Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 06:24 AM   #1
emttink
Earning My Ears

Question Help! How to make a trip to WDW extra special after Deployments!

Trying to plan a trip to WDW after I return from deployment from Afghanistan for over 200 days How can I make this trip extra special for our 3 year old and 9 year old daughters. We will be staying at the Wilderness Lodge for 8 days and 7 nights. The girls have given up so much due to the deployment I want to give back to them! Any help would be GREAT!!!
emttink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:31 AM   #2
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

Honestly, I think that just being with you will make it as special as it can be.

Thanks on behalf of a grateful nation for all you and your family have sacrificed to keep us safe.

OK, now to answer your question: I would suggest booking a dinner at Chef Mickey's and one at 1900 Park Fare (dinner.) If you're working with a travel agent, ask about getting in to the Tomorrowland Terrace Dessert Party. (It can be booked without an agent, but they open up the reservations one month at a time, with no apparent rhyme or reason on the timing. Last year I asked our travel agent to book it, and it was all done one day when I got home from work.)

The Assistant Principal at my school went to the Wilderness Lodge once and LOVED it!!! I'm sure you'll have a fabulous time!!

I just realized my ticker is wrong!! We leave July 29th!!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club We're going to the Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-21-2013, 08:01 AM   #3
Elleshoodat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliceacc View Post
Honestly, I think that just being with you will make it as special as it can be.

Thanks on behalf of a grateful nation for all you and your family have sacrificed to keep us safe.

OK, now to answer your question: I would suggest booking a dinner at Chef Mickey's and one at 1900 Park Fare (dinner.) If you're working with a travel agent, ask about getting in to the Tomorrowland Terrace Dessert Party. (It can be booked without an agent, but they open up the reservations one month at a time, with no apparent rhyme or reason on the timing. Last year I asked our travel agent to book it, and it was all done one day when I got home from work.)

The Assistant Principal at my school went to the Wilderness Lodge once and LOVED it!!! I'm sure you'll have a fabulous time!!
This is what I was going to say. Your being home with them -- better yet, at Disney World! -- will be more than special enough.

Thank you for your service! I hope your trip is magical.

Thanksgiving 1988, Offsite * June 1991, Beach Club * Easter 1995, Dixie Landings * June 1999, All-Star Movies * Easter 2005, Offsite * September 2007, Caribbean Beach * October 2008, Lake Buena Vista Best Western * May 2009, Port Orleans Riverside * October 2009, Port Orleans Riverside * April 2010, Port Orleans French Quarter * May 2012, Port Orleans French Quarter (Read our trip report here!) * October 2013, Wilderness Lodge
Elleshoodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:19 AM   #4
Mrs Green
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliceacc

Thanks on behalf of a grateful nation for all you and your family have sacrificed !!
Couldn't agree more. Thank you!

Maybe book a character meal or a special event that is specific to each of your children's favorite things (consider going to fort wilderness for the chip and dale campfire and movie or a horseback ride, a princess or pirate makeover, the luau at the Polynesian, etc etc).

No matter what you are going to have a fantastic time!
Mrs Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:40 AM   #5
jac1976
Mouseketeer

We went to WDW after DH's first deployment. For us, the best was just having an afternoon at the resort, playing together and spending time in the pools, etc. WDW was fun, but you get very focused on everything around you- the characters, rides, etc. It was nice to have time to just focus on being a family again.

Are you married? If so, I would also suggest maybe asking your spouse if he/she wanted some time alone- maybe a spa day or something relaxing for your spouse and some special time for you just you and the kids. As much as I was happy to see my hubby when he came home after his deployments, I also desperately wanted just some time away from the children after having them by myself for so long.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #6
Mama Who
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emttink View Post
Trying to plan a trip to WDW after I return from deployment from Afghanistan for over 200 days How can I make this trip extra special for our 3 year old and 9 year old daughters. We will be staying at the Wilderness Lodge for 8 days and 7 nights. The girls have given up so much due to the deployment I want to give back to them! Any help would be GREAT!!!
I agree with others that just showing up is going to make it special.

Do they do Flag Retreat at WDW? That might be a nice thing to share with them. I know at DL it is lovely.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:59 PM   #7
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Who View Post
I agree with others that just showing up is going to make it special.

Do they do Flag Retreat at WDW? That might be a nice thing to share with them. I know at DL it is lovely.
Every day at 5 pm town square to the OP thank you, your whole family, for your service

Being together is the best pickup "I'm Celebrating" buttons at City Hall or Guest Relations and have the CM write family reunited after deployment OR have some t-shirts made saying this there's even a store at DTD " Disney Design-a-Tee" nice graphics/Hanes shirt forget the prices but I felt reasonable They had a large amount of graphics to chose from , maybe a patriotic character ?

Again thank you SO much

a story of renewed hope & the power of the Dis:UPDATE 7/19http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3111056

Luvchefmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:07 PM   #8
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliceacc View Post
Yes, this. You will be home from deployment. You will be taking your children to WDW. That's mind blowingly awesome all by itself.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:27 PM   #9
GoofyFairie
DIS Veteran

One thing we did at the Lodge that was nice was paly a game. In the lobby of the WLVillas in the room to the right when you enter throught the front door is a checkers board and chinese checker board. We sat with our kids and taught them to play and spent an afternoon enjoying some quiet time together. We find that everyday life can make it hard to just do family things so when we vacation we really focus on our family. You can see some of Walts train cars there too.

I want to say THANK YOU to you and your family for your service and sacrifices. I really appreciate the freedoms that life in the USA allows me because of you and others like you, both past and present. God bless you!

I hope your trip is filled with pixie dust !

I've been Boo'd! Thank you suprgrlx! And agnes!
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day!
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow and tomorrow's just a dream away!
GoofyFairie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:45 AM   #10
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

One thing that may make it more fun, at least for your older daughter, is to let her in on some of the planning.

You can order the Disney for Kids book for her-- have her look at the rides and attractions, maybe follow up by looking at the youtube videos. Have her help plan which things she'll enjoy, and which things her sister would enjoy-- and which things she'll think you'll especiallly enjoy. As much as you want to make this special for her, I imagine she'll want to make it special for you. Give her that opportunity.

Order the free planning video; your kids will watch it over and over and over again.

Oh, and have her read up on Hidden Mickeys. The two of them can research online and have fun at WDW trying to find them.

Also, build in lots of pool time, when your family can just be together and horse around.

Stay safe.

I just realized my ticker is wrong!! We leave July 29th!!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club We're going to the Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)

Last edited by Aliceacc; 04-25-2013 at 04:39 AM.
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:21 PM   #11
gritzel4
Domestic Goddess

The WL has a flag family - you can only book it there in person and is hard to get but worth a shot.

The GF Garden View Tea Room afternoon tea (they do a Princess one but IMHO is too much $$$) so I take my DD to the regular afternoon tea.

This September my family has booked a mini-portrait session with Disney Photograhy. 20 minute session at Poly (other locations available) for $150 - memories for a lifetime!

Thank you for your service and the sacrifices that your family endures for our freedom - God Bless!

Tim Melissa David Megan
gritzel4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:23 PM   #12
kcchief
Mouseketeer

Thank you for your service. It's people like you that allow the rest of us to live the lives we live and enjoy the freedoms we have. I dont think that can be appreciated enough.

Like the previous posters have said Just being at disney with your family after all you been through will be special in itself. But one thing I can think of that I didnt see posted on her yet would be an in room surprise from Disney Floral and Gifts. Its looks like they can be a little pricy, but every thing I have read says they do a really nice job. The website is www.disneyflorist.com if you want to take a look.

I hope you and your family have a magical time. You deserve it!
Old 04-24-2013, 08:29 PM   #13
rjb123
Mouseketeer

I have to say, I am all weepy reading your post. God Bless you and your family for serving! I hope that your trip is full of magic, pixie dust and special memories. Stay safe and thank your for all that you have done.
rjb123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:29 PM   #14
Ariel on Land
DIS Veteran

We took our twins to WDW after DH's first deployment to Afghanistan in 2010- didn't do anything particular to make it "special" but just enjoyed being together again. It was a great trip, and the boys have asked to go back SO MANY TIMES since then. Well, DH's deployed now again, and we're planning another trip. This time, it will be with DD, who was our little souvenir from the last trip!!! They've already asked if we're going back since Daddy will have been gone a long time. We're making it a surprise and aren't telling them until the morning of! I don't think you have to do anything special-- just go!! Hang in there and be safe! These deployments just stink!!!!! Hoping yours ends soon!

1990-offsite, 1996-offsite, 2008-SOG, 2009-CBR, 2010-CBR, 2013- AoA, 2014-POP

Ariel on Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:41 PM   #15
twoglasslippers
Earning My Ears

Thank you for your service! I agree with Ariel- you won't have to do anything to make it extra special. We went on vacation when my husband returned from deplyment last year and just the fact that our family was together again made it magical! The feelings that they will experience just being near you will make it a vacation they will never forget! I hope you have an amazing time! Stay safe over there.

twoglasslippers is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: