Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 08:58 PM   #91
shmoogrrrl
Tigger Goddess
Has discovered the mysterious and elusive tag fairie
Has a fondness for 7624

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAndNick View Post
Does that make you Miss Moneypenny?

James Bond: Hmm, never seen you after hours, Moneypenny... lovely.
Miss Moneypenny: Thank you, James.
James Bond: Out on some kind of fashion assignment, dressing to kill?
Miss Moneypenny: I know you'll find this crushing, 007, but I don't sit at home every night praying for some international incident so I can run down here all dressed up to impress James Bond. I was on a date,
James Bond: Moneypenny, I'm devastated.
Haha! I guess it does.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:31 PM   #92
TinkGirl
DIS Veteran

Does the 3day Dream have a semi formal night?

POR, DVC since 2005 (SSR, BWV, AKL, BCV, VWL, OKW, HH, BLT), Disney Dream, HR Universal, Gaylord Palms, 2015 Princess 10K
TinkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-25-2013, 09:35 PM   #93
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkGirl View Post
Does the 3day dream have a semi formal night?
The 3 night (and 4 night, for that matter) have a Dress Up Optional night.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:14 PM   #94
Jiminy'sGirl
DIS Veteran

I also like to dress up for dinner - one night of formal is perfect, cruise casual (a nice sundress, khakis and button down for men) is wonderful for the others. I feel it is part of the fun and the "specialness" of a cruise -- this isn't taking the family to Chili's on a Tuesday because I am too tired to cook... this is my vacation. All this is only an opinion, of course.

I also agree that there needs to be a shorts option for those times you just can't summon the energy to shower and shave and blowdry and put on uncomfortable undergarments. And that option should be just as tasty!

Cruise lines want to associate themselves with elegance, opulence and pampering. You lose that mood when you have a fancy, ostentatious dining room full of people in less-than ostentatious clothing. It is a slippery slope. We all love Disney BECAUSE they give us that pampered feeling... to stay separated from those "other" cruise lines, they need their dress code rules.

And we, of course, need a place to eat for that one night out of 4 or 5 or 7 that we are too sunburned and exhausted from a great port adventure to get "dressed up."

Etsy ID: ALPhandmade
Jiminy'sGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:02 PM   #95
mcd2745
You're only young once, but you have your whole life to be immature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiminy'sGirl View Post
Cruise lines want to associate themselves with elegance, opulence and pampering. You lose that mood when you have a fancy, ostentatious dining room full of people in less-than ostentatious clothing. It is a slippery slope. We all love Disney BECAUSE they give us that pampered feeling... to stay separated from those "other" cruise lines, they need their dress code rules.

Maybe that's where I differ or where I'm going wrong. I don't think of those things when I think of cruising. I consider cruising the ultimate laid-back vacation (as opposed to, say, WDW which is usually "go, go, go"). And formal wear & "laid back" do not exactly go hand-in-hand.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:08 PM   #96
wilkeliza
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcd2745 View Post

Maybe that's where I differ or where I'm going wrong. I don't think of those things when I think of cruising. I consider cruising the ultimate laid-back vacation (as opposed to, say, WDW which is usually "go, go, go"). And formal wear & "laid back" do not exactly go hand-in-hand.
Cruising originally was about elegance and service and also about transport. You typically got a ship if you need to go somewhere and cruising allowed you to do so in style. Now we have commercial vacation cruises. Some want relaxation when they vacation and others want what cruises use to offer which is elegance.

The one line that comes to mind with elegance is Seaborn cruises. My boyfriend and his family sail them often and well no formal wear means room service for you that night. Every night of their Mediterranean cruise required dress shirts and slacks for men dresses or dress shirt and slacks for women and children were not excluded. On formal night jacket and tie were required. Everyone including the 6 year old followed the rules. However the difference is this company is a luxury cruise liner and Disney is a family cruise line.

I don't care for dressing up and except for Pirate night I did dress up. I would have even figured something out for pirates night had I had enough time to change before the party.
wilkeliza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:53 AM   #97
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I also agree that there needs to be a shorts option for those times you just can't summon the energy to shower and shave and blowdry and put on uncomfortable undergarments. And that option should be just as tasty!
One thing about the European cruises we've experienced on DCL is that on port days, the dining staff encourages you to "come as you are" to the dining rooms to eat rather than skipping dinner because you've just gotten back onboard and there's not much time to change. So if you've been in shorts and t-shirts in the port all day and get back onboard right around dinner time, they'd rather you just drop your stuff off in your cabin, wash your hands and face, and come have a dinner they have waiting for you than to not show up for dinner. Of course on sea-days, then you have plenty of time to get ready for dinner

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:56 AM   #98
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Cruise lines want to associate themselves with elegance, opulence and pampering. You lose that mood when you have a fancy, ostentatious dining room full of people in less-than ostentatious clothing.

I think you 'loose the mood' when the wait staff parades thru the dining room carrying flags and singing "It's a small world after all" or when a fish starts talking and calling kids 'dude' at a table.

And therein lies the problem. Disney is shooting for a fun, family atmosphere not an ostentatious atmosphere. They want people to dress up if the want to but don't want to ruin someone's cruise by telling them "You can't come in here dressed like THAT you slobs! What are you a buch of rednecks or something!?" :-)

Anyway, I think they've hit a good balance with their current approach. For the short cruises, they have 'optional dress up' and for the longer cruises they have one 'formal' night to provide cover for people who like to dress up for dinner but don't want to seem ostentatious.
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Rogillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:13 AM   #99
Jiminy'sGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogillio View Post
I think you 'loose the mood' when the wait staff parades thru the dining room carrying flags and singing "It's a small world after all" or when a fish starts talking and calling kids 'dude' at a table.

And therein lies the problem. Disney is shooting for a fun, family atmosphere not an ostentatious atmosphere. They want people to dress up if the want to but don't want to ruin someone's cruise by telling them "You can't come in here dressed like THAT you slobs! What are you a buch of rednecks or something!?" :-)

Anyway, I think they've hit a good balance with their current approach. For the short cruises, they have 'optional dress up' and for the longer cruises they have one 'formal' night to provide cover for people who like to dress up for dinner but don't want to seem ostentatious.
I agree. Duuuuuude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdisneymom View Post
One thing about the European cruises we've experienced on DCL is that on port days, the dining staff encourages you to "come as you are" to the dining rooms to eat rather than skipping dinner because you've just gotten back onboard and there's not much time to change. So if you've been in shorts and t-shirts in the port all day and get back onboard right around dinner time, they'd rather you just drop your stuff off in your cabin, wash your hands and face, and come have a dinner they have waiting for you than to not show up for dinner. Of course on sea-days, then you have plenty of time to get ready for dinner
This is a great idea!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcd2745 View Post
True. NO one scoffs a shorts and tank tops a 'Ohana because people have been schlepping around a theme park for 12 hours in 90 degree temps. Cruises give you the time and stateroom-accesibilty to change. Theoretically. I guess in the end it doesn't bother me if people are in shorts at Lumiere's and why would it?

Etsy ID: ALPhandmade
Jiminy'sGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:32 PM   #100
Maddysdaddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoogrrrl View Post
My husband isn't one of them. He LOVES any excuse to wear his tux. It makes him feel like James Bond or something.
Ummm heck yeah.

Pretending to be James Bond, with our significant other in the role of Bond Girl (or guy, as the case may be), is preeeetty much the number one reason a guy puts on a tux.

Some guys may 'claim' that they do it just to look good, but I 100,000,000% guarantee you that every single guy who puts on a tux, looks at himself in the mirror in profile, puts his index fingers together to make his hands look look like a gun, and does the quick turn to face the mirror, all while humming the James Bond theme.
Maddysdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: