earning My Ears

My sil was down this March for a comp with her daughter. It seems they like to set most of the competitors and families up at the All Star resorts. My sil did not have to purchase the package they offered but to make it easier for her daughter for practice and time with the team it only made sense. Also, the transportation busses to Wide World of Sports only left from All Star Sports resort . If I were you I would wait until your daughters gym gives you some information on where they intend to stay. This will make the trip easier for you.😀
jodirn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-26-2013, 10:46 PM   #3
4kids4karen
DIS Veteran

Don't do anything until you get more info from you gym. I am a cheer mom and when we travel out of state the gym does a group booking making it mandatory that all families book through the gym. Every gym is different but most likely they will want all the girls in the same hotel so they can practice and have accountability of all the girls. Some cheer competitions, you won't even make it to a park unless you plan to stay over a few days on a separate booking.
4kids4karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:50 PM   #4
cheer25mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbnmommy View Post
I am great (IMHO) at planning a WDW vaca for my family but I just learned that in March 2014 my girls are going to be in a cheerleading competition at WDW. I have NO experience with any competitions or anything there so I would like any advice/info from anyone who has been there. It will be the UCA comp and I know they will give me more info later but I am antsy to pre-plan thing. I am a planner.....
Does anyone know if I have to purchase a room and/or tickets through the comp?
What if I have my own tickets?
Thank you!
Gem of Champions? I believe you are going to have to get the package tickets. We sent a team to worlds for the first time from our gym, and it was my understanding from talking to those parents that you had to get tickets with the on site packages. Mabye talking to some level 5 moms when they get back will give you a better idea of what to expect. I would love for our gym to consider NCA, but I don't think it will happen because of the cost involved.

Last edited by cheer25mom; 04-27-2013 at 12:02 AM.
cheer25mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:58 PM   #5
cheer25mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kids4karen View Post
Don't do anything until you get more info from you gym. I am a cheer mom and when we travel out of state the gym does a group booking making it mandatory that all families book through the gym. Every gym is different but most likely they will want all the girls in the same hotel so they can practice and have accountability of all the girls. Some cheer competitions, you won't even make it to a park unless you plan to stay over a few days on a separate booking.
I think every gym does it a little differently because we are on our own for travel comps and parents are totally responsible for their kid at all times. We make our own reservations and travel on our own.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:37 AM   #6
mamaprincess
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Don't worry your gym will have everything organized and you will just pay them for your package. The package makes sense. It was my DD's first year and it was all handled by her gym so don't do anything on your own.
mamaprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:39 AM   #7
pumpkinjl
Mouseketeer

I'm sorry to butt in ... But, do you have the actual dates in March for the competition?
pumpkinjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:44 AM   #8
PWammy
Mouseketeer

We just spent a night at All Star Music (after a cruise); some world competition is going on now and they seemed to be primarily at the All Star resorts (based on the bus). It was interesting to see how some teams were clearly under supervision of their teams/coaches and others really seemed to be on their own with their parents. It was interesting though.
PWammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:06 AM   #9
cheer25mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinjl View Post
I'm sorry to butt in ... But, do you have the actual dates in March for the competition?
It is March 15-16.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:51 PM   #10
pumpkinjl
Mouseketeer

Thanks!
pumpkinjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:24 PM   #11
kbnmommy
Dreaming of DW...

cheer25mom, you must be local to know my gym.
Thanks for the help. We plan on making it a bit of a longer vaca, staying 5 extra days. I think what I will do is plan for my part then just book the comp days through the gym when it is time.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:58 PM   #12
cheer25mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
cheer25mom, you must be local to know my gym.
Thanks for the help. We plan on making it a bit of a longer vaca, staying 5 extra days. I think what I will do is plan for my part then just book the comp days through the gym when it is time.
CF1 in Mobile.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:59 PM   #13
doodlesmommy
I have my feet planted in Baltimore but Georgia on my mind.

We'll be there too; my daughter cheers for Maryland Allstars. We plan to stay at Coronado Springs, in fact most of her team will be there. UCA put out packages but the prices weren't much different than staying at a moderate resort. We will likely take a cab from our Resort to Wide World of Sports for day 1 competiton. I've been told by UCA Staff that they will likely compete at Hollywood Studios for day 2. We plan to stay a few days before and after for a little vacation, should be fun.

March, 2007 - Disney Wonder
April, 2008 - Wilderness Lodge
October, 2009 - Port Orleans/French Quarter
August, 2010 - Coronado Springs Resort
September, 2011 - Coronado Springs Resort
January, 2013 - 1/2 Marathon
doodlesmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 09:16 PM   #14
djmeredith
DIS Veteran

Quote:
cheer25mom, you must be local to know my gym. Thanks for the help. We plan on making it a bit of a longer vaca, staying 5 extra days. I think what I will do is plan for my part then just book the comp days through the gym when it is time.
If you book through the gym, you will have NO control over your reservation. Only the group leader is allowed to make any changes to your res and check you in. Group leader controls everything. I'm a self admitted control freak and I will never book with a sports group again. If you're extending your trip, you should book your whole trip separately through the sports reservation line. You can get the same deal as the group by booking what is called a "Spectator Package." Then you will control your own res. You are allowed to add extra park days and hotel nights to a spectator package, but extra park days must be added before you arrive. Another lesson learned when I paid gate price for one day. Many group leaders don't even tell the families that they have a choice of hotels, usually All Star Sports and one of the moderates (Carribean Beach I think).
Old 01-08-2014, 11:49 PM   #15
Fionasmommy
DIS Veteran
I don't know about you, but I'm not too proud to beg!

I'm giving this a bump in case the OP or anyone else is still planning for this competition! We're going too and it's our first time at this competition - or at any cheer comp at Disney! Just paid our deposits today and can't wait, but I would love to know what to expect, schedule-wise!

3/14: All Star Sports • 10/13: Coronado Springs • 6/11: Port Orleans French Quarter • 4/10: Polynesian • 1/09: All Star Movies • 12/07: Wilderness Lodge/Animal Kingdom split-stay • 7/07:Wilderness Lodge • 10/06: Caribbean Beach • 5/06: Port Orleans French Quarter
Fionasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: